• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question of the week

The Mario film just came out and it was a rousing success.
What is your dream Video Game IP film?

At this point, it is clear that the Super Mario Bros Movie is a run away success, reviewers be damned. The sky is the limit for where things could go at this point for Nintendo and everyone else. So I want to know, what is your dream video game film? I don't want to hear what is only possible. I don't want to hear about what is feasible or realistic. I am giving out a blank check here. You can get anything made with it. What are you asking for?

My dream film: Star Fox. Yes, I know I am a big Star Fox fan so it shouldn't be a surprise, but we need more Star Fox in our lives. Give me an animated Star Fox film already!

So what say you Fami?
This is tough. If you only get one film, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about a Metroid film in particular and I think done right it could be incredible even if it doesn’t make tons of money. Which in Metroid’s case yeah it’s always been a prestige series rather than a money maker.

Some longer games like RPGs, I think need multiple films to really adapt well and I think that’s why we tend not to see them. Maybe someone could make an awesome Chrono Trigger anime film series for example. I know I’d love a Magia Record film trilogy by Shaft that adheres to the games rather than diverging like the TV anime did.

There’s a few series out there too where I’d love if they did original adventures rather than adaptations per se. Like the Professor Layton movie was awesome for this reason. Stuff like Uncharted (never saw the film) and Ace Attorney would work well like this.

In about two hours I'll be seeing the SMB Movie at Universal City Walk, and tomorrow morning I'll be going to Super Nintendo World.

Despite the turbulence of the last few weeks, I'm really happy right now.

This year Nintendo has had about one game a month, alternating between new and remakes/remasters throughout. It's a slow, transitional year so I think that will continue.

July: Pikmin 4
August: Paper Mario TTYD HD
September: Rhythm Heaven / Wario Land Switch
October: F-Zero GX HD
November: Metroid Prime 4
December: Kid Icarus Uprising HD

Every time I go inside a building I’m thinking “where are the exits? Where can I hide or take cover if needed?” and it’s f-ing depressing me.

This year Nintendo has had about one game a month, alternating between new and remakes/remasters throughout. It's a slow, transitional year so I think that will continue.

By May, Nintendo would have published Fire Emblem Engage, Metroid Prime Remaster, Kirby Return to Dreamland, Bayonetta Origins, Advance Wars Reboot Camp, and Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. It's that has been slow then you must have thought the beginning of every other Switch year was a damn crawl.

I would move the TTYD remaster into September, have August to have Baten Kaitos 1 & 2 HD (because this is technically a Nintendo-developed title), Metroid Prime 4 and Kid Icarus Uprising HD would likely be released in 2024, November will have a new title from NDCube which I would love them to see developing the next Rhythm Heaven but it is just a wishful thinking, maybe one more random title, and I also don't think that Wario Land is getting a new Switch title at all even it may be possible if Wario Land: Shake It is Good Feel's next port after Monkey Barrels' PC port.

cfHAlMw.png

Random pet peeve: Youtubers who do analysis videos of trailers that put the entire trailer unedited within their videos in a very obvious attempt to extend the run time.

I would move the TTYD remaster into September, have August to have Baten Kaitos 1 & 2 HD (because this is technically a Nintendo-developed title), Metroid Prime 4 and Kid Icarus Uprising HD would likely be released in 2024, November will have a new title from NDCube which I would love them to see developing the next Rhythm Heaven but it is just a wishful thinking, maybe one more random title, and I also don't think that Wario Land is getting a new Switch title at all even it may be possible if Wario Land: Shake It is Good Feel's next port after Monkey Barrels' PC port.
Baten Kaitos is being developed by Namco, not MS.

I just spent an hour arguing why sports teams shouldnt let one player have 00 for a number if another player has 0

”how’s that any different from one player having 1 and another having 11??”

”BECAUSE 1 and 11 are different numbers that have different VALUES! 00 and 0 are the same number!”

“But this isn’t math class, the numbers value doesn‘t matter. It’s just there to help the ref more easily identify a player. Refs can just as easily tell the difference between 00 and 0 as they can 11 and 1 regardless of their practical real number values”

”Why not 000 then? Or 00000! Let’s keep going and have every player just be different numbers of zeros because fuck individual numbers I guess! Let’s just all agree to read sports numbers in binary while we are at it”

”triple digit numbers aren’t allowed so 000 wouldn’t be allowed anyway”

”000 ISNT A TRIPLE DIGIT NUMBER IS A ZERO DIGIT NUMBER BECAUSE ITS FUCKING ZEROO!”

this just kept going

I played Breath of the Wild from start to finish on Wii U; my Switch wouldn't arrive until April 2017 (with another copy of the game); and gotta be real.. I barely touched it when finally arrived lol

I played Super Bomberman R way more

By May, Nintendo would have published Fire Emblem Engage, Metroid Prime Remaster, Kirby Return to Dreamland, Bayonetta Origins, Advance Wars Reboot Camp, and Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. It's that has been slow then you must have thought the beginning of every other Switch year was a damn crawl.

Seems like you listed about half remasters/remakes and half new games. If only I had used that exact same metric in my previous post.

I just spent an hour arguing why sports teams shouldnt let one player have 00 for a number if another player has 0

”BECAUSE 1 and 11 are different numbers that have different VALUES! 00 and 0 are the same number!”

“But this isn’t math class, the numbers value doesn‘t matter. It’s just there to help the ref more easily identify a player. Refs can just as easily tell the difference between 00 and 0 as they can 11 and 1 regardless of their practical real number values”

”Why not 000 then? Or 00000! Let’s keep going and have every player just be different numbers of zeros because fuck individual numbers I guess! Let’s just all agree to read sports numbers in binary while we are at it”

”000 ISNT A TRIPLE DIGIT NUMBER IS A ZERO DIGIT NUMBER BECAUSE ITS FUCKING ZEROO!”

this just kept going
Were you arguing with a roulette table or roulette operator? 😂

(Yes it’s stupid)

Last edited:
it’s almost like you can immediately identify transphobes by seeing who uses the pronouns field as a mockery
I once queried all the unique values in the user table's pronoun field just because I wanted to find some of them

Is it me or is the Wii/Gamecube/PS2 realm of graphics especially well suited to making games seem creepy?
Something about the low precision of SD resolution, texturing, and colouring just makes it feel extra eerie and liminal.

1280x720.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Ended up trading in a few old games today for some e-shop gift cards. Picked up Dredge, A Space For the Unbound, and Joker for Smash. I know what I'm doing for my next two days off!

An animated adaptation of Sayonara Wild Hearts with an expanded story.

I can dream, dammit! I can dream!
Okay I was struggling hard thinking of what movie I'd want but this is definitely it. I'm seconding a Sayonara Wild Hearts movie!

Kid Icarus Uprising HD is almost certainly not a thing, dunno why everyone assumes it's a given

if I keep saying this it'll happen... right?

this just kept going

I agree with your logic

I'm just here laying in bed thinking about how crazy and violent people are and it's depressing. I just can't understand why people are like this. Not to mention I feel alone as hell and worried about my medication as I only have about 2 weeks left and I still haven't gotten approval for my refill and I heard withdrawals are a mfer if you stop taking it and Im worried my suicidal thoughts might come back if I can't get it refilled. I wonder if I can even sleep tonight.

Good morning folks, back from the easter holidays. Did something happen while i was having family time?

Btw. for the OT for May, i propose the following subtitle: ZeldaZeldaZeldaZeldaZelda

I think a potential Paper Mario remaster could release much like Prime Remastered did, and I hope that's something Nintendo continues to embrace.
Fan favorites dropping from nowhere, that's just chefs kiss. I think fan favorite games sell no matter, releasing in special ways like this probably increase sales compared to a pro-longed "hype" circle.

If there's a Nintendo event in june (probably not) it could fit the bill for a shadowdrop, much like they threw in Prime remaster in a time where there already was a bunch of first party games releasing.

more than that, even during the covid years? I don't know what to tell you dude, it's a slow year. The direct in Feb did not announce a single new game.

Neither Covid year had more first party games released in the 5 first months of the year than Switch in 2023 though? The only year which has had more than 6 first party releases in it's first 5 months are... 2018.

Okay, so I know this isn't the type of thing people usually talk about here, but I am curious. Zippo corroborated Golden Sun back in 2021, but he also said that it is not happening anytime soon. I know people take issue with him and he tends to report rumours that other people have already reported at the time, but given it's been corroborated by more than one person, as well as Emily saying that Golden Sun is on the cards, I am becoming more and more inclined to believe that something might be happening with it sometime in the future, but nobody has a definitive idea as to when.

So, the question is: How would you guys want a Golden Sun remake handled if one were to happen?

I'm thinking about playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons again.

The beginning is by far the most fun part of the game in my opinion, so I'm thinking about restarting.
But then I'll lose the ~10-20 homes I made in Happy Home Paradise... So I'm still doubting it.

Any ideas on how to keep the game interesting? Maybe some restrictions or goals I can set for myself?

Is it me or is the Wii/Gamecube/PS2 relam of graphics especially well suited to making games seem creepy?
Something about the low precision of SD resolution, texturing, and colouring just makes it feel extra eerie and liminal.

71816_image-ProjectZero2-BRIGHT-Villagers.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Resident Evil 4, GameCube and a rather big CRT was incredible, I thought I‘m playing a movie and the lighting was so awesome. My girlfriend back then just liked watching me playing the game and she was scared.

this just kept going
I mean... they're right though. The numbers on jerseys are symbols, not something denoting value. By convention, we read 11 as "eleven", but that doesn't mean reading it as "one-one" is wrong in this context. And in the latter interpretation, 00 is as distinct from 0 as 11 is from 1.

For another example, take phone numbers. In many countries, all area codes begin with 0. But you can't just omit the 0 when you type the number (sometimes you can omit the full area code, but AFAIK never just the 0). Or like... phone passcodes. 0012 is not the same as 12

this just kept going
damn, they had you heated

I think a potential Paper Mario remaster could release much like Prime Remastered did, and I hope that's something Nintendo continues to embrace.
Fan favorites dropping from nowhere, that's just chefs kiss. I think fan favorite games sell no matter, releasing in special ways like this probably increase sales compared to a pro-longed "hype" circle.

If there's a Nintendo event in june (probably not) it could fit the bill for a shadowdrop, much like they threw in Prime remaster in a time where there already was a bunch of first party games releasing.

Neither Covid year had more first party games released in the 5 first months of the year than Switch in 2023 though? The only year which has had more than 6 first party releases in it's first 5 months are... 2018.
I have had several posts now where I have made clear I am talking about the balance between new games and remasters/remakes. There are three new games for the first half of this year and that is very low. Nintendo is clearly relying on a bunch of older games to flesh out the release schedule. Because it's a slow year.

I'm done responding to replies about this.

Big theory

Generally Nintendo like to release a Mario game at June

2019: Maker 2
2020: Origami King (it was delayed to July)
2021: Golf Super Rush
2022: Strikers Battle League
2023: TTYD Remaster? (Shadowdropped at june event like MP1 was past direct)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom