• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must just be a stupid shmuck.

Just watched the first few minutes of an MVG video titled “Nintendo 64 emulation on the Nintendo Switch is not good…” with the thumbnail for the video saying “Prepare for Disappointment.” After that, I stupidly waded into the Reddit comments for the video (which will likely be the last time I visit r/NintendoSwitch.)

I understand there are issues that people would like to see fixed, but man, I feel incredible disconnect from the discourse around the N64 games. Nothing I’ve played so far has left me feeling as sour and bitter as everyone else seems to be. In fact, when I first played on launch night, I was thinking “this is pretty great!” Only to wake up yesterday morning (and again today too) to a storm raging on about how shitty the emulation is.

That leads me to believe that I must be the one with the problem, because the games feel fine to me. (I’ve owned every single NA release of Mario 64, for example, but within minutes felt perfectly at home on the NSO N64 version.) Don’t get me wrong, I can understand people wanting them to do something about the fog in Ocarina or find a work around for using the rumble and save pak at the same time, and I hope Nintendo does figure something out for issues like those, but some of the quirks (like the latter) seem relatively understandable to me.

Oh well, I’ll keep on enjoying what I find enjoyable, I suppose. I’m in no position to look down on others for what they feel are the failures of the service, I just wish I could square away my personal perception of the way the games play with the way that everyone else seemingly views them (or at least claim to.)

Last edited:
Nintendo need to add folders and ways to organise my Switch icons so I can pin the four NSO apps together and look at them and think and or say "that sure is four related things stuck together".
I mean you could just play each of them then never touch them again

Just watched the first few minutes of an MVG video titled “Nintendo 64 emulation on the Nintendo Switch is not good…” with the thumbnail for the video saying “Prepare for Disappointment.” After that, I stupidly waded into the Reddit comments for the video (which will likely be the last time I visit r/NintendoSwitch.)

I understand there are issues that people would like to see fixed, but man, I feel incredible disconnect from the discourse around the N64 games. Nothing I’ve played so far has left me feeling as sour and bitter as everyone else seems to be. I’m fact, when I first played on launch night, I was thinking “this is pretty great!” Only to wake up yesterday morning (and again today too) to a storm raging on about how shitty the emulation is.

That leads me to believe that I must be the one with the problem, because the games feel fine to me. (I’ve owned every single NA release of Mario 64, for example, but within minutes felt perfectly at home on the NSO N64 version.) Don’t get me wrong, I can understand people wanting them to do something about the fog in Ocarina or find a work around for using the rumble and save pak at the same time, and I hope Nintendo does figure something out for issues like those, but some of the quirks (like the latter) seem relatively understandable to me.

Oh well, I’ll keep on enjoying what I find enjoyable, I suppose. I’m in no position to look down on others for what they feel are the failures of the service, I just wish I could square away my personal perception of the way the games play with the way that everyone else seemingly views them (or at least claim to.)
that subreddit has always been a cesspool lol. Great part of the discourse there is the definition of bad faith.

I understand there are issues that people would like to see fixed, but man, I feel incredible disconnect from the discourse around the N64 games. Nothing I’ve played so far has left me feeling as sour and bitter as everyone else seems to be. I’m fact, when I first played on launch night, I was thinking “this is pretty great!” Only to wake up yesterday morning (and again today too) to a storm raging on about how shitty the emulation is.

No, you definitely don't have a problem. The N64 games are not perfect, and need a bit more work, but far from shitty.

Started my Luigi’s Mansion 3 playthrough! It’s been nearly two years since I played this for the first time. It’s the perfect Halloween game for me - spooky vibes, but cartoony fun. I can’t wait for some of the boss fights (like the movie set fight!), and I’m dreading other things (Polterkitty…).

1*Iw5qz1Vh-21I-JpA2xVKzg.png

God damn, I said. God damn

Handheld or docked?
And how far away from your wifi modem? How lossless is it?
Do you live near servers (don't give your location, either yes or no. They're in San Francisco/Amsterdam, I believe)

It runs awful on my Switch. Super high latency and freezes too often. Even worse than Hitman. Handheld, I'm close to servers but my modem is far from where I game.
Sorry to hear that, but yeah it’s going to be really dependent on your connection. I played both handheld and docked and there were no issues at all for me. I’m a few countries away from the servers but about 2 meters away from my modem. I’ve been really lucky with cloud gaming overall so it’s an actual option for me. Played through a few Stadia games as well.

I still believe in a Xenoblade X port by the end of this Switch's lifecycle. Monolithsoft is busy right now with Xeno 3 and BOTW2, so i guess it could be in 2023 at the earliest.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm not really having issues, however I will say it seems like a very low effort job by Nintendo. I feel like they should've done a little more and I'm not even talking big things. Small things like button-mapping isn't available lol.

Ocarina is the only one I've got issues with. I'm most of the way through a run of Star Fox 64 and I've had a great time with it. Also very happy with the Mega Drive stuff - looking forward to Ristar and Gunstar Heroes soon.

There are definitely things they should add across the board with this apps, like the option to remove borders and certainly to remap buttons. They should aim to patch the N64 emulator so that the fog rendering issue is resolved and if possible to minimise input lag, which I only really notice in Ocarina. Right now I think the reputation of this is suffering largely because it's a seriously iconic game which has the most noticeable issues, so hopefully they work to improve it.

This sort of crap can be rough. I dealt with this a lot with my in-person friends where I would voice my enjoyment of something and then get absolutely dogpiled with all the reasons why it's shit and everyone knows it's shit and I'm wrong to like it and I should be outraged like the real fans are. To the point where one time I got made fun of when a new trailer in a franchise I enjoyed (but they hated) was on YouTube and one of my friends said really sarcastically "hey guys how about we watch this trailer together and then ask Choco his opinion!" and I was all "okay haha very funny guys" and then they fuckin did it.

Gatekeeping and gaslighting drive me crazy because I've fought it for most of my life, and have spent literally years in this quagmire of "is my perspective wrong? Because everyone sure seems to disagree with me" and that was BEFORE shit like reddit and twitter existed. It feels sometimes like I have to fight to be happy about something, and it sucks that people put others in that situation.

So fuck em. Enjoy things! Be happy about things! You are definitely not wrong, you are not the one with the problem. Don't let internet assholes let you think so. It's tough as hell, but rest assured you are right to enjoy things. Enjoyment is the point of things.

Controller still hasn't shipped 🙃

I swear if this is because my account doesn't yet have the Expansion purchased...

I still believe in a Xenoblade X port by the end of this Switch's lifecycle. Monolithsoft is busy right now with Xeno 3 and BOTW2, so i guess it could be in 2023 at the earliest.
I think it will come one day as well. They will probably add an episode to the end like with XC1 that will either set up X2 or (more likely) wrap up the biggest plot threads left in X.

* weeb hug *
Also thanks, I've been wondering how to have asterisks actually show and not just italicize the words, never thought to add spaces. 😅
Yeah, one of the last updates to the site seemingly introduced different functions like that for asterisks, or _ word _ (without the spaces) => word

The input lag is still being talked about, and now according to Nintendo Life, we're talking about 8 frames of input lag. That. Is. Awful.

Regarding fog, It's not only one room in OoT. Anywhere that had fog in the N64 version is now gone. For example, the fog obscuring the Great Deku Tree in Kokiri village is missing. Fog wasn't only to hide draw distances but also used strategically for atmosphere in a lot of areas.

It's affecting Mario Kart 64 and Star Fox 64 as well and it's extremely frustrating for folks to be having these issues when people are paying a giant premium for this.

BCK0eIS.png
I don’t like fog, kinda glad it’s not as noticeable

Why are people complaining about N64 when the entire idea of the expansion is to play the far superior SEGA games.
I've been telling since the first announcement. MD section has Gunstar Heroes for christs sake. Yet right now 34 peopne online on my Switch friends list and they all are playing Ocarina of Time and (I bet) complaining.

When I updated the Expansion Pack ST title I thought about adding something like "fog gate" but I figured it would be better to keep it neutral.

Without quote replying everyone who responded to me, I appreciate everyone helping me gain some perspective. I know this is cheesy, but regardless of whether we agree on things or not, you guys make me feel like I’m not so alone in the world. 😁

Why are people complaining about N64 when the entire idea of the expansion is to play the far superior SEGA games.
Yes, more people should be playing Castlevania Bloodlines or Phantasy Star IV or Gunstar Heroes than hating an experience of Ocarina of Time that needs a patch.

Yes, more people should be playing Castlevania Bloodlines or Phantasy Star IV or Gunstar Heroes than hating an experience of Ocarina of Time that needs a patch.
Damn straight. I'm ignoring Ocarina in the hope they patch it. Yesterday I cleared Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for the first ever time (loved it as a kid, could never complete it), today I went through Star Fox 64, and next up is probably Gunstar Heroes and Sin & Punishment.

Castlevania Bloodlines and Phantasy Star IV are definitely on the list, too.

I understand there are issues that people would like to see fixed, but man, I feel incredible disconnect from the discourse around the N64 games. Nothing I’ve played so far has left me feeling as sour and bitter as everyone else seems to be. In fact, when I first played on launch night, I was thinking “this is pretty great!” Only to wake up yesterday morning (and again today too) to a storm raging on about how shitty the emulation is.

Probably should have watched the video in full & not gone to Reddit. MVG concludes that the flaws are unlikely to ruin the enjoyment one would have -- unless they are looking for 1:1 accuracy or are speed-runners. Doesn't make the effort by Nintendo good, but the service delivers enough quality that the casual audience will be okay with the result.

For everyone's sanity do not go to Reddit looking for good opinions lmao.

I've seen my fair share of really really terrible hot takes over there.

Holy shit, Ganon Tower is so tough in A Link to the Past. Also, you can get stuck if you run out of arrows :/

This is where I’m at. Sure it’s not perfect but I would have never even noticed the “issues” without a side by side comparison. These are also N64 games, I’m not playing them for the graphics. Video game discourse on the internet is just so incredibly negative. People were determined to hate this thing when it was announced and now they are having their fun. I simply cannot fathom expending so much energy and getting outraged over the emulation accuracy of N64 games. It’s just video games, either play them or don’t. It’s not a big deal.

I am also so tired of hearing about the “value” and going on and on about the price. It’s $30 more over 12 months. People are acting like they bought a $30k car and the engine doesn’t work. Maybe I am just privileged but I have better things to do than worry about the “value” of $30 spent over a year. I spend like 40x that on coffee…I cannot take people seriously when they act like the service would be good and acceptable if they could save $10 over 12 months.

I’m gonna go play some Mario Tennis

This is where I’m at. Sure it’s not perfect but I would have never even noticed the “issues” without a side by side comparison. These are also N64 games, I’m not playing them for the graphics. Video game discourse on the internet is just so incredibly negative. People were determined to hate this thing when it was announced and now they are having their fun. I simply cannot fathom expending so much energy and getting outraged over the emulation accuracy of N64 games. It’s just video games, either play them or don’t. It’s not a big deal.

I am also so tired of hearing about the “value” and going on and on about the price. It’s $30 more over 12 months. People are acting like they bought a $30k car and the engine doesn’t work. Maybe I am just privileged but I have better things to do than worry about the “value” of $30 spent over a year. I spend like 40x that on coffee…I cannot take people seriously when they act like the service would be good and acceptable if they could save $10 over 12 months.

I’m gonna go play some Mario Tennis
also feels like people forget how much work is required to get emulators to this level, heck even community ones still require tweaking for optimization and don’t work with a huge chunk of the library and another chunk takes pretty hefty hardware.

This is far more convenient and the bugs won’t effect newcomers or the average person coming back after 20 years

I lost my Animal Crossing island upgrading to the OLED.
Gone forever, lost, done, dusted, reduced to atoms, annihilated, nuked, destroyed, irrecoverable, like tears in the rain.

Can I get some Fs in here?

For everyone's sanity do not go to Reddit looking for good opinions lmao.

I've seen my fair share of really really terrible hot takes over there.
I remember getting out of that subreddit when it became acceptable to trash games, while admitting not even owning the console (or emulating at the very least).

Last edited:

Hmmm - I was expecting to be about 10ms off at most, not 15 - though we're obviously using different displays. I wish he measured delay off the actual Switch screen itself.

That ending tho, eesh. "Nintendo Lag Switch"? Encouraging piracy instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom