• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s pretty normal. Endless promises of years to come or everything is the same
Honestly, it was bad because Sony threw everything out last month. So obviously a SOP focusing on third parties, one month later, wouldn't exactly light the world on fire.

Reminds me of when Nintendo were doing directs every other month back during the Wii U days.

So it looks like that Warner Bros Smash Clone leaked online. Apparently it is free to play and it has voice acting and crossplay.

Nice of them to announce another Star Ocean game. Now. CAN WE HAVE THE OTHER GAMES ON SWITCH??? I have to yell because Square's hard time hearing. But they know to troll fans by releasing just the first game on a platform without bringing the rest.

What I don't like about Star Ocean games after Till the End of Time is that they all have this weird part anime, part realistic, part CG look to them. I don't know how to explain. Like if you took anime characters and dropped them into a more realistic style. The colors are often too muted.

@Raccoon thought you would like this. That is all.

beauty_raccooon.jpg

Nice of them to announce another Star Ocean game. Now. CAN WE HAVE THE OTHER GAMES ON SWITCH??? I have to yell because Square's hard time hearing. But they know to troll fans by releasing just the first game on a platform without bringing the rest.

If it remakes feel better, Star Ocean 2, the one people want, is also not other current systems so Square disappointing everyone.

pls don't ban but after getting into the Dragon Quest Dai anime and the gacha game (which I already dopped again because screw weapon gacha), I'm somewhat looking forward to the Infinity Strash game. Doubly so if it uses the OST from the show!

but... why

but... why
Couldn't tell ya. The N64 emulator in 3D All-Stars was done by the Wii U VC N64 emulator team. NSO was likely but not certainly done by NERD, who did the previous two NSO apps (as well as the mini consoles and GameCube/Wii emulation in 3D All-Stars - and likely Game Boy NSO, if rumors are to be believed).

I think the idea may have been that NERD's track record would carry over a bit better. Personally, I'm giving them a few updates to sort things out before I get sad about it.

Probably should have watched the video in full & not gone to Reddit. MVG concludes that the flaws are unlikely to ruin the enjoyment one would have -- unless they are looking for 1:1 accuracy or are speed-runners. Doesn't make the effort by Nintendo good, but the service delivers enough quality that the casual audience will be okay with the result.
Hey Nate! I meant no disrespect to MVG. I watch close to zero YouTubers, but I have a super high opinion of him from listening to the two of you discussing things on your podcast, so I try to watch a good amount of what he puts out. I sort of figured that’s where the video would head and I plan to watch the rest later.

(I felt like including the title of the video and thumbnail text in my original post would help convey what the temperature of the “discussion” around the video was. I previewed the video over there, because with GoNintendo on hiatus, I can’t find anywhere to catch up on Nintendo news and content, so I got in the (bad) habit of refreshing “new” on that sub as one of my stand-ins. That said, I agree with everyone that it’s a horrible place, and that’s why I made an account here!)

Couldn't tell ya. The N64 emulator in 3D All-Stars was done by the Wii U VC N64 emulator team. NSO was likely but not certainly done by NERD, who did the previous two NSO apps (as well as the mini consoles and GameCube/Wii emulation in 3D All-Stars - and likely Game Boy NSO, if rumors are to be believed).

I think the idea may have been that NERD's track record would carry over a bit better. Personally, I'm giving them a few updates to sort things out before I get sad about it.

Interesting, for some reason I thought NERD did the N64 emulator in 3DAS as well. I've not completely given up hope either but I'm not super optimistic.

Interesting, for some reason I thought NERD did the N64 emulator in 3DAS as well. I've not completely given up hope either but I'm not super optimistic.
NERD handled Sunshine and assisted with Galaxy in that collection, apparently. They did patch Sunshine to remove some visual glitches and add GameCube controller support, which is interesting given that was a limited time release. You'd think it would make as much, if not more sense, to patch an ongoing service...

What I don't understand here is that it seems to have more latency than the 3D All-Stars version of Mario 64 (which is still worse than N64). I thought this was supposed to be the same emulator?

This video makes me think I'm really bad at detecting input lag. They call the SM64 All-Stars input lag and controls "really atrocious", but I obliviously played through the game about 10 times without even suspecting any input lag. I'm really curious how I'll feel about NSO N64 after more playtime with multiple games.

giphy.gif

So, apparently the new Star Ocean game is coming to everything but Switch? Imagine my shock.
We'll get more and more 2D-HD games instead. Not that I hate 2D-HD style, but I do kinda hate how Square treats Switch owners as nostalgia-nuts. Personally I despise nostalgia and living in the past. Switch is a modern powerful portable device, someone needs to use that juice.

it doesn't deserve shit, it's a tablet

the notion that a repackaged nvidia shield is too good for unreal engine pixel art games is ridiculous
It’s the best-selling console on the market and it’s in the hands of nearly 100 million people. The Switch has proven its worth and it deserves more than pixel art and cloud games.

hahahahahaha I don't think the carton is as full as you think
Doesn't matter, that's more than enough. They should have known what they're doing, Square was the one who squeezed every single drop of power from DS's tiny juicebox. They made a freaking Final Fantasy RTS for that system, ffs.

I lost my Animal Crossing island upgrading to the OLED.
Gone forever, lost, done, dusted, reduced to atoms, annihilated, nuked, destroyed, irrecoverable, like tears in the rain.

Can I get some Fs in here?

Sorry, I hope Nintendo can help you. Did you have hundreds of hours on it?

I'm so happy abt Death's Door...was expecting it in the spring. So many great games these last few months of the year.

It’s the best-selling console on the market and it’s in the hands of nearly 100 million people. The Switch has proven its worth and it deserves more than pixel art and cloud games.
you could sell a billion units and not be able to overcome the fact that it's a tablet

Doesn't matter, that's more than enough. They should have known what they're doing, Square was the one who squeezed every single drop of power from DS's tiny juicebox. They made a freaking Final Fantasy RTS for that system, ffs.
they're squeezing plenty from the switch by making these ue4 games look good on it

I'm happy with SE's output on Switch except for the glaring goddamn lack of Chrono Trigger.
he said, while happily playing DQXI

they're squeezing plenty from the switch by making these ue4 games look good on it
I even suspect they're not even the ones who were funding Asano's games, all three were published by Nintendo. Poor guy, trying to do some passion projects with whatever he got. I assure you, this is not the "Square who cares about Nintendo" Square. Even DQ games took Iwata's request to get Switch ports.
games like Final Fantasy XIII and Star Ocean 4&5 were developed on platforms less powerful than Switch lol
Star Ocean 4 got a remaster a few years ago, without a Switch version. But Switch got the first game! Just the first. I'm trying to understand Square sometimes... but I really shouldn't, that's not healthy.

Last edited:
you could sell a billion units and not be able to overcome the fact that it's a tablet

Then developers should make games for the fucking tablet that sold a billion units. The fact that it’s a tablet doesn’t matter, dude.

it doesn't deserve shit, it's a tablet

the notion that a repackaged nvidia shield is too good for unreal engine pixel art games is ridiculous
That's not what he said.

He said it's too good to be only getting those and missing out on other mid tier releases which is absolutely and demonstrably true.

That's not what he said.

He said it's too good to be only getting those and missing out on other mid tier releases which is absolutely and demonstrably true.
Square pushing AAA visuals for a series like Star Ocean also makes no sense. It'll sell like an AA game so why not have an AA budget and graphics so they can bring it to another platform? I don't think the graphics will be a big problem for its fanbase on PS5.

They still see home consoles as the "real deal" and Switch as the "novelty platform".

Hot take: Square should give some of their AA games a little more budget and just call them Final Fantasy, especially for something like Bravely Default which began as a Final Fantasy game. It's not like the Final Fantasy name is reserved for the very top of their catalogue. They slapped that name unto a ton of shit over the past few years. Imagine if Triangle Strategy was just called a Final Fantasy Tactics game. The interest would be even higher.

Just finished the voice of the cards demo, presentation oozes charm and the gameplay isn’t bad either. Too bad my backlog is swarming with jrpgs already XD

Hot take: Square should give some of their AA games a little more budget and just call them Final Fantasy, especially for something like Bravely Default which began as a Final Fantasy game. It's not like the Final Fantasy name is reserved for the very top of their catalogue. They slapped that name unto a ton of shit over the past few years. Imagine if Triangle Strategy was just called a Final Fantasy Tactics game. The interest would be even higher.
We don't know if Asano games are 100% Square games, it could be that Nintendo may have funded them, partially or fully (despite getting ported to steam). Nintendo and Team Asano might have decided on games and Square could have been like "yeah go for it". Otherwise, they should have been "FF" games. Don't forget, the first Bravely default was supposed to be a sequel to DS's 4 Heroes of Light game.

The best games from the PS4 generation could easily run on a PS3 (Persona 5, Bloodborne, Nier Automata, MGSV, Dragon Quest XI, etc.), and thus the switch. Publishers should stop gatekeeping games from people because of graphics.

We don't know if Asano games are 100% Square games, it could be that Nintendo may have funded them, partially or fully (despite getting ported to steam). Nintendo and Team Asano might have decided on games and Square could have been like "yeah go for it". Otherwise, they should have been "FF" games. Don't forget, the first Bravely default was supposed to be a sequel to DS's 4 Heroes of Light game.

Yes I'm aware. That is why I specially said BD started out as FF spinoff. Regardless if Nintendo is footing a lot of the bill, they are still Square properties that used FF motifs like the jobs and the crystals. They are FF in all but name. Just slap as chocobo in there and you're all set.

You just gotta accept the way Square goes about things. I think they are one of Nintendo's strongest supporters, but at the same time, they also make weird decisions when it comes to the Switch. Things like the Switch only getting cloud versions of the Kingdom Hearts games, Bravely Default not getting a bigger budget, or not getting the classic final fantasy ports.

Square's support is definitely good, but I've definitely been criticizing them heavily when it comes to them not giving their AA games enough budget or actual marketing. I understand why they only care about their big releases, but it would also be nice if they would not send out some games to die or even push them a little harder in terms of budget.

Has Square’s Switch support actually been that good?

Octopath
Dragon Quest XI
Bravely Default 2
Triangle Strategy

All of these have Nintendo listed as the publisher. What has Square actually put out on the system that Nintendo didn’t have a hand in? Retro ports of older Final Fantasy games?

Someone posted this in the SMT V thread but

"The school’s theme is to respect freedom and, in fact, some of the girls wear pants. Also, it seems that boys are allowed to wear skirts."

Nice to see SMT being more progressive than Persona.

We'll get more and more 2D-HD games instead. Not that I hate 2D-HD style, but I do kinda hate how Square treats Switch owners as nostalgia-nuts. Personally I despise nostalgia and living in the past.
Eh, I dig the 2D-HD aesthetics for the opposite reason. It looks original to me, a refreshing departure from the AA-AAA 3D banality.

You just gotta accept the way Square goes about things. I think they are one of Nintendo's strongest supporters, but at the same time, they also make weird decisions when it comes to the Switch. Things like the Switch only getting cloud versions of the Kingdom Hearts games, Bravely Default not getting a bigger budget, or not getting the classic final fantasy ports.

Square's support is definitely good, but I've definitely been criticizing them heavily when it comes to them not giving their AA games enough budget or actual marketing. I understand why they only care about their big releases, but it would also be nice if they would not send out some games to die or even push them a little harder in terms of budget.
As I said, Nintendo could be Asano games sole funder, we cannot be sure about that. All of the Asano Nintendo games since the first BD on 3DS were published by Nintendo outside of Japan, no exceptions. I don't think blaming Square for their budget or marketing would be the right thing.

We need a consistent Square support rather than "good support" from Square. If you're bringing FF games to Swicth, why not all instead of some? Switch deserves FF13 trilogy, FF Type-0 and Pixel remasters too. Same goes for Star Ocean games. And GungHo did what they must, remastered first two Grandia games. Why Square is holding off on Grandia III?

Eh, I dig the 2D-HD aesthetics for the opposite reason. It looks original to me, a refreshing departure from the AA-AAA 3D banality.
I understand. But you have to understand my situation too. I always have been a mainly handheld gamer, pixelated stuff were the everything I got. AAA 3D stuff is a rare sight for me and now Switch has the power of making it possible. I absolutely loved what I have tasted with DQ11 and Trials of Mana and now I want more. But I'm not sure if i'll get more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom