• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I had to take my best friend to the vets to be put down, for 14 years he has given me nothing but unconditional love and some of the happiest memories but my god does this hurt so much. I am going to miss him, he sat with me when I worked from home, we went for lunchtime walks together.

I got to take him down the beach this morning to let him have one last stroll and he sat with me and just watched the waves. It’s hard to process that I’m never going to see him again. I got to hold him whilst they did it so got to hug him as he had his final moments, shitty day.

2-B25042-C-FF4-C-4041-988-F-FE2694-C7-AB7-F.jpg

84-F9-D96-D-87-B8-46-D9-B600-A47-E8-B4-A87-B5.jpg

He was a beautiful lad, I’ll never forget all the memories he bless me with

Today I had to take my best friend to the vets to be put down, for 14 years he has given me nothing but unconditional love and some of the happiest memories but my god does this hurt so much. I am going to miss him, he sat with me when I worked from home, we went for lunchtime walks together.

I got to take him down the beach this morning to let him have one last stroll and he sat with me and just watched the waves. It’s hard to process that I’m never going to see him again. I got to hold him whilst they did it so got to hug him as he had his final moments, shitty day.

Sorry to hear, it’s never easy loosing a companion.

Ok first episode of “I’m the villainess so I’ll tame the final boss” was great fun. now gotta go check some stuff, maybe have some icecream then it’s game time! Not sure what tho yet.

I don’t know what I’m going to do when it’s my goofball’s time to go. I’m doing a longer lived cat next, Great Danes only lasting till 9 is gonna be rough

So sorry to hear this. Looks like he was a good boy. Glad he gave you so many good memories.

Ok first episode of “I’m the villainess so I’ll tame the final boss” was great fun. now gotta go check some stuff, maybe have some icecream then it’s game time! Not sure what tho yet.

I don’t know what I’m going to do when it’s my goofball’s time to go. I’m doing a longer lived cat next, Great Danes only lasting till 9 is gonna be rough

It’s heartbreaking it really is, time is short so enjoy every moment together that you can.

It’s heartbreaking it really is, time is short so enjoy every moment together that you can.
I was on a thing for a month when I found out the family husky died… in the middle of a 2 day drive home. I was crying for days and my dad had to fly out to the midway point to help me finish the trip.

I'm so sorry for your loss but it looks like you gave him a fantastic last day, and I bet a great life.

So sorry for your loss. I dread the day I have to put any of my fur babies down.

Cyberpunk Edgerunners kinda makes me want to try Cyberpunk 2077. Sort of. Maybe. Even if all the patches and bug fixes, it still kinda looks like a boring GTA-style game with a futuristic aesthetic.

Not that I have a devise that can play the game well anyways so it's a moot point Maybe I'll play some Deus Ex to get my cyberpunk fix.

That feel in XBC 3 when you accidentally stumble into an encounter with a squad of 4 enemies 7 levels above you and you somehow cheese their whole group and manage to get 600%+ exp on the team attack on the tougher member XD

Clicks on video expecting to get a summary about all the stupid Twitch drama. Leaves video learning about accusations of using a vibrating butt plug to cheat in a chess tournament.

but it was really bad 13 years ago
So I guess now it's only pretty bad?

I will admit Avatar discourse is something I kinda struggle to keep up with. From what I remember of when it was released, the common reaction was "yeah that was really visually impressive, shitty movie tho" followed a bit later by "how on earth is this the highest grossing film of all time", and then several years later by "oh yeah I remember Avatar! Well sort of. I don't actually remember anything about it other than it having blue people". But I'm seeing more and more people say they actually always liked the movie and are excited for the sequels. Maybe I'm just talking to different people now?

In not-really-related news, I finally finished Obi-Wan. I took a long break after the first three episodes because they were bad, but I thought I remembered reading that it ended strongly. It did not end strongly lol

Toshimichi Mori left Arc System Works, hope this doesn’t mean BlazBlue is dead. Always preferred it over Guilty Gear :/

So I guess now it's only pretty bad?

I will admit Avatar discourse is something I kinda struggle to keep up with. From what I remember of when it was released, the common reaction was "yeah that was really visually impressive, shitty movie tho" followed a bit later by "how on earth is this the highest grossing film of all time", and then several years later by "oh yeah I remember Avatar! Well sort of. I don't actually remember anything about it other than it having blue people". But I'm seeing more and more people say they actually always liked the movie and are excited for the sequels. Maybe I'm just talking to different people now?
I think at the time there was a lot of people having a negative attitude towards the movie because it was the most popular thing in the world so it was common to hear "oh, it's overrated". But as time passes more and more people started to remember the movie fondly : now with the re-runs many friends told me that, even today, people were applauding at the end of the movie. Another proof of that is the Avatar land at Animal Kingdom, which not only was arguably a bigger hit than the Star Wars land at launch, but also, to this day, a lot of people are leaving the Flight of Passage ride crying.

And it's well-deserved because it's quite a phenomenal movie. Yes, the plot is kinda basic, but the characters are great and the worldbuilding is incredible. Even if you felt pretty meh at the time, maybe give it another shot in theaters now that it's back. I think you'd be surprised at how much you'll like it.

I’m at home for the first time in awhile and I found a box of old magazines that include my one-year subscription of Nintendo Power from 2002! I haven’t had time to do much more than flip through them, but holy Gamecube nostalgia overload, Batman. There’s even the posters and fold-outs still there, like a poster of the Ruby/Sapphire Pokédex, an Animal Crossing character list and calendar, Aria of Sorrow art foldout, etc!

My eighteen month-old son got into the cabinet where I keep the controllers and got out the Pro controller, managed to turn the Switch on, and load up Golf Story and start walking around. All by basically button mashing.

He’s gonna be a Nintendo fan all right, already gaming at one year old!

I just came to say I have the same toy controller for my son, It has a lot of weird resemblance to the Gamecube controller, though I don’t remember that singing about ABC’s.

Throw me in the camp Avatar was fine, but largely forgettable. I only really liked the amazing 3D effects. Hopefully the sequels will be better.

I mentally checked out the second they actually used the term "unobtainium" for a supposedly real thing.

Like, that's not how that works. Unobtainium is a real word to describe a theoretical material that would be perfect for a particular application but can never exist. Very very lazy writing.

I’m sure he was very happy to have spent his life by your side.

Managed to watch a few episodes of Cobra Kai. Lots of people clutching on to the idiot ball to continue the story. But hey, Chozen is hilarious.

Planning to watched Edgerunners after I finish Cobra Kai, heard it’s pretty good. I mean, people usually say that about most Netflix anime, but I dunno, I think I can take my chances with cyberpunk. Heaven knows we need more works in that genre.

Mori left Arc System Works, hope this doesn’t mean BlazBlue is dead. Always preferred it over Guilty Gear :/
Would they stop making BlazBlue? That sells decently enough.

a lot of people are leaving the Flight of Passage ride crying
That’s because it’s a phenomenonal ride. It’s a thrill ride for the babies who can’t stomach real rollercoasters (e.g. me).

Leaves video learning about accusations of using a vibrating butt plug to cheat in a chess tournament
That sounds like an anime plot, wtf

Cyberpunk Edgerunners is cool

Also reminded me that This Fire from Franz Ferdinand is a fantastic song

It's one of the hardest things in the world to do that. He'll always be a good boy.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He seems like an absolutely precious fellow. Sending good vibes in these hard times, and wishing you all the strength needed!

I mentally checked out the second they actually used the term "unobtainium" for a supposedly real thing.

Like, that's not how that works. Unobtainium is a real word to describe a theoretical material that would be perfect for a particular application but can never exist. Very very lazy writing.

I see this take repeated pretty often, and it shows that people actually have no idea how realistic the name Unobtainium is. Take a look at the periodic table and learn why elements have the names they do and you'll understand what I mean.

Berkelium was named after Berkeley, California, the location of the University of California, where it was invented. Californium was also invented there, but they already named an element after Berkely so they just named it after California.

Americium was named after North America. Francium was named after France because the chemist who invented it in 1939 was French and he wanted to name it after his home country.

Uranium was named after the newly discovered planet, Uranus, purely because they thought it was cool. The following two elements, Neptunium and Plutonium, were also named after planets because it's fun.

It totally tracks that a brand new, unobtainable element unique to an alien planet could be called Unobtainium. Yes, Unobtainium is a term that's been used for ages, and is the exact type of name a cheeky scientist would give to such an element.

Anyway, Avatar's a good movie, but some people choose to get distracted by one thing or another to appreciate how good it is. Like, Hollywood movies that are that anti-colonialism and anti-capitalism are extremely rare. But everybody would rather talk about "Fern Gully" and Unobtainium.

Yes, I'm salty

Just something that came to mind for me this morning. Someone asked me once what my favourite game experience ever is, and I have to say that it's The Champion's Ballad.

BotW has many memorable sections, not only the minute you land and the words "Hyrule Kingdom" appears on the screen - but also isolated instances like Hyrule Castle, Eventide, the Gerudo section, discovering Akkala and the Master Trials being some of my favourites.

But for me, the second DLC just takes the cake. The best divine beast, the best shrines, the One Hit Obliterator challenge on the Plateau was a one-of-a-kind experience that was truly engrossing. I really liked hunting down the locations, doing fun things like battling Molduking and doing a revamped Yiga Clan section, and then get rewarded with the best bits of the game's story. Then, the Maz Koshia boss battle happens, by far the best boss, and you get the bike, which is a GOAT endgame reward as far as I'm concerned ...

Not to mention that it was just pure hype to experience that whole thing. Shadowdrop at TGA, BotW winning best game, and then downloading it the day after, bookending a year that was defined by BotW for me. What an unforgettable experience.

Would they stop making BlazBlue? That sells decently enough.
Mori always seemed like the biggest champion of the series. I don’t think it’d ever completely disappear, but it probably drops in priority a lot with him gone. His message makes it sound like a new game wasn’t happening at the moment. It is possible he still works on one from a distance.

I see this take repeated pretty often, and it shows that people actually have no idea how realistic the name Unobtainium is. Take a look at the periodic table and learn why elements have the names they do and you'll understand what I mean.

Berkelium was named after Berkeley, California, the location of the University of California, where it was invented. Californium was also invented there, but they already named an element after Berkely so they just named it after California.

Americium was named after North America. Francium was named after France because the chemist who invented it in 1939 was French and he wanted to name it after his home country.

Uranium was named after the newly discovered planet, Uranus, purely because they thought it was cool. The following two elements, Neptunium and Plutonium, were also named after planets because it's fun.

It totally tracks that a brand new, unobtainable element unique to an alien planet could be called Unobtainium. Yes, Unobtainium is a term that's been used for ages, and is the exact type of name a cheeky scientist would give to such an element.

Anyway, Avatar's a good movie, but some people choose to get distracted by one thing or another to appreciate how good it is. Like, Hollywood movies that are that anti-colonialism and anti-capitalism are extremely rare. But everybody would rather talk about "Fern Gully" and Unobtainium.

Yes, I'm salty
It definitely wasn't just the unobtainium that gave me issues, it was the whole story and much of the writing. It was basically space Pocahontas without as much logic driving characters' decisions.

But I also disagree that a new element might be named unobtainium. That word has a purpose in science, it's to serve as a "best case" theoretical element or material for a particular application being developed or discussed. Assigning it to an actual element or material would be irresponsible and whoever did it would be rightfully dragged by the scientific community.

Last edited:

I'm sorry for your loss, always hard to lose a pet even if you know it's coming. It sounds like you gave him a great life though, and I'm sure the bond between you was everything to him.

Because I mentioned I saw the re-release and it naturally resulted in several people having to remind everyone how forgettable and bad the movie was
Avatar was good. I love to watch it because of the world build and the environment and the atmosphere.
Sci-fi movie can be good without magnificent all-time plot. It can work because of the fiction elements alone.

Really waiting for the new movie and even more waiting for our family trip to Disney World in 2026. Animal Kingdom is my most wanted destination ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom