• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am wondering something.

Imagine in another universe, in one that Nintendo never showed the teaser for TotK in 2019.

Then, after 4 long years of dead silence in the world of 3D Zelda, on the anniversary, Aonuma drops this trailer:

Would it have been more or less hype than the marketing setup that we've had now?

It definitely would still have been very hype! That's a pretty good cut combo trailer. But honestly, I think the original teaser with Link and Zelda might still be the most intriguing despite having no gameplay. The atmosphere, hints of story, creepy backwards music, and so on, was so well-done. And while the later teasers have been great as well, they haven't hit me as hard as that very first one yet.

Imagine in another universe, in one that Nintendo never showed the teaser for TotK in 2019.

Then, after 4 long years of dead silence in the world of 3D Zelda, on the anniversary, Aonuma drops this trailer:

Would it have been more or less hype than the marketing setup that we've had now?

Even if the announcement of the development was pretty hype, I think your scenario is better. Long marketing cycles tend to kill a bit of the hype, while announcing a sequel to BotW with the name and the date eight months before release would've set the world on fire

With the Mario movie coming out, will Mario finally go mainstream
Lol no it will stay a cult classic.

On a serious note tho, how are we feeling about this movie regarding buzz and box office? When it was first announced I was sure as hell whenever it came it would be a Frozen like bombshell and do 1bi US$ and win Oscars and stuff. But ever since the cast revealing and how it's getting revealed sooooo late... I'm worried it might fall behind of Sonic. Not actually worried of it being a failure or anything, just not doing what we would expect from a major movie of Mario based on his success on games.

Lol no it will stay a cult classic.

On a serious note tho, how are we feeling about this movie regarding buzz and box office? When it was first announced I was sure as hell whenever it came it would be a Frozen like bombshell and do 1bi US$ and win Oscars and stuff. But ever since the cast revealing and how it's getting revealed sooooo late... I'm worried it might fall behind of Sonic. Not actually worried of it being a failure or anything, just not doing what we would expect from a major movie of Mario based on his success on games.
Lol @ the idea of the Mario movie winning Oscars. But I think it will do fine at the box office. Illumination movies are cheap compared to other animated films, just doing as well as Sonic would be enough.

To be very honest I don't have any idea. Maybe the thing of showing a dark mysterious teaser, going radio silent two years, having a trailer showing gameplay and it's more ambitious than expected, then having a delay and then another teaser with a name and again the game looking more ambitious makes the hype levels go to the roof.

If we were to only get it announced once Nintendo had a release date for it, maybe we would be on the limbo we are with 3D Mario, where we know it's been in the making probably starting almost the same time as Zelda and the two already having the same dev time the last time but we're always worried on "EPD Tokyo not even having a game announced for 5 years...". Imagine with Zelda lol.

With Mario it totally works tho as Odyssey had a short reveal to release period but its hype was to the roof and it sold so fast in a way only Pokemon ever did before. Also I believe it releasing the same year as Zelda made some of us or the media misremember how big it was. That E3 2017 trailer is honestly on par with January trailer that BotW got.

lol whats up with Youtubers dry aging everything under the sun?

Even if the announcement of the development was pretty hype, I think your scenario is better. Long marketing cycles tend to kill a bit of the hype, while announcing a sequel to BotW with the name and the date eight months before release would've set the world on fire
I agree with this... It was the biggest deal of the Direct to have a trailer, subtitle and release date for TotK, but was still a game we've known was coming and seen more than 3 years ago already.
Imagine if it was the first trailer of the game already having the title and date. Would be the hypest moment ever in Nintendo gaming.
I kinda wish they finally learn a little lesson with the next game and just announce it the year before release. 2 consecutive 4 year hype cycles was just painful AF, please don't do another one Nintendo.
Moreso because it's not like Zelda fans would be worried any way as we have something neat to play every year. The year it was first announced we had Link's Awakening remake coming in 3 months, the following year had Age of Calamity which was a prequel to BotW and a huge deal on its own, I think we would've been way more hyped and surprised by it if we hadn't known a sequel was coming, 2021 had a Skyward Sword remaster... We'd been just fine until they actually had a reveal.
Please Nintendo just leave us happy with a new 2D game in 2024, TP/WW HD in 2025, another remaster/remake/spin off in 2026 and so on instead of announcing BotW 3 in 2025 and not releasing it until 2030.

Diablo 4? I don't know anything else that would be noteworthy.
Oh I didn't know that one leaked. But it was already officially announced I believe so I don't think it's as big of a leak as GTA 6. Also, what are the odds of Diablo 4 coming to Switch? I believe it's pretty likely as 3, Overwatch, 2 remaster and Overwatch 2 all came.

Man, there are some great YouTube channels out there, but these plac eholder images with YouTubers own stupid face with a "woah"-look REALLY needs to die. Yes Maximilian Dood I am looking at you.

In all honesty, hyped as I am for a switch 2… there are to many dam games I have yet to play on the original switch. There’s just to much coming up the pipeline that I can actually wait to get the successor (usually I get it launch day). So if I miss out on the launch for the successor I’ll still be quite happy gaming away.

Ugh forget it, my head is too much of a mess to play bass. I should just watch the Lycoris recoil finale instead

You know I should really get a Taiko game on my switch, not sure which one tho

Whatever happened to Oxenfree 2? It got announced April 2021 with a release window of 2021, got delayed into 2022, but it's about to be October and we haven't heard from the game in a while. It's pretty weird and I'm worried about the game.

Mario crossover we need :

funny-animated-gifs-nintendos-gritty-super-mario-reboot

Guess today might be a good day to fix my Trails SC and 3rd mods that break every time the game updates.

My hometown team won the big sports ball contest. Pleasantly drunk, though alcohol triggers my illness, this is worth it.

Happy Saturday to all and Fami.

My hometown team won the big sports ball contest. Pleasantly drunk, though alcohol triggers my illness, this is worth it.

Happy Saturday to all and Fami.
Congrats hometown team and happy Saturday to you !!

I think Mario + Rabbids SOH might be the only game I purchase for the rest of the year. My backlog is pretty big and most of my paychecks are going to go into savings for the rest of the year. Kinda bummed that I'll have to skip out on Pokemon, Sonic, Life is Strange, and Persona, but it's whatever I guess.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (15 hours in)
  2. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (restart from beginning, never finished)
  3. Oxenfree
  4. The Long Dark (probably just gonna play Survival Mode until Episode 5 releases)
  5. Witcher 3 OR Skyrim
  6. Pokemon Legends Arceus (halfway through the first half campaign)
  7. Immortals Fenyx Rising
  8. Omori
  9. Luigi's Mansion 3 (restart)
  10. Breath of the Wild (restart from beginning, never beat final boss)
  11. Gnosia (restart from beginning)
  12. Deaths Door OR Hades (restart from beginning)
I'll also continue playing Splatoon 3 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe multiplayer.

Games I've completed this year:
  1. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  2. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
  3. Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe
  4. Portal
  5. Life is Strange: True Colors
  6. Splatoon 3 Hero Mode
  7. Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury (replayed both)
I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that I'm a big FOMO guy. I'll stop a game I'm playing to move on to the next game, rinse and repeat. It's a really had habit of mine that I'll have to work on (especially now that I have more time to game).

I think Mario + Rabbids SOH might be the only game I purchase for the rest of the year. My backlog is pretty big and most of my paychecks are going to go into savings for the rest of the year. Kinda bummed that I'll have to skip out on Pokemon, Sonic, Life is Strange, and Persona, but it's whatever I guess.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (15 hours in)
  2. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (restart from beginning, never finished)
  3. Oxenfree
  4. The Long Dark (probably just gonna play Survival Mode until Episode 5 releases)
  5. Witcher 3 OR Skyrim
  6. Pokemon Legends Arceus (halfway through the first half campaign)
  7. Immortals Fenyx Rising
  8. Omori
  9. Luigi's Mansion 3 (restart)
  10. Breath of the Wild (restart from beginning, never beat final boss)
  11. Gnosia (restart from beginning)
  12. Deaths Door OR Hades (restart from beginning)
I'll also continue playing Splatoon 3 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe multiplayer.

Games I've completed this year:
  1. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  2. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
  3. Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe
  4. Portal
  5. Life is Strange: True Colors
  6. Splatoon 3 Hero Mode
  7. Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury (replayed both)
I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that I'm a big FOMO guy. I'll stop a game I'm playing to move on to the next game, rinse and repeat. It's a really had habit of mine that I'll have to work on (especially now that I have more time to game).
I’m the same when a big game comes out, I tend to drop whatever I’m playing and sometimes just never go back.
Happened with TemTem I was enjoying it but dropped it when Splatoon 3 came out and completely forgot about until today when I saw it on my homescreen

Man portable oblivion has been a blast. Before I knew it, almost two hours has past. Had to take a break though.m even the old scroll duplication glitch works

I got console commands working too. Had some tinkering done to get that working

@Red Monster worst criminal act I’ve done so far was rob the magic guy in the imperial city of some scrolls for the scroll glitch like I would always do on Xbox

Today's episode of Corridor Digital's Animators React just featured Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid to demonstrate Mode 7 animation to relate to how advanced Flash animation used to work back in the day and I am sent.

And now they're talking about Homestar Runner. I'm gonna have to sleep this off.

Last edited:
Man portable oblivion has been a blast. Before I knew it, almost two hours has past. Had to take a break though.m even the old scroll duplication glitch works

I got console commands working too. Had some tinkering done to get that working

@Red Monster worst criminal act I’ve done so far was rob the magic guy in the imperial city of some scrolls for the scroll glitch like I would always do on Xbox
Oblivion? I see you are a man of culture as well.

Also I just wanna post this one again because this game has to be the best game ever when it comes to funny, random bs:

Gonna get on a trip to Vienna tomorrow morning.
Wishing all of Fami an amazing and equally delicious Sunday!

My eighteen month-old son got into the cabinet where I keep the controllers and got out the Pro controller, managed to turn the Switch on, and load up Golf Story and start walking around. All by basically button mashing.

He’s gonna be a Nintendo fan all right, already gaming at one year old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom