• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
here's hoping Nintendo has Advance Wars penciled in for early December but doesn't want to announce it because they know the war could turn worse at any moment.

Downloading a couple of demos, let's see how they run on Switch.

wait, there's another video game character conspicuously named after Ryuichi Sakamoto???
This guy from Persona 5:
persona-5-ryuji.jpg

Who’s the other one?

Bivalent booster booked. Hoping it doesn’t knock me too hard on my butt.
Here’s hoping!

My whole family had covid in May. I wonder if we should get boosters now..? It’s probably been long enough I bet. My booster last December knocked me flat for a day, not looking forward to that again.

I never got sick from any of the Covid shots. Just a sore arm. Now, the thousands of dollars of immune suppressants in my body might have something to do with that.

One of the things I keep seeing online is that Nintendo doesn’t care about Geoff Keighley and TGA, and that there is in fact some bad blood between the two parties in the wake of Reggie leaving. Is this true or is this just embellishment?
Embellishment. People are upset they don’t bring Zelda every year even though they still bring plenty of other games. Last year was Monster Hunter Sunbreak, year before was Sephiroth in Smash.

Other Switch TGA reveals/trailers: Bravely Default II, No More Heroes III, Bayonetta 3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Joker in Smash.

They bring something they want more eyes on beyond their usual marketing reach that plays well to the crowd.

One of the things I keep seeing online is that Nintendo doesn’t care about Geoff Keighley and TGA, and that there is in fact some bad blood between the two parties in the wake of Reggie leaving. Is this true or is this just embellishment?

Seems that way but the amount of eyes that are present at the VGA , you would think that would be good advertisement for Nintendo.

My theory is that Nintendo being on the board of the ESA has a vested interest in E3 continuing to be the big summer gaming convention, so they're reluctant to support any Geoff events to help build up his brand.

I actually like Chipotle for the most part, it’s not bad for a good burrito fix. And living in Denver I think I’m pretty much required to. The new garlic steak is good.
I think my problem just is that being from California I have some strong biases about how burritos are "supposed" to taste. 😅

And I recognize that is a me-thing.

Seems that way but the amount of eyes that are present at the VGA , you would think that would be good advertisement for Nintendo.
I'm starting to wonder if Nintendo has been testing out what type of word-of-mouth they get from being absent from stuff like that, too.

My theory is that Nintendo being on the board of the ESA has a vested interest in E3 continuing to be the big summer gaming convention, so they're reluctant to support any Geoff events to help build up his brand.

Nintendo is on the advisory board for The Game Awards. If they don't want to build up Keighley's brand, then why would they be advisors for it? They also run advertisements during the show and have had announcements as resent as 2020 with the Sephiroth for Smash trailer. Honestly, the whole conspiracy theory of about Nintendo wanting to support the ESA over Geoff feels like something gamers looking for drama come up with and spread online. Nintendo might have commitments to the ESA, which is actually just a trade union of the biggest gaming publishers, but I don't think there is any bad blood. If Nintendo has something they want to announce or show off around the time of the Game Awards, then they will show it off at the Game Awards. If not, then they won't show anything.

The Geoff Keighley cycle:

1. Geoff announces a show that promises a lot of #World Premiers
2. People complain about why Nintendo doesn't want to support such a big and important show with announcements
3. People watch the actual show and complain how boring and pointless the whole thing was
4. Repeat Steps 1 - 3 to the end of time

Watched The French Dispatch just now, enjoyed it. Very tired and fatigued, as per usual, but hopefully I can manage an hour or two of Mass Effect 3 (Legendary edition) before this week's House of the Dragon.

I hope Fami's had a good weekend. Positive vibes to all.

Thinking more about my Geoff theory, when was the last time Nintendo really showed up at the game awards? Was it 2019? Summer game fest started in 2020 right?

Nintendo is on the advisory board for The Game Awards. If they don't want to build up Keighley's brand, then why would they be advisors for it? They also run advertisements during the show and have had announcements as resent as 2020 with the Sephiroth for Smash trailer. Honestly, the whole conspiracy theory of about Nintendo wanting to support the ESA over Geoff feels like something gamers looking for drama come up with and spread online. Nintendo might have commitments to the ESA, which is actually just a trade union of the biggest gaming publishers, but I don't think there is any bad blood. If Nintendo has something they want to announce or show off around the time of the Game Awards, then they will show it off at the Game Awards. If not, then they won't show anything.
Are they still on the advisory board or did that end when Reggie left?

Thinking more about my Geoff theory, when was the last time Nintendo really showed up at the game awards? Was it 2019? Summer game fest started in 2020 right?

Are they still on the advisory board or did that end when Reggie left?

Doug Bowser is on the board.

But will TGA finally stop snubbing Xenoblade
Oh yeah, definitely. I can see the GotY award shortlist already:
God of War Ragnarok
Horizon
Gran Turismo 7
The Last of Us Part 1
Elden Ring
Shredder's Revenge
Bayonetta 3
Splatoon 3

Award will most likely go to Shredder's Revenge, I think. Sony will be ok with 4 of their games in the candidate list. Weeb games will be ignored once again, including my personal GotY, AI Somnium Files Nirvana.

Oh yeah, definitely. I can see the GotY award shortlist already:
God of War Ragnarok
Horizon
Gran Turismo 7
The Last of Us Part 1
Elden Ring
Shredder's Revenge
Bayonetta 3
Splatoon 3

Award will most likely go to Shredder's Revenge, I think. Sony will be ok with 4 of their games in the candidate list. Weeb games will be ignored once again, including my personal GotY, AI Somnium Files Nirvana.
There's no world in which Elden Ring doesn't win the Goty award this year

Ugh I hate when your head just starts feeling crappy in the evening. A bit of P&D:SE while watching PWP dub then either a sub and some ice cream or I dive right into my evening plan of burying my headache with Xenoblade

This was the best trailer at the TGA in 2020. People were super excited for it.

This one we here didn’t generally care about in 2021, but it’s still a big deal. Sunbreak sold over 3 million copies.

They don’t show up at Summer Game Fest since they generally have their own show at that time.

This was the best trailer at the TGA in 2020. People were super excited for it.

This one we here didn’t generally care about in 2021, but it’s still a big deal. Sunbreak sold over 3 million copies.

They don’t show up at Summer Game Fest since they generally have their own show at that time.

This was the (only good) trailer at the TGA in 2020

I watched a few reactions videos of the Nintendo direct. Mainly for the Pikmin Bloom part cuase that was just too good to not too.

And a lot of them deliver…the same jokes and farming jokes lol. Anways not a reaction watcher type person, but I had a feeling the Pikmin bloom would deliver something. Tho it was a rough watch, a lot of “this is terrible cause I don’t like it even tho I’ll never and have never played it” type commentary. Fair critique is great to listen too but a lot of it wasn’t close to that. Well it is what it is.

Thanks Miyamoto for that Pikmin Bloom segment. Hopfully next time he’s back it’s for Star Fox revival 😳

Thanks Miyamoto for that Pikmin Bloom segment. Hopfully next time he’s back it’s for Star Fox revival 😳
I don't know how any one could be upset about that segment. I most certainly know and was watching it mouth agape thinking they were desperate for Bloom activity (which they probably are) and not just psyching people out.

Look, Miyamoto just really wanted to show us his 700 Pikmin and he doesn't understand why no one else is playing this. Folks, please just let the man be happy.

Glad to hear that you liked 5, i'm really looking forward to 6 next year. Scream 2 is getting a 4k release next month, I'm debating wheter I want to marathon all of them before Halloween or wait until early next year before 6 comes out. Last couple years I've done October marathons for the Friday the 13th movies, I might switch it up for Nightmare on Elm Street this year.
I'm going through a Nightmare on Elm Street marathon for the first time too! I'd only ever seen the original all the way through before now, so it's been fun. Highly recommend (though I'm only on part 4; maybe they really shit the bed after 3 lol). I'm also picking up the Scream 2 4K.

There's no world in which Elden Ring doesn't win the Goty award this year
Pretty much. There will be some people/outlets that have a game they like better, but nothing has the absolute industry-wide appeal and notoriety behind it that that game has this year. It'll win pretty easily, IMO. Especially with the game awards audience.

The only possible way I can think of that it won't is if GoW:Ragnarok is like, mind-blowingly amazing, but even that is going to have a tough time since it comes out only ~1 week before the cutoff point.

Pretty much. There will be some people/outlets that have a game they like better, but nothing has the absolute industry-wide appeal and notoriety behind it that that game has this year. It'll win pretty easily, IMO. Especially with the game awards audience.

The only possible way I can think of that it won't is if GoW:Ragnarok is like, mind-blowingly amazing, but even that is going to have a tough time since it comes out only ~1 week before the cutoff point.
That’s actually a great benefit for this type of award in all honestly.

That’s actually a great benefit for this type of award in all honestly.
It COULD be, maybe, but again I think it'll have to be something really special. So many people won't have even finished it by the time voting is locked in. So unless the reviews/WoM/etc. is just incredibly high right at that exact moment then I don't see it happening. It's possible! But IMO unlikely.

Not worth a thread, but felt like saying: Considering the type of thing Digital Eclipse has been making lately like the TMNT and Atari collections, it's become something of a fantasy that they could do a collection for the other-system releases of popular Nintendo games in the 80s, the stuff we haven't seen rereleased repeatedly. The three Donkey Kongs, Mario Bros., and even Super Mario Bros. got a little action on non-Nintendo systems. It's the sort of collection that wouldn't be very broad but has a ridiculous amount of potential depth. They could have 15+ versions of Donkey Kong alone.

Having just finished it, Xenoblade 3 is probably my GOTY thus far, though I gotta be honest, Bayonetta 3 is looking like it will probably take the crown quite easily when it arrives, if it's as good as it seems so far.

I doubt either will get much attention as far as awards as they don't really fit the "games as a serious art form" angle that most outlets go for, but then my tastes rarely align with the kind of games that win GOTY awards, and tbh that's okay.
I learned a long time ago not to care so much about review scores or awards and just play what I like. I almost missed out on so many awesome games back in the day because I paid too much attention to metacritic and such.

Not worth a thread, but felt like saying: Considering the type of thing Digital Eclipse has been making lately like the TMNT and Atari collections, it's become something of a fantasy that they could do a collection for the other-system releases of popular Nintendo games in the 80s, the stuff we haven't seen rereleased repeatedly. The three Donkey Kongs, Mario Bros., and even Super Mario Bros. got a little action on non-Nintendo systems. It's the sort of collection that wouldn't be very broad but has a ridiculous amount of potential depth. They could have 15+ versions of Donkey Kong alone.
Being super real here though..

I really wish Nintendo, by some miracle, made something with the CD-I titles and had them in a collection of sorts.

Sure, don't make them the sole star of such collection, but bundle them with actual good games that people want to pay to play; that's how you deal with stinkers like that and keep them accessible and available in modern platforms.

I really just wanted this for posteriority, since I'm pretty sure Nintendo owns these games, and Philips had no control over anything.

or, you know, just having a little bit of sense of humor and acknowledge them time to time.. they softened on the Virtual Boy, why not this? At least we got a Tweet reference recently..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom