• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Finally a dev and engine confirmation for Mario RPG:

F-kT14HaQAA8XwV.jpg
F-kT14BaMAAGII3.jpg

ArtePiazza have handled a lot of RPG ports / remakes over the years, particularly Dragon Quest. They make sense as a long time collaborator with Enix.
Oh, thank goodness, people were thinking it was either Camelot or Grezzo, but I am glad those teams might be working on something else. Playing Star Ocean 2 and hearing that music is making me design more Golden Sun music from Motoi.

Finally a dev and engine confirmation for Mario RPG:

F-kT14HaQAA8XwV.jpg
F-kT14BaMAAGII3.jpg

ArtePiazza have handled a lot of RPG ports / remakes over the years, particularly Dragon Quest. They make sense as a long time collaborator with Enix.
I knew from the beginning it was going to be a team close to Square Enix. The cutscenes looked too much like their own games to be a studio like NDCube.

I knew from the beginning it was going to be a team close to Square Enix. The cutscenes looked too much like their own games to be a studio like NDCube.
It looks like DAG or Digital Media Lab. That didn't really exclude anybody since any outsourcing developer could use them. I guess it would exclude NDcube but that's because they typically use inengine cinematics

Waiting for the official apologies of people trying to cause me emotional distress by acting like SMRPG was being developed by Grezzo.

(don't worry, I'll do the same if Grezzo's next game isn't a remake of Oracle of Ages & Seasons)

Waiting for the official apologies of people trying to cause me emotional distress by acting like SMRPG was being developed by Grezzo.

(don't worry, I'll do the same if Grezzo's next game isn't a remake of Oracle of Ages & Seasons)
Don't think I said it here but Grezzo was my final guess in the end. The random performance issues described by DF had a nice Link's Awakening feel to them.

Note that Cattle Call may be a major player here as well, as they worked with ArtePiazza on all three DQ remakes on DS, Opoona, and I believe Innocent Life on PSP.

Dunno if they contributed to ArtePiazza's Romancing SaGa remakes however.

I think the thought is that it loses it luster if you don't see it first while playing the game. He doesn't like getting the game spoiled.

Yes and it's a pretty terrible viewpoint.

Saying "devs that make story focused games are in a rough era" or whatever when Spider-Man 2 just sold 5 million copies in a couple days... I don't know.

Yes and it's a pretty terrible viewpoint.

Saying "devs that make story focused games are in a rough era" or whatever when Spider-Man 2 just sold 5 million copies in a couple days... I don't know.
A closer comparison would be Mortal Kombat, and from a cursory glance the All cutscenes videos on the first page of Youtube makes up around 10M views for the new game. And they just sold 3M copies. I can understand it not being a priority.

To me the pre release trailer hype is more than worth the trade off, if there is a choice between the two.

A closer comparison would be Mortal Kombat, and from a cursory glance the All cutscenes videos on the first page of Youtube makes up around 10M views for the new game. And they just sold 3M copies. I can understand it not being a priority.

To me the pre release trailer hype is more than worth the trade off, if there is a choice between the two.

He's not just talking about Smash in the video though, but seemingly all story based games and that's when it goes from very weird to simply ludicrous.

image.png

I mean Sakurai is still a game developer first and foremost so I'm not suprised to see him having a developer first POV when it comes to that topic even if I disagree with him.

Most devs would probably rather have people experience the stories they craft through playing rather than watching a video compiling all the cutscenes. It's not even really only about lost sales.

Definitely a shame if it does affect all future Smash games single player content but I can't deny the reveal trailers are a nice treat regardless.

Sakurai reiterating that he will not put cutscenes in the middle of Smash single player because they'll get uploaded online.

.... What?

Masahiro Sakurai made this cinematics on the Subssary Emissary as sort of a reward, he was very disapoited this suprise he prepared for everyone, got leaked, before said person saw that on the game

Sakurai seeing people upload the story videos from SSE that he intended as "reward" for game progress must have informed his direction on Kid Icarus, where there wasn't as much of a segmentation between the gameplay parts and the story/cinematics.

Either way, I don't really see much of a point in reading stuff into what is little more than a throwaway line in a video about something only tangentially related. Of course he feels that it's a tough time to make story-based games, he was making them when people didn't upload full playthroughs or stream themselves playing games.

Sakurai seeing people upload the story videos from SSE that he intended as "reward" for game progress must have informed his direction on Kid Icarus, where there wasn't as much of a segmentation between the gameplay parts and the story/cinematics.

Either way, I don't really see much of a point in reading stuff into what is little more than a throwaway line in a video about something only tangentially related. Of course he feels that it's a tough time to make story-based games, he was making them when people didn't upload full playthroughs or stream themselves playing games.
which is one of the best things about that game

Considering Sakurai would then make Kid Icarus Uprising I think he says that line in jest. Regardless the budget spent on the reveal trailers rather than a resource heavy single player production is probably for the best. If people want something like Subspace then they better hope the team expands quite a bit to better facilitate resources that direction or become its own game with its own team.

and here's what it actually meant. nothing new unless you've missed how EPD has been working since the merging of the groups and integration of hardware and software units back in 2015:

English Q&A
That's pretty obvious looking at the Switch. It has far less intrusive gimmicks than some of Nintendo's past consoles simply because they were added at the request of EPD teams. Whereas with the Wii U, it felt like the GamePad came first, then was thrown to the game teams to figure out how to use it.

Yoshiaki Koizumi, who's the Switch's producer for instance, didn't know much about the Wii U prior to it's reveal at E3 2011.

Do you think it is plausible that Nintendo makes announcements during the game awards? I mainly think about something around Metroid and or Zelda.
Usually I'd say no shot, but in a year where they're going to have two EPD games as serious GOTY contenders, they'll want to bring something. And since none of their current titles appear to have DLC lined up, I'm at a lost of what they could announce at the show. Then again, Cereza and the Lost Demon came out of nowhere last year, so they could easily announce something that isn't related to The Legend of Zelda or Metroid Prime (or in addition to such announcements).

Do you think it is plausible that Nintendo makes announcements during the game awards? I mainly think about something around Metroid and or Zelda.
no. as always. especially no zelda lol

look, since we do this every year: they will never ever debut-announce/reveal anything from the core mega IP stuff. geoff will never get first time reveals for new zelda, metroid, mario, anything of the like. notice how the only stuff they brought in recent years were leftover smash DLC and bayo and I think a mario maker 2 trailer one time. that year almost a decade ago now where geoff got miyamoto to play zelda for him? that'll never happen again unless things are dire like they were in 2014. best you can hope for is a peach showtime trailer. but most likely nothing.

Last edited:
satoru iwata, may heaven rest his soul, seemingly thought the game awards were pretty cool but since his passing nintendo hasn't really given a fuck

Mario RPG leaked. Will see if I can get you all the credits shortly (they're even nicely labeled by which studio each person comes from), but here's a big one, internal EPD director:

image.png

Other notes:
  • Taro Kudo worked on the remake as Event Director / Writer.
  • There are a few Square Enix credits, including Tetsuya Nomura as Character Supervisor.
  • EPD producers: Toyokazu Nonaka / Shinya Saito

Last edited:
no. as always. especially no zelda lol

look, since we do this every year: they will never ever debut-announce/reveal anything from the core mega IP stuff. geoff will never get first time reveals for new zelda, metroid, mario, anything of the like. notice how the only stuff they brought in recent years were leftover smash DLC and bayo and I think a mario maker 2 trailer one time. that year almost a decade ago now where geoff got miyamoto to play zelda for him? that'll never happen again unless things are dire like they were in 2014. best you can hope for is a peach showtime trailer. but most likely nothing.
Here's what they brought up in the past years:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild DLC2 first trailer and shadowdrop

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Super Smash Ultimate FP 1 & Joker

Bravely Default II

Sephiroth
Ghost'n'Goblins Resurection

Nothing

Cereza and the Lost Demon

So, at the exception of 2021, they also bring something, either an exclusive, small 1st party reveals or DLCs for their biggest games, including Zelda.

If I remember correctly, the Sunbreak trailer at 2021 was preceded by a Nintendo Switch logo animation so that is what they brought to that year (especially if we are counting Ghost 'n' Goblins Resurrection)

Mario RPG leaked. Will see if I can get you all the credits shortly (they're even nicely labeled by which studio each person comes from), but here's a big one, internal EPD director:

Other notes:
  • There are a few Square Enix credits, including Tetsuya Nomura as Character Supervisor.

Is Kudo listed under Nintendo? He’s basically been doing contractor work for them on various back to back games.

Is Kudo listed under Nintendo? He’s basically been doing contractor work for them on various back to back games.

He is one of the few names with no studio label (alongside Shimomura and most of the other sound staff); may be indepdentent now.

image.png

Other notes:
If I remember correctly this would be Moriwaki's first directed game? I believe in pikmin 4 the credit was assistant director.

EDIT: The nintendo wiki is already updated with the credit lol

Nintendo developing a Mario RPG in-house is very interesting, even if its just a remake

Maybe if this game does well enough, this could be the start of things to come?

So this game was developed internally at Nintendo? Was this the first ever internally developed Mario RPG?
this give me hope, if Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario the Thousand Years Door remake is a success, this will give the incentive to revive Mario e Luigi and return Paper Mario to it roots

Does that bode well for a potential sequel? If they have a full fledged team at Nintendo making this game, and it does well, wouldn’t that imply a sequel?
Square needs to be on board for a sequel.

Last time they tried, they didn't get on board so Nintendo had the ex Square employees make Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga for the GBA, with Geno making a cameo. Superstar Saga is kind of a spiritual sequel to Mario RPG.

Square needs to be on board for a sequel.

Last time they tried, they didn't get on board so Nintendo had the ex Square employees make Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga for the GBA, with Geno making a cameo. Superstar Saga is kind of a spiritual sequel to Mario RPG.
Well back then square and Nintendo had a major falling out. Today square would have no reason not to green light a sequel, especially if this game sells well

The producer of the M&L games is in the credits,no company listed,also credited on fantasian

Direction/Art Direction/Supervion by nintendo,nintendo pictures did a big part of the in-game characters/animation/technical art,not really internal,another metroid dread/sushi strickers

UI Supervision by Nintendo thats why it looks like a lot of their games

Last edited:
Game was a Nintendo EPD2 production (not Square-Enix) and Nintendo Pictures has some significant involvement!
I assume they were already working on Mario RPG before the buyout, and was part of the reason why it happened in the first place then?

Was at nintendo today, three vans with foreign guys wearing suits,entered the building, half an hour latter the staff came back from lunch an there was quite a lot of gaijins among them i saw kensuke umeda riding a bike with a floral kimoto and two guys with monolith soft badges entering the building

BF5-C1901-7120-433-F-AEF0-5-C97-DD0-EBFDC.jpg

6511-E527-D2-BF-4-C24-82-EE-788-D549-B315-B.jpg

]
4-D4-EA977-A488-42-AE-BF81-A5-ADABE1-B59-F.jpg

54033-B6-F-D860-4431-8-E78-420-B47-A962-E4.jpg

04-F09762-5-A7-C-4-B39-9683-65463992-B932.jpg

31-A382-EF-AA07-45-AD-AF01-5-BFDBA73-A083.jpg

197-A82-BB-F160-4-B26-ACFB-6-A0-B99-C08-FAE.jpg

943-E9-F49-3-B01-4-BA1-BE66-674209931-A47.jpg

AA188-E26-504-D-4-DBD-A985-3-A15-DD8009-D0.jpg
I visited when in Kyoto a few years ago and also happened to go by during a lunch break. The fact I was queueing up to buy sandwiches behind people who might have, I don’t know, made the gravity mechanics in Mario Galaxy work felt magical and unbelievable. It’s such a quiet neighbourhood, and yet there’s this factory of magic in the middle.

80% likely.

Bar one year, Nintendo had an announcement at each since 2017:

2017: Bayonetta 3 (kept us waitin' did they? Those sillies) and Bayonetta 1 and 2 ports.
2018: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (still mind blown)
2019: Bravely Default 2
2020: Sephiroth in Smash, plus apparently Ghosts n' Goblins Resurrection was announced here as an exclusive by Capcom.
2021: IIRC nothing notable aside from another Sunbreak trailer.
2022: Bayonetta Origins

So yeah. It's likely COVID killed a game being announced but I'm not sure which would have been a candidate.

Are the credits for Nintendo's mobile games accurate? This is from Kyoto Report and looks to have some legitimacy. If so, how are the credits obtained?
I hope I am not annoying the folks here since I noticed recent news might have buried my question, so I am bringing it up in case it's overlooked.

Thank you for reading.

I hope I am not annoying the folks here since I noticed recent news might have buried my question, so I am bringing it up in case it's overlooked.

Thank you for reading.
Its mostly from patents and the australian rating board,sometimes other sources like interviews and linkedin

Back
Top Bottom