• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

I mean, yeah, if all you care about is marketability, but from an artistic, and in the case of Pratt, moral standpoint, it fucking sucks. This might be technically better than the 90s movie, but I guarantee it'll be less interesting.

What’s wrong with this old masterpiece:

tumblr_njxkuvFxcp1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Actually a guilty pleasure of mine. Might be one of the few who enjoyed the movie.

let's not pretend getting Illumination and Chris Pratt are bad moves. I get not liking their stuff, but if you want a good chance at success, that's the move you make
its funny because famiboards constantly says that we should not throw away quality for money, hell im sure someone said that over star fox just a few hours ago!

Personally, im really hoping the mario film is a massive success so we can move on to ips that would be better suited for films and/or series such as zelda,metroid, star fox.

This almost feels like a summation of the "do something new, and it may sell better even if fans are wary" take for Star Fox haha
Yeah, they may not be popular amongst the more hardcore audience, but the general audience will love it. Gonna be interesting to see how Miyamoto oversees it and guides them. Honestly despite the Minions, Illumination's other series like Secret Life of Pets and Sing are pretty decent and probably closer to what we'll get with Mario. I'm just glad we're likely not getting the original Mario movie or Detective Pikachu movie uncanny valley art style again.
I don't believe fans would be against a non-rail shooter star fox provided it's quality. because at the end of the day, that's what we all care about.

also, TPC is stupid for not making DP2

its funny because famiboards constantly says that we should not throw away quality for money, hell im sure someone said that over star fox just a few hours ago!
then make a quality non-rail shooter Star Fox. simpies

My concern over Pratt’s casting never had anything to do with the fear of him giving a bad performance; but pretending like that’s the one and only complaint you could have probably makes arguing a lot easier!

Already not a fan of casting celebrity actors just to get big names on the poster, over professional voice actors that do voice over work for a living; but at the very least I got a laugh out of the choices for the other characters. If he is given a good script and direction Charlie Day as Luigi should be funny. Why I really object to Pratt’s casting are the views he holds that make seeing him as the main face of what will inevitably become a huge media property an uncomfortable feeling.

The 90s Mario movie is an absolute guilty pleasure. It's like this weird fever dream of Mario Bros., Demolition Man, Blade Runner and Theodore Rex all mashed together. I find that little tidbits like how Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo drank their way through the movie really adds to its whole vibe.

Did the thread evolved? I havent visited since yesterday but now it feel like the General lol. Nothing wrong with that, I was just used to linkedn or blog profile of people working at Nintendo.

Seems like it, jumping between the 2 now that the direct speculation thread is gone
Edit: I also confuse the 2 cause they are usually right next to each other

Did the thread evolved? I havent visited since yesterday but now it feel like the General lol. Nothing wrong with that, I was just used to linkedn or blog profile of people working at Nintendo.
These conversations are probably more fitting for the general thread, yes. Should probably move them over there if they’re going to continue I think.

Personally speaking I think this thread is best when it’s more quiet; notable finds or in-depth discussion about first-party devs specifically.

These conversations are probably more fitting for the general thread, yes. Should probably move them over there if they’re going to continue I think.

Personally speaking I think this thread is best when it’s more quiet; notable finds or in-depth discussion about first-party devs specifically.
Usually the thread is active when I game comes out, a game is announced, job listing, etc. And yeah those conv are fantastic when dealing with first-party structures.

let's not pretend getting Illumination and Chris Pratt are bad moves. I get not liking their stuff, but if you want a good chance at success, that's the move you make
I mean casting Chris Pratt certainly has backlash potential. If they wanted to cast a Hollywood Chris, they chose the one most likely to be controversial

So still being contained to mostly the internet for the time being. Searching further there have been some stars confronting them about the church their connected too. But nothing on the scale yet that would create a backlash on say the scale of Niosi, who Nintendo did drop after their allegations we proven true.
Oh, I don't think there'll be a backlash sizeable enough to make Nintendo drop him, but I was disputing the notion that "you might not like him but hiring him is good business sense". I think he is disliked enough that it has the potential to cause some (small) impact on the film's success.

But even that aside, I'm skeptical of the idea of hiring Pratt to voice Mario will be beneficial. To be honest, I'm not really convinced that having any big-name star play Mario is going to make a notable positive impact on box office revenue for something like a Mario movie, where the main selling point will be "it's a (me) Mario movie". Moreover, I'm not actually convinced that Chris Pratt is the box office draw Hollywood seems to think he is - literally all of his highest grossing films are franchises which would have done just as well with anyone in the lead role (MCU, Jurassic, Lego, Pixar).

Anyway, I clearly have Opinions on this but I'm going to drop it now since people have (quite rightly) pointed out that this thread should be a little more focused than the General thread.

Here is an interesting conspiracy I came across myself
All big Zelda and Mario games released within a year to each other

Mario Sunshine - July 19th 2002
Wind Waker - December 13rd 2002

Twillight Princess - November 19th 2006
Mario Galaxy - November 1st 2007

Mario Galaxy 2 - May 23rd 2010
Super Mario 3D Land - November 3rd 2011
Skyward Sword - November 18th 2011

Wind Waker HD - September 20th 2013
Super Mario 3D World - November 21st 2013

Mario Maker - September 10th 2015
Twillight Princess HD - March 4th 2016

Breath of the Wild - March 3rd 2017
Mario Odyssey - Oktober 27th 2017

(New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - January 11th 2019)
Mario Maker 2 - June 28th 2019
Links Awakening Remake - September 20th 2019

Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury - February 12th 2021
Skyward Sword HD - July 16th 2021

The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom - May 12th 2023
New 3D Mario - ???

charlie-day-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia.gif

So still being contained to mostly the internet for the time being. Searching further there have been some stars confronting them about the church their connected too. But nothing on the scale yet that would create a backlash on say the scale of Niosi, who Nintendo did drop after their allegations we proven true.
There's also the story he likes to tell of the time he flashed a coworker, but given how it's continued to be portrayed as funny and jovial, that's not much a liability either.

New 3D Mario - ???

Between the hiring call in late 2019, the Super Mario movie, NST and 1-Up doing heavy lifting on Bowser's Fury, and the lengthy gap since Odyssey... it's really a case of 3D Super Mario being due soon. I'd be surprised if we go through 2023 without a new mainline Super Mario, either 2D or 3D.

Also, in 2013, the big Zelda release was really A Link Between Worlds, and that launched very, very close to Super Mario 3D World.

Between the hiring call in late 2019, the Super Mario movie, NST and 1-Up doing heavy lifting on Bowser's Fury, and the lengthy gap since Odyssey... it's really a case of 3D Super Mario being due soon. I'd be surprised if we go through 2023 without a new mainline Super Mario, either 2D or 3D.

Also, in 2013, the big Zelda release was really A Link Between Worlds, and that launched very, very close to Super Mario 3D World.
Yeah. We’re definitely not going through 2023 without a brand new 2D Mario or 3D Mario.

Koizumi is one of the directors at Nintendo Pictures. I remember that he has expressed wanting to do cinematic contents so this is a great opportunity for him.

Screenshot_20221003-142543_Chrome.jpg

New 3D Mario - ???

I think Nintendo would love if this weren’t the case, if, instead, their two biggest franchises were counter cyclical to each other. Mario and Zelda are prestige titles, they tend to come out when they come out, but corporate puts pressure on those teams when things like hardware launches loom.

EPD 8 is working on a 2D game that is probably Donkey Kong, and EPD 10 has probably been working on Pikmin 4. While I'm sure a new 3D Mario has been cooking, I'll eat my hat if we see anything of it in the next 12 months.

(I would love, in this context, to eat my hat)

While I'm sure a new 3D Mario has been cooking, I'll eat my hat if we see anything of it in the next 12 months.
It will most likely release in the next 12 months. (Holiday 2023). New Mario game is having very long development time, yes covid was rough and everything but EPD Tokyo is probably switching to universal LunchPack engine so that may explain it. EPD Tokyo is working on two projects at the same time, new 2D game and new 3D game, this is basically confirmed due to hiring calls.

I think Nintendo would love if this weren’t the case, if, instead, their two biggest franchises were counter cyclical to each other. Mario and Zelda are prestige titles, they tend to come out when they come out, but corporate puts pressure on those teams when things like hardware launches loom.

EPD 8 is working on a 2D game that is probably Donkey Kong, and EPD 10 has probably been working on Pikmin 4. While I'm sure a new 3D Mario has been cooking, I'll eat my hat if we see anything of it in the next 12 months.

Get your hat ready. We’re past 5 years since Odyssey. Enough time has passed for a reveal. And I already believe Nintendo has been holding announcements back because they want to reveal it with Drake.

EPD 8 hired for a 3D game before the 2D game, and we can assume that's not Bowser's Fury given NST provided the bulk of the staff for that.

Im pretty sure EPD 8 can handle more than just a 2D at a time
There are working on a 3D action game regardless, at least since 2019

It is more of a question of "when" and not "if"

I think they're overdue to announce a Mario game at this point, either 2D or 3D. Maybe they wait until E3 after Zelda is out, but I think a February Direct reveal would be for the best because in spring they're debuting the Mario movie as well as Super Nintendo World in Hollywood. Why not capitalize on that to get people hyped for the next mainline Mario game.

Im pretty sure EPD 8 can handle more than just a 2D at a time
There are working on a 3D action game regardless, at least since 2019

It is more of a question of "when" and not "if"

Oh 100%, of course a new 3D Mario game is coming! I just think that Mario and Zelda come together because Nintendo needs to sell hardware units, and even if they do release new hardware next year, I don't think that's the case. I think Nintendo would like to not blow their two biggest, and rarest, franchises in the same year if they don't have to, and I think if Nintendo moved Donkey Kong development back into EPD around the same time that Retro took over Prime 4, then it was because they wanted a DK game out on some kind of timeline and they wanted something special.

Since we've not seen that - and we've had a 3D Mario teaser in Bowser's Fury, and we know Galaxy 2 is banked - then I suspect that we won't see 3D Mario next year. Especially since 2D Mario sells better and is more welcoming to new players, I have been assuming before the Pikmin announcement that EPD10 has been working on something to time out with the Mario film.

But I would love to be proven wrong.

What if Tokyo future titles are…

3D Project -> Donkey Kong (2023)
2D Project -> Captain Toad 2 (2024)
I like the sound of that! Would that be a 2D Captain Toad platformer? And, who would be making 3D Mario or would it be on hold?

Imamura collaborating with Nintendo Pictures on Star Fox or F-ZERO would really be rad.

So I was wondering. It is assumed that Nintendo is working on the next mainline 3D Mario game. Do we have any idea or clue as to when development started? Was it shortly after Super Mario Odyssey or did they not start development until after Bowser's Fury?

So I was wondering. It is assumed that Nintendo is working on the next mainline 3D Mario game. Do we have any idea or clue as to when development started? Was it shortly after Super Mario Odyssey or did they not start development until after Bowser's Fury?
I think 3d mario and 3d zelda are the two ip nintendo are always working on, at least in some capacity. As soon as a game is out they probably brainstorm what the next entry could be (even with dlc planned) . Full production is another story.

There are indications of hiring back in 2019, but that's not definitive.

if EPD Tokyo has split into 2 different teams: 2D platformer + 3D platformer it means that the workforce has been halved (not counting potential hires) which somehow explains why their next game is not announced yet.

I still think that 3D Mario from Tokyo was scrapped. We will see it next year tho.

I think so too. EPD Tokyo is usually a team with a speedy output so being 5 years out from Odyssey and not even having their new game announced yet is very unusual. It makes more sense to me that the next game we see from them started in 2020/2021 rather than late 2017 at this stage.

I wouldn't even expect a 2023 release for 3D Mario right now because of how long it's been, but they should have something holiday 2024 by the latest.

Back
Top Bottom