• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

I expect the next 3D Mario will be Odyssey 2. Nintendo released DLC to MK8 eight years after release. BOTW's sequel is coming 6+ years after its release. 3D Mario devs have consistently had a huge surplus in game ideas that led to a direct sequel (SMG2, 3DW). I don't think it's too late for an Odyssey sequel. The game was an enormous success and just like with BOTW I believe that will play a part in greenlighting a sequel. If they are indeed transitioning to LunchPack and began full development in 2019, and factoring in COVID delays, plus the possibility of cross-gen software being timed for an iterative successor, a 2023-24 release still seems entirely possible for SMO2.

And this isn't my bias or preference, I enjoyed Odyssey but prefer SMG/2 and 3DW. This is just my supposition. 🙂

I've expressed before why I think part of the lengthy gap between 3D Mario games could be due to Tokyo leaving their own propriatary engine behind and adpoting LunchPack. Pile on top COVID-induced delays and the 2D Action Game project their staff are also working on, and we aren't at a point where their absence is all that egregious to me. The next 3D Mario will come when it is ready, so it isn't ready.

Really curious to see what pops up first out of Kyoto's 2D Game, Tokyo's 2D Game and Tokyo's 3D Game. I'm betting the former right now (release next year, reveal in Q1) but really it could go all sorts of ways.

I've expressed before why I think part of the lengthy gap between 3D Mario games could be due to Tokyo leaving their own propriatary engine behind and adpoting LunchPack. Pile on top COVID-induced delays and the 2D Action Game project their staff are also working on, and we aren't at a point where their absence is all that egregious to me. The next 3D Mario will come when it is ready, so it isn't ready.

Really curious to see what pops up first out of Kyoto's 2D Game, Tokyo's 2D Game and Tokyo's 3D Game. I'm betting the former right now (release next year, reveal in Q1) but really it could go all sorts of ways.

Supposing the main reason for the long wait is that they are switching engines, I wonder if the next one will be in the vein of Odyssey, in the vein of 3D World, Bowser's Fury, or something completely new? I could see them doing something new and unexpected. I wonder what it could be?

Supposing the main reason for the long wait is that they are switching engines, I wonder if the next one will be in the vein of Odyssey, in the vein of 3D World, Bowser's Fury, or something completely new? I could see them doing something new and unexpected. I wonder what it could be?
I'm not sure if an engine change is the cause of the delay. in any case, regardless of what it ran on, I think Bowser's Fury is a blueprint to what the next game will be like. that design alone would cause development to extend a log time. multiple Bowser Fury worlds would take a lot of man hours

I love Odyssey so i'd take a direct sequel even after this long; and 3D World is incredible too so a new game in that style would be great to see. At this point I feel like it'll be a new type of Sandbox 3D Mario though; probably expanding on the open-ish design of Bowser's Fury. I don't want to say full open world; I don't think that's necessary for Mario.

I don't like suggesting this but with the references to Pikmin and Star Fox objects in those unknown project files datamined from the 3D All-Stars maybe the gimmick to an Odyssey sequel would be worlds themed after other Nintendo franchises. I'd like to beleive those are only there for testing purposes though. They did cut a Link costume from Odyssey though so you could either take that as avoiding crossover elements like that entirely or clearing the field for another game to do it.

The Nintendo themed discussion which we did on Era to me is the best thing to do with an Odyssey 2. You might never get this cool of a crossover with Nintendo IP’s. It fits with Odyssey and Mario traveling. This doesn’t need to be a staple. Just a one and done thing

No more Nintendo crossovers,, we already have smash isn't that enough? Maybe a new NintendoLand but pls let's not have every Mario ip become like smash

No more Nintendo crossovers,, we already have smash isn't that enough? Maybe a new NintendoLand but pls let's not have every Mario ip become like smash
No this isn’t the same bruh. It’s a single 3D Mario game and it fits with the motif of Odyssey. Nobody said to make a new series. This is a 3D platformer one time.

I want Mario to throw Cappy on a Bulborb

No this isn’t the same bruh. It’s a single 3D Mario game and it fits with the motif of Odyssey. Nobody said to make a new series. This is a 3D platformer one time.
I get it but I still don't like it. What I don't like is that it would set a precedent, which means after that people will ask for more fan service for more franchise and that's how the entire discourse goes to shit. Then you'll also have multiple discussion on how the obligatory fire emblem and xenoblade kingdoms in odyssey 2 are huge stain in the history of the Mario franchise and other dumb stuff. I just don't find the appeal of a fan service idea like this for a new Mario game. It would become the "I remember this from the other franchise " the game and while cool in concept I don't think it's a good idea in the long run and it's kind of a mentally bankrupt idea.
Also we didn't get delfino plaza in odyssey and we're already asking for a metroid kingdoms?

Last edited:
I trust that the 3D Mario team can come up with something more creative than Odyssey Again But a Crossover

I get it but I still don't like it. What I don't like is that it would set a precedent, which means after that people will ask for more fan service for more franchise and that's how the entire discourse goes to shit. Then you'll also have multiple discussion on how the obligatory fire emblem and xenoblade kingdoms in odyssey 2 are huge stain in the history of the Mario franchise and other dumb stuff. I just don't find the appeal of a fan service idea like this for a new Mario game. It would become the "I remember this from the other franchise " the game and while cool in concept I don't think it's a good idea in the long run and it's kind of a mentally bankrupt idea.
Also we didn't get delfino plaza in odyssey and we're already asking for a metroid kingdoms?
We’ll just disagree. The last group that should be called “mentally bankrupt” is the 3D Mario team after all they done. Delfino plaza was on the map, but we didn’t visit it.

Weren't full new 3D Mario Games always plagues with super long dev gaps? Mario 64 to Sunshine, Sunshine to Galaxy, etc. They all had like 5-6 years and that was before HD development and Covid

Weren't full new 3D Mario Games always plagues with super long dev gaps? Mario 64 to Sunshine, Sunshine to Galaxy, etc. They all had like 5-6 years and that was before HD development and Covid
Plus the rumored 2D DK game they’re (that group) is supposed to be working on. It all makes sense why it’s taking time.

I love Odyssey so i'd take a direct sequel even after this long; and 3D World is incredible too so a new game in that style would be great to see. At this point I feel like it'll be a new type of Sandbox 3D Mario though; probably expanding on the open-ish design of Bowser's Fury. I don't want to say full open world; I don't think that's necessary for Mario.

I think expanding on what Bowser's Fury did would be great! More worlds with plenty of neat little challenges. Hopefully those funny cats will be back!

If they were making a direct sequel to Odyssey they wouldn't be switching engines

I mean, we don't actually know if they are switching engines. It would make sense, but that doesn't mean they're definitely going to do it.

Zelda was supposed to come out Holiday 2022 and this announcement was made back at E3 2021, so clearly they were not expecting Mario to launch this year. Seems like it was always "locked" for 2023.

In my honest humble opinion there isn't anything more boring then Nintendo plastering their game franchises with crossovers.

It is probably one of the most dystopian corporate marketing game premises I can think of.

With Smash it is a bit different because that was the whole premise from the beginning.

Just let me enjoy unique, creative worlds without giving me fan service references.

The game that did such a thing the best and most respectful has to be Links Awakening.

We’ll just disagree. The last group that should be called “mentally bankrupt” is the 3D Mario team after all they done. Delfino plaza was on the map, but we didn’t visit it.
Exactly, that's why I wouldn't want them to make a crossover Mario game.
They can create so many cool new worlds and levels they don't need to look at other franchises to make levels for fan service

Wahoo, it's a me, Mario! Wow, I'm in a Hyrule™, the world of The Legend of Zelda™, waha! Once we have all three moon shards, let's a go to the Nintendo eShop to learn more, yippee!

I highly doubt the next 3D Mario (or any 3D Mario really) will have a crossover theme. It just doesn’t seem like something Nintendo would do in mainline games. They haven’t even gone the whole way with Mario Kart.

f4MXse4.png

avengers-we-are-in-the-endgame-now.gif

Off topic and I may have brought up the idea before, but since CAProduction made Sky Odyssey for Sony and Wing Island with Hudson, anyone else want to see them and NdCube take a crack at Pilotwings? CAProduction lead on Clubhouse Games Switch and work on almost all NdCube games on support duty (as they did with many Hudson games), so I'd think they could be a perfect team to do a brand-new Pilotwings on Switch if given the chance. Better than Monster Games repurposing Wii Sports Resort Airplane into Pilotwings Resort. :p

Off topic and I may have brought up the idea before, but since CAProduction made Sky Odyssey for Sony and Wing Island with Hudson, anyone else want to see them and NdCube take a crack at Pilotwings? CAProduction lead on Clubhouse Games Switch and work on almost all NdCube games on support duty (as they did with many Hudson games), so I'd think they could be a perfect team to do a brand-new Pilotwings on Switch if given the chance. Better than Monster Games repurposing Wii Sports Resort Airplane into Pilotwings Resort. :p
dont worry,they will put a airplane minigame in the next mario party game

Yeah I hope they'll finally be able to do more than just Mario Party more often soon. Didn't NdCube say they were finally looking to make new IPs recently?
oJFvYwQ.png

mlpuVds.png

9kRav7G.png

eikRTNy.png

QyT1Y8B.png

That was 5 years ago,theres an department focusing on new proposals,daisuke izumi still havent got an credit,maybe nothing was greenlit or maybe theres something almost done

Looks like Osamu Tsuchihashi, the creator of Kororinpa and Lost in Shadows is also in the new proposals department,he is the owner of the patent of conecting multiple switches, look like some of the new ideas were incorpored on Clubhouse Games so it wasnt just a waste of time

US11055048-20210706-D00011.png

US11055048-20210706-D00015.png

clubhouse_gif.gif

Looks like Osamu Tsuchihashi, the creator of Kororinpa and Lost in Shadows is also in the new proposals department,he is the owner of the patent of conecting multiple switches, look like some of the new ideas were incorpored on Clubhouse Games so it wasnt just a waste of time

US11055048-20210706-D00011.png

US11055048-20210706-D00015.png

clubhouse_gif.gif
WOAH, I didn't know the creator of Kororimpa made it to NdCube, nice pick-up! :O

Also, this was in Super Mario Party as well! :)

I dont see the game releasing before 2024.
8 to 12 months of product testing would put us at a second half 2023 finish for full production. And we know Nintendo don't ship all their games as soon as they're done (product testing could also take longer than 8 to 12 months).

I wouldn't mind this. They need to flesh out the area around Spocco Square after all.

OMG

Is it time for me to get hopeful or is it too early for that yet?

(Also is it common to contract product testers if the game is like nowhere near content complete? Original plan was 2023 release but with nothing on MPR I thought that ship had sailed)

Edit: just saw the other posters and product testers being hired 1 year before game going gold... Hmmm that makes me suspicious it might end up as an early 2024 title after all.

OMG

Is it time for me to get hopeful or is it too early for that yet?

(Also is it common to contract product testers if the game is like nowhere near content complete? Original plan was 2023 release but with nothing on MPR I thought that ship had sailed)

Edit: just saw the other posters and product testers being hired 1 year before game going gold... Hmmm that makes me suspicious it might end up as an early 2024 title after all.
Retro hired a Product tester in 2019 (and he’s still there). They’ve had multiple product testers hired/left since then.

I wonder if post-launch support for Tetris 99 has completely ended now. The last new theme added was for Kirby in April, which was also around the same time as the most recent update which added the remaining previous themes to the game data instead of hosting them on Nintendo’s content delivery service.

Most of the leads also worked on Super Mario Bros. 35, but that was always intended to be a limited release. We might see the next title soon.

I wonder if post-launch support for Tetris 99 has completely ended now. The last new theme added was for Kirby in April, which was also around the same time as the most recent update which added the remaining previous themes to the game data instead of hosting them on Nintendo’s content delivery service.

Most of the leads also worked on Super Mario Bros. 35, but that was always intended to be a limited release. We might see the next title soon.
Who was the team?

Quoted by: N75
Which of these three do you think has the most chance coming first?

3D Tokyo game (new 3D Mario), 2D Tokyo game (Donkey Kong), 2D Kyoto game (Mario).

I think the Donkey Kong game would make a good sense closer to theme park expansion, which is coming in 2024 but I know this logic may not apply to Nintendo since it seems like they are not launching any new Mario game alongside the movie.

Revealing the new 3D Mario earlier in 2023 and releasing closer to Holiday is probably my safest bet. 2D Mario from Kyoto could be filled earlier in the year (think about something like June) but am not sure if that's a much of Mario in span of few months (altough remember that they released 2D Mario port in January and another 2D Mario in June which is 5 months apart, same for 3D All-Stars and then a 3D World + Bowsers Fury.

3D Tokyo game (new 3D Mario), 2D Tokyo game (Donkey Kong), 2D Kyoto game (Mario).

I think the Donkey Kong game would make a good sense closer to theme park expansion, which is coming in 2024 but I know this logic may not apply to Nintendo since it seems like they are not launching any new Mario game alongside the movie.
I suspect that tie in games just don’t fit the internal dev structures Nintendo has. That sort of strict, externally imposed launch date is something Nintendo only does for hardware releases and they’ve been known to still slip.

Best case scenario, a game is done so far in advance that Nintendo has the ability to bank the release. In which case which game will see first has nothing to do with which one is done first.

Revealing the new 3D Mario earlier in 2023 and releasing closer to Holiday is probably my safest bet. 2D Mario from Kyoto could be filled earlier in the year (think about something like June) but am not sure if that's a much of Mario in span of few months (altough remember that they released 2D Mario port in January and another 2D Mario in June which is 5 months apart, same for 3D All-Stars and then a 3D World + Bowsers Fury.
DK in summer 2023 then 3D Mario in holiday 2023

Back
Top Bottom