• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

iirc Emily Rogers said a while back that there's actually a decent amount of fondness for Golden Sun at Nintendo, with the obvious hurdle being "Camelot's tiny and the Mario Sports games are much easier money in comparison, so we'd need to find the right partner"

Maybe Furukawa being an RPG dork means Golden Sun will get the push it needs to overcome that inertia
Even get Monolith to assist with development. I think they'd like to work on an RPG as well and their engine is pretty impressive.

iirc Emily Rogers said a while back that there's actually a decent amount of fondness for Golden Sun at Nintendo, with the obvious hurdle being "Camelot's tiny and the Mario Sports games are much easier money in comparison, so we'd need to find the right partner"

Maybe Furukawa being an RPG dork means Golden Sun will get the push it needs to overcome that inertia
For golden sun, the key point is whether Nintendo think it will have good sale, which i think it is negative.

For golden sun, the key point is whether Nintendo think it will have good sale, which i think it is negative.
I think Golden Sun would sell well, there is a non-insignificant number of Fire Emblem VAs that would free signal boost the game, add in an artist contest for free merch and bam you can get a lot of attention. It looks like Paper Mario TTYD is being incredibly well received.

Golden Sun was trending like crazy after this and when the games were announced for NSO.

if that were true, half the games they put out wouldn't exist.

they are uniquely weird in that way where they obviously seek sales potential in their projects but also just greenlight stuff that is simply interesting to them sometimes. financial motivation is only one part of the equation, not the key point. that much should be obvious if you simply look at what they've put out over the last few decades.

MS got bigger fish to fry. there's a ton of work-for-hire studios out there with ample rpg experience.
everyone's gamer brain shortcut rn is "rpg on nintendo? get monolithsoft on it!"
like how it used to be "need combat? get PG on it!" 😓

Last edited:
As long as they can provide a good pitch for a modestly-budgeted game, I think a Golden Sun project can probably get the greenlight. It's just a matter of proving there is enough interest to justify even a small-scale project, which in this case probably means NSO playtime, and finding a studio that can work with Camelot on it.

Playing Star Ocean 2 remake and thinking the mixture of 3D environments and 2D sprites for characters and enemies would work well in either a new Golden Sun or a remake. You could keep elements of the original visual style going in a modernised fashion without needing 3D modelling and animation. It'd enable them to keep the flashier elements of the games, like the summons, and replicate the feel some of the striking visuals the original games had on GBA.

I would bet that if they ever did do another Golden Sun, it would be mostly externally developed with Camelot providing a bit of guidance on the larger concept and loop. Honestly you’d need someone like the Asano team to do it (they wouldn’t) or the SO2 remake team.

Would be sort of a fun game for Gemdrops to pitch if they haven’t.

I would bet that if they ever did do another Golden Sun, it would be mostly externally developed with Camelot providing a bit of guidance on the larger concept and loop. Honestly you’d need someone like the Asano team to do it (they wouldn’t) or the SO2 remake team.

Would be sort of a fun game for Gemdrops to pitch if they haven’t.
I think camelot wont involve in development unless Nintendo paid to it (or just give some advice to external team). Coz they are not subsidiary of Nintendo, they will suffer if the game flopped. They surely dont want to take such a risky move.

About Asano team, Midori said SQEX let them develop a XR game for VR devices such as Oculus Quest. It is funny as I think putting a HD-2D team in developing a XR game is some sort of wasting their manpower.

IS has a pretty decent team size of 178, as of 2023, plus Engage had been done for sometime. Also there is not a lot of staff overlapped of FE games and Paper Mario. PM has more common staff with Warioware.
Actually, IS has 198 employees now: https://job.mynavi.jp/25/pc/search/corp80932/outline.html

Also, while I'm too lazy to check rn, I'm pretty sure Engage actually had a pretty decent overlap with the Origami King team. Which makes sense I guess, considering how much more resource intensive HD development is.

Actually, IS has 198 employees now: https://job.mynavi.jp/25/pc/search/corp80932/outline.html

Also, while I'm too lazy to check rn, I'm pretty sure Engage actually had a pretty decent overlap with the Origami King team. Which makes sense I guess, considering how much more resource intensive HD development is.
Oh dang, I was doing a piece on IS history and saw 178 on their page, seems to have been an old search, thanks.

So at least according to Mobygames, Engage and Origami King share around 70 people and its mostly people in Special Thanks, Localization and 2 general producers Sengoku (current president of IS) and Nakamura (producer at IS)

Oh dang, I was doing a piece on IS history and saw 178 on their page, seems to have been an old search, thanks.

So at least according to Mobygames, Engage and Origami King share around 70 people and its mostly people in Special Thanks, Localization and 2 general producers Sengoku (current president of IS) and Nakamura (producer at IS)
Ahh, okay, I thought there was more in terms of like, art and programming. Still though, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more overlap of teams in the future as development gets even more complex and resource intensive on Switch 2. Plus, I'm sure IS will continue to hire more people and grow in size.

I've been musing about how IMO Next Level Games should've gobbled up as many Coalition and Relic folks during their layoffs over the last two years, but sadly, even if Work From Home negates the issue of office space (offices are NOT like clown cars!), it's still a matter of how much Nintendo are willing to invest in creating a bunch of jobs on the spot and how many more mouths to feed/pay, etc.

This then made me wonder; what studio and when at Nintendo (for EPD, team specific as they're, funny enough, sort of a ahem monolith combined...) had the largest influx of new hires in a quarter or at least a year. Surely someone keeping track of this would have an idea?

I was more meaning for their developer manpower to assist with Camelot.
then that's just a waste though? that's what outsourcing houses exist for. unless you need specific expertise, why siphon off developers from another studio that has its own need for their staff.
I think camelot wont involve in development unless Nintendo paid to it (or just give some advice to external team). Coz they are not subsidiary of Nintendo, they will suffer if the game flopped. They surely dont want to take such a risky move.

About Asano team, Midori said SQEX let them develop a XR game for VR devices such as Oculus Quest. It is funny as I think putting a HD-2D team in developing a XR game is some sort of wasting their manpower.
just a week or two ago we had talked about how that's specifically not the case because if they're making a game for nintendo, they're making a game for nintendo. they're getting paid no matter what.

Funny enough, apparently Nintendo DID poach Bowser's Inside Story's original director over at Monolith, so Monolith IS appropriate for like, a remake of Mario & Luigi maybe. But going by Fantasian's credits, the majority of AlphaDrean went to Arzest or possibly Mistwalker. The former makes sense as Arzest did the giant battles in Bowser's Inside Story 3D, their last collab with Nintendo.

For Golden Sun... why not ArtePiazza and Cattle Call? They just did a fantastic remake of the pre-rendered Mario RPG. Maybe Golden Sun 1+2 could be their next step. Funny you could argue that they could of course do Mario & Luigi as well, the main successor to Mario RPG. 🤔

Last edited:
For Golden Sun... why not ArtePiazza and Cattle Call? They just did a fantastic remake of the pre-rendered Mario RPG. Maybe Golden Sun 1+2 could be their next step. Funny you could argue that they could of course do Mario & Luigi as well, the main successor to Mario RPG. 🤔
Cattle call is interesting because based on their cadence they should be doing something soon. Their last release was Dungeon Encounters in 2021, and before that it was Alliance Alive for 3ds in 2018

Does anyone know why Nintendo credits their president as executive producer of every Nintendo game? I don't think Playstation credits their CEO as executive producer of Sony first party games.
I just take Executive Producer as a role for the higher-up who approved the product in the first place. Basically the "I gave them money to make this" kind of role.

Even then it's not exclusive to Nintendo either. Other companies have been credited executives under this role, regardless of their involvement in actual development.

the credits for fire emblem heroes we had were from 2017,in the recent one the team got much bigger and kusakihara is the art director now,plus nearly all IS composers worked in it
they really ramped up development,though we dont know exactly when,theres even an artist that joined IS in 2018 and didnt work in any other game besides heroes
G368XJG.png

yZRv2nY.png

hfUD1zO.png

Looks like they’ve finally added staff who have worked on all previous updates, not just the most recent one.

Tetsuro Matsuzaki and Toshitaka Muramatsu worked on the Tap Battle (added February 2018) and Lost Lore (added August 2019) modes, but are only being credited now.

Cattle call is interesting because based on their cadence they should be doing something soon. Their last release was Dungeon Encounters in 2021, and before that it was Alliance Alive for 3ds in 2018
If we're basing this on cadence, Camelot should have something soon since their last release was in 2021. It could be that it was for the Switch successor as well, but you never know. Their company strategy right now is to focus on training and developing new staff, so work on a Golden Sun remake (or even a new smaller IP) could go a long way towards that goal.

If we're basing this on cadence, Camelot should have something soon since their last release was in 2021. It could be that it was for the Switch successor as well, but you never know. Their company strategy right now is to focus on training and developing new staff, so work on a Golden Sun remake (or even a new smaller IP) could go a long way towards that goal.
Yup. I wonder if they just wait till the next system to get something out because they dont have anymore series to release on this system except Golden Sun.

Maybe it could be just a Switch 2 port of Odyssey just like how BOTW is going to have a Switch 2 port.
Not saying that can't be the case, but it doesn't match their usual conventions

3D World was RedCarpet, and then the Switch port was RedCarpet-S. Same with NSMB (RedPro on WiiU, RedPro-S on Switch)

So an Odyssey port would be expected to have a codename along the lines of RedStar-[letter] (presumably O, if the supposed BotW port codename is any indication

I would guess SilverStar might be the codename for Bowser's Fury prior to converting into a 3D World expansion. A similar codename suggests it was related to Odyssey so the prototype version for like 2017-2019 might have been more Odyssey based. I assume somewhere in the middle they bring back Cat Mario for the vertical elements which probably prompts a port for 3D World and a pivot of Fury being more 3D World esque.

At a guess

SilverStar: the follow-up to Odyssey; starts as an expansion, broadens in scope and becomes a sequel. Scrapped after they couldn't get their vision for the project running well on Switch hardware (alleged cancelation of Switch Pro may factor into this)

Bowser's Fury: a prototype or bare-bones build of SilverStar get fleshed out somewhat to make the 3D World port more enticing and test the waters for the new direction they were considering

SPRed: SilverStar but now finished and expanded due to the improved capabilities of Switch 2

If her information is accurate, it sounds like some form of DLC / expansion for Odyssey was in development ("was" is the key word, no longer a thing).

Could explain a bit about their production pipeline post-2017.

I joked about it being Super Luigi Odyssey in the hardware thread, but given they did add Luigi to the game as a small DLC update, maybe having a Luigi Odyssey DLC was a bigger plan at some point.

This seems like a recurring thing for Intelligent Systems. It was the case for the first WarioWare on Switch and there was all the talk of FE Engage being mostly wrapped up in early 2022, too. Given how productive they are it wouldn't surprise me if we do see another Fire Emblem title this year or next.

i could be from the other ndcube,seems like they back to making party games
if you wondering why 11 years without a credit, ndcube tokyo after island tour made amiibo festival and then spend the last 9 years on Animal Crossing Pocket Camp it seems the game its slowing down or dying soon
You might be onto something there?

If her information is accurate, it sounds like some form of DLC / expansion for Odyssey was in development ("was" is the key word, no longer a thing).

Could explain a bit about their production pipeline post-2017.

forever mad we never got a delfino plaza expansion. ugh.

Just goes to show why the Switch is Nintendo's most profitable system thus far

Man having a mainline Pokémon game for the first year of the Switch 2 is huge, since I remember the Pokémon company having small faith on the Switch, mostly because they thought the handheld business was done and Mobile would be the future.

This makes me comfortable hearing that they have faith in the Switch 2.
forever mad we never got a delfino plaza expansion. ugh.
Seems like a Mario Galaxy situation, in which the DLC became too big, they instead decided to make a brand new game.

Like having open world Mario game, similar to bowser fury sounds awesome.

Heck we might even see Delfina plaza in the next game.

the Pokémon company having small faith on the Switch, mostly because they thought the handheld business was done and Mobile would be the future.
TPC's president expressing his personal opinion that Switch wouldn't be a success =/= TPC not having faith on Switch.

It's not like it matters what TPC wants or thinks anyway. It's Game Freak and Nintendo that matter.

What is everyone expecting for the Ocarina of Time Switch release? Do you expect:

1) HD textures, and smoother framerate, better draw distances same geometry
2) Tomb Raider 1-3 remastered style, from the ground up custom HD textures, brand new lighting engine, 60fps, same geometry
3) 3DS remaster / Skyward Sword Style, high quality HD textures, better lighting, better effects, and better geometry while maintaining the original's art style, QOL changes
4) Metroid Prime Remastered, visual improvements so good it's boarding on a remake if it wasn't identical in terms of the gameplay and layout, QOL changes, 60fps
5) From the ground remake, keeps the artsytle of the original but the world is larger, pushes the Switch to its limits in terms of lighting, 30fps (Switch 2 60fps), rivals Luigi's Mansion 3 for best looking Switch game.
6) Something that looks like those "Ocarina of Time Unreal Engine demo" videos.

What is everyone expecting for the Ocarina of Time Switch release? Do you expect:

2) Tomb Raider 1-3 remastered style, from the ground up custom HD textures, brand new lighting engine, 60fps, same geometry
3) 3DS remaster / Skyward Sword Style, high quality HD textures, better lighting, better effects, and better geometry while maintaining the original's art style, QOL changes
4) Metroid Prime Remastered, visual improvements so good it's boarding on a remake if it wasn't identical in terms of the gameplay and layout, QOL changes, 60fps
5) From the ground remake, keeps the artsytle of the original but the world is larger, pushes the Switch to its limits in terms of lighting, 30fps (Switch 2 60fps), rivals Luigi's Mansion 3 for best looking Switch game.
Going with 4, because it is the best way that OOT can be rereleased on the Switch with all content from OOT3D.

If/when it happens, I'd guess probably 3 or 4, maybe something in between

more a thing for the general thread, not so much for this one:

Is it possible to add some current employee numbers to every subsidiary, if we got that information? Would be interessting to know how many people are working at these studios.
Camelot: 38, april 2024
NERD: 75, june 2023
1UP: 88, april2024
Grezzo: 91, april 2024
Good Feel: 131, january 2024
ND Cube: 132, 2022
SRD: 147, april2024
Intelligent Systems: 198, april 2024
Game Freak: 212, november 2023
Hal Laboratory: 215, june 2023
Creatures: 232, april 2023
Monolith Soft: 262, december 2023