• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Ok ive been wondering who are in the epd c team that dring was talking about do we know what the difference of the staff is from epd other team and their c team?

It's just a "I'm not owned" thing from Dring. It's the same people who made NSMB and Mario Maker.

If Dring had said "TotK is the second to last really big game for the Switch before the Switch 2 releases," he would not be arguing this.

Because Mario RPG, TTYD, and Peach are all cool, but aren't massive games. And there's probably nothing bigger than them launching before the Switch 2.

Switch 2 is going to follow the Switch 1 playbook and have an extensive lineup of games within its first 12 to 18 months. Titles I expect to see during this window:
  • New 3D Mario (EPD #8)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (Retro)
  • Mario Kart 9 (EPD #9)
  • New 2D Donkey Kong (EPD #8)
  • Action Game (Monolift Soft)
  • New 2D Zelda (Grezzo)
  • New Mario Party (ND Cube)
  • New Mario Sports Title (Camelot)
  • Ring Fit Adventure 2 (EPD #3)
  • Random Causal Title (EPD #3)
Those are just the obvious ones. I feel like Nintendo will want a couple games that really show off the new tech. Maybe that Monolith Soft action game will be that type of title. I really hope they do something bold & epic there as it’s going to be a long wait for the next 3D Zelda.

My current projections for next year are

January: Another Code
February: Mario vs. DK, some shadowdrop of a smaller game
March: Princess Peach
April: Not sure...
May: Wind Waker HD
June: Also not sure
July: Luigi's Mansion 2
August: TTYD Remake
September: Launch of Switch 2, 3D Mario Next (Switch 2 exclusive), new casual IP (Switch 2 exclusive)
October: Mario Party Next
November: Pokemon Legends Unova
December: Probably nothing

Then as an outline of after

Q1 2025: EPD Tokyo 2D platformer,
Q2 2025: Metroid Prime 4, Twilight Princess HD, ND Cube Clubhouse Games team next game
Q3 2025: Mario Kart Next (Switch 2 exclusive), Fire Emblem 4 Remake
Q4 2025: Pokemon Gen 10

Q1 2026: Kirby Forgotten Land 2,
Q2 2026: Animal Crossing Next (Switch 2 exclusive), something Mario Sports related
Q3 2026: Xenoblade Next (Switch 2 exclusive), RingFit 2, Metroid 6
Q4 2026: Luigi's Mansion 4 (Switch 2 exclusive)

The big question marks I have would be

1. I have no idea what Nintendo could release in Q2 2024, not much coming to mind
2. I would assume Nintendo tries to fund some third-party exclusives (like Mario+Rabbids or timed exclusive stuff like Octopath Traveler) to fill in the gaps for the Switch 2, but I'm not sure who is interested in being funded for a Switch 2 exclusive other than Namco and maybe Square?
3. I assume Nintendo will try to launch some new IPs and IP re-inventions, but it's hard to think of the dev studios that could do this. They have a lot of major sequels they need to release to ensure the Switch 2 is a success and that leaves them pretty limited resource wise.
You might want to slot in a Kirby game in 2024 and 2025 since Kirby is an annual release franchise. Q1 or early Q2 is always ripe for some Kirb.
Ok ive been wondering who are in the epd c team that dring was talking about do we know what the difference of the staff is from epd other team and their c team?
Erase that from your brain. There is no "c-team". This sort of thing doesn't exist. (imo ranked team labels should be banned like lazy dev rhetoric since the implied value judgment does nothing but foster bad discourse [even if unintended])

I'm assuming that Kirby spinoffs will be dramatically reduced in number after the closing of Vanpool.

We'll see.

It makes sense for Nintendo to potentially hire outside studios to do some spinoffs (mostly for Pokemon and Zelda, but others too), but it's hard to project who is available and interested.

• New 2D Zelda (Grezzo)
I wonder about this two. Grezzo is working on something original, so a 2d Zelda, if it exist, might take a backseat for a bit.

Assuming Switch 2 has BC, wouldnt it benefit Camelot to do something different (even if it is a sport title) early in the gen? Sure do a tennis game but at the middle of the gen, get some distance from Aces.

I wonder about this two. Grezzo is working on something original, so a 2d Zelda, if it exist, might take a backseat for a bit.

Assuming Switch 2 has BC, wouldnt it benefit Camelot to do something different (even if it is a sport title) early in the gen? Sure do a tennis game but at the middle of the gen, get some distance from Aces.
Emily did say Nintendo was still interested in Golden Sun. a new system launch would be the best time to put out a reboot

Switch 2 is going to follow the Switch 1 playbook and have an extensive lineup of games within its first 12 to 18 months. Titles I expect to see during this window:
  • New 3D Mario (EPD #8)
  • Mario Kart 9 (EPD #9)
  • New 2D Zelda (Grezzo)
Those are just the obvious ones. I feel like Nintendo will want a couple games that really show off the new tech. Maybe that Monolith Soft action game will be that type of title. I really hope they do something bold & epic there as it’s going to be a long wait for the next 3D Zelda.
What do we expect for Smash?

I think there's a decent chance Smash Ultimate is the "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe" of next gen. My understanding is they need to update Ultimate anyway to add in support for Sora amiibo, so if a team has already been reassembled to work on it in that capacity, maybe they're also working on a next-gen update that can come out fairly early in the Switch's life cycle.

That'd basically give them the a whole generation to figure out how they'll actually follow up on Ultimate.

Emily did say Nintendo was still interested in Golden Sun. a new system launch would be the best time to put out a reboot
"Interested in" =/= active development. Emily didn't imply that Golden Sun is guaranteed to come back nor that it is in the works; just that some staff at Nintendo have an interest in it.

Famicom Detective Club and Another Code are both key signs that, if the right developer is available, nothing is off the cards.

I think there's a decent chance Smash Ultimate is the "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe" of next gen. My understanding is they need to update Ultimate anyway to add in support for Sora amiibo, so if a team has already been reassembled to work on it in that capacity, maybe they're also working on a next-gen update that can come out fairly early in the Switch's life cycle.

That'd basically give them the a whole generation to figure out how they'll actually follow up on Ultimate.
It's going to have to be a significant upgrade. Not like mario kart.
Like change the singleplayer and modes entirely but keep all the characters.

Some EPD Project Leads to look out for. Though I should preface this with something EAD Ninja brought up a while ago, in that leads can go years without being credited due to prototypes/projects being re-tooled or scrapped. A director that has been absent for a while doesn't necessarily mean that they'll appear soon. A good example is Yoshikazu Yamashita, who was not credited on anything between Super Mario Maker (2015) and Nintendo Switch Sports (2022). We know now that the latter's development was essentially restarted at one point. Mobile games and those without defined endings (particularly for EPD 4, though they've gotten better about this lately) tend to be released with no credits, which can obscure things further.

Ryuichi Nakada - Director of Tetris 99 and Super Mario Bros. 35, which were both developed in collaboration with Arika. Nakada was not invovled with the recently released F-ZERO 99, so maybe he's working on another battle royale?

Tsubasa Sakaguchi - One of the directors for Splatoon 1 who then went to EPD 4 to create the Nintendo LABO series. His last known credit was for the LABO VR Kit in April 2019. He may have worked on Game Builder Garage as a Producer/Co-Producer, but even then, that was more than two years ago. Likely working on a new IP based on his trajectory.

Hiroshi Matsunaga - Director of Ring Fit Adventure, which released in October 2019. Also worked on Mario Kart Live as a Producer. I find it hard to believe that Nintendo will see the huge success of RFA and do nothing.

Kenta Kubo - Director of the Switch entries for Brain Training and Big Brain Academy, which were developed in collaboration with indieszero. Probably the hardest one to predict here. Indieszero has recently been busy with Theatrhythm and is potentially working on the Retro Game Challenge 1 + 2 remasters, so Kubo's next title may be something wholly internal or with another development partner. One thing of note is that Masami Yone and Takafumi Masaoka, known for their work on the Rhythm Heaven series, also worked on Big Brain Academy with Kubo. It isn't much to grasp onto, but maybe that series will finally make a return?

Aya Kyogoku - Known for her work on Animal Crossing. It's a no-brainer that she'll be involved with the next game, whether that be as a director or producer.

Yusuke Amano - His last directorial credit was Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion in July 2018 and presumably stayed on Splatoon 2 until the last major update almost exactly a year later. He was credited as the Planning Supervisor for Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which may imply that he's still a part of EPD 5. Now that Shiro Mouri is confirmed as the director of Super Mario Bros. Wonder, it's likely that Amano is heading a new project. I've also brought up in the past that producer Toshiharu Izuno has had no major credits since Late 2018, only two Special Thanks on New Horizons and Splatoon 3.

Takehiko Hosokawa / Fumi Hayashi - Director/Co-Director of Metroid: Samus Returns and vice versa for Metroid Dread. Almost definitely working with MercurySteam again on the next 2D Metroid.

Ryutaro Takahashi - Director of the Tomodachi series and Miitomo. The latter shut down in May 2018. With how well Tomodachi Life sold, I think there's a good chance we'll see another title in the future.

Kenta Motokura - Director of Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Odyssey. He could have also moved to a Producer/Co-Producer role. Not much else to say here.

Shinya Hiratake - Director of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Now, Hiratake could easily just be a level design lead on the next 3D Mario, but he seemingly directed the Switch ports of both Captain Toad and 3D World (and by extension, Bowser's Fury) in collaboration with NST. With NST's pipeline likely being full for a while with F-ZERO 99 and Mario vs. Donkey Kong, could Hiratake be the lead on EPD Tokyo's 2D Action Game?

Masaaki Ishikawa / Yusuke Shiraiwa - I've grouped these two together because I could see either one being in charge of the next Mario Kart game. Ishikawa is credited with Kosuke Yabuki under "Mario Kart Supervisor" in Mario Kart Live, while Shiraiwa is known to have worked on Mario Kart Tour. Regardless, with the Booster Course Pass wrapping up soon, the next title will be shown sooner or later.

Kenta Sato - One of three directors of ARMS. Unlike some of the known EPD 9 leads, Sato is not known to have worked on Mario Kart Tour. Nintendo actively wanted Min Min in Smash, which could mean that the IP will return in the future. Or he could just be a programming lead on Mario Kart.

Yugo Hayashi - With Tour no longer receiving any new content, Hayashi could potentially return to consoles. Perhaps a new Star Fox? Probably not.

Then there's whatever is going on with EPD 1. The group was being managed by Hitoshi Yamagami, but he completely disappeared from credits after Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX in March 2020 outside of Special Thanks. To make things even stranger, all of the known EPD 1 leads and series have been moved to EPD 2 (Kirby, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, etc.). Maybe we'll finally get an answer once new hardware drops, whenever that actually happens.

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe late 2026 because launch would have 3D Mario and hopefully Mario Kart with late 2025 likely having Pokemon Gen 10.

• New 3D Mario (EPD #8)
  • Mario Kart 9 (EPD #9)
  • New 2D Zelda (Grezzo)
I agree that most of those should happen for Switch 2 in the first 18 months. Would also like to add that we will likely get Pokemon Gen 10 in Holiday 2025, and it will likely be exclusive to Switch 2.

I didn't see much reporting on this..

Mario-kart-8-deluxe.jpg

Japan is getting a updated physical release with DLC for Mario Kart similar to Splatoon 2 & BOTW. It was announced at the end of the BCP trailer in the Japanese direct.

I guess that settles the debate on whether modern WarioWare counts as co-developed or not. A Wikipedia editor recently removed all Nintendo EPD mention on post-Gold Wario games it appears that was unfounded.
isnt tanabe producing those titles? epd6 dont have internal developers

"Interested in" =/= active development. Emily didn't imply that Golden Sun is guaranteed to come back nor that it is in the works; just that some staff at Nintendo have an interest in it.

Famicom Detective Club and Another Code are both key signs that, if the right developer is available, nothing is off the cards.
good thing I never said such.

Camelot and Nintendo has options if they want to rely on BC and not put out a Mario sports game so quickly. they're already putting out a number of them now, and something like Mario Party might take precedence

I didn't see much reporting on this..

Mario-kart-8-deluxe.jpg

Japan is getting a updated physical release with DLC for Mario Kart similar to Splatoon 2 & BOTW. It was announced at the end of the BCP trailer in the Japanese direct.
since it doesn't really have anything to do with first party development, this might serve more of a purpose in its own thread if it flew under the radar as you say

Then there's whatever is going on with EPD 1. The group was being managed by Hitoshi Yamagami, but he completely disappeared from credits after Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX in March 2020 outside of Special Thanks. To make things even stranger, all of the known EPD 1 leads and series have been moved to EPD 2 (Kirby, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, etc.). Maybe we'll finally get an answer once new hardware drops, whenever that actually happens.
re: underlined
I hadn't even thought of this until now amidst our EPD1 speculation a few months ago. But yea, their absence might actually tie into plans for the new hardware launch with some new project or projects specifically designed for whatever that is?!

this will problaby never happen, what if Nintendo suprise us with new franchise that is very adult oriented, made by it internal teams/subsidiaries, no Bayonetta dont count, Bayonetta is a Sega IP, they give the permission for Nintendo/Platinum Games to do Bayonetta 2/3

this will problaby never happen, what if Nintendo suprise us with new franchise that is very adult oriented, made by it internal teams/subsidiaries, no Bayonetta dont count, Bayonetta is a Sega IP, they give the permission for Nintendo/Platinum Games to do Bayonetta 2/3
it already happened before (Eternal Darkness, that violent Sandlot game on the Wii, and even Disaster Day of Crisis (talking about target audience here, not age ratings), so it'll probably happen again. just need a good pitch by the internal staff or external team

They do this every so often, but then they neglect to advertise it and it dies on the vine.

bring back MOTHER or just make a new franchise.

Mother is dead, they should just make a new franchise if they want another RPG series.

But they don't need another RPG series at all. It's probably the most prominent genre on the Switch other than indie 2D platformers and Metroidvanias.

Mother is dead, they should just make a new franchise if they want another RPG series.

But they don't need another RPG series at all. It's probably the most prominent genre on the Switch other than indie 2D platformers and Metroidvanias.
What Nintendo needs more than anything else is Action RPGs. We get plenty of regular RPGs. Action RPGs can be showcase titles and there isn't really one on Nintendo except Zelda but that's not really what we mean. Hopefully Monolith is making an ARPG version of Zelda or whatever was teased.

Some EPD Project Leads to look out for. Though I should preface this with something EAD Ninja brought up a while ago, in that leads can go years without being credited due to prototypes/projects being re-tooled or scrapped. A director that has been absent for a while doesn't necessarily mean that they'll appear soon. A good example is Yoshikazu Yamashita, who was not credited on anything between Super Mario Maker (2015) and Nintendo Switch Sports (2022). We know now that the latter's development was essentially restarted at one point. Mobile games and those without defined endings (particularly for EPD 4, though they've gotten better about this lately) tend to be released with no credits, which can obscure things further.

Tsubasa Sakaguchi - One of the directors for Splatoon 1 who then went to EPD 4 to create the Nintendo LABO series. His last known credit was for the LABO VR Kit in April 2019. He may have worked on Game Builder Garage as a Producer/Co-Producer, but even then, that was more than two years ago. Likely working on a new IP based on his trajectory.

Hiroshi Matsunaga - Director of Ring Fit Adventure, which released in October 2019. Also worked on Mario Kart Live as a Producer. I find it hard to believe that Nintendo will see the huge success of RFA and do nothing.

Kenta Kubo - Director of the Switch entries for Brain Training and Big Brain Academy, which were developed in collaboration with indieszero. Probably the hardest one to predict here. Indieszero has recently been busy with Theatrhythm and is potentially working on the Retro Game Challenge 1 + 2 remasters, so Kubo's next title may be something wholly internal or with another development partner. One thing of note is that Masami Yone and Takafumi Masaoka, known for their work on the Rhythm Heaven series, also worked on Big Brain Academy with Kubo. It isn't much to grasp onto, but maybe that series will finally make a return?

Aya Kyogoku - Known for her work on Animal Crossing. It's a no-brainer that she'll be involved with the next game, whether that be as a director or producer.

Yusuke Amano - His last directorial credit was Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion in July 2018 and presumably stayed on Splatoon 2 until the last major update almost exactly a year later. He was credited as the Planning Supervisor for Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which may imply that he's still a part of EPD 5. Now that Shiro Mouri is confirmed as the director Super Mario Bros. Wonder, it's likely that Amano is heading a new project. I've also brought up in the past that producer Toshiharu Izuno has had no major credits since Late 2018, only two Special Thanks on New Horizons and Splatoon 3.

Takehiko Hosokawa / Fumi Hayashi - Director/Co-Director of Metroid: Samus Returns and vice versa for Metroid Dread. Almost definitely working with MercurySteam again on the next 2D Metroid.

Ryutaro Takahashi - Director of the Tomodachi series and Miitomo. The latter shut down in May 2018. With how well Tomodachi Life sold, I think there's a good chance we'll see another title in the future.

Kenta Motokura - Director of Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Odyssey. He could have also moved to a Producer/Co-Producer role. Not much else to say here.

Shinya Hiratake - Director of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Now, Hiratake could easily just be a level design lead on the next 3D Mario, but he seemingly directed the Switch ports of both Captain Toad and 3D World (and by extension, Bowser's Fury) in collaboration with NST. With NST's pipeline likely being full for a while with F-ZERO 99 and Mario vs. Donkey Kong, could Hiratake be the lead on EPD Tokyo's 2D Action Game?

Masaaki Ishikawa / Yusuke Shiraiwa - I've grouped these two together because I could see either one being in charge of the next Mario Kart game. Ishikawa is credited with Kosuke Yabuki under "Mario Kart Supervisor" in Mario Kart Live, while Shiraiwa is known to have worked on Mario Kart Tour. Regardless, with the Booster Course Pass wrapping up soon, the next title will be shown sooner or later.

Kenta Sato - One of three directors of ARMS. Unlike some of the known EPD 9 leads, Sato is not known to have worked on Mario Kart Tour. Nintendo actively wanted Min Min in Smash, which could mean that the IP will return in the future. Or he could just be a programming lead on Mario Kart.

Yugo Hayashi - With Tour no longer receiving any new content, Hayashi could potentially return to consoles. Perhaps a new Star Fox? Probably not.

I wonder what happened with Yamagami. He simply disappeared of credits, did he leave nintendo?

Given the abysmal sales of the Mario Sports games compared to other Nintendo first party titles I think an extended development cycle for Camelot is long overdue, if Nintendo doesn't pay for the increased staff, they'll have to pay for a longer devcycle to prevent more mediocre games to be released.

Mario Golf Super Rush has a 71 on Opencritic, the same score as Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.

Given the abysmal sales of the Mario Sports games compared to other Nintendo first party titles I think an extended development cycle for Camelot is long overdue, if Nintendo doesn't pay for the increased staff, they'll have to pay for a longer devcycle to prevent more mediocre games to be released.

Mario Golf Super Rush has a 71 on Opencritic, the same score as Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
Abysmal seems kinda extreme. Golf and Strikers each sold about two and a half million, while Tennis sold about four and a half million.

Quality is a different conversation, but from a sales perspective they seem to be doing exactly what they're supposed to. The smaller scope and staff means they're likely comparatively cheap to make while still doing solid numbers. They can easily outsell games like Bayonetta or Metroid for a fraction of the production cost or dev time, regardless of metacritic/opencritic scores.

You could maybe argue a longer dev cycle would let them sell as well as Mario Party, but personally I just don't see it. I don't think there's really the audience these days to make a 10 million seller out of a Mario Sports game no matter how good it is.

My understanding is they need to update Ultimate anyway to add in support for Sora amiibo, so if a team has already been reassembled to work on it in that capacity, maybe they're also working on a next-gen update that can come out fairly early in the Switch's life cycle.
They wouldn’t need to reassemble a team for the Sora amiibo update. It’s literally just adding a tiny piece of code, and it’s likely that they already had a build of the game with support for a Sora amiibo ready to go before active development on the game ended, and Nintendo’s just been sitting on that build waiting until the Sora amiibo is finally released.

Plus, if I’m not mistaken, much of Ultimate’s development team has already moved on to working on Tekken now, right?

Sure compare to other nintendo franchises they arent mega sellers but all of them have sold 2 million+ and Aces is almost at 5 million. I think its safe to say that the ROI on these game is more than justifiable.

I do agree though that they should staff up, but since they arent own by nintendo, its on them. At the very least they should move in with nintendo. I think their buildings are not that far off

Mario Sports games have sold good enough for Nintendo. The problem is Camelot and Nintendo. Nintendo and their half assed sports games needs to stop

Golden Sun would be weird to bring back.

-Minimal history
-No defining features
-Dev is too small to make the game themselves
-Doesn't fill a gap for Nintendo (the Switch gets tons of RPGs)
The environmental puzzles were neat, nothing amazing. But the summoning's are, imo, way better than FF summons. You got a Chandelier Dragon (fantastic commercial) and Moloch a weird bear-dog that throws an ice beam lol. Also djinn equipping gave you a more dynamic job system with your base djinn still influencing your abilities.

Like a number of nintendo titles they can partner. As for filler, sure nintendo gets a ton of rpgs but why not one more lol.

Nintendo need to stop with the drip feed content they with Mario sport games, wait 4/6 months for a update that add content should have been on the game for the begining

The environmental puzzles were neat, nothing amazing. But the summoning's are, imo, way better than FF summons. You got a Chandelier Dragon (fantastic commercial) and Moloch a weird bear-dog that throws an ice beam lol. Also djinn equipping gave you a more dynamic job system with your base djinn still influencing your abilities.

Like a number of nintendo titles they can partner. As for filler, sure nintendo gets a ton of rpgs but why not one more lol.
Yeah golden sun is solid. The puzzles/environmental stuff sets it apart from other rpgs, including big name ones like final fantasy AND also gives it a nintendo feel. Just needs a bigger budget.

It kinda can be like Zelda in the overworld with JRPG battles with the right investment.

Last edited:
Given the abysmal sales of the Mario Sports games compared to other Nintendo first party titles I think an extended development cycle for Camelot is long overdue, if Nintendo doesn't pay for the increased staff.
Only way to increase staff is for the Takahashi brothers retire and sell to Nintendo. They're in their mid 60's now.

I do think one of the challenge of next gen for Nintendo will be to step up their Sports game offerings. You can't just rely on the same content-light releases again just because it's in HD on a cool new system. I mean you could, but I'm guessing the reception will start to nosedive quickly.

I just don't know if Camelot has the manpower to handle it. But at least they have made some good templates this generation, for instance Mario Tennis Aces is already very solid, they could use it as a base and go further from here (like Aces had Ultra Smash as a template).

I wonder what happened with Yamagami. He simply disappeared of credits, did he leave nintendo?
again we talked about this here a few months ago at length. nobody knows but there is no reason to assume someone of his position and status has retired without anyone knowing (we even asked john ricciardi from 8-4 on twitter if he had heard about him retiring or leaving the company and he didn't know anything).

New Mario Sports Title (Camelot)
I don't why there has to be another Mario sports titles when an update to the pair we already have would go further. The current cast of characters is still recent. Other than implementing mechanics that Nintendo isn't wanting in Mario Sports, Camelot can't really do much more with the series other than adding courses/courts and more characters, both of which can added via updates.

Here is a list of the games that I anticipated the most in recent years. Note that these are NOT my favourite games of each year, rather the ones I was hyped for the most. I'm only including games that were actually released in each given year (otherwise TotK would take up several years on this list!) Keep in mind that I've grown a lot since the earlier years on this list, so many of these are representative of my childhood tastes rather than what I'd think about it now.

2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2
2011: Super Mario 3D Land
2012: Pokémon Black Version 2 and White Version 2
2013: Super Mario 3D World
2014: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
2015: Super Mario Maker (are you noticing a trend?)
2016: Paper Mario: Color Splash
2017: Super Mario Odyssey
2018: Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
2019: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD
2020: Paper Mario: The Origami King
2021: Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania
2022: Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
2023: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2024 (as of writing): Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Here is a list of the games that I anticipated the most in recent years. Note that these are NOT my favourite games of each year, rather the ones I was hyped for the most. I'm only including games that were actually released in each given year (otherwise TotK would take up several years on this list!) Keep in mind that I've grown a lot since the earlier years on this list, so many of these are representative of my childhood tastes rather than what I'd think about it now.

2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2
2011: Super Mario 3D Land
2012: Pokémon Black Version 2 and White Version 2
2013: Super Mario 3D World
2014: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
2015: Super Mario Maker (are you noticing a trend?)
2016: Paper Mario: Color Splash
2017: Super Mario Odyssey
2018: Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
2019: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD
2020: Paper Mario: The Origami King
2021: Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania
2022: Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
2023: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2024 (as of writing): Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
I'm guessing you missed it somehow so here's the nintendo general thread where that kind of post is probably more fitting

I'm assuming that Kirby spinoffs will be dramatically reduced in number after the closing of Vanpool.

We'll see.

It makes sense for Nintendo to potentially hire outside studios to do some spinoffs (mostly for Pokemon and Zelda, but others too), but it's hard to project who is available and interested.
not exactly, Hal Laboratory can partner with another developer to keep making the spin-off Kirby games, before Hal Laboratory do next 2D/3D Kirby game

I'm guessing you missed it somehow so here's the nintendo general thread where that kind of post is probably more fitting

Whoops - figured this would be the place since it’s about software, but I seem to have missed the bit about “development” lol. Thanks for the heads-up!

Back
Top Bottom