• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Nintendo is not going to take resources away from 3D Mario to make Donkey Kong.
Each Nintendo building has a dev team that's not always clearly defined. They each have a masse working on multiple games at the same time in small groups, and those groups often change composition. It's not as impossible as you think it is.

Each Nintendo building is a dev team with no specific attribution for an entire dev cycle. They are each a masse working on multiple games at the same time in small groups, and those groups often change composition. It's not as impossible as you think it is.

Yeah, it definitely is as impossible as I think, they're not taking away resources from one of their six most important franchises to give more resources to Donkey Kong.

Yeah, it definitely is as impossible as I think, they're not taking away resources from one of their six most important franchises to give more resources to Donkey Kong.
I think with Donkey Kong this is more feasible considering the prominence of the character in their multimedia endeavors (film and theme park). Whether that’s a one-off or something that gets sustained really depends on whether such an experiment takes off.

I was planning to tweak it a bit more before posting it here; at least denoting Jump Rope Challenge and Pikmin 4 as using Unity and UE4 respectively; but I guess it’s fine as-is 😛

I would say Unity is worth making a section for since first-party EPD games were developed from it (Jump Rope Challenge, Super Mario Run, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, and Mario Kart Tour).

Also is there a list specifically for LunchPack1? Module System was initially being called LunckPack3 right?

Supporting the idea that EPD Tokyo would take back the IP and try do something special with it is the fact that the IP is very important. You are talking about the original IP that launched Nintendo world wide and Shigeru Miyamoto's career. Most importantly, with Donkey Kong's presence in the film and theme park, the company is likely to capitalize on the resurgence of the IP's notoriety.

Last edited:
they're already taking away resources for a 2D project according to their own recruitment they did back in 2020 tho 🤷‍♂️
without knowing how big their team is, how many people they recruited over the years and how many studios are assisting them through outsourcing you can't really make claims like that.

I don't think Nintendo would delay a 25m selling franchise to spend 8 years making a 2D platformer because mostly due to sentimental value when they have made one game in the franchise in 40 years.

The same Donkey Kong IP they're seemingly basing an entire theme park on? A theme park opening next year?

The same Donkey Kong that has its Country games hitting consistently the 5 million sales range (if not more!)

I don't think Nintendo would delay a 25m selling franchise to spend 8 years making a 2D platformer because mostly due to sentimental value when they have made one game in the franchise in 40 years.
Jungle Beat exists. And it was made by EPD Tokyo. Nintendo has tried to pick up DK when nobody had him in hand by the past (Miyamoto putting Rare then Retro on the case)

they're already taking away resources for a 2D project according to their own recruitment they did back in 2020 tho 🤷‍♂️
without knowing how big their team is, how many people they recruited over the years and how many studios are assisting them through outsourcing you can't really make claims like that.

Okay so I really hate it when people argue like this.

entut1 is trying to defend an obviously fake DK Vine rumor (as DK Vine has no real sources) that would imply Nintendo would spend 8+ years making a 2D DK platformer. They're trying to defend the rumor by arguing it's taking so long because instead of EPD Tokyo getting more resources, they split their resources in half.

Instead of just... Having more people to do two projects. Which is a lot more likely.

They're arguing this angle to defend DK Vine in particular just because DK Vine is convinced this is DK (instead of 5 or 6 other viable options as well), but the DK Vine specific rumor is obviously false, DK Vine does not have any credible leakers and Nintendo did not spend 8+ years making a 2D DK game.

Jumping into an argument between two people about a specific premise and then arguing a side point related to the discussion that ignores the premise being assumed... It's very frustrating and feels like attempts at point scoring then reading the discussion.

Last edited:
I would say Unity is worth making a section for since first-party EPD games were developed from it (Jump Rope Challenge, Super Mario Run, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, and Mario Kart Tour).

Also is there a list specifically for LunchPack1? Module System was initially being called LunckPack3 right?

I'm focused on Switch EPD productions here for now, but I could expand the scope to Wii U and mobile in the future. Would Miitomo and Dr. Mario World be the only EPD mobile titles to not use Unity?

The original LunchPack was first seen with Nintendo Land (the project name for the game itself being Lunch; it's as much an engine tech demo as it is a GamePad tech demo); and it was later used for Splatoon and Super Mario Maker. I believe that's the extent to the list? It was a slow adoption process; as I imagine pretty much all of the other notable EAD / SPD projects on Wii U were already well into production before Nintendo Land was finalised.

ModuleSystem was initially interpreted as an updated LunchPack2 yeah; that was the belief when Switch Sports and Splatoon 3 launched, but with TotK it was determined to be it's own thing.

"Development began" (as quoted in that NintendoLife article) is such a vague descriptor. It could have been languishing in concept phase for who knows how long. You don't really have to draw weird conclusions from it to dismiss the rumour lol.

Even if it could, a 2D platformer with the longest dev cycle in the history of 2D platformers (by a huge margin) is not going be the project that makes DK a 15m seller.
Did you know that Astral Chain began development before PlatinumGames was brought on to Nier: Automata, with concepts floating around 2014?

Did you know that Luigi's Mansion 3 began as a Wii U game?

Did you know Dread was in its conceptual phase during the DS era?

I don't care about defending the DK Vine rumor specifically, but "development began" doesn't mean much.

Nintendo is not going to take resources away from 3D Mario to make Donkey Kong.

The specific rumor I posted was just fanfic created by DK Vine.

EPD Tokyo's 2D platformer could be Donkey Kong.

Or another Mario game.

Or Wario Land.

Or Yoshi.

Or something else entirely.

Or cancelled.
So they’ll take 8 years to make a Yoshi or Wario Land, but not the much bigger IP in DK

Even if it could, a 2D platformer with the longest dev cycle in the history of 2D platformers (by a huge margin) is not going be the project that makes DK a 15m seller.
Surely it won't if you keep giving the franchise long hiatuses and give it games on failing consoles... DK was pretty huge in the 90s, to the point the N64, a failing console, could still take 5 millions out of it. After Rare and the IP didn't get a new Country game until a decade later, then got its follow-up on the worst console flop of Nintendo's history (Virtual Boy put aside). It still made on that last game over 5 millions with time and a re-release. So yeah, I'm thinking somebody could get DK a 15m seller just like Rare made DKC a near 10m seller, 30 years ago. And EPD Tokyo as it is now is certainly up to the task if you give it some time.

Did you know that Astral Chain began development before PlatinumGames was brought on to Nier: Automata, with concepts floating around 2014?

Did you know that Luigi's Mansion 3 began as a Wii U game?

Did you know Dread was in its conceptual phase during the DS era?

I don't care about defending the DK Vine rumor specifically, but "development began" doesn't mean much.

Yes, it's perfectly reasonable for games to take 8-12 years if you count the time that's just 1-5 people thinking out the game. But this brings me back to the point I made in an earlier post

Yeah, a 3D Mario game taking 8 years is massively more reasonable than a 2D DK game taking that long.

The next 3D Mario should be expected to sell 25m copies and sell tons of hardware.

The next DK should be expected to sell 6m copies and not really sell much hardware.

Unless "development" here means like 3 people prototyping (but then how would it leak?)

DK Vine getting information on an early in development (as it would surely have to be as of 2021) DK game from EPD Tokyo makes little sense in general as DK Vine seems mostly like a NA+Europe fansite, but it especially doesn't make sense that they would be able to get knowledge on when prototyping started when there are so few people that could leak.

Yes, it's perfectly reasonable for games to take 8-12 years if you count the time that's just 1-5 people thinking out the game. But this brings me back to the point I made in an earlier post

DK Vine getting information on an early in development (as it would surely have to be as of 2021) DK game from EPD Tokyo makes little sense in general as DK Vine seems mostly like a NA+Europe fansite, but it especially doesn't make sense that they would be able to get knowledge on when prototyping started when there are so few people that could leak.
I can't take any argument seriously that says DK isn't big enough. DK was the second most consistent selling platformer series of all time when it was active, and even with just a port it arguably still is. When you have Kirby, a franchise that usually relies more on merchandise than game sales, selling like a DK game without a theme park and movie appearance, thinking that a 2D DK game would only sell 6m at best is insane. It's especially funny when you've already said that the next EPD game could be Wario Land or Yoshi.

Besides that, you've moved the goal post. Originally you were saying that the DK Vine rumor was wrong because 8 years is too much, now you're admitting it might have been in the conceptual phases for a few years but that DK Vine would have no tangible way of getting this information. This is true of all rumors - they are all based on information that would be incredibly hard to get and likely wrong. Again, no one is interested in blindly following the DK Vine rumor. But your arguments that DK couldn't have started 7 years ago aren't compelling, which you've basically admitted at this point. You're now arguing that DK Vine is wrong, but not that DK could be in development, which is an argument I have no interest in.

that would imply Nintendo would spend 8+ years making a 2D DK platformer.
I think it's weird you keep going hard on this. This timespan isn't as important as you think. Even if we don't count covid (which was a huge disrupter), many many games can last years and years because development can go through many changes and phases. So much so it makes your head spin. They could have started doing concepts and whatnot in 2018, but then decide they needed to shift to something else the next year. And then another direction the year after that. Especially since we know now from Wonder that Nintendo does allow for this less restrictive development environment.

You're now arguing that DK Vine is wrong, but not that DK could be in development, which is an argument I have no interest in.

This is what I have been arguing the entire time though.

This game could be DK (though I would guess co-development on Mario Wonder instead at this point)

But there are no credible rumors about DK.

You could argue DK is more likely than Yoshi and Wario Land and I would agree, but none are that incredibly likely and the rumors just aren't very credible. It feels like people jumping on the 2020 job postings to write fanfic.

This game could be DK (though I would guess co-development on Mario Wonder instead at this point)

But there are no credible rumors about DK.

You could argue DK is more likely than Yoshi and Wario Land and I would agree, but none are that incredibly likely and the rumors just aren't very credible. It feels like people jumping on the 2020 job postings to write fanfic.

Yes there is. You just want to ignore it.

I know that was what you were arguing originally. And I don't think your original arguments were wrong in some sense. But along the way as you explained your viewpoint more, some arguments came up that were pretty bad - ala the timeline, DK not being big enough, etc.

You started initially saying it could be anything and that DK Vine might be wrong, which is fine. The arguments you made to back that up weren't. It is what it is. I don't have any love for rumors in general. It is also inherently obvious that rumors may be wrong.

I was arguing DK wasn't big enough to take resources away from 3D Mario (it isn't, they would just hire more people instead of cutting people off 3D Mario as that makes no sense to do) and wouldn't have 8 full years of development (as that makes no sense for any 2D platformer, but especially one that isn't Mario) as both came up in relation to justifying the DK Vine rumor.

For the 2021 leaks (exclusively reported by US and European sources) to be correct, a 2D DK game at EPD Tokyo would have been deep into development and have had tons of people working on it (so that it was leaking to even random people like DK Vine)... And then be nowhere close to done 2.5 years later.

It just doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
The same Donkey Kong IP they're seemingly basing an entire theme park on? A theme park opening next year?

The same Donkey Kong that has its Country games hitting consistently the 5 million sales range (if not more!)

well well 64 didn't sell too bad either. Guess as long as it has the Donkey Kong name it's pretty strong.

@MondoMega created an updated EPD engine table. The games with question marks in the corner of their game icon means that it's speculated to use the engine it's placed in.
Nintendo_Engines.png
So the "other" section exist because those games dont have engines known?

Some of the "other" section uses known third-party engines (for example, Pikmin 4 is Unreal, and I think Jump Rope Challenge is Unity), while others are proprietary in-house engines that may or may not have known names. Metroid Dread for example uses MercurySteam's own Mercury engine.

Other in this case really just means "not worth making a new category for". It's a grab bag of both "the engine isn't known/named or is specific to this game" and "the number of Nintendo games using this engine isn't enough to warrant it's own category".

Updated with some feedback and other adjustments I intended to make earlier:

INNmhBI.png

• Added the three original LunchPack games from Wii U (and renamed that row accordingly). "v1" and "v2" aren't terminolgy actually used internally (to our knowledge), but it's the simplest way to get across that distinction with shorthand.
  • In a similar vein, added the pre-Switch ActionLibrary games. There's a little bit of subjectivity to this one, since 3D Land was built off Galaxy, and Galaxy was built off Sunshine, but 3D Land is where the first reference to 'al' originates so that's where i'm making the split. Not planning to cover every 3DS and Wii U EAD/SPD project (because it'd really just fluff up the misc section), so treat these as special exceptions.
  • Split the 'Other' category into more clearly defined Proprietary and Licenced sections, and added EPD's mobile projects to fill out the latter.
Any explanation of notable things about each engine anyways? Otherwise it seems kinda useless to know. Interesting though.

We're never going to know too much (beyond what i've already described in this post and above) about the majority of these. Unlike HAL or Retro there's rarely been public talks about EPD's tools; that's why I personally find them interesting to track though, because there's so little to find. NintendoWare Bezel Engine is the exception, since it was made to be used by third-party developers (though doesn't seem to have particularly caught on) and as such is avaialble to devs. I'm tracking non-EPD first-party (or associated, in Pac-Man 99's case) uses for Bezel due to that purpose; as otherwise the image is focused on EPD.

Blackthorn explained it perfectly, but I hope the split in the updated version makes it a bit clearer! The Proprietary row is now a mix of identified engines with no known name and/or used in a insignificant amount of Switch titles (BotW, Mario Kart, the Wii U ports); engines from the studios they collaborated with (Link's Awakening, Dread); and the remaining batch of games unknown for one reason or another.

Somethig i thought before but never have said and i remembered now but... where the heck koizumi have been in this gen? he was only producer in Odyssey and The stretchers and nothing else lol
whispers…the next 3D Mario (and DK) game.

whispers again…his name is in the credits to Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury

what comes to mind:
  • the mario movie or the theme park
  • either of epd 8's projects
whispers…the next 3D Mario (and DK) game.

whispers again…his name is in the credits to Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury
well yeah, but in the 7 years of switch having just two titles is so weird. Like others are general producer at least but not even that he is, hes barely credited outside of special thanks so it seems hes not that involved maybe except for management of EPD as deputy general manager

well yeah, but in the 7 years of switch having just two titles is so weird. Like others are general producer at least but not even that he is, hes barely credited outside of special thanks so it seems hes not that involved maybe except for management of EPD as deputy general manager
I mean he worked on hardware for Switch also. I don’t find it weird when what he does hasn’t shown up, then neither will his name.

This one we can rule out pretty easily now, thanks to the copyright info for the games featured this time.

WarioWare:

4cnHNPg.png
I guess that settles the debate on whether modern WarioWare counts as co-developed or not. A Wikipedia editor recently removed all Nintendo EPD mention on post-Gold Wario games it appears that was unfounded.

Somethig i thought before but never have said and i remembered now but... where the heck koizumi have been in this gen? he was only producer in Odyssey and The stretchers and nothing else lol
He's moving up to a more executive role I think. As now he's also a company director at Nintendo Pictures.

He's also no longer being the regular direct host. So I guess he just got too busy.

He's moving up to a more executive role I think. As now he's also a company director at Nintendo Pictures.

He's also no longer being the regular direct host. So I guess he just got too busy.
Koizumi only popped in for special occasion-Directs anyway. Shinya Takahashi as general EPD overlord was always THE main host. Koizumi would show up for E3-adjacent Directs.
edit for self-correction: I double checked and they actually trade hosting roles and then host the E3/Summer Direct together.

Last edited:
My current projections for next year are

January: Another Code
February: Mario vs. DK, some shadowdrop of a smaller game
March: Princess Peach
April: Not sure...
May: Wind Waker HD
June: Also not sure
July: Luigi's Mansion 2
August: TTYD Remake
September: Launch of Switch 2, 3D Mario Next (Switch 2 exclusive), new casual IP (Switch 2 exclusive)
October: Mario Party Next
November: Pokemon Legends Unova
December: Probably nothing

Then as an outline of after

Q1 2025: EPD Tokyo 2D platformer,
Q2 2025: Metroid Prime 4, Twilight Princess HD, ND Cube Clubhouse Games team next game
Q3 2025: Mario Kart Next (Switch 2 exclusive), Fire Emblem 4 Remake
Q4 2025: Pokemon Gen 10

Q1 2026: Kirby Forgotten Land 2,
Q2 2026: Animal Crossing Next (Switch 2 exclusive), something Mario Sports related
Q3 2026: Xenoblade Next (Switch 2 exclusive), RingFit 2, Metroid 6
Q4 2026: Luigi's Mansion 4 (Switch 2 exclusive)

The big question marks I have would be

1. I have no idea what Nintendo could release in Q2 2024, not much coming to mind
2. I would assume Nintendo tries to fund some third-party exclusives (like Mario+Rabbids or timed exclusive stuff like Octopath Traveler) to fill in the gaps for the Switch 2, but I'm not sure who is interested in being funded for a Switch 2 exclusive other than Namco and maybe Square?
3. I assume Nintendo will try to launch some new IPs and IP re-inventions, but it's hard to think of the dev studios that could do this. They have a lot of major sequels they need to release to ensure the Switch 2 is a success and that leaves them pretty limited resource wise.

My current projections for next year are

January: Another Code
February: Mario vs. DK, some shadowdrop of a smaller game
March: Princess Peach
April: Not sure...
May: Wind Waker HD
June: Also not sure
July: Luigi's Mansion 2
August: TTYD Remake
September: Launch of Switch 2, 3D Mario Next (Switch 2 exclusive), new casual IP (Switch 2 exclusive)
October: Mario Party Next
November: Pokemon Legends Unova
December: Probably nothing

Then as an outline of after

Q1 2025: EPD Tokyo 2D platformer,
Q2 2025: Metroid Prime 4, Twilight Princess HD, ND Cube Clubhouse Games team next game
Q3 2025: Mario Kart Next (Switch 2 exclusive), Fire Emblem 4 Remake
Q4 2025: Pokemon Gen 10

Q1 2026: Kirby Forgotten Land 2,
Q2 2026: Animal Crossing Next (Switch 2 exclusive), something Mario Sports related
Q3 2026: Xenoblade Next (Switch 2 exclusive), RingFit 2, Metroid 6
Q4 2026: Luigi's Mansion 4 (Switch 2 exclusive)

The big question marks I have would be

1. I have no idea what Nintendo could release in Q2 2024, not much coming to mind
2. I would assume Nintendo tries to fund some third-party exclusives (like Mario+Rabbids or timed exclusive stuff like Octopath Traveler) to fill in the gaps for the Switch 2, but I'm not sure who is interested in being funded for a Switch 2 exclusive other than Namco and maybe Square?
3. I assume Nintendo will try to launch some new IPs and IP re-inventions, but it's hard to think of the dev studios that could do this. They have a lot of major sequels they need to release to ensure the Switch 2 is a success and that leaves them pretty limited resource wise.
I think that epd 8 2d platformer is a new ip. Not only because all the 2d platformer ips already have someone who could make a new one that isn't epd 8, but because Nintendo said in 2021 that they're focusing on original ips, likely refering to switch 2 Games:https://www.thegamer.com/nintendo-original-ip-switch-updates/

Last edited:
I do wonder if the whole unity fiasco is going to make Nintendo once again suspcious of outside engines
They have custom deals for any 3rd party engine they use, it doesnt affect them. For example do you think Nintendo is giving 5% of Pikmin 4 revenue to Epic? That's 3M per every million the game sells

I do wonder if the whole unity fiasco is going to make Nintendo once again suspcious of outside engines
no, because that's ridiculous given how the development process is. big companies will strong-arm Unity into deals that make them exempt. if Unity doesn't allow that, there are plenty of options including bolstering Godot and W4

Ok ive been wondering who are in the epd c team that dring was talking about do we know what the difference of the staff is from epd other team and their c team?
I think the idea is that EPD10 may have a higher number of younger staff than other divisions, if we wish to entertain the "C-Team" claim at all.

Back
Top Bottom