• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

This one we can rule out pretty easily now, thanks to the copyright info for the games featured this time.

WarioWare:

4cnHNPg.png

Paper Mario:

cAmUdy4.png

Peach Showtime:

xJVjw1y.png

Now, if we're interpreting things from the copyright text, then it may not actually be Good-Feel either? The exact format has differed over the years but the one consistency for their titles has been listing the year:

That could easily change so I wouldn't take it as a definitive confirmation it isn't them, but the more they advertise their new game being featured in Directs without acknowledging Peach, the more skeptical I am of it being them. Starting to consider that it might just actually be an EPD project by this process of elimination; either that or a studio outside of their regular collaborator pool.
Could this be a point in favor of Peach being Next Level? Looks like the copyright text for Mario Strikers Battle League is just Nintendo.

This one we can rule out pretty easily now, thanks to the copyright info for the games featured this time.

WarioWare:

4cnHNPg.png

Paper Mario:

cAmUdy4.png

Peach Showtime:

xJVjw1y.png

Now, if we're interpreting things from the copyright text, then it may not actually be Good-Feel either? The exact format has differed over the years but the one consistency for their titles has been listing the year:

That could easily change so I wouldn't take it as a definitive confirmation it isn't them, but the more they advertise their new game being featured in Directs without acknowledging Peach, the more skeptical I am of it being them. Starting to consider that it might just actually be an EPD project by this process of elimination; either that or a studio outside of their regular collaborator pool.
how are internal companies listed like Retro and Next Level?

Only Monolith Soft gets credited even for pre-acquisition NLG games of the internal studios. They also don’t credit sometimes even when they don’t own the developer like in Advanced Wars or Metroid Dread cases

Retro and Next Level are actually pretty decent evidence for Good-Feel still being in play. Their titles used to include the year, going into the Switch generation, but as of Prime Remastered and Battle League respectively they no longer do:

© 2002 Nintendo | © 2002,2003 Nintendo
© 2004 Nintendo | © 2004-2005 Nintendo
© 2007 Nintendo | © 2007-2008 Nintendo
© 2002–2009 Nintendo
© 2010 Nintendo
© 2014 Nintendo
© 2018 Nintendo
© Nintendo
© 2005 Nintendo
© 2007 Nintendo
© 2009 Nintendo
© 2013 Nintendo
© 2016 Nintendo
© 2019 Nintendo
©Nintendo

EDIT: Battle League is officially formatted without a space, needed to update that for accuracy (as much as the inconsistency gets on my nerves). Just to note as well, the double-ups on the original Prime Trilogy are for the Japanese releases, as they consistently ended up delayed into the next year.

Last edited:
Good Feel would make total sense, but I thought they were heavily busy with their own projects, plus the Switch 2 will obviously need its own Yoshi game?

If Peach is NLG, which would be great, then who took care of LM2 HD? Grezzo? I could see them doing Mario RPG HD. I can't wait to find out.
Grezzo probably makes the most sense imo.

They've got experience with both doing a Luigi's Mansion remaster (LM1 3DS) and putting 3DS games on Switch (Miitopia), so it'd make sense if they were the ones remastering the 3DS Luigi's Mansion for Switch.

LM2 seems more like a supervised project from NLG than a full dedicated team. Grezzo for the peach game seems interesting because outside of LM 3ds port they haven't done any Mario-related projects.

I want to believe NdCube is behind it, break away from the Mario Party mines lol. But who am I kidding, they are probably doing one for the first year of the next console.

Good Feel would make total sense, but I thought they were heavily busy with their own projects, plus the Switch 2 will obviously need its own Yoshi game?
That Goemon-like has been in development for a long time at this point, and wouldn't need their complete focus anyway, so I'm thinking it was a fairly small team behind that one just plugging away for a while.

And if this is Good-Feel, they'd presumably still be able to get a Yoshi game out sometime mid-lifespan, even if on the back 9. Not like Yoshi needs to be an early title.

If we're doing the whole "date in the copyright" as a tell thing, then Luigi's Mansion 2 HD has to be an internal project, since it uses © Nintendo. Meaning it's probably a Next Level Games project. It's a remake as opposed to a wholly original game, so the turnaround time being quicker than their usual three years between releases feels plausible.

Good-Feel's original games are made by a different team in a different location to their contracted games. That's one reason why they're still potentially the developer behind Peach. As for Yoshi in the next few years, there's a Yoshi game from Wii U/3DS that could yet get a Switch version. The 3DS release is nearly 7 years old at this point, which is plenty of time before introducing it to the market again.

One question I've always had with this game is who proposed it? Who wanted to make it happen? And that's something that for me still leaves EPD in play, though perhaps an EPD title which has heavy external assistance or co-development.

Such an idea feels very Koizumi to me, especielly considering his relative implication in the Mario Movie but maybe I'm totally wrong.

while possible I'm still a bit doubtful it's NLG because this doesn't quite look like their typical style of animations with pretty exagarated squash and stretch which you tend to see more from western studios when tackling that kind of games.

Leaning towards Good Feel because it feels like the kind of game they'd design and while it would be like a big step up from their 2D games so far, it'd explain why we haven't heard from them in a long time besides their Goemon inspired game which is from their Osaka office supposedly :

Ebisu-san reveals that Good-Feel is expanding by creating an Osaka office, and claims that people in Osaka are generally more "comical"; the company's next original title is being developed from this office.

The game in question – which is in the 'action' genre and is targeting launch on Switch – doesn't have an official title as yet and is only shown via storyboards and concept artwork, but we're getting major Goemon vibes from what's been shown, which isn't a shock given that Ebisu-san worked on that series while he was at Konami.

If the game turns out to be on Unreal 4 it'd definitely seal the deal for me.

At the first reveal of Showtime back in June, something about the lighting made me wonder for a second if it might be NLG, but everything else was really pushing towards thinking it might be Good Feel. After seeing the extremely flat and unexpressive faces on the Toads in the Showtime cutscene at this direct, I feel like it's almost impossible for it to be NLG. It just seems so static compared to any of their other work.

If we're doing the whole "date in the copyright" as a tell thing, then Luigi's Mansion 2 HD has to be an internal project, since it uses © Nintendo. Meaning it's probably a Next Level Games project.

I didn't think internal vs external was the implication of my copyright deep dive; Retro have been a Nintendo studio from the start and Prime Remastered is their first game to drop that copyright format. What I thought was just a Good-Feel thing at first is just a general change to how Nintendo write this out for every project, internal or otherwise (starting from Miitopia; Get it Together being a sole exception afterwards which threw me off).

Its goodfeel

Find anything on them or just taking a shot at guesssing?

I didn't think internal vs external was the implication of my copyright deep dive; Retro have been a Nintendo studio from the start and Prime Remastered is their first game to drop that copyright format. What I thought was just a Good-Feel thing at first is just a general change to how Nintendo write this out for every project, internal or otherwise (starting from Miitopia; Get it Together being a sole exception afterwards which threw me off).

Find anything on them or just taking a shot at guesssing?
Just a guess by elimination

Isn't it possible Peach was internally made?
Sure, but it seems unlikely? Everyone that hasn't released anything in the past two years have other projects that are far more likely than Princess Peach Showtime. Nd Cube could be the developer, but 99% chance they're sticking to their usual wheelhouse and making the next Mario Party or a different party game. EPD Tokyo has 3D Mario and a 2D game to worry about, and I don't think Princess Peach Showtime really counts as the latter; EPD7 doesn't touch the Super Mario series, and even if they did, they're most likely working on Metroid 6 with MercurySteam and some other smaller projects instead. And then there's Next Level Games, which would have been my go-to, but the turnaround time feels too quick given the studio's size.

Has Metroid Prime 4 always been absent from Nintendo’s website?
As far as I know, yes. The official Metroid site jumped straight from 100% Federation Force to 100% Samus Returns, and the browser eShop never had it in the "Coming Soon" section since it didn't have a release window.

As far as I know, yes. The official Metroid site jumped straight from 100% Federation Force to 100% Samus Returns, and the browser eShop never had it in the "Coming Soon" section since it didn't have a release window.

Ahh okay. Thanks! Went on there to see Paper Mario: TTYD listing and thought to search for Metroid Prime 4 out of curiosity and it was nowhere to be found.

I think people shouldn't be dismissive of the possibility of EPD Tokyo's 2D Action game being Peach, the timing lines up and while the job postings are real, the idea that they were working on DK has always just been a rumor. Imho the Peach game also has a distinct resemblance to 3D World and Captain Toad.

Also my 2 cents on LM2HD, Next Level hired a lot of folks in the past few years, having them handle a port job to get accustomed with the engine while the rest of the team worked on Strikers/Pre-production of LM4 seems the safest bet.

I think people shouldn't be dismissive of the possibility of EPD Tokyo's 2D Action game being Peach, the timing lines up and while the job postings are real, the idea that they were working on DK has always just been a rumor. Imho the Peach game also has a distinct resemblance to 3D World and Captain Toad.

Also my 2 cents on LM2HD, Next Level hired a lot of folks in the past few years, having them handle a port job to get accustomed with the engine while the rest of the team worked on Strikers/Pre-production of LM4 seems the safest bet.
It's also possible that some 3DS ports could be realized by a dedicated porting team, in the same way as we saw NERD take care of the ports of Pikmin 1 and 2.

I agree with you about the plausibility of the EPD Tokyo possibility, but I want to be wrong and for it to be Good Feel, because I want the Donkey Kong rumor to be true.

This whole DK rumor only exists because of - and emerged alongside - EPD Tokyo's 2D Action game job postings and the knowledge that Retro is fully tapped with their work on Metroid Prime again. I have absolutely zero faith in any of these completely unfounded claims with zero credibility to back it up. But whenever we do get another DK game, they'll surely say "ha, thought this would have come out sooner but here it is guys, just as we said!".

Call me surprised that Side Order will release as late as Spring 2024 (March with a new season). It seems like the development really begun when Splatoon 3 shipped, and some members likely went to work on different projects. But again according to datamining the Side Order was targeting Season 5 (this September), then Season 6 (December) and the latest update was Season 7 which was kinda confirmed yesterday. It was likely delayed at least one.
Side Order was always "by the end of 2024". I'd be careful reading stuff like planned release dates into datamined info. If those tie-ins changed with updates, it could simply have been tied to whatever the latest one was. Their public facing target window was set on 2024 from the jump.
I will say that the end of life strategy from Nintendo is here is mildly obnoxious. Graphical remakes for a system in its 6th and 7th years feel weird.

Prime Remastered
Mario RPG
TTYD

Are all big effort graphical remakes that would have been a lot better on Switch 2. The timing is weird.

Do like the stuff like Princess Peach and F-Zero 99, that's perfect end of life stuff in being smallish but really interesting.
What would MP R, Mario RPG, TTYD have gained from stronger hardware other than mild res bumps (while leaving the late lifecycle Switch without some heavy hitter nostalgia bangers)?
Insiders like Emily and such said that Nintendo most likely would focus on remakes/remasters at the end of Switch's life to save most of the new stuff for the next system so I don't know why anyone should be surprised.

About NST and F-Zero 99, I do hope they gain enough experience to someday make a new entry or at least work on the GX remaster (although I don't really like the series and would vastly prefer a Captain Falcon action game).
I don't see how making F-Zero 99 would give them any kind of experience that is transferable to making a new F-Zero or even a GX remaster
It's a remaster just like Prime 1 HD and probably LM2HD
this is ludicrous. Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is the most traditional, old-school version of a remaster that is just an up-res of the original game while Metroid Prime despite the terrible name is a complete visual remake up to the highest possible modern standards on the platform.

There's a reason why Nintendo called Metroid Prime Remasters and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD, but drop the subtitles for Wii U ports and actual remakes as of late. (with some exceptions)

I don't mind at all that not all remasters are as wonderful as Prime Remastered. If 3DS games like Kid Icarus Uprsing or Metroid 2 remake could have a so-called lazy port to Switch, I'd be the happiest person on Earth.

The games that least need 60 fps are turn based rpg games like TTYD and Mario RPG. I get wanting the next 3D Zelda game 60 fps, but for some games 60 fps is very much a nice bonus but not very needed for the game experience.

I don't think calling Luigi Mansion 2 HD an upresed port is entirely fair eveen if it's unimpressive looking so far, it just seems very work in progress which was the case for Luigi Mansion 3 early trailers. I'm hopeful if it's indeed NLG that they might improve it the look further by the time it releases.

Anyway I'm still not sure Princess Peach Showtime qualify as a 2D game by any standards especially looking at the latest trailer so it's definitely not the EPD Tokyo project in my book.

There's a reason why Nintendo called Metroid Prime Remasters and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD, but drop the subtitles for Wii U ports and actual remakes as of late. (with some exceptions)
The reason being to spite me personally with annoying subtitles.

I don't think calling Luigi Mansion 2 HD an upresed port is entirely fair even if it's unimpressive looking so far, it just seems very work in progress which was the case for Luigi Mansion 3 early trailers. I'm hopeful if it's indeed NLG that they might improve it the look further by the time it releases.

idk, after looking at that video I'm even firmer on that than before :D

higher display res (obvious for a 3DS->HD thing of course) and all the in-game models and effects are rendered at a much higher resolution. I'm sure they maybe swapped out some models and here and there have a higher polycount version of the same asset or it might just be the actual original assets as they were before they crammed them into a 3DS.

idk, after looking at that video I'm even firmer on that than before :D

higher display res (obvious for a 3DS->HD thing of course) and all the in-game models and effects are rendered at a much higher resolution. I'm sure they maybe swapped out some models and here and there have a higher polycount version of the same asset or it might just be the actual original assets as they were before they crammed them into a 3DS.
Luigi himself is an entirely new model and most of the props in the backgrounds have been smoothed or replaced. You can just look at any given scene to do that. You don't need to dismiss the work done to still think it doesn't look great especially in comparison to Luigi Mansion 3.

Luigi himself is an entirely new model and most of the props in the backgrounds have been smoothed or replaced. You can just look at any given scene to do that. You don't need to dismiss the work done to still think it doesn't look great especially in comparison to Luigi Mansion 3.
I'm not dismissing any work. I'm saying these are the same source models just at their original/higher fidelity. Is Luigi a new model or just his Luigi 3 model? What I'm saying is I'm not seeing anything where they're re-doing any assets, just using higher fidelity (presumably the original ones) renders of them since you're not making models and textures at 3DS-resolution during dev.

I don't think you would bother NLG with LM2HD unless it was a true big boy remake. They are probably consulting on it with Grezzo taking the lead.

Princess Peach can not possibly be Good Feel because I want a new Wario Land and a port of Shake Dinension.

I don't think calling Luigi Mansion 2 HD an upresed port is entirely fair eveen if it's unimpressive looking so far, it just seems very work in progress which was the case for Luigi Mansion 3 early trailers. I'm hopeful if it's indeed NLG that they might improve it the look further by the time it releases.

Anyway I'm still not sure Princess Peach Showtime qualify as a 2D game by any standards especially looking at the latest trailer so it's definitely not the EPD Tokyo project in my book.

agreed, LM3 looked significantly worse in its reveal trailer in 2018, LM2HD has almost a full year before it is released since it's coming next Summer.

I'm not dismissing any work. I'm saying these are the same source models just at their original/higher fidelity. Is Luigi a new model or just his Luigi 3 model? What I'm saying is I'm not seeing anything where they're re-doing any assets, just using higher fidelity (presumably the original ones) renders of them since you're not making models and textures at 3DS-resolution during dev.
there are also new assets placed here in there so again I don't even know what's the point of contention is at this point since I said the work done goes beyond an upresed 3DS port which it factually is true. Reusing existing higher definition assets doesn't change that.

LM2 getting a LM3-level facelift would be pretty bonkers but I'm not really sure the game needs nor "deserves" it. I was honestly surprised that they're bothering with it at all but I guess the sales of the original justified it for them.

Nate heard about the DK game. I think he’s pretty reliable.
Also to note he also heard about a Paper Mario game being remade (that game turned out to be TTYD as the previous rumors said (shout-out to that Fami poster with a Olimar pfp btw! Must have done crazy detective work to be able to get this info 5 months early!))

I don't remember: I know Nate collaborated the DK rumours, but was it just that he knows of a DK project, or that he knows of a DK project at EPD Tokyo? If the latter, then that's a lock for Good-Feel probably. But if it's the former, then we could have another F-Zero situation where the DK game was really Mario vs. Donkey Kong, leaving things open for EPD to be the ones to be doing the Peach game.

Back
Top Bottom