• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

For Next Level I'm expecting Luigi's Mansion 4 by late 2023. Maybe they surprised us with an IP revival in a new genre(Kid Icarus? F-Zero?).

I think it's rather unlikely NLG will work in 3 Luigi's Mansion in a row, plus the DLC.

My guess is a new Strikers. It's been too long and I feel the potential is huge (not to mention the growth of soccer in the US.

My guess is a new Strikers. It's been too long and I feel the potential is huge (not to mention the growth of soccer in the US.
Mario is gonna lose the edge and that makes the IP way less valuable IMO.

NLG is probably working on a different Nintendo IP (probably a reimagining) or a new IP before going into LM4

I can see if NLG knows Nintendo isn’t going to let Mario Strikers be Mario Strikers then they’ll work on either a new IP or another Nintendo franchise. Nintendo isn’t going to turn NLG isn’t a Luigi’s Mansion factory. LM4 will come later. They will have a different title prior to that.

Mario is gonna lose the edge and that makes the IP way less valuable IMO.

NLG is probably working on a different Nintendo IP (probably a reimagining) or a new IP before going into LM4

The narrative that Strikers was good because of the less mild tone of the series is vastly overplayed and a bit dismisse to the quality and depth of gameplay that was only achieved in a Mario Sports Game 15 later with Aces.

Charged would be just as good even if Waluigi didn't do his dick chop move.

The narrative that Strikers was good because of the less mild tone of the series is vastly overplayed and a bit dismisse to the quality and depth of gameplay that was only achieved in a Mario Sports Game 15 later with Aces.

Charged would be just as good even if Waluigi didn't do his dick chop move.
I'm not dismissing the quality of the game. but never underestimate what a great presentation can do. it elevates a good game to a great one, and a great game into something that's remembered long after it's time. and that's exactly why Mario Strikers is remembered and why Aces won't be

I think it'd make sense if the next non-Mario related game NLG makes is more of a Western-focused IP that doesn't neccessarily have worldwide appeal (i.e. not very popular in Japan/Asia). Maybe they can finally give us a new F-Zero? Or an actual good Star Fox game? Maybe something new entirely?

Ideally, now that they are owned by the big N, they will see a lot of growth--enough to be able to make 2 large scale games at once. That way we can get some Western focoused games/old IP revivals, new IP's, and new Luigi's Mansion games without taking too long in between entries of any of them. Maybe they can even sneak in a new Mario Strikers in between somewhere.

I can see NLG being given the reigns on the next Donkey Kong game provided that rumor about the Tokyo team making it turns out to be false. The series is historically associated with Nintendo's partner studios in the west like Metroid has become.

Its also possible NLG is working on a Punch-Out game, either remake/remaster of the Wii title or a new game.

Or a new Star Fox would be great. Its been constantly an outsourced (Adventures: Rare, Assault: Namco, Command and 64 3D: Q-Games, Zero: Platinium) title, so its possible to give the opportunity to NLG on working on that game.

My guess: working on a psuedo remake of Wii Punch-Out and their next big game is a new Luigis Mansion (maybe exclusive to next switch hardware)

EDIT: I realised NLG games are produced by Tanabe, so don’t think they are working on star fox. Its next project is (imo) a new punch-out/pilotwings/excite game game or the revival of a nes/snes ip like clu clu land, mach rider, ice climbers, etc.

Last edited:
NLG could be working on anything. They’re a Swiss Army knife. They could be making a new Diddy Kong Racing or working on something for Metroid Prime 4. I believe the DK rumors so I don’t see them messing with the IP for now.

I'd love to see Next-Level Games try to make a Wario game! He'd be a very fun and expressive character for them to animate.

NLG would be a great pick for many series but I'm sure Nintendo wants them on something with wide appeal, preferably something they can make as popular as Luigi's Mansion. Based on past sales, Donkey Kong, Wario and Star Fox are the most obvious picks but I wonder what each series' potential is nowadays.

NLG would be a great pick for many series but I'm sure Nintendo wants them on something with wide appeal, preferably something they can make as popular as Luigi's Mansion. Based on past sales, Donkey Kong, Wario and Star Fox are the most obvious picks but I wonder what each series' potential is nowadays.
Donkey Kong I think is the one with the most potential - certainly at hitting 5 to 10 million sold like Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3. It's also obvious Nintendo have plans for that IP, given the theme park news and the movie rumours.
I'd love to see Next-Level Games try to make a Wario game! He'd be a very fun and expressive character for them to animate.
This is something I'd love to see, though. Not only for the animation, but also given the environment design and exploration you get in Luigi's Mansion 3, I think NLG would be a good fit for building a 3D treasure hunting game with Wario.

Nintendo Presents

Next Level Games' The Mysterious Murasame's Castle

cue "they're ripping off Ghost of tsushima"

Quoted by: N75
Anothe collaboration I really would like to see is giving Team Ninja’s Ni-Oh team to work on a new Murasame Castle game, or a 3D Metroid (Other M redemption arc). Both with Ni-Oh/Souls gameplay and game structure.

Ghost of Tsushima will become the Persona of samurai games.
The existence of The Mysterious Murasame Castle (1986) challenges our understanding of time. This is due to the fact that it is a samurai game, despite samurai games not being invented until 2020 with Ghost of Tsushima's release.

The existence of The Mysterious Murasame Castle (1986) challenges our understanding of time. This is due to the fact that it is a samurai game, despite samurai games not being invented until 2020 with Ghost of Tsushima's release.
I got Ace Attorney vibe from this post.

Donkey Kong I think is the one with the most potential - certainly at hitting 5 to 10 million sold like Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3. It's also obvious Nintendo have plans for that IP, given the theme park news and the movie rumours.

This is something I'd love to see, though. Not only for the animation, but also given the environment design and exploration you get in Luigi's Mansion 3, I think NLG would be a good fit for building a 3D treasure hunting game with Wario.
If the Donkey Kong EPD rumours turn out to be true (big if but not beyond the realms of possibility) it would rule out DK as their next game but I do wonder what their plans are for the other Mario spinoff series like Wario and Yoshi. Neither of them has been confirmed for the Mario movie so far, not sure how likely it is that they show up.

If Nintendo is serious about their multimedia and merchandising strategy I expect them to bring back many more of their legacy IPs but I think it'd be wise to also invest in new characters and worlds by their studios. We know of at least two unrealized NLG games in original IPs, Clockwerk and Catalyst. Maybe they wanna try another one for real this time.

Should Yosuke Oshino be removed from the OP? He left a while ago to work at TPC.

I also wonder if Yosuke Tamori should be added as an EPD 4 Project Lead.

Ghost of Tsushima will become the Persona of samurai games.
Does that mean Murasame Castle will be Ghost of Tsushima but without the heart?

If the Donkey Kong EPD rumours turn out to be true (big if but not beyond the realms of possibility) it would rule out DK as their next game but I do wonder what their plans are for the other Mario spinoff series like Wario and Yoshi. Neither of them has been confirmed for the Mario movie so far, not sure how likely it is that they show up.

If Nintendo is serious about their multimedia and merchandising strategy I expect them to bring back many more of their legacy IPs but I think it'd be wise to also invest in new characters and worlds by their studios. We know of at least two unrealized NLG games in original IPs, Clockwerk and Catalyst. Maybe they wanna try another one for real this time.
Yeah, the optimist in me feels cautiously... optimistic... about the combination of the internal development investment and the way that Nintendo's emphasis on IP should be good for historic and new franchises. They'll move slowly, because they always do, but it makes even more sense now to double down on characters like Yoshi and Wario as offshoots of Super Mario which can stand on their own two feet. I feel like the likeliest scenario in the short term would be Good-Feel taking care of both series - by porting Yoshi's Woolly World over to Switch and making a new Wario Land (that's also just me being selfish, though).

In their latest investor Q&A Furukawa (or Miyamoto, I forget who) reiterates how their plans for IP expansion, while large, are intended to drive customers into their game business and ultimately are intended to serve that core aspect of Nintendo. So while there's huge investment in films, merchandise, and theme parks, this is all ultimately done for the sake of the reach Nintendo's games have. That could be good news for their broader IP catalogue; the more worlds and characters they have in their software library, the more options they have for 'everything else'. We're seeing with Pikmin Bloom that they're not just leveraging the obvious stuff for their expanded business areas, even if the obvious stuff gets the film and theme park investment first.

I do think Nintendo needs to show a greater commitment to their IP expansion spotlighted characters than they have lately, as a way to drive people to their consoles. I'd argue that most of these IP simply haven't gotten adequate support during the Switch generation beyond the Wii U ports.

Like if you break down Super Nintendo World, the IP with significant presence in that park are 2D Mario + 3D Mario (powerup band activities), Mario Kart (main ride), Yoshi + Captain Toad (second ride), Pikmin (Easter eggs), and Donkey Kong(phase 2 expansion). Of those only 3D Mario and Yoshi have had recent new entries, the others have been only Wii U ports. Now MK8D and NSMBU DX are strong evergreens so it can be reasoned a new title isn't urgent, but for games that haven't stuck around like Donkey Kong or Captain Toad I do think Nintendo should be doing something with those characters.

I do think Nintendo needs to show a greater commitment to their IP expansion spotlighted characters than they have lately, as a way to drive people to their consoles. I'd argue that most of these IP simply haven't gotten adequate support during the Switch generation beyond the Wii U ports.

Like if you break down Super Nintendo World, the IP with significant presence in that park are 2D Mario + 3D Mario (powerup band activities), Mario Kart (main ride), Yoshi + Captain Toad (second ride), Pikmin (Easter eggs), and Donkey Kong(phase 2 expansion). Of those only 3D Mario and Yoshi have had recent new entries, the others have been only Wii U ports. Now MK8D and NSMBU DX are strong evergreens so it can be reasoned a new title isn't urgent, but for games that haven't stuck around like Donkey Kong or Captain Toad I do think Nintendo should be doing something with those characters.
I sympathise with what you're saying, but from Nintendo's perspective, ports and re-releases count as doing something with those characters. Not everybody caught those games the first time around, and reselling them keeps the characters in the spotlight.

I was thinking about this a little earlier - think about a series like The Legend of Zelda. It's only had one new core entry in the last 5 years, but with spin-offs, remasters, and evergreen sales, Nintendo likely sell 5 to 10 million copies of Zelda titles annually without having to get a brand new title out every year. That's probably as big, or bigger, a commercial profile than the series has ever had.

Absolutely, I'm in favour of more new titles from a wide variety of series - but for Nintendo and the wider market, re-releases are a way to keep characters and IP in the limelight - preferably on the way to new releases.

Game Freak created this year a new R&D division dedicated to the research of high end graphics

DeeplTranslate
"In order to promote the next generation of expression research and its implementation, we have established a department to play this role as a separate organization from the project in 2021.

In this organization, we would like to entrust you with the following missions
Researching new background 3D expressions for the next generation in the main content and developing the production flow in cooperation with R&D and TA involved in engine development.
Provide research results to each project and support during implementation"

A few highlights from the billion openings :

Implementation experience of fluid simulation using GPGPU

(BRDF design including special expressions such as hair and cloth, GI expression) Offline runtime calculation method for, procedural generation of terrain / trees, GPU-driven culling system, etc.)

You can set up PBR lighting using 3D graphic software and a game engine.

Shader development experience with game engines, DCC tools, etc.

Production experience in procedural workflows such as Houdini
・ Knowledge of scripts and shaders
・ Knowledge of writing and post effects

■ Tool usage experience
・ SubstancePainter
・ Photoshop
・ DCC such as Maya / Zbrush
・ Game engine such as Unity / UE4

They also hired some highly talented staff this year

Sadly its just too late for arceus,maybe even too late for gen 9,but the next next pokemon game will look good

I sympathise with what you're saying, but from Nintendo's perspective, ports and re-releases count as doing something with those characters. Not everybody caught those games the first time around, and reselling them keeps the characters in the spotlight.

I was thinking about this a little earlier - think about a series like The Legend of Zelda. It's only had one new core entry in the last 5 years, but with spin-offs, remasters, and evergreen sales, Nintendo likely sell 5 to 10 million copies of Zelda titles annually without having to get a brand new title out every year. That's probably as big, or bigger, a commercial profile than the series has ever had.

Absolutely, I'm in favour of more new titles from a wide variety of series - but for Nintendo and the wider market, re-releases are a way to keep characters and IP in the limelight - preferably on the way to new releases.

I disagree in that Nintendo doesn't treat ports and remasters the same as new games when it comes to marketing and promoting them, nor is that the case in terms of general audience mindshare for these games. (Aside from evergreen juggernauts like MK8D) See the marketing and promotion effort for Tropical Freeze on the Wii U vs. when it's Switch remaster came out.

When Switch will have the best software sales and franchise growth of any Nintendo platform in history, not growing IP that are in the spotlight of their IP expansion efforts is a gigantic missed opportunity cost to them. Like when the Donkey Kong park opens in 2024 in Japan, the Switch needs to have a DK game on store shelves newer than what will be a 6 year old port of a 10 year old game.

Besides it isn't like Switch in 2022 isn't already going to be receiving several follow-ups to 2017 and 2018 franchises like Zelda, Splatoon, and Kirby.

Game Freak created this year a new R&D division dedicated to the research of high end graphics

DeeplTranslate
"In order to promote the next generation of expression research and its implementation, we have established a department to play this role as a separate organization from the project in 2021.

Researching new background 3D expressions for the next generation in the main content and developing the production flow in cooperation with R&D and TA involved in engine development.

(BRDF design including special expressions such as hair and cloth, GI expression) Offline runtime calculation method for, procedural generation of terrain / trees, GPU-driven culling system, etc.)

■ Tool usage experience
・ SubstancePainter
・ Photoshop

Sadly its just too late for arceus,maybe even too late for gen 9,but the next next pokemon game will look good
this is really good. detaching their tools R&D would allow them to make bigger jumps since they won't be bound by the strict timelines of the games

physically based pokemon, here we come!

DeeplTranslate

■ Tool usage experience
・ SubstancePainter
・ Photoshop
But Game Freak is Lazy!

/s

I never thought Game Freak was lazy, every dev has growing pains getting used to HD development. This will be great for the Pokemon's future.

This is great to hear! Game Freak really needed to expand. You're right that it probably will be a while before we see the results of this. Wonder how long it will take?

All Sword leads were guys who spend a decade
Huh, neat find. 35 job listings seems pretty big, their employee count is at 167.
Actualy, the artist listing has 16 different positions inside so the total is 51

2D
UI designer (art)
UI Designer (Art) [Junior Class]
2D art director

3D
Character model (art / technical)
Character model (art) [Junior class]
Person motion [Technical lead]
People motion (art / technical)
Person motion (technical) [Junior class]
Pokemon motion (art)
Background [Technical Lead]
Background (art / technical)
Background (art) [Junior class]
Effect (art / technical)
Effect (art) [Junior class]
Cutscene (technical)
Lighting [Technical Lead]

This is great to hear! Game Freak really needed to expand. You're right that it probably will be a while before we see the results of this. Wonder how long it will take?
if this is intended for Gen 9, probably 2023 at the earliest. but that's assuming they have "something" now. they probably had preliminary proof of concepts running

if this is intended for Gen 9, probably 2023 at the earliest. but that's assuming they have "something" now. they probably had preliminary proof of concepts running

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't fully up and running until after Gen 9, but it would be nice to see!

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't fully up and running until after Gen 9, but it would be nice to see!
possibly, but I still think this is further evidence that they're planning a bigger jump, just in stages. their next game probably show the first parts of their R&D

I feel like a 2023 Gen 9 would start seeing changes from this move implemented, if not on a super massive scale at least somewhat

Gen 9 is probably about to enter full production this month if it hasn't already, so i doubt this will have any effect on it. But definitely the next game after that one.

DeeplTranslate

■ Tool usage experience
・ SubstancePainter
・ Photoshop
Masuda snapped after reading the five thousandth lazy Gamefreak driveby

I wonder if this correlates with their move-in with nintendo. as in, do all these moves lead to the same payoff in the long-term?

Wonder how many teams have moved on to makes games for the dane
I imagine all Nintendo’s 2022 and 2023 lineup will be made with actual hardware on mind. Dane hardware first party exclusive titles will likely start on 2024 but would be very few.

But honestly, if next wave of switch first party hits (zelda botw2, kirby atfl, splat 3, bayo 3, metroid prime 4, mario +rabbids 2, next mario kart*, next mario 3d*, pokémon gen 9*) run on OG hardware, what could make exclusive to Dane? A new smash game perhaps? An hypothetical Luigis Mansion 4?

I just don’t see a 2D zelda (that is likely releasing on 2023 or 2024) not running on actual switch.

*These are not confirmed of course lol, but I'm really sure that next pokémon gen is being made for actual swtich. The same for Mario Kart. I don't know regarding Mario, there is already every type of 3D plattformer available (Sandbox -> Odyssey, Linear -> 3D World, Open World -> Bowser's Fury)

Last edited:
Game Freak finally realizing they have to step things up makes me really happy, hopefully they also realize that their games need longer development times. Ideally the next few years would look something like this.

Legends Arceus DLC, either one big expansion in late 2022/early 2023 or two spread out like SwSh. DLC would include new regional forms and Pokemon to fuel the merchandise machine.

Give ILCA the proper time and budget to make Let’s Go Johto (Pichu and Togepi?) for holiday 2023, a pair of Crystal remakes with some new content, including some new stuff for the merchandise machine, be it new Pokemon, new forms, maybe even new Megas and/or new Gigantamax forms. This would be a cross gen title.

Then finally Gen 9 in holiday 2024, either as a Switch 4k exclusive (unlikely) or cross gen with major visual enhancements on Switch 4K.

Wonder how many teams have moved on to make games for the dane
exclusively? probably none yet until they ship their game in 2022.

"focused" on Dane but for both? probably most games targeting late 2022. BotW2 and Bayonetta 3 are probably such games

I disagree in that Nintendo doesn't treat ports and remasters the same as new games when it comes to marketing and promoting them, nor is that the case in terms of general audience mindshare for these games. (Aside from evergreen juggernauts like MK8D) See the marketing and promotion effort for Tropical Freeze on the Wii U vs. when it's Switch remaster came out.

When Switch will have the best software sales and franchise growth of any Nintendo platform in history, not growing IP that are in the spotlight of their IP expansion efforts is a gigantic missed opportunity cost to them. Like when the Donkey Kong park opens in 2024 in Japan, the Switch needs to have a DK game on store shelves newer than what will be a 6 year old port of a 10 year old game.

Besides it isn't like Switch in 2022 isn't already going to be receiving several follow-ups to 2017 and 2018 franchises like Zelda, Splatoon, and Kirby.
All valid points. I don't disagree that they need to do more - especially with something like DK. The theme park is coming, the movie is rumoured, and so is a DK game - from EPD, no less. We did also have DK front the expansion for the first Mario + Rabbids game, too, so they have made the effort to keep the IP active in the absence of a brand new game. Brand new games are going to take longer than everything else, after all. With the specific example of DK, though, it seems very likely Nintendo are going to act on it with a new game before too long.

Captain Toad is a much smaller IP, but I'd never turn down a sequel.

All Sword leads were guys who spend a decade

Actualy, the artist listing has 16 different positions inside so the total is 51

2D
UI designer (art)
UI Designer (Art) [Junior Class]
2D art director

3D
Character model (art / technical)
Character model (art) [Junior class]
Person motion [Technical lead]
People motion (art / technical)
Person motion (technical) [Junior class]
Pokemon motion (art)
Background [Technical Lead]
Background (art / technical)
Background (art) [Junior class]
Effect (art / technical)
Effect (art) [Junior class]
Cutscene (technical)
Lighting [Technical Lead]

Oh wow, this seems like a massive expansion and probably one of the reasons why they changed locations to Nintendo's Tokyo HQ. It's going to be really interesting to see what these teams (GF, EPD 8, 1-UP and HAL) are going to work on in the coming years and if there's any significant exchange between them.

NLG have the chops to make a terrific Star Fox game. Imagining their Pixar-quality art and animation being used in a Star Fox title has me drooling.

NLG have the chops to make a terrific Star Fox game. Imagining their Pixar-quality art and animation being used in a Star Fox title has me drooling.
I just want to know what they’ve been working on. Star Fox would be great. Maybe a reveal will come next year.

I think it's rather unlikely NLG will work in 3 Luigi's Mansion in a row, plus the DLC.

I'd definitely be up for a new Strikers. But since it really plays a lot like hockey I always thought it would be interesting to take that format and make Super Mario Slapshot.

Back
Top Bottom