• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't there some rumbling that there won't be a Direct, but different branding like a Digital Event this summer? I thought I read that somewhere on Fami this morning, either here or in the Hardware Thread.

Point is, Nate could say he hasn't heard of "a Direct" when he very well has heard of something different coming. Anything is possible.

I'm not tryina twist Nate's words or anything, just saying like, seriously anything's possible yall
If it's referring to the Tweet I'm thinking of, it kinda read as a joke, tbh. Not to say it definitely will be a normal Direct, but I don't think that Tweet was good evidence either way.
Yeah but that was a remake/remaster of an older game, not something like Forgotten Land or Splatoon 3.
I don't know, I'm not super convinced that's a consistent pattern.

Hey famiboards, long time no see. I actually deleted my old account and made a new one, but I figured I had to chip in because arent you all literally ignoring Nate pretty much outright saying he is team June straight up like last page. He literally made allusion to him voting in that poll not being a mistake and said that the loyal should stay on team June. That seems about as direct as you can get without saying it outright.

Anyway thats all I had to say lol, I probably will not be very active anymore, but I did want to chip in here
He also said that he isn‘t interested in giving hints to directs.

Edit: Welcome back! :)

Pretty sure the February Direct was a week before Kirby.
Yeah, but that was remake and not really a EPD game. Either way, the early February Direct is more like a pattern thing, it's not like Nintendo could have waited until March when Kirby was out to do Direct, they had to drop new trailer for Zelda and Pikmin, Splatoon DLC and such in due time.

But if you close your eyes (ayo ayo) does it almost feel like you’ve been here before

I’m still team June til the bitter end I just couldn’t not make this meme

Not having a direct before Splatoon isn’t a pattern. There’s nothing wrong with having a direct 2 weeks before Pikmin 4.

And if you want to follow Splatoon then the direct will be on July 27.

I'm just saying, Nintendo deviated from the usual in 2018 and did their Spring Direct in March for whatever reason, maybe it's the Summer Direct's turn to shift a month for once?

They are not doing Direct week or 2 before Pikmin. We learned this last September when they did it after Splatoon was out, very last minute, just day before TGS, with only 24hours announcement time.
And if they're doing the standard "2 weeks after the last big release" schtick, then it's not going to be July either. Gamescom is late August, TGS is late September. I don't think there's anything else on the calendar to put pressure on them to produce a schedule for the rest of the year until then.

tl;dr: I'll go #TeamAugust before I go #TeamJuly. #TeamJune for life.

So wait what did Grubb say?
This:
"Early rumblings, I say that's something is gonna be in July next month, whether that is a proper Direct or like a Partner Direct or like a 3rd party showcase Direct however they want to frame it, Direct Mini.... I have no idea. But it seems like don't expect anything of that sort until next month, if that even happens at all. Like I said, rumblings, it seems pretty likely that something can happen next month with Nintendo, altough July Direct would be weird." - Jeff Grubb
Credit to Lukas for the post

I'm just saying, Nintendo deviated from the usual in 2018 and did their Spring Direct in March for whatever reason, maybe it's the Summer Direct's turn to shift a month for once?
Spring Direct that year was in March because they indeed had a Mini Direct in January, it was the only time team January actually won. Their first and last win.

I've already flipped from September to June; I'm not interested in flopping to July now. Like I said before, if I'm disappointed yet again, so be it.

But if you close your eyes (ayo ayo) does it almost feel like you’ve been here before

How am I going to be an optimist about this?

Or the September direct is what is shifting to two months earlier because they need time in fall to announce/tease a certain new hardware this FY.

Spring Direct that year was in March because they indeed had a Mini Direct in January, it was the only time team January actually won. Their first and last win.
I remember the early 2019 pains, there HAD to be a Direct in January cuz of the 2017 Switch Presentation and 2018 mini happening before it.
I was not on that team IIRC

Man, if E3 were still a thing, we’d all be getting ready for a megaton Direct in like a week. Now we just sit here staring at a hole hoping a groundhog will eventually pop out.

That thing is definitely seeing its shadow. Six more weeks without a Direct!

That's why July sounds awful, even the 2022 last year the whole thread (including me) was thinking there is July reveal based on whole bunch of nothing, including Switch OLED trailer going private.

The only 100% staple is a September direct. February direct has been another month. E3 direct is just that…an E3 direct and there’s no obligation anymore for Nintendo to have a June direct.

So, how about this

Next week:
Main Nintendo Direct, mostly H2 2023 games

Late June: Pikmin 4 Direct

Early/Mid July: Nintendo Switch 2 Direct, with a reveal of the new console alongside short burts of gameplay of Metroid Prime 4, a new 3D Mario and Mario Kart 9, with the announcement of a full presentation coming in September/October of this year, given a vague 'Early 2024' release slate at the end of the presentation

Is this plausible enough?

July

You lie

Time flies

Therefore, we've actually already had the Direct but didn't notice.

I'm still team June. My original expectation was "mid-June onwards, no reason why it can't be June without E3". I'd rule out the week Pikmin 4 launches but that's about it. Gotta be Pokemon Presents sometime soon too, surely, and that'll presumably be a different week to a Direct.

Well people are correct that the direct for sure will air in a 31-days long, quarter-starting month starting with the letter J.

Just wanna remind everyone that the rest of the year is still looking pretty barren. Know what would fix that, especially with Pikmin 4 coming out next month?

The only 100% staple is a September direct. February direct has been another month. E3 direct is just that…an E3 direct and there’s no obligation anymore for Nintendo to have a June direct.
That doesn't mean that they won't, especially with 2H still looking barren.

Lmfao we're going back to 2020's "partner showcase every month" aren't we

I actually wouldn't mind it, we got SMT, Kingdom hearts MoM, Monster Hunter, and WWE BATTLEGROUNDS back then, we'd likely get stuff just as good in upcoming showcases.

OK I am officially team July.

- No one has said a peep about a June Direct. In fact, some of the people we normally would look to for info have said they have not heard anything about one. Speculation from other voices in the industry is that they are not doing one in June.

- Nintendo usually likes 2 months of marketing between announcement and release for a major title, and often one month for a smaller title. By big game I mean a full $60 physical release title and by smaller title I mean an eshop game.

- Nintendo generally has not had a big game in August, leaving that time for smaller titles and third parties, but usually has something big for September.

- Nintendo is confirmed to attend Gamescom in August. Last time they went was 2019 where they showed off soon to be released but previously announced titles like Luigi's Mansion 3.

- By August of this year they will have no dated, announced games.

Therefore, a July direct would be early enough to announce a big September game, as well as the rest of their holiday lineup. They will be able to market those games at Gamescom in August. They wouldn't need to do a September Direct, but could do something else later on, perhaps tied to the new hardware. I could see Nintendo going in early August at the latest, but July seems like the best bet. Any new Twitter drops or a June Partner Showcase could change my prediction.
July Guys can't hold all these W's.

So, how about this

Next week:
Main Nintendo Direct, mostly H2 2023 games

Late June: Pikmin 4 Direct

Early/Mid July: Nintendo Switch 2 Direct, with a reveal of the new console alongside short burts of gameplay of Metroid Prime 4, a new 3D Mario and Mario Kart 9, with the announcement of a full presentation coming in September/October of this year, given a vague 'Early 2024' release slate at the end of the presentation

Is this plausible enough?
I'd say that Pikmin 4 will get an extended highlight, like most other games that are fast approaching. A 10 minute segment going over new features and mayyyybe a Treehouse afterwards would be just fine for this game.

They said just hours ago they believe in me and now Grubb says something on stream and they are leaving

walter-white-walter-white-meme.gif

The crazy thing is that this could realistically be any week from now till end of September. Not having E3 to pin Nintendo down really does create a wild west scenario, anything could happen. What is clear though is that Nintendo still has multiple games that are still to be announced and released for this year. How they choose to communicate this is any ones guess.

So, this is just an idea I've been toying around with, but there is a scenario where it could be both June and July. Depending on how Nintendo wants to message things, what they could do is do sort of a Direct sandwich where they announce the rest of the Switch titles for the year, then announce Switch 2, then announce all the Switch 2 titles and enhancements in 3 separate events. It'd help to make it clear what is for each platform.

Like I said though, just an idea I've been toying with. Not really any evidence for a particular format at this time (aside from Partner Showcases being particularly unlikely unless accompanied by other things).

Hey famiboards, long time no see. I actually deleted my old account and made a new one, but I figured I had to chip in because arent you all literally ignoring Nate pretty much outright saying he is team June straight up like last page. He literally made allusion to him voting in that poll not being a mistake and said that the loyal should stay on team June. That seems about as direct as you can get without saying it outright.

Anyway thats all I had to say lol, I probably will not be very active anymore, but I did want to chip in here
I thought it was a lukas meme

So uh..... I've been around the Direct speculation thread and apparently, Jeff Grub is hearing rumblings of something going on with Nintendo in July (through his podcast) and along with the supposed rumor of a digital event (not a Direct) happening soon, it got me thinking: what if that "something" is a digital event for [REDACTED] with the big reveal happening this month? That would leave enough room for a Pikmin 4 Direct, too. Depending on when this hypothetical reveal would happen, Summer Geoff Games Fest could announce some games for it. Then you have to factor in the upcoming shareholders meeting this month and we still don't know what's coming out after Pikmin 4. Suffice to say, I think we're in the final stretch, I may be stretching myself, but I'm still confident!
I mentioned this in the hardware thread and I thought I should mention it here. If we entertain this idea, we very well may not get a Direct until September. No, #TeamJuly, a Digital Event is not the same as a Direct.

Though this would satisfy my #Team2023 Drake agenda, so it's a win for me, either way 😈

Nate said he didn’t hear any direct for June and we’re in June. That was good enough for me to know no direct was happening this month. Nintendo IS NOT obligated to do a direct in June.

Their next big game is in July. July 6 and July 13 makes the most sense for the next direct.
My statement at the time may be accurate at that moment & change as info becomes available.

I'm mostly just tired of outlets making news out of my teases.

If I choose to tease or share Direct info, it'll be on my own terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom