• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
Introduction

Welcome to the fifth official Famiboards Nintendo Direct speculation thread! I'm grateful to once again act as steward to this hype vessel.

Of course, you may think that Nintendo Direct speculation is mistimed and that your hype is better directed towards the upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. While I can't deny that the game looks incredible, I feel that there has not been a more exciting time for Direct speculation since the site was established in September of 2021. As this thread's title, written by the endlessly creative @Skittzo, suggests, I believe that we are in broadly uncharted territory for Nintendo Switch. Let's examine a few key points:

1. There are no scheduled releases after Pikmin 4
This one is obvious. Nintendo hasn't announced any game release dates after Pikmin 4 on July 21. Furthermore, the only game we even technically know of past this point is Metroid Prime 4. There was a similar period in the summer of 2020, but then there were more games like Metroid Prime 4 that could in theory return at any time. Now we're running out of them.

2. Nintendo Switch is older than ever
This too is obvious: every day we're a little closer to Nintendo's next system, no matter when it comes. For this reason the first party software library has to change in the near future. Either we'll see the next 3D Mario and similarly massive projects alongside new hardware or a new strategy to continue the system. For example, EPD Tokyo is working on a 2D project, which could either be a fresh take on 2D Mario or maybe even Donkey Kong. Additionally, smaller series like Tomodachi and Rhythm Heaven could have ample room to breathe and grow on a mature, highly successful platform.

3. Nintendo has been aggressive this year
Metroid Prime Remastered was shadowdropped and the huge Xenoblade Chronicles 3 expansion came earlier than expected. There are many possible explanations for this trend of aggressive releases, including the end of some high-profile delays, but I feel comfortable in the assertion that, no matter what's happening, this fall and early 2024 will be anything but boring.

I hope that I've convinced you: the coming months will be very interesting! I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts. That being said, I do recognize that the thread will not see too much traffic to start, and even less after the launch of Tears of the Kingdom. I have accepted this and think that I may enjoy a slower, quieter Direct thread.

Guidelines

Thank you for boarding this hype ship. To ensure the safety and satisfaction of all passengers, we have a few guidelines for your participation in addition to site rules. I'll be trying my best to adhere to these as well.

1. Don't ask "insiders" for information
Hey Nate, have you heard about MonkEPD? What's up Emily, how's your niece or nephew or whatever also Tomodachi when? Good morning Mr. Robertson, is 3D Mario in the Direct? This behavior is irritating to these members and, worse than that, it's cringe for everyone else. Please do not do this.

2. Don't get personal
This also applies especially to insiders. Don't make charged character assessments because of someone's Nintendo opinions, predictions, or, in the insiders' case, information. Not believing everything you read online is good, but I'd appreciate it if you were polite about it.

3. Be nice
To that end, don't be rude or dismissive of people's thoughts.

Updates

Discussions

Prompt #1, 2023.06.03:
I've taken a pretty hands-off approach to this thread partially due to the stress of my new job but also in the interest of not asphyxiating natural discussions with my own attempts to drive the thread. However, I think that now is a good time to start our first discussion prompt, which I think aligns well with the current direction of the thread.

Prompt: Predict the Nintendo Switch lineup from now until December of 2024 in as much or as little detail as you'd like. The inclusion of expected reveal timing of games in the near future may be appropriate for discussion. Include as many first or third party games as you see fit. Don't worry about sharing all of your thoughts immediately or in a single post.

I'll provide my own response to this prompt soon, but I'd like to let the discussion start on its own and see some ideas flowing.
This conversation is mostly over, so I invite you all to jump to the quoted post and take a look at the responses by checking the posts that quoted it. You'll find a lot of really insightful and high-effort speculation there; I'm very happy with how this went. I won't try to summarize these because everyone's response was a little different and worth reading.

Prompt #2, 2023.06.12:
Alright everyone, with some serious talk of a Direct coming this week or next, I think it's time to move onto our second discussion topic. This one unfortunately also has the potential to take up a lot of time for responders, but I believe it's the natural point of discussion for the thread at this point: guessing the contents of the next presentation. Whether you think it'll be a general, a mini, a Partner Showcase, Pikmin 4, or even Pokémon Presents, I encourage you to predict it in as much or as little detail as you'd like. As a corollary, if you think the next presentation will be boring to predict and would rather skip to something more exciting you see coming later in the summer, feel free to do so! There are no rules here, only imagination.
This one was very active, with lots of responses both replying to my post directly and following in the thread standalone. If you'd like to look at some predictions either ahead of the Direct or after it ends, I highly recommend jumping to that post and scrolling through!

OP's Favorite Sh!tposts

These are some of my favorite posts in the thread, which I've collected in my bookmarks for a little while now. I hope you all look forward to being featured.

People keep saying that today we're closer to the next Nintendo Direct than we were yesterday.

But what if the next Nintendo Direct is not located at a point in time but rather a point in space - a point in space outside of our galaxy which, due to cosmic expansion, moves further away from us by the minute?

Tuna in for roughly 12 inches on italian herb and cheese

Fx26B2gXoAAxDs2

if Lukas was a true believer he'd use the prophetic perfect tense

Tune in for roughly 40 minutes of this

dangling-keys7vfzy.jpg

You have to be a competent Nintendo fan to know of the Kirby rumor

I definitely have a poster of George Washington I wake up to every morning and salute

This is just Nintendo making a reference to "Team June vs Team September"

I really should be asleep already. It's almost 2:30 AM and I work in 5 hours. Oh well, goodnight Fami.
Screenshot-20230620-021523-Canva.jpg

Midway through the direct:
1687248068062.jpg

I've just noticed that * Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

lukas posting so hard that a direct happened is a genuine feat of posting prowess. an aspiration to posters everywhere.

It was nice knowing you Christopher Dring ;_;

Edit History

2023.05.05 8:18 AM: Thread created
2023.06.03 7:53 PM: First guided discussion prompt added
2023.06.12 7:10 AM: Second guided discussion prompt and favorite posts section added
2023.06.19 9:00 PM: Second discussion summarized and additional favorite posts added
2023.06.20 8:52 AM: Additional favorite posts and potential Direct link added

Last edited:
feeling pretty confident in a new 2d Mario game this holiday
I think it's very likely! Personally I expect 2D Mario to come out of Kyoto with some of the designers absent from Splatoon 3 while the Tokyo 2D project is Donkey Kong.

Back, when i was still young, we wouldn't have Direct speculation before a Zelda game launch.

You kids today and your skateboards and constant Direct speculation...

;]

Metroid Prime and MonkEPD are the two I'm most interested in seeing.

If it weren't for the fact that Koei Tecmo's Omega Force is likely a bit more focused on their Type Moon + Kou Shibusawa collaboration, as well as the inevitable DW10 announcement by the end of this year, I'd say we were bound to get another Nintendo Musou collaboration of some sort, too.

Hopefully, that Mario Musou materializes some day...

Let's gooooooo

Prime 4 reveal and 2D Mario release this year, I'm willing it into existence

Good thing is that after TOTK release they will start dropping info of Pikmin 4.

+ June Direct revealing their summer/fall lineup, hopefully it includes Prime 4.

Partner showcase in June
Twitter announcement for games coming in August and September (FZero GX HD, Kid Icarus Uprising HD)
Event in September/October detailing new console coming March 2024

One thing i'm not sure on is Nintendo's participation at Gamescom, might they hold an event around that time? Possibly an Indie World.

Nintendo Direct Speculation?

At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the forum, localised entirely within this thread?

May I see it?

So, we're finally getting another game as the final thing of direct after TotK took that spot for the last 2 directs.
What will it be and please don't say TotK dlc.

Partner showcase in June
Twitter announcement for games coming in August and September (FZero GX HD, Kid Icarus Uprising HD)
Event in September/October detailing new console coming March 2024

One thing i'm not sure on is Nintendo's participation at Gamescom, might they hold an event around that time? Possibly an Indie World.
A lighter second half is definitely a possibility, especially with some DLC wrapping up. Splatoon 3 Side Order could be September or December 1st, and we'll have the last two waves of Mario Kart tracks through to December. However, I do expect Mario to have some sort of new retail presence this fall. Maybe it doesn't need one, but it'd represent a peculiar air pocket in the pipeline, as it were.

Nintendo Direct Speculation?

At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the forum, localised entirely within this thread?

May I see it?

No, but there's some wonderful and tasty Steamed Hams waiting for you.

yeeeeeeeeeee

cough cough

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugh

A lighter second half is definitely a possibility, especially with some DLC wrapping up. Splatoon 3 Side Order could be September or December 1st, and we'll have the last two waves of Mario Kart tracks through to December. However, I do expect Mario to have some sort of new retail presence this fall. Maybe it doesn't need one, but it'd represent a peculiar air pocket in the pipeline, as it were.
Mario is a weird one for me, I fully expect Nintendo will want a Mario title for the next consoles launch seeing as Zelda will definitely not be in the position to have a new game out for it. Depending on when Switch 2 is coming will determine when the next Mario game launches I think.

Now a DK game this year I could see, all signs point to DK getting a push (New Lego, new theme park ride, part of the Mario movie) I could see a new DK along with some ports and DLC to wrap up 2023 then 2024 will push towards Switch 2.

Introduction

Welcome to the fifth official Famiboards Nintendo Direct speculation thread! I'm grateful to once again act as steward to this hype vessel...
Great summary of why these are indeed exciting times!

Mario is a weird one for me, I fully expect Nintendo will want a Mario title for the next consoles launch seeing as Zelda will definitely not be in the position to have a new game out for it. Depending on when Switch 2 is coming will determine when the next Mario game launches I think.

Now a DK game this year I could see, all signs point to DK getting a push (New Lego, new theme park ride, part of the Mario movie) I could see a new DK along with some ports and DLC to wrap up 2023 then 2024 will push towards Switch 2.
I'm expecting the new system to launch with 3D Mario, but 2D Mario could also be coming at any time. Like many things right now, there are innumerable ways that it could go.

I'm expecting the new system to launch with 3D Mario, but 2D Mario could also be coming at any time. Like many things right now, there are innumerable ways that it could go.

For sure, if they went with a 2D Mario, do you think it would be another entry in the ‘New’ series or would you expect something different? I feel the ‘New’ brand has been dragged out long enough, I would like to see a new take on 2D Mario.

I just want to see Metroid Prime 4. I'll settle for a Samus T-pose at this point. Just give us something.

For sure, if they went with a 2D Mario, do you think it would be another entry in the ‘New’ series or would you expect something different? I feel the ‘New’ brand has been dragged out long enough, I would like to see a new take on 2D Mario.
I expect (and of course fully hope for) something totally different. I'm not too confident though; there's a chance we get New Super Mario Bros. 3 and the series aesthetically regresses to 2012

For real though, wether it's within a 2D Mario game, or a DK standalone game...

If Nintendo doesn't use DK's new design from the movie, they fail.

For real though, wether it's within a 2D Mario game, or a DK standalone game...

If Nintendo doesn't use DK's new design from the movie, they fail.
I'm also a big fan. It's a subtle change but I like it a lot. It reminds of 2D art from internal projects

super-nin-world-donkey-kong-scaled.jpg

So it begins again!

New switch is coming because my fan is humming like crazy and I don’t want to buy an OLED just to have a new console announced (though I don’t keep up on hardware thread so not sure backwards compatibility is rumored). Really though, we need something for the release calendar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom