• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Between the Direct website update, the Nate vote scandal, the eShop sale, the Brazilian Portugese tweets, and the sheer size of my RPG backlog, all the sound of an imminent Direct is becoming deafening.
The more controversial issue is the strength and quality of Nintendo's second half line up. They might be forced to go big just because I've got two indie RPGs, seven Square Enix RPGs, and the XBC3 expansion to play.

That'll teach me to not strictly need to buy first party games.

they have 49 albums! good luck!
tumblr_mqe3l0FUlY1saqds9o1_500.gif

...anywhere I should start with in particular, or just at the beginning? 😅

PSA: no, the Japanese Direct archive hasn't been updated (yet)
Hey, you there! Have you seen this Tweet?

Or perhaps even this one?

Well, the second Tweet is incorrect coverage of the first: the Japanese article is talking about the US site. Here's an image from the source:

0defe852.jpg

So no, as of right now only the US archive has been updated. Always click links before drawing conclusions, even if you can't read the article yourself.

I'll be honest, the thought of a Persona 3 Remake being a possibility on Switch didn't even cross my mind. I figured it would be a PS exclusive with a PC release later down the line. Maybe MS is paying a ton to get the game on Xbox. But yeah, I never thought it was coming to Switch.

Hey, you there! Have you seen this Tweet?

Or perhaps even this one?

Well, the second Tweet is incorrect coverage of the first: the Japanese article is talking about the US site. Here's an image from the source:

0defe852.jpg

So no, as of right now only the US archive has been updated. Always click links before drawing conclusions, even if you can't read the article yourself.

Does anyone remember this though?

DCXcTyNXYAAHzBw

They had specific page in Japan just for Directs and there was always blank space some time before the next one aired. In the early days if was really consistent and new Direct then popped op just few days after, it was better than any insider. But as time went on I believe it become useless, but am not sure. They deleted the page all together in like 2018 though. It makes me feel so nostalgic.

Mp4 cant release this year because i had to sell my switch (also psvota and new 2ds) to pay an enormous bill. I will probably only get another in december so...
i couldnt even finish totk, im dead afraid of spoilers.

Here’s the thing I think a lot of people might need a reminder on:

You can never rule out “Nintendo tightening up the ship and successfully preventing leaks” as a factor for lack of leaks/evidence.

like, there’s not much evidence for a possible July hardware reveal? Maybe there isn’t a July hardware reveal. Or maybe they actually managed to absolutely lock-down the pipeline and somehow managed to avoid every possible leak. Either can be true!
Derachi is on the right track. I went to NOA and it was locked up tight last weekend. No leaks coming out of a facility that secure!

Alright, I'm finally sitting down to write out a response to my own prompt. I've had kind of a rough week.

Some background: for the purposes of this theory I am assuming that a full successor to Nintendo Switch will be launched on November 1, 2024. Under this theory the system was delayed significantly from this fall to next due to an unforeseen circumstance (manufacturing, system revision, readiness of new software, success of current models, etc), and accordingly the software that would have constituted a "cross-gen" period will support it in its last year instead. This falls outside of the purview of my prompt but note that this means that after the Switch 2 launch there would be no more Switch 1 games published by Nintendo (besides Pokémon).

June 2023:
2023.06.01: Splatoon 3 season 4
2023.06.30: Everybody 1-2 Switch
  • Pokémon Presents on ~June 14, featuring a remake of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky coming on September 8 and Detective Pikachu 2 coming in early 2024, as well as Pokémon DLC coming, uh, whenever it's supposed to be coming
  • a Tweet ~June 20 confirms the fifth Mario Kart DLC wave coming on ~July 4
  • financial meeting confirms new system coming next fiscal year

July 2023:
2023.07.04: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass Wave 5
2023.07.21: Pikmin 4
- A short (~12 minutes) Pikmin 4 Direct on ~July 6, sadly not featuring Hitoshi Matsumoto. Miyamoto and Hino appear though. I'm expecting enough editing to be called a Direct but no overarching voiceover or marketing copy style

August 2023:
2023.08.08: F-ZERO GXDX
- Nintendo Direct returns on ~August 8, featuring the shadowdrop of a remaster of F-ZERO GX. A far cry from the full remake of Metroid Prime, but still sufficiently enhanced for its 40 USD price. Physical copies would ship two weeks later. Also featured: Super Mario Bros. & Co., a new 2D Mario adventure in a visually impressive 3D style coming November 17; Rhythm Heaven Shuffle, a new game co-developed by EPD and indieszero coming on September 29; the next season of Splatoon and its Side Order expansion, both releasing on ~September 1; the final wave of Mario Kart 8 DLC coming "this fall," featuring the final Tour city track Kyoto Kart; Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, a remake coming in early 2024; and Metroid Prime 4, mercifully arriving on October 20.

September 2023:
2023.09.01: Splatoon 3 season 5
2023.09.01: Splatoon 3: Side Order
2023.09.08: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky DX
2023.09.29: Rhythm Heaven Shuffle
- Nintendo Direct mini: Partner Showcase returns on September 19 to showcase whatever third party games are still coming to the system in its last year

October 2023:
2023.10.03: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass Wave 6
2023.10.20: Metroid Prime 4
- Wave 6, already detailed in the August Direct, is given the "available now" treatment on October 3

November 2023:
2023.11.17: Super Mario Bros. & Co.
- Nintendo's presence at The Game Awards the following month becomes known. Rumors of a Nintendo Switch 2 reveal start swirling.

December 2023:
2023.12.01: Splatoon 3 season 6
- On December 8, a special guest makes an appearance at The Game Awards: that's right, a spitting image Mii of Geoff Keighley, who is joined by a Mii of Hideo Kojima in the new game Tomodachi World, coming on March 22. This section is mercifully short, with more details said to be coming soon, but gamers worldwide are baffled and angered by this decision.

January 2024:
  • First to go in our new twilight years paradigm is the beloved January game, which has been reserved for the anemic rest of the year (spoilers: it's Wind Waker)
  • Detective Pikachu 2: Pika-2 is confirmed to launch on February 16, 2024

February 2024:
2024.02.16: Detective Pikachu 2: Pika-2
- Y'all know what time it is: Nintendo Direct returns on ~February 7. The games featured: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, adapted for Nintendo Switch and coming on April 26; Tomodachi World is shown in greater detail; the new Splatoon season is shown with a reminder that it is the penultimate season of new content; Fire Emblem is shown in greater detail and confirmed for May 24; bing bong, it's Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door HD, a loving remake by Intelligent Systems coming June 28; and finally, Donkey Kong Jungle Jamboree, a new 2D platformer by EPD Tokyo is revealed for "summer 2024." Note that Kirby is slightly dead due to the death of Vanpool and the greater development demands for the next 3D game.

March 2024:
2024.03.01: Splatoon 3 season 7
2024.03.22: Tomodachi World

April 2024:
2024.04.26: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

May 2024:
2024.05.24: Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War
  • On ~May 14, a "Splatoon 3 Finale Direct" is held detailing the final season, which features: more weapon kits than any previous season to reach one alternate kit for every main weapon, returning stage Ancho-V Games alongside the return of their in-universe arcade games, including the new Squid Beatz Ultimate; weapon license buybacks for players who have acquired every weapon kit in the game; and finally news hosted by the Squid Sisters in Inkopolis and Off the Hook in Inkopolis Square. Additionally, the final update in September and Final Fest are announced: the Final Fest, which bafflingly in-universe asks players whether Splatoon, Splatoon 2, or Splatoon 3 is best, will take place ~September 7 to ~September 9.
  • Donkey Kong is unceremoniously confirmed for July 19 in a Tweet

June 2024:
2024.06.01: Splatoon 3 season 8
2024.06.28: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door HD
  • E3 is still dead. Sorry Dring.
  • To my delight, the impending release of Paper Mario is completely overshadowed by a Tweet on ~June 10: "Tune in tomorrow at 9 AM PDT to learn about the future of Nintendo Switch." The following day "First look at Nintendo Switch 24" is uploaded to social media channels, showcasing a dramatically more powerful Nintendo Switch successor coming in fall of that year. The reveal teases new 3D Mario and Wave Race games similarly to the Nintendo Switch reveal. Nintendo promises that more details are forthcoming.

July 2024:
2024.07.19: Donkey Kong Jungle Jamboree
- Poor Donkey Kong. Thankfully, the full reveal event for Nintendo Switch 24 is held until after its release.

August 2024:
- A Nintendo Switch 24 digital event is held on ~August 1, formally revealing launch titles Super Mario Sandbox and Wave Race 24/7. Wave Race 24/7 features online play with time of day lighting accurate to the real world time and fictional location of a given course. The entire soundtrack is composed or co-composed by Totaka (!!!) and recorded by straight up fucking T-SQUARE. Also Mario has an open world but one smaller than that of games like GTA, Skyrim, or BOTW. The game instead focuses on density, verticality, and careful level design to create a robust platforming experience across the entire map. Cannons like those in Super Mario 64 showcase the new system's seamless world loading as a player shoots across a large swath of the map. A new Mario Kart, Mario Kart X, is shown and confirmed for a spring release. Also teased in the event is the next Animal Crossing game being in full development, a future Pikmin game being planned, and Star Fox nearing completion.

September 2024:
2024.09.01: Splatoon 3 version 9.0
- The Final Fest is epic, I fight valiantly for #TeamSplatoon

October 2024:
- It's marketing time for Nintendo Switch 24. We're talking Jimmy Fallon, preview events, Times Square billboards, and more. The Nintendo Switch is already a distant memory.

November 2024:
2024.11.01: Nintendo Switch 24
2024.11.01: Super Mario Sandbox
2024.11.01: Wave Race 24/7

December 2024:
- With two launch games, December is comfortably quiet.

Phew, that was exhausting. I promise the next prompt will be less laborious!
Good lineup! Most of it seems reasonably believable. I just wanted to say that i absolutely love the name of Tomodachi World, it's so simple, yet...So catchy! A perfect name for a new Tomodachi game. Hoping for a new Tomodachi this year or 2024!

Second, no mainline Pokemon game (experimental game/remake) in 2024? That would be a bit disappointing if true.

Good lineup! Most of it seems reasonably believable. I just wanted to say that i absolutely love the name of Tomodachi World, it's so simple, yet...So catchy! A perfect name for a new Tomodachi game. Hoping for a new Tomodachi this year or 2024!

Second, no mainline Pokemon game (experimental game/remake) in 2024? That would be a bit disappointing if true.
glad you like the tomodachi name! I think it's perfect for a tomodachi with online sharing/visiting

as for pokémon, officially it's because of the DLC/pipeline issues (arceus was by the B team after all) but unofficially yeah there should probably be an ilca remake in september or october of 2024

glad you like the tomodachi name! I think it's perfect for a tomodachi with online sharing/visiting

as for pokémon, officially it's because of the DLC/pipeline issues (arceus was by the B team after all) but unofficially yeah there should probably be an ilca remake in september or october of 2024
My only complaint with your lineup is the lack of a TP HD port 😅

Can't wait for Switch not having much presence at Summer Games Fest to once again mean the system is doomed. Woop woop!

The more controversial issue is the strength and quality of Nintendo's second half line up. They might be forced to go big just because I've got two indie RPGs, seven Square Enix RPGs, and the XBC3 expansion to play.

That'll teach me to not strictly need to buy first party games.
Sympathy yeah!

Keep calm and backlog on my friend

IB has a rule that if you post a tweet to summarize what it says for people who have twitter blocked. While I'm not suggesting that here, I do think if you post a tweet that isn't in English, giving a translation is helpful.
"by the way my info related to the direct has no relation with the change in the japanese direct page."

Translates to:
"Good morning, holiday (Corpus Christi is a national holiday here)

And look… I received a bomb about Nintendo here involving this month that early lol"

On the same thread he clarifies "there's no puzzle here: I'm talking about a Nintendo Direct "
This is quite funny, because I'm sure they tweeted the other day that Nintendo wouldn't do a June Direct?

I think people have heard something in the last couple of days, especially with Nate deciding to vote June.

He definitely heard something, and it's about a Direct. It's happening, he's quite reliable, runs the biggest Nintendo site of Brazil that's also the only Brazilian site to be vetted in Metacritic (and for awhile, like at least since 2014 I recall, but probably since waaaay earlier).
tbh kinda weird that some of our usual sources are saying June, but Grubb seemed pretty keen on July. I wonder if it’s two different things? Like what if this month is a Partner showcase but next month is, dare I say it… new hardware?
In a reply to Lipe's tweet, Goddess Nintendo jokes "beware of people reviving Switch Pro rumors again". And he jokes alongside after.

The only possibility for hardware announcement in July is if it's coming this holiday season, which is very, very unlikely since Nintendo expects to sell 15M Switches this FY. Unless Drake ends up being marketed as a Switch Pro and counts on that, which would be funny for the meltdowns but I don't think is in the cards.

I think Grubb said he's "starting to hear rumblings" about something in July, but didn't specify dates or nothing like that. I think sources might get late June wrong as early July.

Lipe tho specifically says he's heard about Direct in June, with all words. It's the hardest evidence we have so far, a solid claim.

@LukasManak22 By the way, i remember earlier in the thread you were adamant about the June Direct happening in the second week of June, i specifically remember June 14/15.

But, you seem to have changed your opinion to the June Direct happening in the third week of June, specifically June 22.

I was wondering what changed your mind? And do you think a Direct in the second week of June is still possible?

Hype train is slowly but surely rolling. Still stationed deep inside the Zelda hole myself (how am have I played 100 hours already without even starting a 2nd dungeon??) but I'm definitely ready to see some more games, whether that's 1st or 3rd party (in case of a Partner Showcase). Excited!

I have never once heard of this name before but I blame you for putting him in my release radar from last week because I am hearing of this artist and this song for the first time today and damn it slaps

Check out this song to hear where the Mario Bros theme song got its first notes from ;)

Adventures in any case is a classic album, I think they are actually credited with inspiring Japanese vg soundtracks from the 80's

Hype train is slowly but surely rolling. Still stationed deep inside the Zelda hole myself (how am have I played 100 hours already without even starting a 2nd dungeon??) but I'm definitely ready to see some more games, whether that's 1st or 3rd party (in case of a Partner Showcase). Excited!
There's a little bit of me, in the whole Zelda hypeland, that has forgotten they even make other games. I'll need a Direct to wake me up.

T-SQUARE (formerly The Square) is actually musical chairs of like twenty-seven Japanese dudes over four decades
Sort of like a jazz fusion version of an idol group?

Derachi is on the right track. I went to NOA and it was locked up tight last weekend. No leaks coming out of a facility that secure!
Gimme a minute
151258_Phanto%25202-620x.jpg

There's loads of room for Twilight Princess HD in the 2024 through 2028 Zelda Interregnum period. It's not 2024 or bust; 3DS got support into spring 2019, and was a far less profitable and far less successful system than Switch, without the benefit of its games being playable on new hardware.

I don’t disagree, looks like a double pack or bust… which doesn’t fill me with much hope.
After the TOTK DLC, we'll be very happy to have these games at some point while we wait for the sequel. We're still playing TOTK, but sooner or later there will be an itch to scratch and these games will be perfect for that. I'd love a trilogy of Gamecube/Wii games in 4K/60FPS on Switch 2.

@LukasManak22 By the way, i remember earlier in the thread you were adamant about the June Direct happening in the second week of June, i specifically remember June 14/15.

But, you seem to have changed your opinion to the June Direct happening in the third week of June, specifically June 22.

I was wondering what changed your mind? And do you think a Direct in the second week of June is still possible?
The June 22nd feels about right, it would allign with everything, especially with some saying it's way too quiet now. Could be next week but I really doubt, it's the 22nd.

Actually @Ibrahim said a funny thing a while back, saying "Lukas is your lucky number and am out" refferencing the famous King Zell line with February 2019 Direct. And it really seems like, because it's literally in the nickname the number 22.

Honorable mention goes to shareholders meeting happening on June 23 at 10am JST specifically, the Direct will air just 3 hours before that at 7am JST so that they will have H2 titles announced and Furukawa will have no fear with shareholders questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom