• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
that would be a shocking movie. You would think they would at least go with dreamworks for this.
The head of Illumination is now also the head of Dreamworks. In fact, he's going to produce the next Shrek. So I don't know if that changes things much. On the other hand, a graphic style close to Wind Waker would make me crazy with joy personally. In any case, if it's going to be a completely empty and generic Netflix series like The Witcher, I think I'd still prefer Illulmination.

the CEO of Illumination is literally on the board of Nintendo, they’ve probably got ROFR on literally any film project
Ideally, I think Nintendo would like to end up actually developing Nintendo Pictures. Because I can imagine it must be a bit frustrating for them to only recoup a minority share of the huge takings of the Super Mario movie, for example. That said, Illumination's know-how, whatever you think of them, undeniably also contributed to the success.

New 2D Sonic this autumn. Be funny if there's new 2D Mario as well...
It was literally the first thing that came to mind. It would be fun indeed, and as long as 2D Mario (which will arrive sooner or later, regardless of any predictions) gets renewed too, it'll be pretty cool to see both series stay modern and relevant.

Nintendo's fierce overprotectiveness of their I.P. would ensure that a Zelda movie establishes a more serious tone relative to the Mario movie. Not that they'd have Alden Ehrenreich doing Link as a silent protagonist per se, but the same forces that violently oppress anything that would cause Mario to deviate from being A Family-Friendly Romp For All Ages will want to maintain Zelda's brand identity, which caters more to middle schoolers than to elementary schoolers.
Absolutely. And if being "overprotective" means making sure there's no pseudo-comic and absolutely pathetic wedding scene in a Zelda movie, then I hope Nintendo stays "overprotective" for several more tens of millennia.

So the lineup starting from July looks like this:

July:
Pikmin 4
Trails into Reverie
Atelier Marie
Disney Illusion Island
Nobunaga's Ambition
Double Dragon
Oxenfree II

August:
Rhapsody Marl Kingdom Chronicles
Sea of Stars
Blasphemous II
Akiba's Trip 2
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
Samba de Amigo

September:
Mortal Kombat 1
Bomberman R2
Rune Factory 3
Infinity Strash
Legend of Nayuta
Fae Farm
My Time at Sandrock
Weird West

October:
Disgaea 7
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2
CRYMACHINA

November:
That game
Biomutant

Not dated: Metroid Prime 4, Sonic Superstars, Fantasy Life i, DECAPOLICE, Megaton Musashi Wired, Baten Kaitos 1&2, King of Fighters XIII, Fate Samurai Remnant, Outer Wilds, Front Mission 2, Lara Croft Collection, Flashback 2, UFO Robot Grendizer, R-Type Cosmos, Eiyuden Chronicle, Suikoden 1-2, Fashion Dreamer, Risk of Rain Returns, Plucky Squire, Pepper Grinder, Lorelei, that buggy game

Leaked: Solar Ash, Anno 1800, Borderlands 3

Rumored: F-Zero HD, FE Genealogy remake, P3 Remake, P5T, MGS Collection, Final Fantasy Tactics, New SaGa, new Mana, new Digimon game, new VanillaWare game

Expected: At least one Mario game, whatever it is, Donkey Kong, Crash Wumpa League port, One Piece Odyssey port, Wild Hearts port, more Namco remasters (Soul Calibur? according to Xboxera Nick), more ports from Feral and Lightspeed

Winner: NIS america
Loser: Capcom

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:

July:
Pikmin 4
Trails into Reverie
Atelier Marie
Disney Illusion Island
Nobunaga's Ambition
Double Dragon
Oxenfree II

August:
Sea of Stars
Blasphemous II
Akiba's Trip 2
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
Samba de Amigo

September:
Mortal Kombat 1
Bomberman R2
Rune Factory 3
Infinity Strash
Legend of Nayuta
Fae Farm
My Time at Sandrock
Weird West

October:
Disgaea 7
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2
CRYMACHINA

November:
That game
Biomutant

Not dated: Metroid Prime 4, Sonic Superstars, Fantasy Life i, DECAPOLICE, Megaton Musashi Wired, Baten Kaitos 1&2, King of Fighters XIII, Fate Samurai Remnant, Outer Wilds, Front Mission 2, Lara Croft Collection, Flashback 2, UFO Robot Grendizer, Plucky Squire, Pepper Grinder, Lorelei, that buggy game

Leaked: Solar Ash, Anno 1800

Rumored: F-Zero HD, FE Genealogy remake, P3 Remake, P5T, MGS Collection, Final Fantasy Tactics, New SaGa, new Mana, new Digimon game, new VanillaWare game

Expected: more Namco remasters (Soul Calibur? according to Xboxera Nick)
Thank you for the summary! I still have no idea if Paper Mario TTYD actually has any concrete rumours behind it outside of sheer force of gamer will bringing it into existence, but might be worth adding too.

Also, what did Xboxera Nick say about Soul Calibur? New game or at long last SC2HD coming out again?

July:
Pikmin 4
Trails into Reverie
Atelier Marie
Disney Illusion Island
Nobunaga's Ambition
Double Dragon
Oxenfree II

August:
Sea of Stars
Blasphemous II
Akiba's Trip 2
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
Samba de Amigo

September:
Mortal Kombat 1
Bomberman R2
Rune Factory 3
Infinity Strash
Legend of Nayuta
Fae Farm
My Time at Sandrock
Weird West

October:
Disgaea 7
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2
CRYMACHINA

November:
That game
Biomutant

Not dated: Metroid Prime 4, Sonic Superstars, Fantasy Life i, DECAPOLICE, Megaton Musashi Wired, Baten Kaitos 1&2, King of Fighters XIII, Fate Samurai Remnant, Outer Wilds, Front Mission 2, Lara Croft Collection, Flashback 2, UFO Robot Grendizer, Plucky Squire, Pepper Grinder, Lorelei, that buggy game

Expected: At least one Mario game, whatever it is, Donkey Kong, Crash Wumpa League port, One Piece Odyssey port, Wild Hearts port, more Namco remasters (Soul Calibur? according to Xboxera Nick), more ports from Feral and Lightspeed

Am I missing anything?
Kingdom Come Deliverance, Robocop

July:
Pikmin 4
Trails into Reverie
Atelier Marie
Disney Illusion Island
Nobunaga's Ambition
Double Dragon
Oxenfree II

August:
Sea of Stars
Blasphemous II
Akiba's Trip 2
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
Samba de Amigo

September:
Mortal Kombat 1
Bomberman R2
Rune Factory 3
Infinity Strash
Legend of Nayuta
Fae Farm
My Time at Sandrock
Weird West

October:
Disgaea 7
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2
CRYMACHINA

November:
That game
Biomutant

Am I missing anything?

Awesome summary!

I had forgotten Oxenfree II is coming out next month. And there's Sea of Stars in August. Those two, alongside Pikmin 4, will make me a happy gamer during the next couple of months.

EDIT: If you want to add December to the list, I believe Mina the Hollower is set for that month.

Kingdom Come Deliverance, Robocop
I believe Robocop is cancelled, someone asked the official twitter about Switch version and they said it's no longer planned.

I'm gonna assume Kingdom Come is also canned. It's been more than 2 years without any update. Official site makes no mention of Switch version. Looks like days of Switch miracle ports are at an end, MK1 and HL will be the final games.
Also, what did Xboxera Nick say about Soul Calibur? New game or at long last SC2HD coming out again?
He's not sure what remaster it is. Nick's track record is pretty sketchy but this makes sense. Namco has ported already remastered Tales of Symphonia, so SC could be next in line.

So discussingfilm(pretty big entertainment twitter) is reporting that Illumination is closing on a deal to make a Legend of Zelda movie. They are sourcing John Rocha.
Worth going to Jeff Snieder, the original source for this, who said on the news livestream he was on he's heard from two sources Universal are close to closing on a deal for the Zelda rights, without explicit reference to animation or Illumination. He says he rang to get confirmation and they wouldn't comment, but he's confident it's happening. He then mentions Illumination in speculation.

It may turn out to be a second Illumination project, but they may also go in a totally different direction yet.

I believe Robocop is cancelled, someone asked the official twitter about Switch version and they said it's no longer planned.

I'm gonna assume Kingdom Come is also canned. It's been more than 2 years without any update. Official site makes no mention of Switch version. Looks like days of Switch miracle ports are at an end, MK1 and HL will be the final games.

He's not sure what remaster it is. Nick's track record is pretty sketchy but this makes sense. Namco has ported already remastered Tales of Symphonia, so SC could be next in line.
They said the other day that the switch version of KCD still in development

about robocop, they have not said anything on their social networks about a switch cancellation either.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for some good news then! I hope we hear something of it sooner rather than later, the last SC game I played that wasn't SC2 was Legends and that...was certainly a game to exist on Wii.

Honestly, this is a "i'll believe it when I see it" moment. Two years are way too long for a port, even The Witcher 3 took 1 year.
Whether you expect them or not, they are games that are currently confirmed for the console, so they are part of that list.

fae farm 59.99 on switch/pc...................................blinks they have gotta be kidding me dead on arrival.
Might be just me, but the fact it's full price actually has me more interested. Was a lot easier to write off when it was just another indie farming sim that wouldn't be as good as Stardew. Being full priced likely means the combat/rpg half of the game is probably more involved then I thought it would be.

The head of Illumination is now also the head of Dreamworks. In fact, he's going to produce the next Shrek. So I don't know if that changes things much. On the other hand, a graphic style close to Wind Waker would make me crazy with joy personally. In any case, if it's going to be a completely empty and generic Netflix series like The Witcher, I think I'd still prefer Illulmination.
Meledandri has been the head of dreamworks since the acquisition in 2016. He was the one who brought back puss in boots 2 and was an executive producer on it, and that film is continent aheads of anything illumination has ever made. So idk what you re implying, but if it is "oh but meledandri supervising DW now means that they lost their spark" that is not true.

Whether you expect them or not, they are games that are currently confirmed for the console, so they are part of that list.
I only listed titles actually aiming 2023. Even if it's still in dev, no guarantee that KCD will be a 2023 game. Same goes for DQ3 remake, Inazuma Eleven or Ys Oath in Felghana.

Titles like Outer Wilds and Lara Croft just got rated recently so they qualify.

The June 22nd feels about right, it would allign with everything, especially with some saying it's way too quiet now. Could be next week but I really doubt, it's the 22nd.

Actually @Ibrahim said a funny thing a while back, saying "Lukas is your lucky number and am out" refferencing the famous King Zell line with February 2019 Direct. And it really seems like, because it's literally in the nickname the number 22.

Honorable mention goes to shareholders meeting happening on June 23 at 10am JST specifically, the Direct will air just 3 hours before that at 7am JST so that they will have H2 titles announced and Furukawa will have no fear with shareholders questions.
Young_Michael_Scott_Shaking_Ed_Truck%27s_Hand.jpg

I only listed titles actually aiming 2023. Even if it's still in dev, no guarantee that KCD will be a 2023 game. Same goes for DQ3 remake, Inazuma Eleven or Ys Oath in Felghana.

You have Metroid Prime 4 on the list...

Meledandri has been the head of dreamworks since the acquisition in 2016. He was the one who brought back puss in boots 2 and was an executive producer on it, and that film is continent aheads of anything illumination has ever made. So idk what you re implying, but if it is "oh but meledandri supervising DW now means that they lost their spark" that is not true.
That's not what I'm saying at all. On the contrary, I'm saying that it doesn't make sense to say "I'd rather Dreamworks than Illumination" when it's now run by the same people. And if I talk about the next Shrek it's precisely because Puss in Boots 2 was not a bad movie, so we're saying exactly the same thing.

They've absolutely lost their spark, however. And have been for a very long time. But that's another subject.

I don’t know why but I often think that we won’t have either a new DK game or a new 2D Mario in the Switch life, rather… a Mario X Donkey Knog game, with both characters interacting together.

Not a Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, but a Mario AND Donkey Kong, 2D or 3D. Some sort of Donkey Kong 64 mixed with Mario Odyssey fluid movement.

That's not what I'm saying at all. On the contrary, I'm saying that it doesn't make sense to say "I'd rather Dreamworks than Illumination" when it's now run by the same people. And if I talk about the next Shrek it's precisely because Puss in Boots 2 was not a bad movie, so we're saying exactly the same thing.

They've absolutely lost their spark, however. And have been for a very long time. But that's another subject.
Chris, tho, was the executive producer of the film, meaning that beyond bringing it back he didn't have creative influences over it. Dreamworks has had one of their best years in decades in 2022, with puss and the bad guys giving the studio an acclaim that they havent seen in decades, so i dont understand very much that comment about the studio losing its spark either.

We will see how Shrek 5 will be like, but Puss is not a test drive for it because its not being made by the ACTUAL people behind the film, such as Joel Crawlford.

so today we got

Prince of Persia
Sonic
Ghostbuster

plus tons of indie yesterday, right? (A Void Hope, Cross Tails, Terra Memoria, Shredder's DLC...)

I don’t know why but I often think that we won’t have either a new DK game or a new 2D Mario in the Switch life, rather… a Mario X Donkey Knog game, with both characters interacting together.

Not a Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, but a Mario AND Donkey Kong, 2D or 3D. Some sort of Donkey Kong 64 mixed with Mario Odyssey fluid movement.
After so long without a new DK game, and you want a DK game with Mario?

Why you hate us DK fans so much? 😭

Not dated: Metroid Prime 4, Sonic Superstars, Fantasy Life i, DECAPOLICE, Megaton Musashi Wired, Baten Kaitos 1&2, King of Fighters XIII, Fate Samurai Remnant, Outer Wilds, Front Mission 2, Lara Croft Collection, Flashback 2, UFO Robot Grendizer, R-Type Cosmos, Plucky Squire, Pepper Grinder, Lorelei, that buggy game

Am I missing anything?
Fashion Dreamer
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
Risk of Rain Returns
Suikoden I & II HD Remaster

Inazuma Eleven is still targeting 2023.

Chris, tho, was the executive producer of the film, meaning that beyond bringing it back he didn't have creative influences over it. Dreamworks has had one of their best years in decades in 2022, with puss and the bad guys giving the studio an acclaim that they havent seen in decades, so i dont understand very much that comment about the studio losing its spark either.

We will see how Shrek 5 will be like, but Puss is not a test drive for it because its not being made by the ACTUAL people behind the film, such as Joel Crawlford.
Dreamworks SKG is not "SKG" anymore, and that was the spark. And it never was just about the S or the K. It's great that it's back on the map, but that doesn't take away from the fact that what the studio used to be is long gone. Because it was so much more than just a movie studio. It was a creative vision. But the fact that it's a nice Universal subsidiary is good enough, I suppose, and I like Illumination too, even if they don't do anything mind-blowing, because I think they're people who love what they do.

Dreamworks SKG is not "SKG" anymore, and that was the spark. And it never was just about the S or the K. It's great that it's back on the map, but that doesn't take away from the fact that what the studio used to be is long gone. Because it was so much more than just a movie studio. It was a creative vision. But the fact that it's a nice Universal subsidiary is good enough, I suppose, and I like Illumination too, even if they don't do anything mind-blowing, because I think they're people who love what they do.
if that was the spark then i guess it left pretty soon, considering spielberg never made an animated film with the studio, katzenberg was a mixed ball right from the start, probably tending to the worse, and geffen i think never had much to do with the studio.

Once again, Dreamworks was not just a film studio or an animation studio. It was the result a cross-disciplinary vision. Geffen had "nothing to do" with this is only if you completely ignore Dreamworks as a music label. Dreamworks was a global vision.

It was the addition of different skills in the service of a common desire for excellence. That was the spark. And Shrek won an Oscar because of that ambition and creative culture, not just as an animation studio and nothing else. It wasn't an animation studio and nothing else, which is precisely my point.

Now it's just a division of Universal with some great legacy licenses and probably some talented people, old and new. That's perfectly fine, but it's not the same thing at all.

Yes, If.

Seriously dude why are you like this. We have as little information to go off of as I can imagine, we can't make wild assumptions like "there will definitely for sure be a June 2023 Direct" and "There will definitely for sure be a new 2D Mario game in the holiday season".
This may have been sarcasm, but is it really that wild to assume that a video game publisher/console manufacturer that intends to sell 15 million consoles this fiscal year, and has a near empty release slate for the rest of the year, would announce said release slate in a way that has proven successful for them for the better part of the last decade? And is it that far-fetched to believe that they would use a new mainline entry in their marquee franchise, which just got a movie that grossed over $1 billion worldwide, that we know for a fact has been in active development for at least 3 and a half years, to get to that sales target?

I'm still assuming Dring was accurate and Nintendo are gonna have a quiet rest of the year. One more big direct, and a mini or two. No 2D Mario this year, nor MP4. Maybe they get shown off but they're both 2024. Mostly gonna be remakes and remasters for the rest of Nintendo's 2023 releases after Pikmin.

This may have been sarcasm, but is it really that wild to assume that a video game publisher/console manufacturer that intends to sell 15 million consoles this fiscal year, and has a near empty release slate for the rest of the year, would announce said release slate in a way that has proven successful for them for the better part of the last decade? And is it that far-fetched to believe that they would use a new mainline entry in their marquee franchise, which just got a movie that grossed over $1 billion worldwide, that we know for a fact has been in active development for at least 3 and a half years, to get to that sales target?
We all know that Nintendo will eventually release a new 2D Mario, if only because it's a commercial no-brainer. We all know that Nintendo is not going to keep its second half of 2023 empty, if only because it's a commercial no-brainer.

However, there's nothing tangible to suggest, either supposedly or with any certainty, that these two facts are necessarily linked. Just because Nintendo will be releasing more games this year doesn't mean 2D Mario will necessarily be one of them, and just because Nintendo will be releasing a 2D Mario doesn't mean it will necessarily be for the end of 2023. It's just that it would make a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.

I'm still assuming Dring was accurate and Nintendo are gonna have a quiet rest of the year. One more big direct, and a mini or two. No 2D Mario this year, nor MP4. Maybe they get shown off but they're both 2024. Mostly gonna be remakes and remasters for the rest of Nintendo's 2023 releases after Pikmin.
Didn't Dring also say that SGF was going to have some big announcements? Some of those games will sell less then Pikmin 4 which isn't big.

Ideally, I think Nintendo would like to end up actually developing Nintendo Pictures. Because I can imagine it must be a bit frustrating for them to only recoup a minority share of the huge takings of the Super Mario movie, for example. That said, Illumination's know-how, whatever you think of them, undeniably also contributed to the success.
"contributed to the success" is selling it way short when they quite literally made the movie. Its an Illumation film featuring Nintendo IP.

"contributed to the success" is selling it way short when they quite literally made the movie. Its an Illumation film featuring Nintendo IP.
Yeah. If nintendo had the structure, know how, understood how to make a decent film they would have done it themselves. The Mario film not being hot trash is due to how passionate everyone at illumination was, there is only so much nintendo's steering could do, especially for something outside of their area of expertise.

If Nintendo hadn't been so involved (the development of the project took a long time because of this supervision), the movie would certainly have been much more generic. That's exactly what we saw with Sonic. Mario is one of the biggest licenses in the world because of its specific identity . It's totally consubstantial with Nintendo. It's not to deny Illumination's excellent work for a second to make this obvious observation.

Yeah. If nintendo had the structure, know how, understood how to make a decent film they would have done it themselves. The Mario film not being hot trash is due to how passionate everyone at illumination was, there is only so much nintendo's steering could do, especially for something outside of their area of expertise.
It's a mutually beneficial partnership in which everyone brings something to the table, but in my opinion Nintendo Pictures means that Nintendo is willing acquire expertise that they don't have in this field.

@Raccoon is not having a good day. A new Prince of Persia game and a new Sonic game were announced for Switch and the Persona games have not yet been deconfirmed for Switch, in fact, chances are slightly more likely than they were at the start of the day. Any one game announcement can back the release of the Switch 2 back further and further. Looking at 2025 launch at the moment.

giphy.gif

@Raccoon is not having a good day. A new Prince of Persia game and a new Sonic game were announced for Switch and the Persona games have not yet been deconfirmed for Switch, in fact, chances are slightly more likely than they were at the start of the day. Any one game announcement can back the release of the Switch 2 back further and further. Looking at 2025 launch at the moment.

giphy.gif
it's genuinely fucked up that they would put sonic on switch 1. I imagine it targeting 60 on consoles meant it was easy to slash in half for the port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom