• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's genuinely fucked up that they would put sonic on switch 1. I imagine it targeting 60 on consoles meant it was easy to slash in half for the port
Nintendo of America's version of the trailer is 60FPS too, which would be misleading marketing if they just uploaded a 60FPS trailer if the game is not 60FPS on Switch

hey this is totally lame of me but could you guys take this multimedia crap elsewhere
You're just afraid of the inevitable: that the upcoming Nintendo Direct is focused entirely on Nintendo Pictures, announcing an upcoming slate of Nintendo movies and TV shows.

Actually there have been Mario Movie Directs and they announced the cast of the Mario Movie at a General Direct. So multimedia crap is now Direct speculation appropriate!

Puppet shows and Robot Chicken are also Direct appropriate.

Hey everybody I've been out of the spec game for pretty much this whole thread, first cycle I haven't participated in in years....

anybody mind catching me up? preferably with reliable evidence but honestly I wanna hear all the crazy stuff I've missed
AFAIK nothing with reliable evidence so far. 😅
Grubb says he's heard about something, possibly not "Direct" branded but something from Nintendo in July. Nate has heard nothing. Dring continues to haughtily insist Nintendo has jack shit to show at all, and @LukasManak22 remains ever faithful in his power to manifest a June Direct.
So at this point, we're running on faith and shitposting.

I need Zippo’s professional opinion before I can believe a Direct is going to happen. Even if Nintendo announces it themselves I won’t believe it!
He's too busy taking victory laps over Stinky Horse, as he insists he's the one who leaked it all that time ago and "nobody believed him." el oh el.

nothig about sonic superstars says it cant run at 60 on switch
If it's developed internally by Sega then that would say it cant run at 60 on Switch 😅

Ideally, I think Nintendo would like to end up actually developing Nintendo Pictures. Because I can imagine it must be a bit frustrating for them to only recoup a minority share of the huge takings of the Super Mario movie, for example. That said, Illumination's know-how, whatever you think of them, undeniably also contributed to the success.
Nintendo went half and half with universal for funding the movie so they'd be getting half the profits from the movie, they aren't taking a tiny portion of the pot.

Also Nintendo Pictures is really small. They're the size of studio that makes game cuts cents, commercials, and support work for other studios. They aren't anywhere near the size of a studio like Illumination or DreamWorks. Even of Nintendo builds them up they aren't getting anywhere near as big as soon.

Also even if Nintendo could make theatrical movies on their own they'd still need a distributor to put them in theaters, that isn't something they are setup for.

Between the Illumination head being on the board and the parks partnership its pretty clear Nintendo sees their partnership with Universal as being a long term one, rather than try to go it alone.

This may have been sarcasm, but is it really that wild to assume that a video game publisher/console manufacturer that intends to sell 15 million consoles this fiscal year, and has a near empty release slate for the rest of the year, would announce said release slate in a way that has proven successful for them for the better part of the last decade? And is it that far-fetched to believe that they would use a new mainline entry in their marquee franchise, which just got a movie that grossed over $1 billion worldwide, that we know for a fact has been in active development for at least 3 and a half years, to get to that sales target?

Neither of those are farfetched. They're also far from surefire things when they didn't announce games at this point in the year last year and when they also have a wealth of other franchises that do on-par with their "marquee," franchise, and the poster was only even talking about one singular subseries (of which there are many) within that franchise. Also we don't know for a fact anything has been in development as far as I know.

Okay, i beat zelda, im looking forward to beating pikmin, then it’s time for a new mario. I should probably go back to metroid prime…but I got stuck about 12 hours in

Nintendo went half and half with universal for funding the movie so they'd be getting half the profits from the movie, they aren't taking a tiny portion of the pot.

Also Nintendo Pictures is really small. They're the size of studio that makes game cuts cents, commercials, and support work for other studios. They aren't anywhere near the size of a studio like Illumination or DreamWorks. Even of Nintendo builds them up they aren't getting anywhere near as big as soon.

Also even if Nintendo could make theatrical movies on their own they'd still need a distributor to put them in theaters, that isn't something they are setup for.

Between the Illumination head being on the board and the parks partnership its pretty clear Nintendo sees their partnership with Universal as being a long term one, rather than try to go it alone.
i also think people dont understand how large these studios are. Nintendo Pictures is at best at 150 employees. EPD is close to 1000. Dreamworks Glendale has i think over 1500 employees.

Is it even feasible to create a feature film CGI studio outside of hollywood? Im not saying CGI studios that provide work for games, shows and the like such as Blur or Marza, im talking about an studio that can animate a feature film, i dont know if that is feasible.

And feasibility aside, we know Nintendo absolutely isnt doing that lol.

I imagine Nintendo Pictures's purpose is only to prevent the actual studios who will do the work from doing things with the IPS that they should not be doing. Giving creative input. Stuff like that.
And i imagine visual content for games (pre rendered stuff, actual CGI, etc) CGI commercials perhaps, high quality models for games that need it, etc.

And... MAYBE...in the future they might start venturing on their own works (not feature films). Shorts, like the Pikmin ones.

I strongly hope we'll see an F-Zero remaster in 2023 as Nate suggested, and therefore in the next Direct, but if so, I wonder who's developing it. Maybe it's the Nintendo-commissioned remaster Namco's working on, although I really want it to be Kid Icarus or Star Fox. I say this because I don't believe the rumor linking NLG to the F-Zero GX remaster project, if it exists.

There's every reason to believe that Next Level games began work on a new game in November 2022, as the contracts of several recruits began on that date, according to the company's Linkedin account. And many things, such as the nature of the latest job offers, particularly the cinematics-oriented one, point to the ongoing development of Luigi's Mansion 4.

Nintendo will obviously never be a film distributor. That never was my point. What I mean is just because they've created Nintendo Pictures only very recently by buying out a small structure doesn't mean that this structure will never develop. I don't know if there is an actual source about the funding, but a 50/50 split in revenues would not be the norm, and co-financing does not necessarily mean equal financing. Having said that, I suggest we discuss this in the appropriate topic as it's true that it doesn't belong here.

Marza actually worked on a feature film and it's gorgeous

Yeah. Lots of CGI studios work on feature films. Marza certainly did a lovely job, but they dont have a stream of films coming out every year, its inconsistent. I dont believe they could do that.

Fuck's sake I've only played 20 hours of Zelda in nearly a month and Pikmin 4 is out in 43 days.

Okay, i beat zelda, im looking forward to beating pikmin, then it’s time for a new mario. I should probably go back to metroid prime…but I got stuck about 12 hours in
Let me guess, can't find the Ice Beam? Been there...

Marza actually worked on a feature film and it's gorgeous

I love that movie. I'm normally super iffy about taking 2d animated stuff and turning it 3d but they really knocked it out of the park. They kept the stylishness of Lupin and made it work.

frankly, I'm just kinda hoping they would just announce multiple gamecube remasters and more NSO shit :v

Been a solid SGF for Switch games so far, Sonic Superstars, new Prince of Persia, quite a few great looking indies and possibly the new Persona games. Most of them are on my Switch wishlist (S-wishlist?)

SGF was pretty solid. Definitely dragged a bit, but prior years were painful with so many ads. Looking forward to Xbox on Sunday and a few of those smaller shows like Capcom (Dragon’s Dogma 2!!) and the Like A Dragon showcase, but really once Xbox is done the hype is on for Nintendo!

Grasshoper announcig the Shadow of the damned remastered before their event is a surprise to me

Because then why teased Flower Sun and Rain last year? I mean I suppose it can alsd happen

Fridays and weekends are awful because we know there won't be any Direct news. At least we know that Tuesday onwards is Prime Direct Country.

Nate commenting to stay tuned for more on a June direct?

Unless this is a fake account, but it says verified. Haven't seen this discussed here yet, but then again I haven't been following this thread religiously.
You should quote his actual post because the way you phrased it can be read quite differently as if it is certainly happening.

“I haven't given any comment on a Direct for June yet. Stay tuned.” - Nate if it is him.

This is consistent with his posts here. You can check the “who replied” feature to see all of his posts directly.

Edit: Appreciate the hunt for info to share with the thread to be clear. Just Nate has expressed many times how disappointed and frustrated he is when he is misquoted.

Last edited:
I guess this means Nate will exclusively use his Reddit persona to hint at directs since he said he has no interest in hinting at directs anymore here on Famiboards.

The best part of Everybody 1 2 Switch being announced was not the game of course, but the follow-up Z*ppo blog post wherein he states "This is something I told you people about well over a year ago. No one believed me, of course, and I totally just forgot about it." Never mind the fact that it was one of the worst kept secrets in the industry, with multiple insiders giving uncharacteristically detailed descriptions and a full expose by the trade press.

wasn't Shadow of the Damned owned by EA? It seems the Remaster is managed directly by Grassopphers, instead
Btw, Grassoppher DIrect on June 14th, Nintendo Direct can't catch a breath (will Suda support Switch also with this game?)

The best part of Everybody 1 2 Switch being announced was not the game of course, but the follow-up Z*ppo blog post wherein he states "This is something I told you people about well over a year ago. No one believed me, of course, and I totally just forgot about it." Never mind the fact that it was one of the worst kept secrets in the industry, with multiple insiders giving uncharacteristically detailed descriptions and a full expose by the trade press.

Emily leaked it on this website over 18 months ago. Hence, the Legend of the Stinky Horse.

wasn't Shadow of the Damned owned by EA? It seems the Remaster is managed directly by Grassopphers, instead
Btw, Grassoppher DIrect on June 14th, Nintendo Direct can't catch a breath (will Suda support Switch also with this game?)
He recently got his IP's back. Nobody knows who's remastering the game and how, but I don't think it's likely to hit Switch, just like Lollipop Chainsaw. PC/Xbox/PS5 is my guess.

If others are saying there’s a direct or hinting at a direct in June, then you, as insider, might as well come out and say it’s happening.

I can confirm as the resident pseudo insider the direct is happening this month.

He recently got his IP's back. Nobody knows who's remastering the game and how, but I don't think it's likely to hit Switch, just like Lollipop Chainsaw. PC/Xbox/PS5 is my guess.

thanks!
too bad, this is probably the only "modern" Suda game I haven't tried yet
Yes, I could get it on my Xbox Series S, but I rarely play on it (due to family gameplay behaviours...lol)

If others are saying there’s a direct or hinting at a direct in June, then you, as insider, might as well come out and say it’s happening.

I can confirm as the resident pseudo insider the direct is happening this month.
Capcom Presents

Resident Insider

Confirmed on Twitter that is Engine Software so there defintly chance for a Switch port

Nah that's still Marvelous. But it seems Suda doesn't have any issues with that.

Yeah that increases the chances but Suda's cryptic tweet is confusing as hell (i posted it on General thread)
Yeah that twett is worded very strangely

Im more surprised that this got the remaster before a game they teased multiple times (FSR) but that at least is for sure for Switch(fuck have probably chance to be announced in a direct)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom