• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure, I don't really understand wanting a new hype game for oneself every month anyway, I don't have time or money for that lol
Lmaooo nor do I. Give me a good game and I’ll play it for a few months, give me a great game and I’ll play it for years (looking at you BOTW).

Does everyone realize it has been 4 years since Metroid prime 4 has been rebooted? We will definitely see this game drop a trailer soon.
Ever since the reboot I've been saying we'll see it at E 3 2023, simply because Retro isn't exactly the fastest studio in the world + HD development just takes time. I also think they want to show it relatively close to finishing/release since they do not want to repeat a Metroid Prime 4 teaser situation. Only thing that now makes me think it might not happen is covid.

2022 had...
  1. Pokemon Legends Arceus, a brand new kind of Pokemon game that was super well received
  2. Kirby and the Forgotten Land, the 3D Kirby game everyone has wanted for years
  3. The return of Mario Strikers, which has good gameplay even if lacking in content
  4. The Wii Sports revival everyone was begging for
  5. A Fire Emblem Warriors game that's based one of the best games in the Switch's library
  6. Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Enough said.
  7. A Splatoon sequel that actually feels like a big step up
  8. Mario + Rabbids with a brand new combat system and open levels
  9. Tons of new tracks for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  10. Open world Pokemon
2017 had five big releases, but not much beyond that.
And Live a Live and Triangle Strategy, and Bayonetta 3. 2022 is legit so big, it's hard to keep track of all the releases. And to add onto what you said, I totally agree with Splatoon 3. It actually made me like Splatoon after 2 really soured my taste with it.

2019 was a bit smaller I suppose, but it was kind of like a 2017-2. It had more new releases, just less definitive GOTY contenders ... which I honestly kind of preferred?

It had:
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield
  • Astral Chain
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses
  • Link's Awakening Remake
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
Luigi's Mansion and Mario Maker rank among my favorite games on the system, and Link's Awakening and Astral Chain are very good. Three Houses has its flaws but ultimately I think I preferred it to most first party releases from 2017 too. Also the third party support started to really ramp up, it's not exactly fair because it's a collection of remasters but the Ace Attorney collection was genuinely more of a highlight to me than a Wii U port to fill in a gap. As well as games like Dragon Quest

Ever since the reboot I've been saying we'll see it at E 3 2023, simply because Retro isn't exactly the fastest studio in the world + HD development just takes time. I also think they want to show it relatively close to finishing/release since they do not want to repeat a Metroid Prime 4 teaser situation. Only thing that now makes me think it might not happen is covid.
I doubt the game started full production in 2019. Every project has a pre-production phase where they work out how everything will play. I wouldn't be surprised if they're only halfway done right now.

They should have at least a trailer if anything to show. Can they stay in the dark this long… it is retro so I think I answered my own question lol

They should have at least a trailer if anything to show. Can they stay in the dark this long… it is retro so I think I answered my own question lol
I really think they'll Metroid Dread it and announce it only a couple months before it's released. At the very least within 12 months. So yeah, I personally think they technically could show a lot but they choose not to because they want to make the debut a home run.

From my purchases 2019 was best year, following 2021 and 2022, then 2018 and 2017

We will see how 2023 turns out.

What are the chances of a new Mario game being announced at this direct to coincide with the movie release? It would be a smart move but Nintendo going to Nintendo in the end.
There's always a possibility for a new Mario release. The question just remains "what type?".

I'll say this, though: I wasn't joking about how Mario Musou may very well be a thing, some day soon and I still think it makes a lot of sense to do it. Not only because it may be another worthwhile Mario spinoff to add in since we've already exhausted almost everything else. But much like how a game based off of BOTW ended up being Koei's best selling Musou game to date, you're never going to get a better chance for a larger audience on your product than by releasing it in the same calendar year as the Mario movie itself.

Additionally, if it's based off the Movie's universe (or in a tangentially, Koei-derived take on the Mario world), then perhaps Nintendo would similarly relax rules about Mario and co speaking full sentences and Peach being able to fight, as well.

There's always a possibility for a new Mario release. The question just remains "what type?".

I'll say this, though: I wasn't joking about how Mario Musou may very well be a thing, some day soon and I still think it makes a lot of sense to do it. Not only because it may be another worthwhile Mario spinoff to add in since we've already exhausted almost everything else. But much like how a game based off of BOTW ended up being Koei's best selling Musou game to date, you're never going to get a better chance for a larger audience on your product than by releasing it in the same calendar year as the Mario movie itself.

Additionally, if it's based off the Movie's universe (or in a tangentially, Koei-derived take on the Mario world), then perhaps Nintendo would similarly relax rules about Mario and co speaking full sentences and Peach being able to fight, as well.
I’d say no, but that is only my opinion.

Firstly, Zelda with its combat is generally a more suited franchise for a musou translation. Whereas Mario doesn’t fit, it wouldn’t seem within his universe to have realistic combat and weapons. You could try to do a cartoony-type musou, but would it not detract from the main “war combat/battle aspect? Secondly, what does Nintendo gain? Mario is a far bigger franchise. Koei would need to heavily incentivize the deal, and I’m of the opposing opinion, Nintendo would not “relax the rules.” So ultimately you’re asking Koei to create a totally new type of game. In a similar manner to the rabbid games. While it conceptually could work would it even be a musou at that point? So why Koei?

I doubt the game started full production in 2019. Every project has a pre-production phase where they work out how everything will play. I wouldn't be surprised if they're only halfway done right now.
Funny thing when I was watching some YouTube before bed. Doctre put this up yesterday:

Long story short, but I wouldnt be surprised if Prime 4 is closer than we may think. Especially if they're already starting to move on to their next project (Prime 5? Something new and original at last?).

I’d say no, but that is only my opinion.

Firstly, Zelda with its combat is generally a more suited franchise for a musou translation. Whereas Mario doesn’t fit, it wouldn’t seem within his universe to have realistic combat and weapons. You could try to do a cartoony-type musou, but would it not detract from the main “war combat/battle aspect? Secondly, what does Nintendo gain? Mario is a far bigger franchise. Koei would need to heavily incentivize the deal, and I’m of the opposing opinion, Nintendo would not “relax the rules.” So ultimately you’re asking Koei to create a totally new type of game. In a similar manner to the rabbid games. While it conceptually could work would it even be a musou at that point? So why Koei?

I mean, almost everything you speak of is something that a team at Squaresoft found an answer for almost 30 years ago, and has since been the basic model to follow for what you can do to make Mario "fit". For example, you don't need to have Mario use a sword, he can use his fists or a hammer, instead. When done well, it fully flows within the spirit of the brand, and is the very reason we can enjoy Mario RPG spinoffs to this day.

As for "what Nintendo would gain from it"? Well, the same reason they allow Mario to have done all sorts of things that often don't make sense, but may end up being blessings in disguise, for how some of those ventures worked out.

You might as well be asking why they allowed Mario to be in a game where he could punch Pikachu in the face, be included as a guest star in a NBA game (which in turn, only inspired more Mario sports games), and now have not one, but TWO games where he and his gang pal around with the friggin Rabbids, of all things. WHILE WEILDING GUNS, I may add.:ROFLMAO:

Guys. Stardew Valley came to Switch in 2017. That makes 2017 so much better on its own.

In all seriousness, personally, 2017 was the best year. Last year and 2019 were right there as well. For me 2017 had quality. 2019 and last year had quantity.

2019 also had quirky new things like Tetris 99, The Stretchers, and Cadence of Hyrule. Along with Ring Fit Adventure and Astral Chain, it was a great year for new ideas from Nintendo; new takes on classic IP as well as radically different kinds of new IP.

Personally I think Prime 4 is going to be an early Switch 2 exclusive that is a graphical showcase, showing off what the system is capable of.

Prime 4 doesn’t have to be close. It could be done and still not release for another year because that’s what Nintendo’s business want to do.
I bet they download the finished game onto a single cartridge and then fire it into space and only release the game commercially when humanity has the technology to recover it from space.

Gun to head, I’d probably say 2017 > 2019 > 2022. 2022 definitely had the most Nintendo releases, but the quality felt a bit sporadic, and a lot of them were sequels to games that already had entries on the Switch. 2019 had fewer games, but they maintained a higher level of quality (mostly) and were almost all for franchises unrepresented on the Switch at the time.

2017 was a bit lacking in both consistency and quantity, but they put out three slam dunk games, along with some other great stuff like Splatoon 2, MK8D, and (kinda) Mario + Rabbids. One fantastic game counts for multiple great ones in my book, so Zelda alone carries a ton of weight here.

I bet they download the finished game onto a single cartridge and then fire it into space and only release the game commercially when humanity has the technology to recover it from space.

47f.gif

Personally I think Prime 4 is going to be an early Switch 2 exclusive that is a graphical showcase, showing off what the system is capable of.
I still don't think they will screw over Switch owners completely like that.

Cross-platform, the game looks good on both, but "Switch 2" will take further advantage of the more powerful hardware. And be 60fps.

Team January in shambles lol

EDIT: but honestly, this is most likely just Nate saying he doesn't think the Direct is in January. They've been in February for a few years, now, after all.

Last edited:
maybe I've just been at this too long, but is anyone else starting to get bored?

on February 8 or 9 Nintendo will have a Nintendo Direct that features a mediocre Mario sport game, tons of thirty second ads for late ports, DLC for their evergreens, and a few remasters. eventually their new system will be launched with 3D Mario, then Mario Kart, then Smash Bros. this repeats until we all grow old and die.

I'd much rather focus on and believe in the unpredictable Nintendo, even if I'm always wrong. In fact, I'd rather the Direct be in March than February

Team January in shambles lol

EDIT: but honestly, this is most likely just Nate saying he doesn't think the Direct is in January. They've been in February for a few years, now, after all.
I've said on Twitter a few times that I'm not aware of any Direct this month. Doesn't mean there isn't one, of course; but I haven't heard of one.

maybe I've just been at this too long, but is anyone else starting to get bored?

on February 8 or 9 Nintendo will have a Nintendo Direct that features a mediocre Mario sport game, tons of thirty second ads for late ports, DLC for their evergreens, and a few remasters. eventually their new system will be launched with 3D Mario, then Mario Kart, then Smash Bros. this repeats until we all grow old and die.

I'd much rather focus on and believe in the unpredictable Nintendo, even if I'm always wrong. In fact, I'd rather the Direct be in March than February
I get what you mean but I feel like you're boiling stuff down to be predictable rather than everything actually being predictable. You can't tell me you predicted the contents of Mario Odyssey completely for example. Or Smash's roster.

And honestly if you'd rather focus on the unpredictable, do that. I believe that still exists. Focussing on that part that is fun for you + games you look forward to like Pikmin sounds like a good plan I feel like. Dream of Rhythm Heaven with me.

If you keep this up Miyamoto will cancel Pikmin 4 and greenlight Doshin the Giant 2 as the replacement game

This struck a thought in me, in few years, let's say 4-5 years the Direct format still exists, but of course it's changed as it always changes but the idea of speculation thread in that future indeed does sound boring when you imagine that some people will no longer be interested in this.

My fellow Team January devotees and I do not recognize historical patterns, insider knowledge, nor the concept of tempered expectations, we have hype.

I know I’m a bit late to the annual Switch year ranking session, but I wanted to give my two cents:

2017 is still the best year of the Switch for me. Sure, it might not have had as high a quantity of first-party releases, but the games that did come out were some of my personal favorites of all time. I mean how often has Nintendo put out not one, but two GOTY nominees in a single year? Now ARMS may not have have delivered as a video game, but as a new fictional universe full of fun wacky characters it enthralled many, including myself, and I hope we see it again soon, or at least more new franchises like it. I know many have already mentioned that 2017 was largely carried by the optimism surrounding the Switch’s launch, and while that is true to an extent, I’ll still fondly remember the feelings of excitement I felt during the Switch’s first year, feelings that admittedly I have seldom felt since.

All that being said, I think 2022 was a stellar year, and the closest to 2017 by far. 2022 gave us Kirby’s fantastic first foray into 3D, surprising but welcome revivals of both Wii Sports and Mario Strikers, a fun new Splatoon game with a great new atmosphere and the best campaign in the series thus far, another Mario + Rabbids that managed to surpass the original’s brilliant combat system, and a promising step forward in the Pokémon series, and those are just the games I’ve played.

I’m not really sure what point I was trying to make there. I think I started rambling towards the end 😅 In case you were curious, the rest of my Switch years are as follows (I don’t have anything nearly as interesting to say about them): 2019 > 2020 > 2018 > 2021

Psst, so like, 2021 was actually my favourite year of the Switch to date, like, I was super into pretty much every release, and as the year went on games kept releasing at a faster and faster pace.

Like, I was totally ready for 2022 to keep things up, with the games being even bigger and better, but after Kirby and Legends, everything I was interested in checking out didn’t really leave an impact on me, and either felt really samey or half baked (I played every major Nintendo release in the past two years aside from Xenoblade 3, Warriors, Switch Sports, SoH, and Brain Age btw)

I don't know my favourite year of the Switch but my favourite times must have been the time around Animal Crossing. That's the only time I remember a game specifically heightening my mood for weeks and maybe even months.

idk, team february is just too strong

2022 2 9
2021 2 17

2020 3 26
2019 2 13
2018 1 11
2017 4 12

I'd like things to be different this year just for the sake of these threads

My fellow Team January devotees and I do not recognize historical patterns, insider knowledge, nor the concept of tempered expectations, we have hype.
I just still go for the idea that it sounds pretty foolish to wait til possibly February to talk about the likes of Bayonetta Origins some more.

Like great, you gave it the "grand stage" that was the TGAs, last month. Now, what? You still got some that think it's an indie title, and others that are balking at the idea it's a full-priced release. Hell, even I'm merely guessing at it being an overhead Zelda-like, for lack of any further info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom