• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Team February when they realized Team January was right :

giphy.gif
I like the implication that Team February is more concerned with Directs specifically being in the month of February as opposed to getting Directs at any other time of year.

What are the chances of a new Mario game being announced at this direct to coincide with the movie release? It would be a smart move but Nintendo going to Nintendo in the end.
Could be. But hope is dwindling fast. They could reveal it with the Direct and market it heavily with the movie and in the theater with the movie showing.

My guess is that Nintendo really wants the movie to be successful in the cinema.

They could reveal it with the Direct and market it heavily with the movie and in the theater with the movie showing.
You know how every music video now has a blatant product placement shot of someone using a new phone or playing a specific mobile game?

Get ready for a hanging shot in the Mario movie of some kid playing the upcoming Mario game. 👍

I don't actually expect this at all, it was just a cynical passing thought

You know how every music video now has a blatant product placement shot of someone using a new phone or playing a specific mobile game?

Get ready for a hanging shot in the Mario movie of some kid playing the upcoming Mario game. 👍

I really don't expect a game. Imo, I think after the first half or March until April will have bo 1st party game nor 3rd party collaboration because they really want the movie to be a hit. That said, if a Mario game were to happen, they could easily market both at the same time. Kinda like what Sony is doing with the Spiderman media.

Camera focuses on a young Toad playing a game
can't see the screen
F-Zero noises are heard

What are the chances of a new Mario game being announced at this direct to coincide with the movie release? It would be a smart move but Nintendo going to Nintendo in the end.

I get what you are saying, but realistically anyone that is going to buy a Mario game strictly because of the Mario movie have at least five Mario platformers to choose from on Switch.

Edit: Witcher 3 performance alongside its media adaption is a prime example that new software is not needed alongside successful media releases. Also that other game from CD projekt Red, but that doesn't deserve a mention.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying, but realistically anyone that is going to buy a Mario game strictly because of the Mario movie have at least five Mario platformers to choose from on Switch.
Which is exactly what Nintendo will promote I bet lol. Maybe do a little 25% sale lol. And not just the platformers. He has a whole slew of spinoffs haha.

I truly believe this year will be the closest. We have Engage, Zelda and Pikmin. Pikmin is obviously the lowest rung on the ladder of success, but a well designed Pikmin game can be truly special for the core crowd. Thrown in MonkEPD and the rumored remasters, such as Metroid Prime and FZero, and hell, for me that tops 2017.
I do agree. This year has that potential.

Just with talk of the Switch successor on the horizon, I was just thinking back to always seeing potential and never seeing the fruit of it (and this is obviously to my specific tastes, and I totally get how people might think differently).

I own more Switch games than I ever have on any other console for the last 33 years. That’s saying something about the output on it, but nothing that blew my mind like BOTW and Odyssey (and Dread).

i feel like people overhype 2017 a lot, having botw, odyssey, splatoon 2 and xenoblade 2 in one year was great but the almost 5ish month gap from botw to splatoon where all we got was 1-2 switch, mk8 ported with no new tracks and ARMS was rough, as were the 4ish months between splatoon and odyssey where we got a pokken tournament port and a disappointing fire emblem warriors

botw and odyssey are still the best switch games but idk if id call 2017 great as a whole just because they were there

Was it ever rumoured that Konami metal gear remakes and silent hill were headed over to Nintendo Switch?
Honestly, there's a small chance that they're Switch exclusive, especially 2 and 3. Nvidia Lightspeed, who recently ported Portal to Switch, also ported Metal Gear Solid 2-3 and Rising to Nvidia Shiled along with Portal and Half Life so there's a chance that their next Switch port is them. And since Switch is the only Nvidia console system out there, these ports might be just on Switch. Just like Portal.

i honestly think 2022 was the best switch year for me by a pretty wide margin. no single game was as outstanding as 2017's standouts but with legends arceus, triangle strategy, kirby, three hopes, live a live, xenoblade 3, splatoon 3, sparks of hope, bayonetta 3 and scarlet/violet i never went more than a few weeks without having something great to play outside of q2

I feel like we’ve never had a year like 2017. With BOTW, MK8D, Odyssey, I feel like launch year was peak Switch. Not saying there haven’t been decent years in between, but I romanticized the development of all Nintendo’s teams being focused on one console.

2021 brought Dread, and last year brought Scarlet and Violet (my favorite Pokémon games ever).

Getting BOTW and Odyssey in one year was just super special.
That happened because Nintendo constantly delayed BOTW several times, and delayed it once more in 2016 so it could coincide with the Switch in 2017. A new 3D Mario was due out by 2017 after 3D World came out in 2013. 2017 was really only good because Nintendo forced it to be good. We had to suffer through the awful 2016 and to a lesser extent 2015 in order to get 2017 as well. Yeah, 2017 was fantastic, but once you look at the context of why it was, then you realize that matching that quality of output again is nearly impossible. It was the perfect recipe for a phenomenal year to happen, but obviously came at the cost of 2 very weak prior years and Nintendo's arguably 3 best teams (EPD 8, EPD 3, Monolith Soft) delaying or releasing their next titles in the same year. Every year since 2017 has been very solid anyway, and nowhere near the lows of 2015 and 2016.

Also there was no way that the Switch would match the output of 2 systems. Comparing the 240p, Gamecube level 3DS to the HD 1080p Switch is apples and oranges. Expecting double the output was never gonna happen. Despite that, Switch has still had a very good quantity of games all considering, and is definitely better than 1 individual system's total output like Gamecube or Wii U. But double the output is nothing but a pipe dream, and we will be even further from that dream once Nintendo is dealing with PS4/ PS4 Pro level power. Games just take longer to make, and putting all of their effort into 1 system was not gonna change the output's quantity. It just now reveals that working on 2 system's at the same time wasn't working anymore, and we got a good taste of that during the Wii U/ 3DS days.

i feel like people overhype 2017 a lot, having botw, odyssey, splatoon 2 and xenoblade 2 in one year was great but the almost 5ish month gap from botw to splatoon where all we got was 1-2 switch, mk8 ported with no new tracks and ARMS was rough, as were the 4ish months between splatoon and odyssey where we got a pokken tournament port and a disappointing fire emblem warriors

botw and odyssey are still the best switch games but idk if id call 2017 great as a whole just because they were there
I think that a lot of what made 2017 great was with the entire industry as a whole, not just Switch. So when talking about it being a great Switch year (which it still was!) some of that feeling from other console games bleeds over. It was just such a monumentally amazing year for gaming that it's hard not to let that sway you at least a bit.

There was also Arms (had its fans), MArio + Rabids, FE Wariors, revival of Bomberman. even if many hyped releases did not have the impact people hoped, there where a lot of releases that where hyped back then. this makes 2017 seem even higher, coming from wii u and having those things.

I also think 2017 on switch is slightly overhyped. Still a great year.

I've long felt that 2017 is looked back on so fondly because of our unabated hope for the future

My perception is that Nintendo went all in on 2017 because they had no choice. They just had to make Switch a success out of the gate. It was pretty much do or die. Of course they aligned and saved up mainline Mario and Zelda in the same year, as well as porting MK8 and releasing Splatoon 2 to boot.

Once the Switch started to sell gangbusters, it felt like they sort of rested on their laurels a bit, with 2018 being, in my opinion, a bit lacklustre until Smash came around. (We got, like, Star Allies and Crafted World?)

My perception is that Nintendo went all in on 2017 because they had no choice. They just had to make Switch a success out of the gate. It was pretty much do or die. Of course they aligned and saved up mainline Mario and Zelda in the same year, as well as porting MK8 and releasing Splatoon 2 to boot.

Once the Switch started to sell gangbusters, it felt like they sort of rested on their laurels a bit, with 2018 being, in my opinion, a bit lacklustre until Smash came around. (We got, like, Star Allies and Crafted World?)
Crafted World was 2019. Nintendo's other big exclusive in 2018 was Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. I agree with you that it was a pretty subpar year comparatively, at least in terms of exclusives (though I actually did like Let's Go, admittedly). Smash Bros. definitely did a lot of heavy lifting though because that game was absolutely massive. I think for the majority of 2018, even before Smash Bros. came out, most Switch owners were just so amped up on the hype for that game that they didn't mind a relatively lacking library.

2018 was Kirby, Mario Tennis, Sushi Striker, multiple Labo releases and Wii U ports, followed by Torna, Let's Go, Super Mario Party, and Smash to round out the year. For me, it was definitely the weakest first party year, but they still got a variety of brands and genres out. A lot of middle tier and smaller games, numerous ports, a big idea that didn't pan out and some really big games to finish the year. Coming off of EPD really carrying 2017 with 3 blockbusters, a couple of new IPs, and Kart 8 DX, it's no wonder 2018 leant on subsidiaries, ports, and experimental stuff. Nintendo did have the sense though to end the year with a killer line up (in commercial terms, at the very least).

I'd put 2022 and 2019 up there with, and perhaps slightly higher than, 2017. I'd agree few games have touched Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, but the cumulative range and quality of new stuff in 2019 and 2022 was really excellent. 2021 I'd probably put ahead of 2020, and both those years might edge 2018 for me. Probably tough to call between 2020 and 2018 as the weakest Nintendo year on Switch.

While 2024 makes the most sense for new hardware consider this. Conventional wisdom and many people suggest that once MK8D DLC waves finally run out, then new hardware will launch. This seems very reasonable.

Now, a counterpoint to that could be...launch new hardware during the final DLC wave, as it will be AFTER many people renew their membership in September. Then if the launch software it tight...launch hardware and software in Oct/Nov with ToTK enhanced and one other big 1st party title & a handful of 3rd parties.

You would have already had many existing users renew the membership, and it gives Nintendo time to launch a bigger online title after launch. Say MP4 in March 2024. Still during the launch window and at the end of the fiscal year. Gives you another boost of NSO memberships before the end of the fiscal year. Animal Crossing did this upon release.

I'm not saying this will happen but hearing analyst talk about adoption rate of NSO memberships, this seems like an idea that they would discuss

If this was the case, I assume they would announce new hardware in June or July for October/November release. The reveal to release will be short, like Apple. But not as close as Apple does.

I've long felt that 2017 is looked back on so fondly because of our unabated hope for the future
that's definitely true, there was definitely a common belief that 2017 was just the beginning of the fruits that nintendo merging EAD and SPD would bear. 6 years later we still have no follow up from the teams behind breath of the wild or mario odyssey.

My dream announcement for a direct would be a square * Nintendo collaboration on remaking Super Mario Rpg: Legend of the 7 Stars!

Edit: is there a reason it’s not on NSO?

Last edited:
My dream announcement for a direct would be a square * Nintendo collaboration on remaking Super Mario Rpg: Legend of the 7 Stars!

Edit: is there a reason it’s not on NSO?
There really isn't one, which gives me hope for the future. Nintendo has been remaking a lot of games recently....

Finallysomeonewhoagreeswithme.tm

As someone who didn't get a Switch until June of 2017, even then the wait between releases sucked. A lot of the month to month releases were ports, so if you had a Wii U you were in for disappointment. The third party support was good, but even then it really was a slow trickle and if you weren't interested in rebuying games like Skyrim or only purchasing games that really fit the Switch ecosystem, your big hits were ... what, Sonic Mania and Golf Story? A lot of the games simply didn't do it either for me, which I know is personal preference but still. Splatoon 2 felt very disappointing, Mario + Rabbids proved that good gameplay can only carry an otherwise extremely bland game so far, and Arms, while good, didn't keep me coming back for more outside of the initial few hours. Also, people have a really bad habit of just pretending like 2017 was a ~9 month period, when the first 3 months of 2018 were very bare outside of Kirby, which wasn't even that good.

I guess what I'm saying is that, 2017 for the Switch feels like a very impressive year if you just looked at a spreadsheet of releases, but in terms of actually being there? It was very eh, and I think a lot of the hype comes from people being all in on Nintendo and enjoying the turnaround. Breath of the Wild was amazing and Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, despite some faults, were pretty good, but that was pretty much it. Of course, this whole post is just personal preference on my part, which I don't feel I should even have to specify, but I will just in case.

Now 2019 and 2022 on the other hand? chefs kiss

that's definitely true, there was definitely a common belief that 2017 was just the beginning of the fruits that nintendo merging EAD and SPD would bear. 6 years later we still have no follow up from the teams behind breath of the wild or mario odyssey.
Fruit takes time to grow.

2022 is the best year the Switch has had by a significant margin. Several major titles, several smaller titles, and a giant DLC expansion for the biggest game in the Switch's library.

this along with it being the switch launch year (which started in march!). Good chunk of previous launch years were ass. Having 2017 as 1) a launch year, 2) a beacon of hope and 3) as contrast to the end of the Wii U was goated. Looking back it still had 3 GOATs (Botw, mk8d, odyssey), but it also had arms so I guess it was mid

2022 is the best year the Switch has had by a significant margin. Several major titles, several smaller titles, and a giant DLC expansion for the biggest game in the Switch's library.
Not anecdotally, it has been one of my least engaged years, if not THE least. Very little released has enticed me, personally.

But to add on to the 2017 discussion, when I got my Switch in May 2017 the eshop had like 20 games (hyperbole, but barely) and nothing that interested me came out until I got Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 in September lol

it was a lot of chilling on the eshop and title screen for the first couple months for me and my cousin, of course that changed dramatically relatively quickly

2022 had...
  1. Pokemon Legends Arceus, a brand new kind of Pokemon game that was super well received
  2. Kirby and the Forgotten Land, the 3D Kirby game everyone has wanted for years
  3. The return of Mario Strikers, which has good gameplay even if lacking in content
  4. The Wii Sports revival everyone was begging for
  5. A Fire Emblem Warriors game that's based one of the best games in the Switch's library
  6. Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Enough said.
  7. A Splatoon sequel that actually feels like a big step up
  8. Mario + Rabbids with a brand new combat system and open levels
  9. Tons of new tracks for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  10. Open world Pokemon
2017 had five big releases, but not much beyond that.

But to add on to the 2017 discussion, when I got my Switch in May 2017 the eshop had like 20 games (hyperbole, but barely) and nothing that interested me came out until I got Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 in September lol

it was a lot of chilling on the eshop and title screen for the first couple months for me and my cousin, of course that changed dramatically relatively quickly
And such is why console generations are NOT one size fits all. The experience one has is heavily correlated to the type of games one enjoys and of course “when” in the life cycle such games are released. Thus, is the reasoning behind diversifying releases. There will undoubtedly always be “droughts”, but given the nature of the beast it is mitigated by ensuring all consumers don’t experience the same “droughts” uniformly.

EDIT: Hence we have wildly differing perspectives on certain years. Objectively it doesn’t matter how many releases the Nintendo Switch has had IF they don’t interest certain consumers. A consumers “best year” will inherently be the year they played the most games that they enjoyed. Simple.

And such is why console generations are NOT one size fits all. The experience one has is heavily correlated to the type of games one enjoys and of course “when” in the life cycle such games are released. Thus, is the reasoning behind diversifying releases. There will undoubtedly always be “droughts”, but given the nature of the beast it is mitigated by ensuring all consumers don’t experience the same “droughts” uniformly.

EDIT: Hence we have wildly differing perspectives on certain years. Objectively it doesn’t matter how many releases the Nintendo Switch has had IF they don’t interest certain consumers. A consumers “best year” will inherently be the year they played the most games that they enjoyed. Simple.
For sure, I don't really understand wanting a new hype game for oneself every month anyway, I don't have time or money for that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom