• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The video sold me dream about a crazy ambitious never made Star Fox game until the very end when it actually reveals it was just a design doc barely finished that Nintendo probably never even knew about lol

I like the pitch though because I want Star Fox to stay an on-ship shooter, to stay true to its arcade rail shooter roots.
I think that this "desire" to have Starfox remain an 100% on rail shooter is what killed( or is killing) the franchise. I like on rails shooters, but there is so much more to do with the franchise, that this desire to remain true to the roots is what is holding it back.

And that's what so good about this pitch: It seems that it wanted to blend the on-rails segments of 64 with a more open ended structure through "missions", in which not only you would be able to tackle a lot of them in different orders(So the structure wouldn't be so rigid) but also the missions themselves seemed to vary between different structures/types themselves. The dev said in the pitch that he wanted for players to invade, Dark Souls style, other people games. Well, if all missions were on rails, that wouldn't be possible. The ones that would be possible, however, would be the ones that you could control fox in a fully 3D enviromemt.Like the All Wings mode segments of 64. This meant that the pitch meant for these missions to be a way more even split between on-rails, fully controllable dog fights, or even a big open area in which you would explore, fight, and do objectives. In which the last 2 mission structures would be were the multiplayer angle of this pitch would come in(probably).

I am of the personal opinion that Starlink was an excelent blueprint for a future Starfox game.The problem with that game was that it was an Ubisoft game(And all the generic and structural problems that comes with it) and that Starfox was tackled in. If Nintendo copied the core idea behind Starlink(Free roaming space with explorable worlds, seemingly flying into each one) and made everything between them(Combat, structure, story, music) up to Nintendo's standard.... God, we would have an 10/10 game right there.

Starfox needs its BOTW moment. Otherwise it will be forever shackled to its glorious past.

What are you guys playing right now so we can Wait Faster?
I'm replaying Octopath Traveller, I will begin the chapters 2 today
BOTW a bit to wander around and see what areas may be changed in TOTK, also Hollow Knight as I gotta finish it before Silksong. On PS4 ive still been playing Forbidden West as its one of my favorite open worlds, also Ghost of Tshushima.

But most of my gaming time has been spent here lol

BOTW a bit to wander around and see what areas may be changed in TOTK, also Hollow Knight as I gotta finish it before Silksong. On PS4 ive still been playing Forbidden West as its one of my favorite open worlds, also Ghost of Tshushima.

But most of my gaming time has been spent here lol
One day I’ll pick up a ps5 and buy all those games for cheap and have a hell of a good time!

Nintendo never even saw it, though. It was just a design doc that Retro themselves decided to pass on.
Retro passed on it, not Nintendo.

Didn't realize that. Still moving forward that planned sounds great and it would be nice to see a Star Fox with that ambition level. I think it would do very well. Maybe tie it in with an animated series that releases around the same time. Could help make Star Fox popular again.

That Retro Studios Star Fox project sounded like what the franchises needed and Nintendo said no lol.
The video makes it sound like a way bigger deal than it actually was.

It was just a pitch doc made by a single designer that never became more than that, a very early pitch with a lot of ambition that probably wouldn't have been even half that ambitious if actually greenlighted and made. The multiplayer component especially sound a bit too optimistic. The pitch straight up talk about making it Nintendo's Team Fortress 2 lol
I think Retro's higher ups should have give it a better chance by assigning a few other designers to work on the pitch and polish it up, but it never went past those higher ups.

Yeah, the game is made by just two Swedish guys and they're very active on reddit. They told there that the game should be exclusive to Xbox for some period of time. But the good news is that it's being ported by Fishlabs, a studio who's very familiar with Switch. I'm guessing Switch will get it at the same time the game comes out of Early Access.

We might see The Raft on Switch before that, possibly in the coming Direct. Both are very similar games.
I know this is almost habitual (or at least I always seem to notice it), but for all the times I doompost about what's impossible and what is unlikely to come to Switch, you always have some logical posts to confirm that my negativity gets the better of me at times and that with a little bit of realism and insight into existing public knowledge the forecast isn't so dire despite my lack of patience and in short I just want to say thank you for being a member here I regularly interact with haha

I really think it's only 2nd to last as a fake-out before a surprise "one more thing", or the actual closer. If it opens the Direct, I can't even imagine what else Nintendo has in store for this presentation.
A reason I’m leaning opener is because, while we don’t know much about the game, everyone is expecting it. It’s time to ramp up, it’s only three months away. Could get it out of the way and open the direct with a bang

The closing games are usually more surprising, further out.

But at the same time, presenting it as the very first thing would probably lessen people’s attention the rest of the direct lol

Take the purple pill for "NINTENDO GO BIG AND CONFIRM MOST 2023 FIRST PARTY RELEASES"

Take the yellow pill for "nintendo go smol apart from Zelda and leave everybody panicking about the second half 2023"

Take both pills for 43 minutes of Wario noises
Where’s “I’m only expecting Zelda for big things, and that’s so good that I’m not gonna worry about the second half til June”

A reason I’m leaning opener is because, while we don’t know much about the game, everyone is expecting it. It’s time to ramp up, it’s only three months away. Could get it out of the way and open the direct with a bang
There's no way people will be able to concentrate on the direct if you start with TotK, especially if it's a long trailer showing more of the gameplay loop and Link's new tools. People will just be talking about it on twitter as soon as the Zelda segment is over, they won't be focused on the direct anymore.

That's why it's still going to close the direct. You end the direct with the big one, and Zelda TotK is the biggest game since Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey.

Zelda's the closer because a ton of people are tuning in just to see it and will dip once it's been seen. Make 'em sit through the cloud ports and licensed schlock first instead of telling them to leave five minutes in

There's no way people will be able to concentrate on the direct if you start with TotK, especially if it's a long trailer showing more of the gameplay loop and Link's new tools. People will just be talking about it on twitter as soon as the Zelda segment is over, they won't be focused on the direct anymore.

That's why it's still going to close the direct. You end the direct with the big one, and Zelda TotK is the biggest game since Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey.
Zelda's the closer because a ton of people are tuning in just to see it and will dip once it's been seen. Make 'em sit through the cloud ports and licensed schlock first instead of telling them to leave five minutes in

If they have Metroid Prime(s) to reveal those will be the closer in my opinion. Yes people are interested to see Zelda as the headliner but they are also curious to see what Nintendo is cooking. Everybody expects Zelda at this point so they can put it wherever in the direct, my money is on the opener.

A Metroid Prime of some variety is an opener to get people's attention and make them think the endeavor will be worthwhile outside of TotK, TotK is the closer once disappointment has set in. Those don't work in reverse, you get people leaving when TotK transitions to Disney's Magic Playhouse and then they miss your epic Metroid Prime reveal

• Metroid opener
  • Stuff
  • Melts-your-brain TotK trailer
  • One more thing... HW price drop

BOOM
Swap the places of the hardware price drop and the TotK trailer and this might happen and if it does it will be the best Direct since E3 2021.

It must be hard to keep track - being the uncle that works at Nintendo - you’re probably the reason for all of the leaks!

ced2eff6-61b6-4f94-8872-c2196dfd825d.webp

As this will be my first Direct here where I have an account, I would like to apologize in advance for my future freaking out when Metroid Prime HD or Metroid Prime 4 is shown. Especially for Prime 4.

There's a lot of stuff pointing to a Direct happening this week. Can't say specifically cause I can't remember either lol, but the vibes are definitely there and we're all predictably very excited :)
TUESDAY 7 ND ????

It's been over two weeks since Atlus released the Persona ports and they have been strangely silent about their next title; it would be exciting if their next announcement was in the Direct.

Here are my predictions/hopes.

Opening

• Metroid Prime - Definitive Edition (7.21.2023)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (teaser plus confirmation that it will be shown later this year) (2024)

Headlines

• Octopath Traveler 2 - demo immediately after the direct (2.24.2023)
  • Atelier Ryza 3 (3.24.2023)
  • Outer Wilds - available immediately after the direct.
  • Trinity Trigger (Summer 2023)
  • Digimon World Next Order (2.22.2023)

Main

- ARMS 2 (6.23.2023)

Headlines

• Kirby's Return to Dreamland (2.24.2023) demo available immediately after the direct
  • Shin Megami Tensei 4 Remastered (6.9.2023)
  • Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp (4.7.2023)
  • Mario Kart 8 Wave 4 DLC (3.31.2023)
  • Xenoblade Chornicles Wave 3 DLC (3.3.2023)
  • Splatoon 3 New Season Update

Main

- F Zero (8.18.2023)

Headlines

• Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D (Fall 2023)
  • The Witcher 2 (4.14.2023)
  • Red Dead Redemption (7.7.2023)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (Cloud Version) Fall 2023.
-Bayonetta 3 Origins (3.24.2023)

Main

- NSO Update: GB and GBA games are coming to Nintendo Switch (3.10.2023)

- Silksong (5.26.2023)

Sizzle Reel

Fatal Frame, Theatrythm, Tales of Symphonia, Rune Factory 3, Fitness Boxing, Minecraft Legends, Fae Farm

Final Reveals

- Golden Sun Remake (9.15.2023)

- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Story Trailer

- TotK OLED and Collectors Editions of the game

Yea it's probably the week now they haven't moved the september and february direct so much during the Switch era. There is a great chance it happens this week. FINALLY some Zelda content JESUS

There's a lot of stuff pointing to a Direct happening this week. Can't say specifically cause I can't remember either lol, but the vibes are definitely there and we're all predictably very excited :)
Yeah there was Grubb saying a direct probably this week, then Nate yesterday basically confirmed it.

Week after at the latest but very likely in a few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom