• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that this "desire" to have Starfox remain an 100% on rail shooter is what killed( or is killing) the franchise. I like on rails shooters, but there is so much more to do with the franchise, that this desire to remain true to the roots is what is holding it back.
I tend to think this too. This arbitrary rule of keeping Fox in the Arwing cockpit doesn't mean much when you have games like Command and Zero that are arguably the worst in the franchise, or at the very least did more to kill it than Adventures or Assault ever did.
If the next Star Fox doesn't have Krystal then I don't want it.
Honestly yeah, I want to see a Star Fox post-Assault (and not acknowledge Command). If they can do a sequel to Metroid Fusion decades later, they can do a sequel to Assault too. Plus, the whole rebuilding Corneria/Lylat System works just as well - if not better - post-Aparoid invasion.
The video makes it sound like a way bigger deal than it actually was.

It was just a pitch doc made by a single designer that never became more than that, a very early pitch with a lot of ambition that probably wouldn't have been even half that ambitious if actually greenlighted and made. The multiplayer component especially sound a bit too optimistic. The pitch straight up talk about making it Nintendo's Team Fortress 2 lol
I think Retro's higher ups should have give it a better chance by assigning a few other designers to work on the pitch and polish it up, but it never went past those higher ups.
Nintendo's online multiplayer is so hit or miss I don't know if they could do something like this on Switch, as much as I'd love to see it. Seems like Miiverse was truly remarkable for them, and showed a lot of promise, and now we play the game of 'will the online be a mess or not?' game with their output on Switch.

I wonder about Retro's management. Are the same people in charge today? Maybe newer management would be more open to ideas. Seems former devs that DYKG has interviewed had frustrations with how the studio was run.

Me when the Direct ends without any signs of Metroid Prime for the fifth year in a row:

dd578281ca438358a18c75ee4c8537b5.gif

Guys... GUYS... next week you're going to see a very meaty Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom trailer and it's going to BLOW YOUR MIND with the insanity and awesomeness Nintendo is about to unleash upon us AND other awesome games you will be excited for.

Are you people ready?

I SAID

ARE YOU PEOPLE READY???

Maybe I'm late to the conversation, but I was thinking, maybe Star Fox it's a franchise we give too much credit, but in reality it's not something that is appealing to general public anymore, at least this generation, and it would appeal to us, who actively remember it and talk about it, who are the minority of the switch install base.

Just a thought I wanted to share.

One thing Direct 'leaks' always miss are the random-ass showcases of games that aren't really popular enough to be 'wanted' in a Direct. Even when they try to be clever it's always shit that's got an established 'gamer' fanbase, or things is more-or-less known to be coming to Switch.

We never see shit like (making up some names here) "Bluey Kart Adventure," or "Lego Friends Fashion Explorers," or "Disney's JumpTown," in these leaks because nobody's excited for those kinda games. That's despite those sorts of games always showing up in Directs cause, you know, they're marketing events that don't care about the specific wants and desires of nerds on videogame forums.

Basically, the more 'consistently decent' a leak looks, the more likely it is to be fake.

You know if that Pikmin 4 release date ends up being true which i highly doubt it is, it would lead more credence to new hardware coming sooner than later

Guys... GUYS... next week you're going to see a very meaty Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom trailer and it's going to BLOW YOUR MIND with the insanity and awesomeness Nintendo is about to unleash upon us AND other awesome games you will be excited for.

Are you people ready?

I SAID

ARE YOU PEOPLE READY???
I am definitely, and Internet is gonna go crazy after a full TOTK trailer finally lol

Maybe I'm late to the conversation, but I was thinking, maybe Star Fox it's a franchise we give too much credit, but in reality it's not something that is appealing to general public anymore, at least this generation, and it would appeal to us, who actively remember it and talk about it, who are the minority of the switch install base.

Yea on rails shooters are not that appealing anymore. Got to make it a third person shooter (like gears of war). Different weapons. Split screen coop. You can have the air wing section missions and huge action set pieces. Pure action, good story and multiplayer.

I know this is almost habitual (or at least I always seem to notice it), but for all the times I doompost about what's impossible and what is unlikely to come to Switch, you always have some logical posts to confirm that my negativity gets the better of me at times and that with a little bit of realism and insight into existing public knowledge the forecast isn't so dire despite my lack of patience and in short I just want to say thank you for being a member here I regularly interact with haha
Hey no sweat. I love to see people who share my gaming tastes (which is not a hard thing to do, I literally love everything)

I was going on old NeoGAF threads the other day and noticed a post where I assured you about 3DS release schedule way back in 2013. We've been doing this for at least 10 years lol
(Also great to see how many of us Nintendo community there 10 years ago are currently active on this site)

Yeah I like Metroid opens, 2D DK/Mario in the middle, GameCube remaster and TOTK closes.
That would be the best Nintendo event since the Switch reveal in January 2017.

I miss those times when Metroid Prime was the AAA Nintendo franchise that lots of Playstation 2 users were jealous. I know that because I was one of those PS2 guys... lol

Hey no sweat. I love to see people who share my gaming tastes (which is not a hard thing to do, I literally love everything)

I was going on old NeoGAF threads the other day and noticed a post where I assured you about 3DS release schedule way back in 2013. We've been doing this for at least 10 years lol
(Also great to see how many of us Nintendo community there 10 years ago are currently active on this site)
LMFAOOOO

Damn, kinship in being old farts as gamers 😂 This actually made my day haha

Wait announcement tomorrow? I thought Tuesday personally.. Welp, time to turn on the NOA Twitter notifications

That would be the best Nintendo event since the Switch reveal in January 2017.

I miss those times when Metroid Prime was the AAA Nintendo franchise that lots of Playstation 2 users were jealous. I know that because I was one of those PS2 guys... lol
I have a distinct memory of going to a game store in the mall back in 2002 to play the Metroid Prime demo kiosk, and the clerk there said "I call that game the Halo killer."

Starfox as it is? Yeah, it has its audience, and could do even better than 64 with an exceptional game, but it is a limited audience.

Starfox as in what it could be? An inter-planetary/ galaxy crossing adventure that you explore uncharted/dangerous planets, have dogfights in space, and have an epic storyline with the top tier music Nintendo is usually known for? That's basically what Star Wars do.

Nintendo just needs to rethink what Starfox can be, like they did time and time again with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, their hardware, etc.

I wishhhhhhhhh

If Metroid Prime 4 is not announced:

That reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Metroid but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Metroid was expected, they should've cancelled the announcement.

Keep going …

giraffe-eating.gif

I shall not succumb to cute giraffe’s eating popcorn!!

F-Zero GX

For my tastes, that list would put this Direct pretty to close to the top of the pile.

Four of those are absolute heaters, and I've never played Advance Wars but would certainly jump in on a sale, so depending on the showings for each of these titles, this would probably be an A-tier or S-tier first party direct for me.

This would definitely mark its place amongst the best. And having never played Advance Wars either and having gotten back into Fire Emblem with Engage after a 15 year hiatus, I’m curious about it.

I totally believe that's what's actually happening. That's why I said in an earlier comment that I was puzzled by the way they're handling it. Because the freaking president of Dragami Games once released a statement insisting on it being a remake:

Why use the word "remake", thus creating expectations they have no chance of matching? It makes no sense! It doesn't help them at all!
Maybe remake came back to being a nice thing and remaster as the bad thing? Idk.
Back on the early PS4/Xbox One the term remaster was overused and a lot of hype shifted towards remake(I remember Nintendo calling Twilight Princess HD a remake despite it definitely not being one).
The awhile forward, the term remake was dropped with things that are clearly remakes like Crash and Spyro being called remasters.
Maybe they don't use the same code while using the assets idk?(I think something similar happened with Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS)
Yeah, it just really reminds me of how pretty much everyone had given up on DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as ever happening because it was just "too late" and surely they'd have moved on to the next Mario Kart game by now... but it did end up happening anyway, and hey what do you know? It seems like it wasn't actually too late at all?

And like you point out, most of their year one stuff, the stuff that did really well anyway, has gotten major follow ups on Switch. So we'll see I guess.
Yeah, the the ship has sailed, it's probably time to get back in lol.
Odyssey 2/new 3D Mario is the biggest possible announcement to make, Nintendo can do that just for the sake of getting all spotlight to the Direct even if it's ways off.
Anyone think that this is real?

Definitely isn't lol.
Apart of the stuff people already mentioned, Sony has a marketing deal with the terf wizard game, it can't be shown at Directs or Xbox events.
Kinda sad tho as with the exception of that game appearing and Mario Sports that would be the greatest Direct ever.
What are you guys playing right now so we can Wait Faster?
I'm replaying Octopath Traveller, I will begin the chapters 2 today
I've been dying, I mean, playing Shin Megami Tensei V.
Let's repeat the February 2019 Direct:

• 2D Mario opens
  • Astral Chain (2) penultimate announcement
  • Zelda closes
PLEASE 🥺🥺🥺🥺 I NEED ASTRAL CHAIN 2 😭😭😭😭

I think that happens by September Direct as a 2024 announcement tho.
  • Metroid opener
  • Stuff
  • Melts-your-brain TotK trailer
  • One more thing... HW price drop

BOOM
I think it's kinda bold to predict they'd close the Direct with a Hyrule Warriors price cut announcement.
It's been over two weeks since Atlus released the Persona ports and they have been strangely silent about their next title; it would be exciting if their next announcement was in the Direct.
I would love that too. Be it Persona 6, SMT V-2, Etrian Odyssey, new MegaTen, SMT IV ports, new Vanillaware game, anything, please Atlus announce something at the Direct.
Here are my predictions/hopes.

Opening

• Metroid Prime - Definitive Edition (7.21.2023)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (teaser plus confirmation that it will be shown later this year) (2024)

Headlines

• Octopath Traveler 2 - demo immediately after the direct (2.24.2023)
  • Atelier Ryza 3 (3.24.2023)
  • Outer Wilds - available immediately after the direct.
  • Trinity Trigger (Summer 2023)
  • Digimon World Next Order (2.22.2023)

Main

- ARMS 2 (6.23.2023)

Headlines

• Kirby's Return to Dreamland (2.24.2023) demo available immediately after the direct
  • Shin Megami Tensei 4 Remastered (6.9.2023)
  • Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp (4.7.2023)
  • Mario Kart 8 Wave 4 DLC (3.31.2023)
  • Xenoblade Chornicles Wave 3 DLC (3.3.2023)
  • Splatoon 3 New Season Update

Main

- F Zero (8.18.2023)

Headlines

• Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D (Fall 2023)
  • The Witcher 2 (4.14.2023)
  • Red Dead Redemption (7.7.2023)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (Cloud Version) Fall 2023.
-Bayonetta 3 Origins (3.24.2023)

Main

- NSO Update: GB and GBA games are coming to Nintendo Switch (3.10.2023)

- Silksong (5.26.2023)

Sizzle Reel

Fatal Frame, Theatrythm, Tales of Symphonia, Rune Factory 3, Fitness Boxing, Minecraft Legends, Fae Farm

Final Reveals

- Golden Sun Remake (9.15.2023)

- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Story Trailer

- TotK OLED and Collectors Editions of the game
That would be the greatest Direct ever, let's will it into existence.

If Metroid Prime 4 is not announced:

That reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Metroid but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Metroid was expected, they should've cancelled the announcement.
If they announce Prime HD, they 100% have to show a glimpse of Prime 4 with confirmation of more news later this year. I think that's exactly what they are going to open the show with

Basically, if Zelda opens they have something cool for the rest of the year (or perhaps a meatier than expected Prime 4 trailer) - if Prime Remake opens it comes with a "Metroid Prime 4 2024, please be patient to see more closer to release" (or something on that level - Pikmin 4?) but that is probably the biggest thing for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
He is not a leaker, but the question is "same day or week" and he just said "yes". So it can be just in same week, but not the same day.
that'll be a funny linguistic coincidence when it does in fact wind up on the same day as last year

make a small budget star fox game featuring traditional gameplay.

at the same time while making the 3d adventure one most people want except on famiboards

Which is more likely to be Nintendo's Holiday title?

• Super Mario Odyssey 2
  • 2D Mario Game
  • Donkey Kong 2D game
  • Donkey Kong 3D game
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Pikmin 4
  • None of the above (explain)
In order of likelyhood:
  • 2D Mario game: it's been in development for awhile, makes a lot of sense with the movie, they'd have no problem of releasing it late in the gen(NSMB Wii, SMM);
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2: it's been awhile, I think it can happen, but I think they'd hold it for Switch 2 cross gen launch title. If it only started development in 2019(which it doesn't have to), I can see it only being ready in 2024. BUT that year already has Pokémon remakes as holiday titles presumably on the same console... Maybe they make Mario October and Pokémon November idk;
  • Donkey Kong 2D: it might've taken less than expected to make and somehow be ready this holiday, but I think 2024 is a safer assumption;
  • Pikmin 4: it can end up being released in the holiday but I don't think it's going to be the big holiday game. I think it's more of a late summer thing;
  • Metroid Prime 4: that one is either spring or holiday 2024. We have credible rumors of Metroid Prime Remake, not even announced yet, I can't see them releasing both in 2023;
  • Donkey Kong 3D: doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom