• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Prime Remastered |ST| Prime Prophecy Fulfilled

Question about late game bosses:

Is Omega Pirate generally considered harder, or Meta Ridley? Because what I remember of Omega Pirate is that it was the biggest wall in the game other than Meta Ridley and Metroid Prime itself, and it used to take me multiple attempts over many hours to get past it. This time, not counting cutscenes, it took me... 81 seconds?

I'm wondering if I am just better at the game than I remember, and if I won't have as much trouble with the other two bosses either lol
I was dreading the Omega Pirate fight because of what people said about it but I beat it first try with a few health tanks excess. Wonder if it's because it wasn't designed with dual stick in mind

Last edited:
I was dreading the Omega Pirate fight because of what people said about it but I beat it first try with a few health tanks excess. Wonder if it's because it wasn't designed with dual stick in mind
dual stick makes very little difference when it comes to combat

When I was a kid the Omega Pirate was very easy to me, but I actually died against it once in this last playthrough

I think I'd forgotten my old cycle; back in the day I almost definitely dropped a power bomb when the pirates show up, but this time I tried to fight them in the normal way and wasted a lot of time and health. Managed it in two tries regardless

When I play on Hard mode I'll be doing it the easy way, for sure

Omega pirate gave me trouble back in the day without using power bombs. This time around I beat him first try on hard. The issue was I was frantically looking for omega while ignoring the adds as they pounded me with blasts. This time around I realized that 1. there's a bit of time until omega pirate shows up for the x-ray so you're better off killing 2 or at least 1 spawned add before targeting omega 2. omega is scripted to heal faster the more you've damaged it that cycle and 3. super missiles are superior to charged plasma beam for burst damage. Had no trouble this time on hard and killed it in 2 cycles

I ordered the physical copy of Metroid Prime Remastered on March 7. The delivery date got moved up to March 17. I got an email from Amazon today stating the new delivery date is March 28.

(It’s actually fine though. Not a big deal.)

Not a complete failure I suppose!

iGDD14Z_d.webp

I've never 100%'d the game, but have probably come closer in the past. I tend to start the game scanning every little thing and towards the end start missing even bosses. I also knowingly skipped some missile upgrades I couldn't be nothered with.

It's around eight years since I last played the game, and it's still just as great. The remastering is very well done and the twin stick + gyro controls work beautifully for both the platforming and the combat.

I's around eight years since I last played the game, and it's still just as great. The remastering is very well done and the twin stick + gyro controls work beautifully for both the platforming and the combat.
To me the gyro feels too shaky, do you have some advice? I really want to play with that control setting.

your not done with the chozo ruins did you scan the four keys in the tree area? and morph ball bombs?

Like the charge beam room there’s another room with four glyphs to scan.

Tall room with the tree in the middle surrounded by poison water.

The symbols you need to scan are always contained in the same room. If I'm not mistaken, youre in that tall room with a tree, there are a couple breakable tiles up there that you can bomb with the morph ball to advance.
Super late getting back to you all but thanks, it was the tree room, gotten a lot farther in the game now (got the varia suit, boost ball, spider ball, super missile, thermal, double jump, etc.)

Started making my way through the Phazon Mines. Got the Power Bombs and stopped there for the night.

No matter how many times I've played this game, the first area where you hear the Phazon ambient theme always gets me, but Remastered made it feel more like it did when I first played somehow. It's honestly one of my favorite moments in the trilogy even though it's just a connecting room and not a cutscene or anything else that's flashier.

Okay, I think the Meta Ridley fight on my game is bugged.

I consistently, no matter what, get Meta Ridley down to the last sliver of his health. but as soon as I do, the window to fire on his exposed chest goes down to zero. Like every single time, as soon as he begins to expose the weak spot, the animation cancels, and he goes right into the next attack.

I simply can't outlast it, especially in this very last phase with the hyper aggressive attacks that the game's mobility options are not well tailored to. I am close to calling it quits, I have given it 12 separate attempts now, I think that's more than enough. I have all but one health tank too, I just don't know if I can do it.

EDIT: holy shit, I beat him! Basically the trick is:

• to not use lock on during dodges for the lunge attacks in the last part of the last phase
  • to fire off a missile instantly (and not rely on beam weapons or super missiles) in the vulnerable stance of the last part of the last phase (to counteract the "animation cancel" issue I was mentioning earlier; this was key, because otherwise I got him down to the last sliver of his health each time and couldn't seal the deal because he would stay in the vulnerable phase for too brief a window)
  • to literally not stay still for a single second, like at all, you cannot afford to stay still, you have to keep your bearings and constantly move around the entire arena, there is no other way
I think this is still a badly designed fight. A lot of what it asks for the game's mobility options are not designed around. You can get through it through sheer perseverance, sure (and I am sure this is a lot more fun on a lower difficulty at least) but it should not be so reliant on asking something from the player that it doesnt give them the tools to reliably execute on

Last edited:
Holy crap, next time you're in the Tallon Overworld, try standing in the rain and aiming up and down.
The rain drops dynamically slide down your arm cannon in the direction of gravity as you tilt it.

This freaking game man.

Got back on the horse this weekend and am getting close to finishing this game. It's really, REALLY fun. At some point my brain started to treat the game world like just one massive 3D Zelda dungeon, and I've gotten really into it. I first played the game 20 years ago, but I could never finish it as a kid due to always getting lost/not being able to see where I was going.

After work tonight, I think I'm finally going to finish this journey!

Just gotta decide if I wanna go straight to Echoes or wait for a potential Switch port...

Just got the Plasma Beam. I wish I knew where my Wii was packed, because I really want to replay 2 and 3 after this. Oh well. Eventually.

It's amazing how this game basically looks like how the original looked in my memories, lol. It's hard to explain.

Any tips for the final boss?
Stay on the move and don't be too trigger happy because Prime could immediately move into the ramming phase and you need to be in morph ball asap. Otherwise, Prime isn't difficult.

For the final phase, feel free to use your power bombs to get rid of the Metroid mobs asap so you can focus on tearing into Prime.

I played on normal on my first run. I cleared on 89% I believe. I did miss some missle tanks and a few scans early in the game but when I play on hard I'll go for 100%. I mainly played it on my lite with dual analogies because playing it with a GC controller with the original controls is impossible with no access to start menu (-)

I can't wait to go back and play it with motion controls. It's still my favorite game of all time. In my minds eye it hasn't aged a day ♥

This. Your brain is telling you thats how it looked back then, but you then check the original and yeah.....
Pretty much, yeah! Like I've always felt the original looked fantastic, and the art direction for it and the rest of the trilogy have helped them to hold up better than other games from the era(s). And yet, my brain embellishes it anyway, haha.

Remastered is so good.

I think it's a testament to the original's art direction that many people's first reaction to the remaster was basically "they didn't even change all that much" :D

I dunno, struggled quite a bit with the final boss (well with the final phase), although getting their at full health in the first place was a big part of it. I honestly think it has too many HP (or the Phazon Beam doesn't do enough damage), doesn't help that it throws the Fission Metroids at you towards the end.

It definitely feels nerfed compared to the GC version.
I think the dual analog control scheme actually does trivialize it a little, since it lets you move and attack at the same time, taking away one of the central risk/reward propositions of the original fight

I dunno, struggled quite a bit with the final boss (well with the final phase), although getting their at full health in the first place was a big part of it. I honestly think it has too many HP (or the Phazon Beam doesn't do enough damage), doesn't help that it throws the Fission Metroids at you towards the end.
I decided to sacrifice a couple power bombs on my way to the final boss. Got there with 74 health and all health tanks.

Then the battle itself drops a stupid amount of pickups throughout, so I was actually at full health a little bit after starting the battle. Every attack either has a huge tell and/or wind up time in this phase (flashes red before the charge attack, opens mouth and roars before the beam attack, missiles take a very long time to reach you), meaning it's fairly easy to maintain most health. You can finish this phase of the battle with full health pretty easily (although if you misread one of the more aggressive charge attacks in the third phase, and no pickups are dropped after that, I can see you ending this with a couple tanks lost).

Which brings us to the second phase, which, admittedly, is slightly more chaotic. The ground slam doesn't have as long a tell as the attacks in the first phase (although it is still fairly easily avoidable and totally ignorable if you stand on the discarded husk from the first phase). Visor switching is annoying, but other than the annoyance of having to frantically do it in the middle of a temporary opening to attack, it's not too bad. The Metroids can be a pain in the ass, but using the power bombs instantly clears them out (and at least one of them always drops a power bomb pickup, while the other drops health, so you can keep this going pretty much endlessly every time the Metroids are spawned).

Now I will say the attacks in this phase are more aggressive, more chaotic, and there is a lot more to keep track of. In this phase, yes, it is much easier to lose health (though, again, almost every attack is easy to avoid, and the game provides frequent pickups as well); however, that makes it moderately challenging; it's more like the Thardus battle, which is more a battle of attrition and chip damage while trying to keep your health up and outlast it, than it is a challenge in the sense of requiring constant top notch response and input from the player at risk of heavy damage if you fail.

Imo, at least!

That first glimpse of raw Phazon as you approach the Mines, with the eerie music and the "severe radiation" warning is such a brilliantly unsettling piece of environmental storytelling.

I know a lot of folks aren't fans, but I honestly find the Mines just as great as the rest of the game. The thick atmosphere of menace and increased challenge really create the sense that the player is taking the fight to Pirates.

Last edited:
It is done!

The last fight is stupidly easy, actually getting to it with that final room and the infinite spawns was harder than the actual fight lol
The secret to that room is to just run through as fast as you can and only stop if a fission metroid attack is truly imminent and then you just drop a power bomb and keep running. Stopping to try and fight at all is a mistake.

I was feeling dumb when the game told me to go to the Artifact place, then I got there and nothing happened. That was because I hadn't collected all artifacts 'cause I thought they were just collectables lol.

Then I got to chase the remaining ones, and it felt really good. Most of the places I also found new items(collected all energy tanks btw!).

So when I was done, I got to fight Ridley. Damn, it's the boss that killed me the most times lol, hard. I tried different approaches, like not using any missiles while he's flying, to save all of them for the combat on the ground. I get really, really close to kill him, sometimes with a lot of energy remaining, but the apparent last time he shows his chest is just him going berserk and never letting lol. I gave up on it last night, gonna try again today and I'll probably beat the game.

I'm ~22 hours in(35 on my Switch profile), 80% items. All my worries of it being a super short game are gone lol.

That's probably how long it took me on my first playthrough 20 years ago haha. It's definitely not too short, and like most Metroid games, the completion time doesn't accurately reflect how much time you've spent with it.

And yeah, what a lot of people don't realize is the artifact hunt isn't just late game padding, it gives the player the opportunity to get all the collectables they missed or didn't have access to previously so you can be well equipped for the endgame.

I was feeling dumb when the game told me to go to the Artifact place, then I got there and nothing happened. That was because I hadn't collected all artifacts 'cause I thought they were just collectables lol.

Then I got to chase the remaining ones, and it felt really good. Most of the places I also found new items(collected all energy tanks btw!).

So when I was done, I got to fight Ridley. Damn, it's the boss that killed me the most times lol, hard. I tried different approaches, like not using any missiles while he's flying, to save all of them for the combat on the ground. I get really, really close to kill him, sometimes with a lot of energy remaining, but the apparent last time he shows his chest is just him going berserk and never letting lol. I gave up on it last night, gonna try again today and I'll probably beat the game.

I'm ~22 hours in(35 on my Switch profile), 80% items. All my worries of it being a super short game are gone lol.
When you get him to the ground phase, use Super Missiles when he enters his vulnerable stance. Other than that, make sure to dodge his attacks. I think his charge is more reliably dodged if you don't lock on to him, but ymmv on that.

In the last 5% of his health bar, his weak spot gets electrified and he becomes even more aggressive. When this happens he chains together 3 swipes in a row, and can often go multiple ground slams one after the other. At this point, his vulnerable state lasts only a fraction of a second; you can't use a super missile on him at this point because he cancels from his vulnerable state right into an attack animation before you get the chance to charge it up. When this happens, my advice is to fire off as many missiles as soon as he enters his weak state as you can. Those will hit him before he cancels into the next animation, and will chip away at his health.

As long as you reliably dodge his attacks to keep your health, you should be able to do this! It's a very tough fight, in my opinion the toughest fight in the game, but as long as you understand the patterns and how to deal with them, you will be fine!

Beat this at 91% completion in roughly 17 hours. It's been a long time since I've played but happy with what I remembered. Yeah, this game is still a 10/10.

That first glimpse of raw Phazon as you approach the Mines, with the eerie music and the "severe radiation" warning is such a brilliantly unsettling piece of environmental storytelling.

Dumb ass younger me got lost there because I saw the warning and just turned back, lol.

That's probably how long it took me on my first playthrough 20 years ago haha. It's definitely not too short, and like most Metroid games, the completion time doesn't accurately reflect how much time you've spent with it.

And yeah, what a lot of people don't realize is the artifact hunt isn't just late game padding, it gives the player the opportunity to get all the collectables they missed or didn't have access to previously so you can be well equipped for the endgame.
I was kinda worried at first of being done with the game too soon, but it's been delivering everything I want.
The backtracking is very well reasoned here and you actually few like doing something worthy, unlike that of Skyward Sword.
I'm usually not a completionist and mostly just play the story, but I'll definitely go for 100% with that one. And will start a new game on hard mode too.
When you get him to the ground phase, use Super Missiles when he enters his vulnerable stance. Other than that, make sure to dodge his attacks. I think his charge is more reliably dodged if you don't lock on to him, but ymmv on that.

In the last 5% of his health bar, his weak spot gets electrified and he becomes even more aggressive. When this happens he chains together 3 swipes in a row, and can often go multiple ground slams one after the other. At this point, his vulnerable state lasts only a fraction of a second; you can't use a super missile on him at this point because he cancels from his vulnerable state right into an attack animation before you get the chance to charge it up. When this happens, my advice is to fire off as many missiles as soon as he enters his weak state as you can. Those will hit him before he cancels into the next animation, and will chip away at his health.

As long as you reliably dodge his attacks to keep your health, you should be able to do this! It's a very tough fight, in my opinion the toughest fight in the game, but as long as you understand the patterns and how to deal with them, you will be fine!
thank you very much for the tips!!! I was almost getting to that myself, but I lost when the vulnerable spot got electrified and I couldn't charge the super missile. He gets super fast and agressivo so it gets tough to dodge the attacks too.
Next time I play the game I'll probably finish the story, so I'll do that tomorrow after classes, take my time to defeat Ridley (I feel like the next time I try I'll beat him) and the final boss afterwards.
And yes, it's definitely the hardest boss in the game. Omega Pirate was tough too, but the very first time I chose to ignore the pirates that spawn and just chase him with X-Ray, I took him down. Ridley is on a whole other level lol. And that's with me having all energy tanks!!

Credits are rolling as I type.
Damn. The game was amazing. One of the best gaming experiences I ever had. Metroid did it again. I fucking love this franchise. 4 can't be revealed soon enough.

Metroid Prime was nowhere near the difficulty of Meta Ridley. But it was a super fun fight!! I think it was more of a "showcase fight", where you can just take a lot of "cinematic action" against a super giant boss. It did what it was meant imo.

Was surprised when I saw Samus face. I already got that spoiled but was emotional to finally see her nonetheless. Thought she only appeared on 100%.

Edit:
80% complete
Total time 23:44

Got to the point of having all the artifacts in my hard mode run and... I've missed a couple of missile tanks again. Despite going slowly and carefully listening carefully for the item noise through what I thought was every room in the game.

I'm not ever going to see the 100% bonus ending off of YouTube at this rate.

Regarding Ridley:

When he's going ham at the end of the fight, shooting him in the mouth will cause him to expose his weakpoint for longer

I think

Despite the MAR10 sales MPR is still red hot.

metroid-meh.jpg

After spending an entire month as #1 in the american eshop, will it remain in the top 5 even 2 months after its release? Even if it doesnt its legs have been amazing.

Completed the game on Normal with 100% completion, but I actually didn't catch if I got all the scans or not (I had 95% prior to returning to the Temple). I appreciate how much "worse" they made the Impact Crater look and I will begin my time-honoured tradition of scrubbing all images of it from my mind palace, therefore allowing it to kick me in the metaphorical shin next time.

Not ready to replay it on Hard, yet. I'm looking to do another playthrough of Fire Emblem Engage with the final DLC wave coming up + got other games in my backlog. But... eventually.

What I really want to do is play Echoes next, but it's still packed somewhere.

What I really want to do is play Echoes next, but it's still packed somewhere.
I was super sad right after finishing Prime because I wanted to move straight to Echoes but didn't know what to do about it. Now I have my Steam Deck coming in Monday, so I will probably use that to move straight to Echoes soon :)

Am I just missing something obvious, or does the Hall of Elders really just deny you access to the nearby elevator after you move the throne to get the artifact?
Cos that is such an annoying design choice if so.
This game really gonna make me backtrack through three separate biomes just to get back to the Phazon Mines?

Last edited:
I've came back to the game yesterday to try and find the remaining missile expansions. I wish they had marks on the map like in Dread, sometimes it's just frustrating to explore a huge area again and again and find nothing. But I ended up finding 3 in Phazon Mines and I got very overwhelmed after it. Just 15 to go!!

Also started the game on hard mode but only got to Parasite Queen.

Am I just missing something obvious, or does the Hall of Elders really just deny you access to the nearby elevator after you move the throne to get the artifact?
Cos that is such an annoying design choice if so.
This game really gonna make me backtrack through three separate biomes just to get back to the Phazon Mines?

I never experienced this before.

I've came back to the game yesterday to try and find the remaining missile expansions. I wish they had marks on the map like in Dread, sometimes it's just frustrating to explore a huge area again and again and find nothing. But I ended up finding 3 in Phazon Mines and I got very overwhelmed after it. Just 15 to go!!

Maxing out the SFX and turning the music off helps find all the expansions since they all make a distinct noise. That's how I got 100% without a guide.

Make sure you play with the volume up a bit, the item SFX is a big indicator

I beat the game this afternoon. My first time. I had a lot of fun with it.

Only things I would change about it would be:

1. Fast travel between save rooms (only inside them, not anywhere in the game). That backtracking got to be annoying after a point.

2. The ability to retry a boss fight instantly instead of having to reload a save.

The bosses were pretty easy for the most part. The omega pirate took just two attempts to kills, meta ridley took like 5 and metroid prime itself took 3. It was annoying having to run back to rematch them. Meta ridley was only annoying after he landed and his wings melted timing those missile for his mouth opening sucked lol.

How were you supposed to fight the cloaked drone on the gamecube version? Without dual stick aiming since you can't lock on. I just used the wavebuster to blast it to sweet oblivion. But how else can it be killed?

But yeah real cool game, look forward to seeing about prime 4. Might play Fusion soon once I finish some other stuff.

Last edited:
If Tears of the Kingdom wasn't released this year, then this would've been my favorite release of 2023.

My favorite remaster yet, absolutely sublime! This masterclass in in-game lighting, combined with improved assets, a higher quality soundtrack on top of an already incredible base game made this an unbelievable experience.

Back
Top Bottom