• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Prime Remastered |ST| Prime Prophecy Fulfilled

The telegraphing consisted of just the Spider Ball track leading up to an Ice Beam door you can't open yet. It's the one right in front of the elevator, after defeating Thardus. Just one of those things the player is tasked with remembering, much like the half-pipe in Tallon Overworld. 😅 There are a few instances like that, where you just have to recall where you saw something you couldn't previously use (or start searching the map all over again).
Hmm, well good to know there was a telegraph at least =P . If not for that one I'd been doing well for myself (even remembered the halfpipe, but messed up not knowing how the boost ball momentum works xD), but I guess I was so eager to nope out of Phendrana after all the combat shenanigans that I didn't register the door. OH WELL.

The telegraphing consisted of just the Spider Ball track leading up to an Ice Beam door you can't open yet. It's the one right in front of the elevator, after defeating Thardus. Just one of those things the player is tasked with remembering, much like the half-pipe in Tallon Overworld. 😅 There are a few instances like that, where you just have to recall where you saw something you couldn't previously use (or start searching the map all over again).
This style of play and thinking is much easier for me now, 20 years down the line, because I've actually played Metroidvania titles. When I first tried Prime, I'd only ever played Metroid 2, so it was a long and frustrating, but still captivating, experience.

Right now I'm playing it after having played the whole 2D saga cross late 2017 to 2021, which helps, and with memories of the original Prime trilogy (which I haven't played for about a decade) and indie games like Axiom Verge, The Messenger and Hollow Knight. I also legitimately think something like Breath of the Wild has helped develop the Metroid part of my brain; it's much easier to read environments and remember things I might need to go back for.

I'm torn between playing with sticks + gyro or only sticks.

Gyro is a game changer for aiming, makes it so much easier and natural. On the other hand, it makes the camera very twitchy the whole time, which takes away some of the atmosphere of the game. Turning it off make it stable and still as it's supposed to be and you can slowly take in all the sense of foreboding.

Does anyone know what happens when you get all scans yet? Currently sitting at 85% and want to know if I should bother tearing my hair out looking for the rest.

I'm torn between playing with sticks + gyro or only sticks.

Gyro is a game changer for aiming, makes it so much easier and natural. On the other hand, it makes the camera very twitchy the whole time, which takes away some of the atmosphere of the game. Turning it off make it stable and still as it's supposed to be and you can slowly take in all the sense of foreboding.

Just lower gyro camera sensitivity, and increase a bit stick camera sensitivity.

Me yesterday on "Idiot, it's a modern console" moment. Finally cleared the phazon mines on my way to get the plasma beam. Since the closest elevator puts you on the other side of Magmoor (and you still have to go there to get an artifact) where the beam is I said why not. So I start the long trek and after 10 minutes I get a text from my mom to get some medicine she needed and I'm like "welp, there's 10 minutes lost, no save point near" and just before I'm about to turn eveything off "wait a moment.... I can just suspend it"

F0Nri5q.jpg

Me yesterday on "Idiot, it's a modern console" moment. Finally cleared the phazon mines on my way to get the plasma beam. Since the closest elevator puts you on the other side of Magmoor (and you still have to go there to get an artifact) where the beam is I said why not. So I start the long trek and after 10 minutes I get a text from my mom to get some medicine she needed and I'm like "welp, there's 10 minutes lost, no save point near" and just before I'm about to turn eveything off "wait a moment.... I can just suspend it"

F0Nri5q.jpg

It's funny. When I played the Prime Trilogy a couple of months back, there were a couple of times were I wanted to turn it off but couldn't because I needed to get to a save point.

It makes you realize how spoiled we have become with suspend points.

The frigate is my next main stop but I think I’m gonna poke around for stuff I missed first. Don’t really remember anything specific about progression and haven’t been using a guide, which has been fun!

Anyone starting to hear the sound of hidden upgrades when they're just sitting around in real life?

Especially while watching the Last of Us! My ears are so ready to listen for a hidden upgrade. Maybe if I follow the noise in real life I can make some significant changes in life.

So Walmart Canada had listed the physical as coming out on the 14th (and I ordered it there) but now they’re delaying my shipping? Man, kind of a clusterfuck.

How much more difficult is hard mode? I kind of feel like replaying this later on hard once I'm finished with this replay.

Anyone starting to hear the sound of hidden upgrades when they're just sitting around in real life?
Real life? What's that?

I'm just in a blank void waiting for my physical copy to ship.

For those of you with the game and have the appropriate setup - how's the 5.1 surround? I just ordered a soundbar cause I'm realizing I'm missing out on the dimension of a lot of games by not having surround.

It's funny. When I played the Prime Trilogy a couple of months back, there were a couple of times were I wanted to turn it off but couldn't because I needed to get to a save point.

It makes you realize how spoiled we have become with suspend points.
It makes more sense with the switch as it portable too.

Anyway, finally got the plasma beam, and now time to collect some stuff

Just got the Ice Beam. This is the point when the game really ramps up in complexity and you get divergent paths and take one and somehow you're back at your ship and it's so satisfying to orient yourself in the world, it feels like true Metroid as an experience.

I do have to say, that even after all of these years, the Pirate Base still scares the living hell out of me.

Things are pressured and stressing enough as it is. Then... You see the Metroid.. it breaks out and that intense music plays, and it's such an intense encounter. And later, you find the Thermal Visor, and the lights go out and you hear a Metroid scream.. who has broken free.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Just got the Ice Beam. This is the point when the game really ramps up in complexity and you get divergent paths and take one and somehow you're back at your ship and it's so satisfying to orient yourself in the world, it feels like true Metroid as an experience.

I do have to say, that even after all of these years, the Pirate Base still scares the living hell out of me.

Things are pressured and stressing enough as it is. Then... You see the Metroid.. it breaks out and that intense music plays, and it's such an intense encounter. And later, you find the Thermal Visor, and the lights go out and you hear a Metroid scream.. who has broken free.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
The music in this game is really creepy at times, be it the pirate music or just general Metroid. But the worst that still gives me a near panic attack out of reflex is the Chozo ghost music, something about it just… yeeesh

Platforming in this game is bad. Samus’ jumps are so inconsistent. I’ve been in this stupid Geothermal Corte room for like an hour because Samus will either randomly decide that the exact same jump I made a few minutes ago isn’t good enough and fall into the lava and I’ll have to start all over again, or the morph ball part at the top of the stage will randomly make me slide off.
turn on "look down while jumping" in the options.

Phazon Mines aren't so bad thus far, enjoying it a lot more compared to the Pirate Base. A little less claustrophobic and some more variety. Still suspenseful as heck though, I don't feel like a hunter at all! xD

Had to Google if there were any save points in there though, and it seems like I'm nearing one...? Feels like a tense gauntlet, and I hope to make it to the save point intact! Was able to farm some sweet sweet health bulbs from the poison mines so that helped at least :p .

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Shit gets real in that part, that's for sure! The contrast with the dreamy Phendrana Drifts is enormous - it's a great little piece of suspense building. And then, to have Infrared Visor guy counting from 1-5 over and over again in your ear... truly horrifying.

I went running around for item collection after the first round at Phazon Mines, but now it's taking me forever to get back to the Mines for the next main story event.

I thought I made my way back, but it turns out I took the wrong entrance to the Mines. Now I have to run all the way around to wherever the main entrance was.

I love this game and it's one of my favorites of all time, but this replay has reminded me that traversal can be a bit slow. Might be a bit jarring if someone goes straight from Dread to Prime Remastered.

I went running around for item collection after the first round at Phazon Mines, but now it's taking me forever to get back to the Mines for the next main story event.

I thought I made my way back, but it turns out I took the wrong entrance to the Mines. Now I have to run all the way around to wherever the main entrance was.

I love this game and it's one of my favorites of all time, but this replay has reminded me that traversal can be a bit slow. Might be a bit jarring if someone goes straight from Dread to Prime Remastered.

There is no wrong entrance to the Mines in that case. You can either get there from Tallon Overworld or Magmoor caverns, both which have paths back to where you need to be.

First time player here. I’ve beaten a good chunk of the 2D games (Fusion, Super, Samus Returns, and Dread) and really wanted to check this game out to see what I was missing by not playing 3D entries.

I gotta say, the more I play this game the less I like it. I’m really not having any fun here.

Platforming in this game is bad. Samus’ jumps are so inconsistent. I’ve been in this stupid Geothermal Corte room for like an hour because Samus will either randomly decide that the exact same jump I made a few minutes ago isn’t good enough and fall into the lava and I’ll have to start all over again, or the morph ball part at the top of the stage will randomly make me slide off.

I never had any problems with platforming in this game, never even in GC version with tank controls. Maybe you need more practice in make more precise jumps.

There is no wrong entrance to the Mines in that case. You can either get there from Tallon Overworld or Magmoor caverns, both which have paths back to where you need to be.
Oh.... I think I get where I got confused now. Just checked the map and missed an available path.

My third time playing this and I still get thrown off sometimes, haha

I think the platforming is great especially for a first person game. I don't get how the jumps are inconsistent? You must be doing something wrong.

LMAO.

This is on par with this one comment I saw saying Phendrana's Edge electronic loop goes, "How do you do that? With a laptop!"
😂

Kenji Yamamoto at least must've used a MacBook for the Prime games. Metroid Dread's composers opted for a ThinkPad from 1998 to compose its OST.

y can't metroid grab? (She can do it in Fussion!). Some of the invisible platforms are giving me trouble

i never liked the original, it always felt too saturated. By prime 3 retro was already fixing the renders by adding actual colours into it
prime-32.jpg

I hope we get a remaster of prime 3 too. Im so excited to see the renders.

I just noticed she has her fist clenched. Quite cool.

Huh? This is like the only first person game ever that manages to have functional platforming. The physics and traversal are all extremely consistent, I do not quite understand this complaint.

I don't know why, but I've never liked the original cover. They somehow made it good with this re-release, which is astonishing.

I mean, look at Samus. She's just standing there! It looks so awkward lmao. The head tilt and fist (which I didn't notice until now) really complete it.

The integration with the background is slightly awkward in both, but it's way, way worse in the original too. Samus is just so bright in the picture that it looks like she was photoshopped onto a jpg. 😂

I've been a strictly 2d metroid fan so this is my first time playing metroid prime (the only 3d metroid I've played before was prime hunters for some reasons).
Right now I'm in the underwater section of the game.
The game is much more slow paced than the 2d games but I'm still having a blast, it really feels like a different take on the metroid series with more horror like scenarios (the space pirate lab for example was an amazing tense moment) and bigger focus on puzzle solving.
The game is pretty easy too but I really like how they throw a huge amount of enemies making the battles pretty frenetic.
As far as the remaster, the game looks beautiful even if you can see the gamecube roots in its world design, but it just looks how an hd metroid game should look.
A much bigger improvement to me is the controls, I don't know how people played the game with tank control in 2002 but playing it with dual stick plus gyro feels perfect and I can't see how I could play any other metroid prime game in any other way.
So yeah I can see how this game got its outstanding reputation.

alright, how do super missiles work? i just unlocked them, but i can’t seem to get them to work. hold a charge shot, then press the missile button right? that doesn’t do anything.

Bro fuck the Metroid lab in Phendrana Drifts. That was terrifying
oh yeah i literally just did that. that jump scare startled me

alright, how do super missiles work? i just unlocked them, but i can’t seem to get them to work. hold a charge shot, then press the missile button right? that doesn’t do anything.

oh yeah i literally just did that. that jump scare startled me
Make sure you’re on power beam not wave beam, each beam has a unique missile combo and you haven’t gotten wave’s yet

Several people in the review thread commented that there are reviews dominated by people who played the game on GameCube and already thought of it as a masterpiece. So despite the fact that I've not finished the game, I thought I'd give some thoughts.
  • The game is gorgeous and it's a testament to both the original game and to the Remaster. I've seen some comparison shots, and in casual glances, not known which was which. Not because the advances aren't obvious - they are - but because the original's art direction was superb. We talk about how Nintendo's stylized approach seems designed to age well, but this a completely different style that does the same.
  • Early on the game feels like a pretty decent conversion of Super Metroid into 3D. The upgrades, the environs, the music. To translate Metroid to first person is a huge accomplishment, but it took a bit for the game to start to develop an identity for me separate from Super.
  • I thought I'd find scanning annoying, but the story details are interesting, and the amount of stuff to scan is surprisingly judicious. It does feel like a dated storytelling device - a modern game would use voice acted cut scenes, or computer terminals with novels of text, or nothing at all. This is very well done, but it is one of the things that flags it as not-of-this-era.
  • God I hate the HUD. I don't play a lot of FPS, and one of the reasons is the lack of peripheral vision makes it hard for me to orient. Having this thing wibble around lagging on my screen seems like it should be immersive, but really just drives me batty. I turned off the helmet, turned HUD lag on and off, and tweaked the opacity before I gave up and just turned the HUD off entirely.
  • The result is weirdly Myst-like? This silent alien landscape with lots of puzzles built around turning on some power system. I like that! But it is another thing that makes the game feel not-of-now - the sort of adventure game puzzle logic. Shoot this animal this way to make them break this thing, to get access to this area. It's a thing that is in a lot of the 2D Metroid as well, and Dread even preserved a bit of, so it's very much of the franchise' DNA. But again, it feels late 90s, early 2000s.
  • Some of the puzzles aren't puzzles? They're busy work. There is nothing to solve, just activating a lot of the same morph ball power over and over again, and the game tells you what to do if you scan. So far all of the examples of this feel cool because it feels like you're turning on a great big system - the holographic projection system of all the planets, for example - but they leave the "solving a puzzle" part of my brain turned off, and aren't super satisfying.
  • The save system is... also very dated. I'm writing this because I just lost my entire night of playing to a Game Over. The Switch gave me gaming again, by letting me play in bite sized chunks wherever I was. I started playing my last couple hours before bed, and it is gutting to have to start the whole day over. I can't imagine playing this game when I couldn't just suspend the console anytime I needed to walk away. How many kids lost hours of investment because their parents wanted to watch the news?
  • Is this the easiest Metroid game ever made, or is turning the HUD off making me more aggressive? I never know how much health or how many missiles I've got, so I'm never hoarding. I'm just going for broke all the time.
  • I really liked how Dread handled Super Missiles. Having to change my regular weapon to use Super Missiles is awful, possibly worse than Super Metroid? Maybe not that bad.
  • The elevator animation is the same every time, and it feels like the Switch doesn't need it to cover the loading? Would love to not having to watch Samus jump around looking for enemies that will never show up for the millionth time.
  • Similarly, every cut scene and save point jars. They all have a jump cut with Samus in a different place than I left her. Walk into a save area, and suddenly Samus is spun around. This feels very dated. There isn't an indication (like letterboxing) to indicate you've lost control of Samus, and despite being in-engine you're not tweening the old avatar position to the new one. Coming out of the cut scene almost always feels good because of a little visor sizzle or info blurb, but going into them, god, please just give me 5-10 frames of fade-in, that's all I ask
  • The number of options are great! The accessibility stuff should be praised to the roof! (And should be the minimum standard, frankly). But I never would have figured out how to turn on gyro aiming on my own.
  • Also, not being able to set a gamma value is making some of the areas too dark to handle. I understand that the original had light cast by the weapons, which would ameliorate the issue, but I've got poor low light vision (aging!), and the brightness on my OLED is maxed out. Not having tweakable in game gamma sucks.
Metroid Prime's reputation is partly built on being the most gorgeous game on what was a then very powerful console. Simply because of what the Switch is, it cannot be that anymore. Fortunately, It wasn't just technically impressive, it was beautifully designed, and I don't think I've ever seen this much upgrade in technical quality that doesn't seem to change the underlying art style at all. Even Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition seemed to change the art style in a single gen.

Some of the game play is of its time, but not in a negative way. These things are no longer in style, but they are as fun as they were then, and pretty refreshing here. I loved Half-Life and to be playing this kind of shooter again - an action game that is secretly a puzzle game, jump scares, environmental storytelling, and absolutely getting your ass handed to you if you don't play smart, with long gaps between some of the action - feels really really good.

Some of the game play is of its time and it is in a negative way. The save system especially is frustrating, and the long gaps between saves doesn't make the game feel challenging, it makes it feel tedious, forcing you to resolve puzzles you've already solved, and re-scan items to get them in your logbook, in a slog to get back to the bit that killed you. Only to die again and repeat. This is the game's biggest flaw to my mind.

I finished a 100% item run a while ago. My being completely engrossed in the game over the weekend reaffirms it is one of my all-time favorites.

I probably would have shaken my head at anyone who suggested it would be shadowdropped in the middle of the month, but I'm glad it happened anyway.

I thought I'd find scanning annoying, but the story details are interesting, and the amount of stuff to scan is surprisingly judicious. It does feel like a dated storytelling device - a modern game would use voice acted cut scenes, or computer terminals with novels of text, or nothing at all. This is very well done, but it is one of the things that flags it as not-of-this-era.
No, all the other games did that cut scenes thing then. This was refreshing at the time. It doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. Minimalistic story telling where you discover the story with the gameplay. It's not archaic, It's a design choice.

No, all the other games did that cut scenes thing then. This was refreshing at the time. It doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. Minimalistic story telling where you discover the story with the gameplay. It's not archaic, It's a design choice.
Yeah, there’s a reason souls games always get compared to metroid prime in the storytelling department

How much more difficult is hard mode? I kind of feel like replaying this later on hard once I'm finished with this replay.
I just got the Space Jump on Hard (so it's the beginning really) but, as far as I can tell, if you know what to do, then it's not really hard (yeah, you receive 50% more damage and deal 50% less, but you can always avoid fights most of the time). The real danger for now are the turrets (especially if there are more than one), but the rapid fire rockets help (you can cancel reload animation with fire button).

Last edited:
Scanning is so fucking good. I’m not talking about the “scan to activate” stuff, I’m talking about how you can scan nearly every little device or quirk in the environment and get flavor text about it. I’ve still never seen anything on the level of it.

Even if some of them are mundane or repetitive, and not all of them are detailed logbook entries, it’s an in-universe way of making the world feel so much more detailed and handcrafted. You have to have that plethora of “Phazon infusion in subject 53 was 47% effective” or whatever for it to work. Some of it will be super interesting, some if it won’t, but ALL of it contributes to immersing you in the world.

I hope Prime 4 keeps the Scan Visor exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom