• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Prime Remastered |ST| Prime Prophecy Fulfilled

Aaand I'm stuck... and still loving it. It starts requiring of the player to piece the different levels together. Just got the varia suit, and already passed through the lava section without avail. Time for more scrounging! EDIT: found it! Unrelated: I love how more open Phendrana Drifts looks :O .

There's a host of tiny little changes that would've been nice (gamma and FOV sliders, a confirmation dialogue when entering an elevator to prevent accidental load screens =P etc. ), but otherwise this game feels completely effortless - which is a sign of excellence.

In a weird way I'm reminded of Skyward Sword playing this. Maybe that game, with it's Metroidvania-light elements, prepared my mind for Dread which in turn prepared me for this. Curious what @brainchild , as a fellow Skyward Sword apologist, thinks of that!

Aesthetically this reminds me of both Metroid Dread (unsurprisingly), but more interestingly it feels like Morrowind in a way. More specifically, what a proper Morrowind remake would look like. Perhaps that's due to how the remade assets respect the angularity of the original art, something that was a technical necessity at the time.

Also, for anyone hoping Prime 4 will look even better: personally I don't count on it. Switch has been described as having a nice GPU, but challenging memory bandwidth and CPU constraints. A remake like this plays to the Switch's strengths perfectly, because the underlying game is relatively untaxing with it's Gamecube origins. Lots of confined spaces in this particular case. I am looking forward to what Retro will be able to do with the scale of the gameworld though! I like how compact this feels, but a more open environment could be awesome as well.

Finally, Doom 2016 cribbed quite a few things from Prime, didn't it? :p

Prime 4 should look better on the basis of it being designed ground-up for Switch

It's graphically fantastic and the new modernised default control scheme works incredibly well. Picked this up yesterday and having a blast.

I wonder if Prime 4 will have more of a survival horror feel like Dread. It works so well with Metroid because the franchise was deeply inspired by Alien.

To elaborate on this, not only because of the fidelity at display, they've also added accessibility features. Not at all to match TLoU Pt 1, but things like control scheme, colour grading and turning off hint system are very, very welcome.
The hint system has always been optional, but yeah, the additions are thoughtful. Unfortunately there's no control scheme that feels perfect to me, but dual analog is close enough (I'm still occasionally tripping over holding X for beam selection though).

When I first played Prime 20 years ago, my only experience with the series was Metroid 2. Now that I've been through the whole series - and especially after 2 playthroughs of Dread - Chozo Ruins hit much harder.

I think the Polygon review has it right: Prime's gameplay style and structure encourages contemplation and consideration. So personally what I'm really loving is seeing the remnants of Chozo civilization on Tallon IV properly understanding Samus's story and history with that people. It's a powerful, melancholic experience.

Guys Nintendo is not going to give 4 Metroid games in a 12 months span

It's impossibile, not even Mario does that

All came in much less than a year:

Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Prime 2 & 3 will just be HD versions with control updates in my opinion. Kinda like the Sunshine and Galaxy releases.

Prime 4 should look better on the basis of it being designed ground-up for Switch
I strongly agree.

Can we talk about how crazy samus's model is? I wouldnt be surprised if its by far the model with the highest amount of tris in any nintendo game. It wouldnt shock me if it was 100k

The hint system has always been optional, but yeah, the additions are thoughtful. Unfortunately there's no control scheme that feels perfect to me, but dual analog is close enough (I'm still occasionally tripping over holding X for beam selection though).

Has it?!

So the Infrared Visor sound effect is bugging me. Sounds like a dude counting from 1-5 over and over with a filter on it =P .
The lighting in the game, especially in the corridor that leads to the boss fight due to those bugs who emit light... it feels like im navegating through a playable cgi cutscene from the early 2000s. And its great.
Same, it's got a certain type of harshness to it that's fitting of the time period.

Target sent an email. Pre order pushed to the 22nd like Nintendo said.
Amazon still doesn't have a delivery date listed for my order, but I'm not too pressed about it since I'm double-dipping. 😅 (I'll be kind of annoyed if it comes after the 22nd though.)

I just played the first section up until landing on Tallon for the first time. It took longer than it needed to because I stood around and scanned every possible thing.

I know the game pretty well after going through it a few times over the years, so I just want to take my time with this run and appreciate all the work that went into it. Seeing screenshots was impressive, but actually playing it takes it to another level.

Dread in 2021, Prime Remastered in 2023, Prime 4 likely no later than 2024... Metroid truly is back. I'm going to savor this as much as possible!

Crushed Blacks Solution
PSA for any goofs like me may be experiencing areas of pitch black and crushed darks:
As usual, always remember to make sure your color spaces are matched up between devices!

My TV was set to YCBCR(limited) color space, while my Switch was set to Automatic (and was apparently outputting RGB). I believe YCBCR is typically the norm for gaming, however switching that TV setting to Auto (which caused the tv to choose RGB instead, or by manually switching it to RGB) instantly solved my crushed blacks by matching up the color spaces between the two devices. Blacks are still black but areas of shadow are now full of detail.

I'm a little embarrassed because I'm a bit of a display enthusiast and usually very conscious of these settings. I don't recall ever having this matchup issue with my Switch games before though, that's weird. However a recent TV firmware update scrambled all my display settings, so I'll blame it on that. 😉

Before: Switch Automatic (RGB), TV YCBCR (Limited)
After: Switch Automatic (RGB), TV Automatic (RGB)
Whether you go with Limited or Full (or Auto), just make sure both are matching up!

QfAZ7jY.jpg

Last edited:
Dread in 2021, Prime Remastered in 2023, Prime 4 likely no later than 2024... Metroid truly is back. I'm going to savor this as much as possible!

Metroid II and Fusion on NSO too ;) it's all happening so quickly now, but I ain't complaining.

I can't believe that a week ago today I was wondering if this remaster even existed and now I have played and beaten it a week later.

Aaand I'm stuck... and still loving it. It starts requiring of the player to piece the different levels together. Just got the varia suit, and already passed through the lava section without avail. Time for more scrounging! EDIT: found it! Unrelated: I love how more open Phendrana Drifts looks :O .

There's a host of tiny little changes that would've been nice (gamma and FOV sliders, a confirmation dialogue when entering an elevator to prevent accidental load screens =P etc. ), but otherwise this game feels completely effortless - which is a sign of excellence.

In a weird way I'm reminded of Skyward Sword playing this. Maybe that game, with it's Metroidvania-light elements, prepared my mind for Dread which in turn prepared me for this. Curious what @brainchild , as a fellow Skyward Sword apologist, thinks of that!

Aesthetically this reminds me of both Metroid Dread (unsurprisingly), but more interestingly it feels like Morrowind in a way. More specifically, what a proper Morrowind remake would look like. Perhaps that's due to how the remade assets respect the angularity of the original art, something that was a technical necessity at the time.

Also, for anyone hoping Prime 4 will look even better: personally I don't count on it. Switch has been described as having a nice GPU, but challenging memory bandwidth and CPU constraints. A remake like this plays to the Switch's strengths perfectly, because the underlying game is relatively untaxing with it's Gamecube origins. Lots of confined spaces in this particular case. I am looking forward to what Retro will be able to do with the scale of the gameworld though! I like how compact this feels, but a more open environment could be awesome as well.

Finally, Doom 2016 cribbed quite a few things from Prime, didn't it? :p
If you think Prime 1 reminds you of SS, wait til you play Prime 2!

It’s structured into 3 distinct segments like SS

Is there any way to swap the buttons for beam fire and morph ball? Beam fire just feels like it should be on Y, and morph ball on the right trigger, but they’re reversed and it’s driving me crazy

I'm not enjoying the Infrared Visor combat section at all, with the stupid high contrast blurriness hurting my eyes and the stupid security drones jamming your vision even more. Just died there a second time, and it's obvious combat just isn't this game's strength.

Can't wait to get back to the chill exploration 'n puzzling with light combat the game does so well.

Another thing that surprised me about this is that despite how good it looks at 60fps, the battery doesn't die nearly as fast as in other similar games on the Switch like Portal 2 or Doom Eternal, and the fan doesn't go as crazy as in those. Is still not as good as an indie or an old emulated game in that sense, but it still kind of shocking imo.

Is there any way to swap the buttons for beam fire and morph ball? Beam fire just feels like it should be on Y, and morph ball on the right trigger, but they’re reversed and it’s driving me crazy
Okay scratch that, I was just fighting muscle memory from Gamecube. The blaster on the trigger works well, just had to get more of a feel for it

This is such a good looking game and even 60 fps. When I got to Phendrana I couldn't believe this is a Switch game. I had seen some videos but when you play it yourself.. just unbelievable!

Holy shit. As a first-time player, I just lost hours of progress (or at least it feels like it). Lost the Varia Suit.

And I even sequence broke (I think) by skipping Magmoor Cavern North, going back to Tallon IV Overworld and finding Magmoor Cavern East, then making my way to Phendrana Drifts North without ever exploring Magmoor Cavern North.

My hours of bliss were ruined by a lack of any autosave whatsoever. I can't believe save rooms are still this infrequent in the remaster. Lost 4 missile expansions too. Oh well, I at least killed the first major boss again and saved.

So the Infrared Visor sound effect is bugging me. Sounds like a dude counting from 1-5 over and over with a filter on it =P .
😂 I've never seen it described this way, but you're totally right.
I can't believe that a week ago today I was wondering if this remaster even existed and now I have played and beaten it a week later.
That's the way of the process, Joe. It's a wonderful thing.

Does any of the old speed running/sequence-breaking tech still work in this game? Scan-dashing doesn’t seem to be a thing anymore, which kills a lot of that. No more early space jump boots, RIP

Does any of the old speed running/sequence-breaking tech still work in this game? Scan-dashing doesn’t seem to be a thing anymore, which kills a lot of that. No more early space jump boots, RIP
Loads of stuff doesn't exist anymore, but most of that was due to the fact Metroid Prime got many updates/reprints that removed speedrun stuff on GameCube and some more on Wii. This remaster is built on the Wii version so anything that didn't exist there doesn't exist here. One thing I do know that is a remaster change is how out of bounds movement works and it is now way different and considerably harder than it was before.

Another variant of early space jump boots does exist in the Wii version which does work in the remastered version though.

Loads of stuff doesn't exist anymore, but most of that was due to the fact Metroid Prime got many updates/reprints that removed speedrun stuff on GameCube and some more on Wii. This remaster is built on the Wii version so anything that didn't exist there doesn't exist here. One thing I do know that is a remaster change is how out of bounds movement works and it is now way different and considerably harder than it was before.

Another variant of early space jump boots does exist in the Wii version which does work in the remastered version though.
Ah, got it. I’ve only ever played the original Gamecube version before, it’s the one I know really well. Didn’t realize a lot of that had been patched out later.

One of my most abiding impressions of Prime has always been its incredible sense of place; more than almost any other game I've played, it really felt like it transported me to another world, to the point I could almost smell the rain-soaked greenery of Tallon overworld or feel the icy cold of Phrendrana Drifts.

Many great games craft living, breathing worlds, but almost none managed to immerse me in one so deeply as Prime, to the point where in my mind, Tallon IV almost registers as a place I actually went to, like my student exchange to Japan as a teen.

I cannot wait to revisit it, both to experience how it has been reimagined, and with the greater understanding and appreciation I've gained with age.

I like how hard Metroid Prime commits to immersing you in Samus' perspective. The lighting on the helmet elements even changes based on the light sources in the environment.

I've been contemplating whether to buy this game or not. Only got Echoes on Gamecube and absolutely hated it. The game was unnecessarily difficult. There was this level where you life drops constantly and I think that was the most frustrating level in any FPS game. Difficulty was very unfair. (MP was super fun tho)

How is Prime 1? Easier or harder? I need something to play after I'm done with FE. A palate cleanser.

I've been contemplating whether to buy this game or not. Only got Echoes on Gamecube and absolutely hated it. The game was unnecessarily difficult. There was this level where you life drops constantly and I think that was the most frustrating level in any FPS game. Difficulty was very unfair. (MP was super fun tho)

How is Prime 1? Easier or harder? I need something to play after I'm done with FE. A palate cleanser.
Easier. Way easier. Its tanabe's fault that echoes was that hard.

Prime does have a problem with save points being too far away from each other but other than that its way easier than echoes.

Holy shit. As a first-time player, I just lost hours of progress (or at least it feels like it). Lost the Varia Suit.

And I even sequence broke (I think) by skipping Magmoor Cavern North, going back to Tallon IV Overworld and finding Magmoor Cavern East, then making my way to Phendrana Drifts North without ever exploring Magmoor Cavern North.

My hours of bliss were ruined by a lack of any autosave whatsoever. I can't believe save rooms are still this infrequent in the remaster. Lost 4 missile expansions too. Oh well, I at least killed the first major boss again and saved.
Get good.

Jk I think they didn’t want to mess with the game at all

Blasting through this again, what a great game.

I haven't really played it since it released, but I still remember a surprising amount.

Ridiculous how after all this time, the game just grabs you and won't let go. The video game equivalent of a page-turner.

Same, it's got a certain type of harshness to it that's fitting of the time period.
That has bugged me ever since 2002.

I hear "Dial zero zero three five hundred" so clearly, repeated again and again and again....

It's been so long since I've actually had to fight Thardus legitimately, he's tougher than I remember! He's just so much fun to obliterate with the plasma beam, I still think it's amazing that they actually bothered to make him weak to that despite there being no intended way to have it when you fight him.

Blasting through this again, what a great game.

I haven't really played it since it released, but I still remember a surprising amount.
It's been about eight years since I played before this and somehow I remembered just about everything very clearly. I was able to look at doors and have an exact picture in my head of what rooms were behind them. The muscle memory I have is so strong, it made me realize just how many times I've played this game.

It's been so long since I've actually had to fight Thardus legitimately, he's tougher than I remember! He's just so much fun to obliterate with the plasma beam, I still think it's amazing that they actually bothered to make him weak to that despite there being no intended way to have it when you fight him.

Wow, I didn't know that was a thing! You learn something new every day.

Back
Top Bottom