• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Prime Remastered |ST| Prime Prophecy Fulfilled

I just want nintendo to announce another metroid thing before mp4 releases. It doesnt need to be world shattering (also because i dont think theres much to be done before the game anyways) Like... a mobile game. Or a small prime 10$ spin off lol

(Me, having played 3D Zeldas and not playing a Prime game before this): Getting a lot of 3D Zelda vibes from this

Was cleaning out my files and realized I never posted these two late-game GIFs! Will put one behind a spoiler tag just in case you've manage not to spoil yourself in the last 20 years!

First up: the remastered phazon effect is sooooo good.
6od7F3c.gif

I love this moment! So satisfying. And honestly...I think Metroid Prime is a super lacklustre boss, so in my mind this is the final encounter lol
uqoR6NT.gif

The difficulty spike when you enter the Phazon Mines was no joke.
A bit stuck here, was hoping to find my next power up tonight but not really in the mood to keep dying right now :p

The difficulty spike when you enter the Phazon Mines was no joke.
A bit stuck here, was hoping to find my next power up tonight but not really in the mood to keep dying right now :p
I have always disliked that zone, this time I made sure to do everything I had to do, artifacts and energy tanks included, before leaving it for good, so that I don't have to come back later lol

After finishing this a couple days ago as a first time player, I'm still craving more Metroid Prime. Been watching Youtube retrospectives & reviews of MP 2 & 3 and everything.

The power pirates didn't take logn to remind me of the precise way I used to rank them in terms of difficulty, without variation, twenty years ago

Easiest to hardest

1. Ice Pirates. One Ice Spreader can potentially kill more than one in a single shot at the cost of five missiles. Mwa. Perfect. Though in the old days I remember being able to just freeze them and shatter them with one missile, and that was even better!
2. Power Pirates. Get smoked by a super missile, so five missiles. Slightly more likely to miss than the Ice Spreader, though nothing like it is against Chozo Ghosts
3. Plasma Pirates. The only one where it feels like the best solution is just charge shots, but that's OK, because the Plasma Beam is broken
4. Wave Pirates. These dudes. These dudes are the worst ones. So I can either hit them with three charge shots, including the double-shots inbetween, or I can spend God knows how many missiles taking them down safely with the Wavebuster or whatever it's called.

A group of wave pirates makes the Omega Pirate so much harder just because they're tedious to kill compared to the others

Wave Pirates are definitely the hardest ones, mostly due to the wave beam being super weak. I would say the plasma troopers are easier since you can shoot the plasma beam so quickly and accurately. No need to even charge.

My experience has always been the exact opposite. You can stun lock wave pirates to death like basically every enemy in the game.
In single fights they're no harder, but in a situation where you're fighting more than one Trooper, they take forever to kill and have to be left for last because of that, so they're taking constant potshots at you. This only comes up in one room in the Phazon Mines when approaching from the upper side and in the Omega Pirate battle, but when it does come up it is tedious

Also I guess them taking so long to kill comes up everywhere, while you have options to just delete the other pirates

In single fights they're no harder, but in a situation where you're fighting more than one Trooper, they take forever to kill and have to be left for last because of that, so they're taking constant potshots at you. This only comes up in one room in the Phazon Mines when approaching from the upper side and in the Omega Pirate battle, but when it does come up it is tedious

Also I guess them taking so long to kill comes up everywhere, while you have options to just delete the other pirates

By upper side, do you mean the room where the purple ones are introduced? Because if you go through that room slowly you basically never fight more than 2 at a time.

Everyone has their preferred methods, but for me the wave Beam is just easy mode. You don't have to try or even aim, just lock on, keep moving, and the pirate will die in several seconds. It's no Plasma Beam for sure, but I've never found it particularly difficult to navigate when fighting 2 or 3 pirates at once.

Edit: Hope I'm not coming across as dismissive, I just find the difference of experience between us interesting here.

Last edited:
I have always disliked that zone, this time I made sure to do everything I had to do, artifacts and energy tanks included, before leaving it for good, so that I don't have to come back later lol

Yeah Up until this point it's been a really good game.. this is a bit of a mood killer for me.

Ah well, will do another attempt after work today (or maybe during lunch break hehe)

Phazon Mines start out pretty normal, then you get to the freaking Fission Metroids and it becomes super annoying.

Back in my day, Fission Metroids only appeared in one room in the whole game! And they were still so stressful we just ran past them! Uphill, both ways!

Last edited:
To this day I've never tried to fight them. Either run past them or power bomb them during the final boss. Truly awful enemies

There's a certain room where I didn't realise they just keep respawning no matter how many you kill. But I didn't want to be trying to perform delicate first person platforming while worrying about them! So yeah I wasn't very well prepared for what came next.

Started playing today - since I already beat Prime 1 back on the Trilogy I'm trying to see if I can go for 100% logbook + items this playthrough. Made sure to scan the Parasites, Parasite Queen, and the Fall of Zebes log which I think are the only missables on Frigate Orpheon (someone please correct me if I'm wrong lol)

I really do hope they remaster Prime 2 and 3. Never finished those and while I do still have my copy of the Trilogy, I have no way to play it at the moment.

I must say it's a rare and delicious treat to see a game pushing top notch (semi) realistic graphics on the Switch.

Most games that make an effort to look good on the hardware adopt a more cartoonish style (not that there's anything wrong with that) while almost all games with a more grounded look are either ported up from PS3/360 or down from PS4/XBO.

It's quite novel to see what the Switch can do in this style when a game is crafted around its hardware by a talented developer.

arboretum-rune-3-1160x653.jpg

MetroidPrimeRemastered_scrn_022.jpg

I must say it's a rare and delicious treat to see a game pushing top notch (semi) realistic graphics on the Switch.

Most games that make an effort to look good on the hardware adopt a more cartoonish style (not that there's anything wrong with that) while almost all games with a more grounded look are either ported up from PS3/360 or down from PS4/XBO.

It's quite novel to see what the Switch can do in this style when a game is crafted around its hardware by a talented developer.

arboretum-rune-3-1160x653.jpg

MetroidPrimeRemastered_scrn_022.jpg
most other games that would fit that mold are multiplatform third party ports where games are designed for an entirely different tier of machine.

metroid prime r is a 20 year old game designed for 20 year old hardware that a first party dev with essentially "infinite time" (obviously not but different enough from third party circumstances to put it like that) can drape over a new graphics layer.

you just can't do straight comparisons like that.

I might sound like the dumbest idiot around here, and that's fine.

But my super bombs arent regenerating and I cant progress..
I've tried it all.. (obviously not), I've killed like 20 different enemies in tons of different rooms, reloaded the game, traversed across different regions and what not... nothing happens. Any ideas? :p

Edit: And obviously, the very next enemy I kill.. gives me a new bomb

I've tried it all.. (obviously not), I've killed like 20 different enemies in tons of different rooms, reloaded the game, traversed across different regions and what not... nothing happens. Any ideas? :p

who was it? they're clearly reading fami.
or were. rip.

They should be dropped semi-regularly, especially when killing enemies like Metroids or the parasite swarms, but if they just absolutely refuse to drop for any reason whatsoever I think they're refilled when you go to your ship

who was it? they're clearly reading fami.
or were. rip.

One of those white pirates

They should be dropped semi-regularly, especially when killing enemies like Metroids or the parasite swarms, but if they just absolutely refuse to drop for any reason whatsoever I think they're refilled when you go to your ship

It must have been a stretch of bad luck, because after I got the one.. they show up often enough I feel

This game looks out of this world on an OLED TV, I'm glad I bought it for this occasion, legitimately blown away with that delicious contrast. I also have ambient lighting and it's great to see how a tad more immersive the experience is with the light going out of the TV bezels, makes you feel like Samus lol

most other games that would fit that mold are multiplatform third party ports where games are designed for an entirely different tier of machine.

metroid prime r is a 20 year old game designed for 20 year old hardware that a first party dev with essentially "infinite time" (obviously not but different enough from third party circumstances to put it like that) can drape over a new graphics layer.

you just can't do straight comparisons like that.
I feel like you may have misinterpreted me.
I literally said that in my post, that other games with a realistic style were designed for different hardware, that was my whole point. I never directly compared the two graphically, I just said it was nice to have a game in this style where the graphics are built to Switch spec rather than ported from PS3/PS4/XB360/XBO.

I literally said that in my post, that other games with a realistic style were designed for different hardware, that was my whole point. I never directly compared the two graphically, I just said it was nice to have a game in this style where the graphics are built to Switch spec rather than ported from PS3/PS4/XB360/XBO.
I get what you meant. I think nintendo is too stuck on the cartoonish and the "whole anime aesthetic" so its great to see a game with more natural and realistic textures.

Still, MPR is far too static for my liking, im hoping Prime 4 really lits the switch on fire and add in a physics engine and a lighting system

I was more trying to respond to the " when a game is crafted around its hardware by a talented developer." bit since the game wasn't crafted around the hardware, the game underneath the new visuals is 20 years old and crafted around the gamecube.

it's ultimately all in the optimization which just usually isn't a priority for Switch SKUs in multiplatform ports which just makes it all the more annoying in retrospect whenever you see a game that is optimized incredibly well and shows that you can put almost anything on Switch and have it look good and run well if you give it enough time to cook properly.

I get what you meant. I think nintendo is too stuck on the cartoonish and the "whole anime aesthetic" so its great to see a game with more natural and realistic textures.

Still, MPR is far too static for my liking, im hoping Prime 4 really lits the switch on fire and add in a physics engine and a lighting system
where is nintendo "stuck on the cartoonish and the "whole anime aesthetic" exactly? you can find plenty of "realistic" textures across their games. pikmin, mario, xenoblade, zelda, splatoon, animal crossing. all of them. cartoony or anime-styled characters don't prohibit that at all.

if you want prime 4 to be 60fps (which it absolutely has to be), then you're not gonna get too much in terms of dynamic lighting and physics chaos. they're surely gonna up the ante but they'll do so while trying to stick to the quality baseline they've now set here and do their signature Retro Studios 60fps magic.

I was more trying to respond to the " when a game is crafted around its hardware by a talented developer." bit since the game wasn't crafted around the hardware, the game underneath the new visuals is 20 years old and crafted around the gamecube.

it's ultimately all in the optimization which just usually isn't a priority for Switch SKUs in multiplatform ports which just makes it all the more annoying in retrospect whenever you see a game that is optimized incredibly well and shows that you can put almost anything on Switch and have it look good and run well if you give it enough time to cook properly.

where is nintendo "stuck on the cartoonish and the "whole anime aesthetic" exactly? you can find plenty of "realistic" textures across their games. pikmin, mario, xenoblade, zelda, splatoon, animal crossing. all of them. cartoony or anime-styled characters don't prohibit that at all.

if you want prime 4 to be 60fps (which it absolutely has to be), then you're not gonna get too much in terms of dynamic lighting and physics chaos. they're surely gonna up the ante but they'll do so while trying to stick to the quality baseline they've now set here and do their signature Retro Studios 60fps magic.
This kind of convo never leads anywhere so i wont even bother to actually answer it.

After finishing this a couple days ago as a first time player, I'm still craving more Metroid Prime. Been watching Youtube retrospectives & reviews of MP 2 & 3 and everything.
Have you played Metroid Prime 3? The true greatest game of wii gen? That one is the real deal.

The only thing I still remember about Prime 3 is casting the nunchuk forward then back to rip an enemy’s shield away and that fucking ruled, so I believe the rest of it is great too lol. Hoping beyond hope that it and Echoes see a re-release

The only thing I still remember about Prime 3 is casting the nunchuk forward then back to rip an enemy’s shield away and that fucking ruled, so I believe the rest of it is great too lol. Hoping beyond hope that it and Echoes see a re-release
those locks that had you put the arm cannon into the lock, twist, then pull it back out were sick, too. love tactile stuff like that.

doing the grapple motion with the nunchuk can go away tho, imo.

those locks that had you put the arm cannon into the lock, twist, then pull it back out were sick, too. love tactile stuff like that.

doing the grapple motion with the nunchuk can go away tho, imo.
Oh man! Those locks were really cool, I forgot about those.

Motion grappling sounds rough. I found it to be a little finicky in Remastered with buttons sometimes!

So, do the relic location hints count as part of the 100% completion rate? Because if so, I'm fuuuuuuuuucked since I already had some of them...

There's a certain room where I didn't realise they just keep respawning no matter how many you kill. But I didn't want to be trying to perform delicate first person platforming while worrying about them! So yeah I wasn't very well prepared for what came next.

I think I have just done this very bit you are referring to and yes, it was very annoying having that happening right before the next bit.

"When the graphics are crafted around its hardware", I meant.

Most of the time, the visuals we get are either built to PS3/360 spec and so not really taking advantage of what the Switch can do, or built to PS4/XBO spec, and so have to be squashed down to fit into Switch's more limited rendering budget.

Prime Remastered is a rare example of (semi) realistic graphics built to Switch spec with a focus on maximum fidelity. It's something we hardly ever see, so it's a nice novelty. That's all I meant.

Last edited:
Aaaaand completed!

Even after twenty years this game is a goat. This time around I was a bit more annoyed with the Phazon Mines, despite getting it through it relatively easy.

Still, that minor annoyance didn’t hinder my enjoyment of the game. Talon IV Overworld, Chozo Ruins, Phendrana… they’re fantastic areas and I was still amazed I knew so many locations of missile packs and energy tanks. And the boss battles! Still good.

Back
Top Bottom