• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Strikers: Battle League |ST| So much hurt, it's fun!

I really didn’t understand the game for the first session I played but now I’m enjoying it a lot.
The problem now is more that my teammates never like to pass and just get tackled instead

Haha yeah, in 2 on 2 situation you see people not going for the best solutions.

The second time around it’s been far more enjoyable. Although I suspect I played against younger players. Yesterday evening I lost all but one match, and now I played five matches and only lost one. 2 x 3-0, 1 x 5-1 and 1 time just 1-0. Tackling was more natural this time around and scored with several perfect shots. The player selection is more logical this time around.

I think I won’t buy the game (never was planning too), but the second time around it’s been way more fun.

Fourth session I was teamed up with a team of two and I had, barely chaotic, fun, body-checking fools to keep 'em of our Yoshi / Toad / whoever was charging up a shot at the time. For the last two games it was back to 2v2 and that was, again, unmanagable as me and my teammates got in each other's way. They both seemed to be brand new and couldn't get anything going on offense, but doing it myself was also near impossible with never knowing for sure what character I'd be next.

If the full game has 4v4 (three or four Switches per team), I miiiight be back on board. Otherwise I'll stick to Switch Sports Soccer.

If the full game has 4v4 (three or four Switches per team), I miiiight be back on board. Otherwise I'll stick to Switch Sports Soccer.
4v4 is limited to 2 switches per team with 2 players per Switch for Quick Play but 4v4 with a Switch per player is for the Club mode iirc. I think someone in the Mario Strikers discord spoke to Nintendo support about it and the website implies it.

Had another set of wild games.

Someone stole my dopamine every time though as we conceded at the very end multiple times in a row, aside from one game where a last minute double blue hyperstrike from my boy Donkey Kong clinched it.

Will try make the next session later today but otherwise excited for release.

4v4 is limited to 2 switches per team with 2 players per Switch for Quick Play but 4v4 with a Switch per player is for the Club mode iirc. I think someone in the Mario Strikers discord spoke to Nintendo support about it and the website implies it.

Hmm, I suppose with a large enough club it might become possible to jump into a 4v4 as if it was Quick Play, but, yeah, that probably means I'm out. Thanks for letting me know before I grew too hopeful.

Just played my first session after beimg away for the rest of the weekend.

It's incredible, can't wait to explore what a 4x4 match will actually be like.

I can confirm my skills at this game are GREATLY improved by alcohol.

Also game still fun, hyped for release day.

Hit two perfect hyper strikes in one game for the clutch win. Filthy.

Worst bit was that we couldn't score from open play but our opponents had done so multiple times.

Joined with a team that had two players locally and had a good time.

It's important to have some level of organization, like not having all your players too clumped together to be wiped by a single shell or bomb and have some people ready midfield in case the other team gets a runaway ball. I've definitely played against very effective teams that seemed to have their roles down, as in, people who would mainly be aggressors tackling the other team at all opportunities with one or two people focused on handling the ball. There should be some interesting team dynamics once people start doing league stuff in the actual game.

I would say the ball visibility definitely needs to be improved given how easy it can be lost amid item chaos. Also I could see people being turned off by how aggressive the opposing team is capable of being.

This game will be fine. Not as good as Sega Soccer Slam, still, but fine. I'll mostly play in SP, so I'm not worried about online play too much. I don't think that online play was very good, and things still look chaotic on screen.

After playing for four sessions, I think I've got a much better handle on the game than I did at first. Hopefully some of the early updates will make improvements like ball visibility, but I was having plenty of fun by the end!

In one of my last games, no one was able to score for the longest time, until we finally got a Hyper Strike in during overtime. Was intense as hell.

After a rather flawless online experience all weekend I had two ocassions in the last session where the game froze for a bit and then play continued, except I wasn't in control. I could watch the action in perfectly smooth frame rate, but the player with my number over its head seemed to be CPU controlled. It was as if only my controller had disconnected.

The first time this happened another player left the game after about half a minute, leaving me to think I wasn't the only one experiencing it. The second time I didn't stick around since time was prescious this final hour.

After a rather flawless online experience all weekend I had two ocassions in the last session where the game froze for a bit and then play continued, except I wasn't in control. I could watch the action in perfectly smooth frame rate, but the player with my number over its head seemed to be CPU controlled. It was as if only my controller had disconnected.

The first time this happened another player left the game after about half a minute, leaving me to think I wasn't the only one experiencing it. The second time I didn't stick around since time was prescious this final hour.
Huh, strange...

Despite liking the animations I just couldn't get into the game in the end. I'll be keeping an eye on it though and if they include characters like E. Gadd and Pauline in the DLC I'll consider giving it another shot.

Despite liking the animations I just couldn't get into the game in the end. I'll be keeping an eye on it though and if they include characters like E. Gadd and Pauline in the DLC I'll consider giving it another shot.

I think the only non-Luigi's Mansion game E. Gadd has ever apperead is the Mario & Luigi series. Despite the NLG development, I think it's very unlikely he will appear.

I think the only non-Luigi's Mansion game E. Gadd has ever apperead is the Mario & Luigi series. Despite the NLG development, I think it's very unlikely he will appear.
He's in Mario Party 6 on his own board (non-playable) and a costume in Mario Maker. Don't think that makes his chances any better tho lol

I didn't play the demo, but based on the comments I read about the 2 vs 2 matches, I hope NLG has time to change the game so that each player only controls the characters they have selected. I mean, it seems like the obvious solution here. More than that, it seems like the most obvious implementation from the start. One has to wonder why they went for a more complicated approach.

I didn't play the demo, but based on the comments I read about the 2 vs 2 matches, I hope NLG has time to change the game so that each player only controls the characters they have selected. I mean, it seems like the obvious solution here. More than that, it seems like the most obvious implementation from the start. One has to wonder why they went for a more complicated approach.
I think that would be a regression because then CPUs will take over those characters for the whole match. 2v2, by the end of the demo, actually ended up feeling really nice. 4v4 will basically be what you are saying where the character you choose is the character you play as for the whole match.

Formulating opinions on gameplay based on hearsay is usually a bad idea.

Also what Skipper said. Doing that would mean half of the team would be CPU controlled for no reason. If you made it so you could only alternate between the two characters you selected instead, that would also be the mess it's now, but you'd have less control over what's happening.

The way MSBL does it isn't any different from any other football/soccer game out there, really. It's just that for a lot of people, this might be the first/only game like this they play.

Since the game has now leaked, we know the credits and
unknown.png

Retro Studios assisted with development.

Formulating opinions on gameplay based on hearsay is usually a bad idea.

Also what Skipper said. Doing that would mean half of the team would be CPU controlled for no reason. If you made it so you could only alternate between the two characters you selected instead, that would also be the mess it's now, but you'd have less control over what's happening.

The way MSBL does it isn't any different from any other football/soccer game out there, really. It's just that for a lot of people, this might be the first/only game like this they play.
Well, I didn't really formulate an opinion on the game. I just meant that the reception I read towards the demo seemed to be more negative than usual for a Mario Sports entry, which are titles that may have their issues, but that are usually pretty solid from a mechanics / accessibility standpoint. And based on that I was wondering if there is any way NLG could use the feedback to make 2v2 less messy.

But you are right, maybe the solution I proposed was not the best one, especially given the fact I have yet to play the game.

Game seems to have leaked, people are playing it on Twitch. I want to see if there is any unlockables in terms of Gear, Stadium and even Characters.
So far we know unlockable gear from cup battles and unlockable difficulties for cup battles

Well, I didn't really formulate an opinion on the game. I just meant that the reception I read towards the demo seemed to be more negative than usual for a Mario Sports entry, which are titles that may have their issues, but that are usually pretty solid from a mechanics / accessibility standpoint. And based on that I was wondering if there is any way NLG could use the feedback to make 2v2 less messy.

But you are right, maybe the solution I proposed was not the best one, especially given the fact I have yet to play the game.

Well, the full game also doesn't seem to force the 2v2 on players, AFAIK, so there's that. For what's worth, outside of enthusiast forums, the reception has mostly been positive, so I'm not too worried about it, really.

Game seems to have leaked, people are playing it on Twitch. I want to see if there is any unlockables in terms of Gear, Stadium and even Characters.

Another win for preservation!!!

/s

First review came out, who is creating the Review Thread?

i'll post it in ~30 mins

edit:

Last edited:
Overall, I'm happy with the reviews. It reviewed around as well as the older games, reviewers are not that hot on Mario Strikers because of the series just lacking content but thrives off presentation and gameplay.

Any thoughts on what characters everyone's going to run?

I'm thinking a defensive duo of DK & Waluigi, with Luigi in midfield and Mario up front.

Also really want to do a villains only team with Wario, Bowser etc. but probably need some gear unlocks first to make it work.

Good question - I'm not sure

Yeah... because I had fun theorycrafting my perfect team before the test kick and then... well.

The only thing I'm still sure about is Waluigi needs to be in there somewhere, even if he can't stick to the sweeper position. Strength and Speed are an effective combo and Waluigi is the only one who has both. Outside that I'm not sure and my best guess it'll ultimately depend on what people figure out the best Hyper Strikes are and whether Passing + Technique with direct shots from lobs or Strength + Shooting for shrugging off tackles and charging up are the broken strategies on offense.

Yeah... because I had fun theorycrafting my perfect team before the test kick and then... well.

The only thing I'm still sure about is Waluigi needs to be in there somewhere, even if he can't stick to the sweeper position. Strength and Speed are an effective combo and Waluigi is the only one who has both. Outside that I'm not sure and my best guess it'll ultimately depend on what people figure out the best Hyper Strikes are and whether Passing + Technique with direct shots from lobs or Strength + Shooting for shrugging off tackles and charging up are the broken strategies on offense.
Agreed on Waluigi.

I love team comp theorycraft so would be a real shame if it's irrelevant or you need a team full of all rounders to compensate for non-fixed AI positioning.

I'll have my boy DK in either way but Peach's movement and hyper strike seem really good.

Have some of the gameplay mechanics been removed from the Wii game? You don’t seem to build up a combo from successfully passing the ball that increases your shots chance of getting into the back of the net? Have they also removed players individual skills? I.e toad would flip over opposition players heads while keeping the ball?

Back
Top Bottom