• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Strikers: Battle League |ST| So much hurt, it's fun!

So...uh...I had fun? I don't really feel like mentioning it because I don't want to come accross as a shill but...uh...I had a lot of fun?

...yeah another game which I like that everyone despises that I am not alowed to talk on the internet because I just have my gameplay wires crossed or something...
It's fun to play when I can actually tell what's going on. I just gotta get through that barrier first.

So...uh...I had fun? I don't really feel like mentioning it because I don't want to come accross as a shill but...uh...I had a lot of fun?

...yeah another game which I like that everyone despises that I am not alowed to talk on the internet because I just have my gameplay wires crossed or something...
why should you care what the people here think? you had fun and based on reactions from other sites the reaction is mostly positive

Honestly, I enjoyed the game itself, I just hated the forced coop with random people setting.

It's fun to play when I can actually tell what's going on. I just gotta get through that barrier first.
I guess a big reason why I enjoyed it was that after I realized that we were switching between all the characters on the team, I actually didn't have that hard a time following my number which looking at it a lot of people did have a hard time doing. I mean, I still lost a majority of my games but I also suck and Mario Strikers so that's not the surprising thing.

I have 2 takeaways.

1. Next level games have permanently moved into my top 5 developers all time.
2. The game is fucking fun and I will be purchasing it.

How did you have those big numbers showing in the players head? In my game it was small circles for the left side team and small diamonds for the right one. Both the icon and the number with the same color (one lighter the other darker).
I think there's visual assit mode in the options.
By the way, some people are already really good, my first match the player in my team could score from almost anywhere using perfect curve balls (the player name was TJ, was it you @TJTree ?)
Unfortunately, that's not me. I wish I was that good though. lol

2v2 for the demo was a bad decision. I just wanna play Strikers like I did back on the Wii, meanwhile I can't tell who is about to get the ball on the demo.

It’s actually wild how much more chaotic this seems in practice than charged. Toning done the chaos was like, the one thing I was pretty much positive would be different about this one from Charged given the trailers etc. but somehow no, it feels like playing a Mario Kart custom game on Baby Park with blue shells only

This game need time to adjust to

but the potential is there with how complex and fun it can be this early , NLG are really not just animations

Ok I didn't make the first session due to it being very early in the day but 2v2 sounds like a mistake, maybe I should avoid randos and do it with a friend so we can coordinate. But overall impressions I've seen outside of famiboards/discord seem really positive.

May skip the test kick if I can't do it co-op. 2v2 mode with random matchmaking sounds like it has problems 1v1 and 4v4 won't have - sure this also got mentioned in a couple of previews I read.

1v1 obviously works because you control everything and 4v4 should work because you control only one Striker (if you have a full team); 2v2 with someone online via random matchmaking sounds tough to coordinate.

Yeah sorry but this 2v2 online demo was basically unplayable. On top of that the characters feel so much slower

The game also seems to hit similar red flags to pretty much every modern iteration of Nintendo multiplayer series besides Smash and Mario Kart

• Full price
  • Lacklauster modes
  • Launches with half the game, gets DLC for one year, gets forgotten after
  • Some lame stat/RPG system
  • Some random shallow timing mechanic so internet fanboys can say stuff like “it’s so deep and competitive, it’s just like a fighting game”

Yeah this is not fun, usually it’s my favorite Mario sport alongside Mario Tennis but sadly both of these fumbled hard on Switch

Also saying it’s a new sport called “Strike” is extra corny, just say it’s football. We all know that Bowser and DK cheat, no one cares

I see some people have complained about not being able to know who has the ball - you just need to focus on the big red/blue circle underneath it.

• Some random shallow timing mechanic so internet fanboys can say stuff like “it’s so deep and competitive, it’s just like a fighting game”
I understand your issues, I don't agree with all of your points but I definitely do not agree with this statement, it adds a lot to the game. Some of the best players of Super Mario Strikers and Mario Strikers Charged in the Mario Strikers discord are eating it up because it is deep and competitive and they aren't just some 'internet fanboys'.

I didn't stay up to play the first session so I'm hype for the second one.

Reading these impressions has prepared me for how confusing the first couple matches would be otherwise, I feel.

I haven't played a multiplayer game in a loooong time, but this does look rather good.

And what's with Waluigi?

...is what I ask every time I see him.

Found this surprisingly more manageable than the comments in here seem to suggest. Played three matches, lost the first two and won the third once I got the hang of things. I'm pretty down on Mario sports titles lately but this seems like a case of some UI issues plus people being overwhelmed by new mechanics (similar to what happened with Tennis Aces). Not to mention the puzzling decision to make matches 2v2 when it's probably the worst way to experience this game.

Turning on the visual assists in the settings plus setting character switching to auto helps a lot but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the choices they made will put people off this game. If it doesn't happen with this stress test, it will definitely happen once people get their hands on the game. The playerbase is not going to last if they don't fix it by launch.

Played several matches with a friend and it was a ton of fun. A bit confusing at first with the numbering system but we quickly got used to it, and with some good coordination we destroyed our opponents.

Controls are super tight and online is solid. It's going to be a very solid title. It's far better than Charged.

This has put me off the game. I'm sure in time I could learn what's heppening/how to play but my 1st impression is I don't want to risk £40 to find out if that's true. In one match my teammate just didn't move, others I just wasn't good, couldn't follow etc etc

Second play session made me ever so slightly start to turn around on the game, in that there were fun moments where players were spread out across the pitch and combinations and circling the ball and intercepting with well-timed tackles happened as intended, but throw items or deflections or body pile-ups in there and it's unreadable chaos again where suddenly someone scores a goal and I don't know what happened.

Looking beyond the visual problems, there's iffy stuff like the hyperstrikers and shooting/goalkeeper rng which have me skeptical about how much fun I'd get out the money I'd drop on the full game.

I really enjoyed it too. Although I did play with my brother so we could coordinate a bit. The gameplay is quick and it feels good to pull off some coordinated moves. Only complaint is that so many people skip the animations :[

Hyperstrike is pretty balanced honestly. It's hard to pull off the good timing, the charge timing is long and you can be tackled in every frame of the animation, and if you don't pull it off perfectly then the goalkeeper will usually block it.

Based on this thread I was expecting it to be a lot worse, and was pleasantly surprised. It's about as hard to keep track of as I remember Charged being at the beginning.

Played some matches with randoms and some with a friend online, and everything was sort of flawless, too. Had a blast.

Well I… kinda hated what I played.
Good thing this play test is here :s

Put me in the camp that had a good enough time given the circumstances. My teammate was a massive ball hog and never let me take shots, but I had fun being a Strike goon.

My only major complaint is that the item drops are a little too frequent. I haven’t played Charged in forever so maybe that was similar.

damn. was not expecting so much hate here. i thought it was sooooo much fun. especially with friends, it’s so exhilarating. can’t wait for the next testfire time!!

Put me in the camp that had a good enough time given the circumstances. My teammate was a massive ball hog and never let me take shots, but I had fun being a Strike goon.

My only major complaint is that the item drops are a little too frequent. I haven’t played Charged in forever so maybe that was similar.
Charged's item drops had a fixed interval that would show up either between making charged shots or by being tackled. It was easy to take advantage of if you knew what you were doing but it probably feels more frequent here since the pitch is smaller and because you now have to collect pickups after fulfilling the criteria and they take up more of the play space.

Charged's item drops had a fixed interval that would show up either between making charged shots or by being tackled. It was easy to take advantage of if you knew what you were doing but it probably feels more frequent here since the pitch is smaller and because you now have to collect pickups after fulfilling the criteria and they take up more of the play space.
Ah, that’s right. I thought the pitch was smaller!

Do we know if this has a single player campaign? I kind of enjoyed the demo, but not 100% if I want to jump in at launch at this stage. A decent single played campaign might swing it

Oof missed both previous time slots from the demo, I'm going to set up an alarm for the next one

The tutorial seemed interesting, I gotta retry and fully complete the timed matches where you have to dodge a few times though, it's very weird to have to give room for the AI to try to tackle you xD. [Edit: just completed all missions, including the perfect moves one. I ended up trying to do every objective that was not perfect dodging, as fast as possible, then I had some time to start running in circles so that the AI tried to tackle me so I could complete the dodging objective]

Btw I only have some Fifa and Pes experience before and the controls seems somewhat inspired by them so it's somewhat familiar. I think I'll need to get used to the aimed pass though, on Fifa/Pes there's a dedicated button for a "through ball", that is, a pass a bit more distant so that the teammate have to run towards it, while in this one is more manual

Anyway looking forward to it!

Last edited:
I was so hyped for this game ‘cause after loving Nintendo Switch Sports soccer, I thought Strikers would be even better (I never got around to playing either of the past two Strikers games), but I’m finding it extremely difficult to keep track of what’s going on on screen… Whether it’s the ball, the character I’m currently controlling, what the opponent’s doing, my items, etc., I just cannot seem to keep track of it all at once. I’ll be getting the game regardless, but it definitely is a bummer that it’s not what I expected at all and I vastly prefer Nintendo Switch Sports soccer… Maybe I just need to practice more but I dunno.

I was so hyped for this game ‘cause after loving Nintendo Switch Sports soccer, I thought Strikers would be even better (I never got around to playing either of the past two Strikers games), but I’m finding it extremely difficult to keep track of what’s going on on screen… Whether it’s the ball, the character I’m currently controlling, what the opponent’s doing, my items, etc., I just cannot seem to keep track of it all at once. I’ll be getting the game regardless, but it definitely is a bummer that it’s not what I expected at all and I vastly prefer Nintendo Switch Sports soccer… Maybe I just need to practice more but I dunno.
you may enjoy rocket league

Quoted by: Tye
damn. was not expecting so much hate here. i thought it was sooooo much fun. especially with friends, it’s so exhilarating. can’t wait for the next testfire time!!
I think that was the problem. Most of us did not play with friends.
For now I'll not play the test again unless I can coordinate with someone. Otherwise I'll just wait to play the full game.

you may enjoy rocket league
I don’t want to enjoy Rocket League, I want to enjoy Mario Strikers: Battle League! =P

I basically never fail to enjoy Nintendo games so this is an unusual and frustrating case for me. I feel like I’m missing something, ‘cause even the basic act of controlling and keeping track of the game just isn’t clicking for me.

I don’t want to enjoy Rocket League, I want to enjoy Mario Strikers: Battle League! =P

I basically never fail to enjoy Nintendo games so this is an unusual and frustrating case for me. I feel like I’m missing something, ‘cause even the basic act of controlling and keeping track of the game just isn’t clicking for me.
strikers is kinda hard

be glad you've never been bad at a nintendo game before

Back
Top Bottom