• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Strikers: Battle League |ST| So much hurt, it's fun!

strikers is kinda hard

be glad you've never been bad at a nintendo game before
It’s not that I’ve never been bad at a Nintendo game before, it’s that I always enjoy them—whether I’m good at a game or not (though it’s rare that I’m particularly bad at them, I guess, lol). But I feel like being unable to do something as basic as keeping track of the ball or the character I’m controlling is a bit more than just being “bad” at the game. If anyone’s got tips, though, I’d love to hear them because I want to be able to play and enjoy this game too.

I was starting to get used to things towards the end, but 2v2 definitely feels like it’s going to be the worst of the multiplayer options. Way too hard to tell who you’re controlling, although auto did help. I'll have to turn on visual assist as well and see if that helps.

However, the highlight of my night was my teammate and I scoring a goal after passing the ball between all four of our characters in rapid succession. Was an awesome moment.

It’s not that I’ve never been bad at a Nintendo game before, it’s that I always enjoy them—whether I’m good at a game or not (though it’s rare that I’m particularly bad at them, I guess, lol). But I feel like being unable to do something as basic as keeping track of the ball or the character I’m controlling is a bit more than just being “bad” at the game. If anyone’s got tips, though, I’d love to hear them because I want to be able to play and enjoy this game too.
there's definitely a skill floor to this one

I don’t want to enjoy Rocket League, I want to enjoy Mario Strikers: Battle League! =P

I basically never fail to enjoy Nintendo games so this is an unusual and frustrating case for me. I feel like I’m missing something, ‘cause even the basic act of controlling and keeping track of the game just isn’t clicking for me.
Strikers has always had a skill floor that isn't quite as low as in other Mario Sports titles because you're controlling a full team with controls that change depending on whether you have the ball or not, though Battle League might take the longest to adjust to because of how different it is to the other entries. In the first game it was a lot more spaced out and simplified, while in Charged there was a very overt loop to ball handling that had more simple appeal (chain passes to charge up and shoot). In Battle League, the playing field is a tad smaller, the game has stamina features, and there's a few more commands to work with. Not helping matters for newcomers is that items bring about a degree of threat and chaotic claustrophobia, and combine it with the default 2v2 mode with randoms in this demo, and it's about as overwhelming as being a first timer thrown into a Smash Bros. trial by fire in Hyrule Castle with all items on.

Readability in Battle League is a bit tricky, but basically I'd recommend paying less attention to the ball itself and more to the circle. I would also suggest switching control mode to Auto to make life way easier for you when doing passes, The biggest hurdle in 2v2 is generally knowing who you're in control over, but the Auto function alleviates things by making it so that anytime you pass, you'll switch control over to the other character assuming they're CPU controlled. To that end I'd recommend trying to stick to one character as much as possible. It's likely you might lose a few rounds since maybe you'll have relented on opportunities when you can swap over to another character and tackle them, but I think the important part is just getting a feel for your own character and the tackle/dodge process. Switching on the visual assist won't alleviate the visibility entirely but it should at least give you a better idea of your overall location.

After that, I'd say take your time and see if you can get into a good groove. Things to keep in mind that doing fully charged tackles will stun you if you miss, so only do regular tackles until you get a proper hang of that. High strength characters like Waluigi and Bowser have an easier time playing this kind of role. Try focusing more on weaving and shooting when you're in ball possession, it might seem antithetical to team work but only pass if you're in rough spots. Try to set aside doing any of the more advanced techniques like through passes and team tackles until you feel comfortable just controlling the space surrounding one character. After that you can start experimenting more.

Of course, there's a good chance it won't click and I don't blame anyone if that doesn't happen, but it's quite a magical game when things come together, and if 2v2 isn't working out for you then hopefully the 1v1 gives you more breathing room to maneuver.

Btw I'm trying the visual aid option on the settings menu, I have only played the tutorial though so I dunno how much it helps on actual matches but maybe it's worth trying

On the tutorial I've noticed it puts circles over your teammates, diamond shapes over your adversaries or vice-versa, and your character gets a bigger circle with the number inside it, dunno if it also does something else

Last edited:
Okay. Update the thread. Seeing the ball is an issue. If there is a way to help that would be cool. Love the game though it’s chaos for sure.
Update: Your character is a bit more visible with the visibility option on and it's more playable with auto enabled. It's still a little confusing, but not nearly as much as it was. I didn't know you could switch characters with the L button last time either, so that's a big help.

It's ... uh... I understand jack squat.

What does even 2v2 or 4v4 mean? I once played a match with another player, does that mean we controlled one team member each? But then 2 other players joined, do we control half a team each? What does "auto" and "manual" mean above the characters when you select, and which player is the "captain" and what does that mean? Is gear just a fashion choice? What does the numbers above the heads of the characters mean, and why doesn't they say, like, P1 or P2? There's .. so much happening on screen.

I feel dumb .. Pretty sure my opponent rage quit because I was just running around.

It's ... uh... I understand jack squat.

What does even 2v2 or 4v4 mean? I once played a match with another player, does that mean we controlled one team member each? But then 2 other players joined, do we control half a team each? What does "auto" and "manual" mean above the characters when you select, and which player is the "captain" and what does that mean? Is gear just a fashion choice? What does the numbers above the heads of the characters mean, and why doesn't they say, like, P1 or P2? There's .. so much happening on screen.

I feel dumb .. Pretty sure my opponent rage quit because I was just running around.
Manual means you stick to controlling one character until you manually switch with the L button. Auto means it switches the character you control when you pass, provided that the character you're passing to is controlled by a CPU player. My personal recommendation is using Auto.

The numbers seem to dictate the actual character order as opposed to player. My recommendation is switching on the visual aid because that'll put a circle around it to show more overtly which one you're controlling.

You're able to swap between all characters in the team except the one your partner player is currently controlling. These same stipulations apply to your partner player.

The Captain role decides the stadium and jerseys. Outside of that, the only game play effect captains have is deciding who starts with the ball during kick-off, and maybe who has to mash during Hyper Strike defenses.

Gear isn't really available in the demo. In the full game it affects not only the visuals but also the stats.

Oof that’s hectic; I think I would have appreciated playing one on one. If I have full control of the team I could play to my style. Still, the game is fun, but I can understand why people find it hectic. Tackling, passing, character switching, it’s so fast paced.

Still, this game is a bit busy for my liking and I absolutely sucked at it. Did get one win, but the others I just narrowly lost lol. Still, one on one could be a lot more fun.

Ok, I'll update the OP noting to check out the settings for the visual assistance setting if people are having issues with it and don't know the setting exists.

2vs2 sucks but I had a blast playing the game, online was pretty smooth for me, did not notice anything major surprisingly enough.

Besides the lag that wasn't too bad. Baffling decision to to force you to play with another person. 1v1 and 4v4 will be amazing in this game.

Just got to play 3 matches with a friend and yeah, it becomes another game, much better. Too bad our third match had a lot of lag, on the second one we started getting the hang of it, making actual plays, lots of fun.

Update: Your character is a bit more visible with the visibility option on and it's more playable with auto enabled. It's still a little confusing, but not nearly as much as it was. I didn't know you could switch characters with the L button last time either, so that's a big help.
Yeah my daughter was going crazy she didn’t know how she was switching. I really wish they did more than just the hour. They should have just make it for the whole day.

This was my second session and I had a fantastic time this time around with some great games. It's incredible once you understand how to play somewhat optimally, and the Strikers magic I've been looking for is finally shining. I thought it was a good time my first session, but after my second one I'm actively itching to play more.

I got a half hour in this time and put the player switching on automatic. All the games so far have been very smooth for me, no discernable lag.

There is a lot to take in here.

I wasn't even thinking about using items for the first few games, just focusing on player placement, passing and shooting, but it felt pretty good. Tacking well will take some getting used to. There is a lot of potential for team synergy if you got the right people and have some level of communication.

I could see competitive being pretty fun to watch with people who have a grasp on all the mechanics, especially when you start playing around with the gear stuff. I'll try again later today.

Played a bit more and while I’m still struggling a lot, I’m getting a better hang it if ever so slightly. Playing on a team with my partner rather than a random stranger also helps some, but I still find myself constantly losing sight of the ball and which character I’m controlling.

I tried the visual assist option, but it seems to be primarily just a colorblind option. I found that it actually makes it more difficult for me to keep track of who I’m controlling because it makes all the characters on my team have an icon of the same shape. My problem isn’t telling my own team’s characters from the opponent’s, it’s telling which character I’m currently controlling on my team versus which ones my teammate is controlling, since it’s constantly changing. The game could really use some better visual indicators for things, I think.

I was fortunate enough to have some 4 player matches (got matched with another group of 2). While 2 or 3 in a team is fun, 4 was way better. You don't have to worry about switching characters and no cpu's means your entire team is doing things. Those matches were definitely the highlight for me

Third play session I found a hack to make 2v2 kinda tolerable, maybe even tactical: When my team goes on offense, and I'm not the player who won possession, I just pick the best defender and hang back while my teammate gets free reign over the other three characters to orchestrate our offense. Of course, the problem is you can't expect to get the same benefit in return if you're the one charging forward after a successful challenge, but in theory that method of splitting up roles works. And the passive player can still be useful intercepting enemies before they get in range to tackle anyone, toss out items, run into open space to provide a passing option the CPU is too dumb to open up, or pre-emptively take down the other side's highest shooting skill character before they can pass to them in case of a turn-over.

Football games always need time to adjust to, Especially with how fast and chaotic this game can be and with all the technical tricks you need to apply

many people won't find this much fun until they get the time to understand the mechanics on their own and more than one hour of play time online

Played local co-op online with a friend (who ordinarily hates football) - we both loved it.

Many laugh out loud moments when we were flattened and then air punches when the goals went in.

After 2 sessions of playing, I think NLG have nailed this. The game might take time to get used to but oh boy when you start to get the hang of it online, it is so satisfying. This game is going to have more longevity than Tennis Aces and Golf Super Rush and from what I am seeing in the Mario Strikers discord, a bright competitive future too.

After 2 sessions of playing, I think NLG have nailed this. The game might take time to get used to but oh boy when you start to get the hang of it online, it is so satisfying. This game is going to have more longevity than Tennis Aces and Golf Super Rush and from what I am seeing in the Mario Strikers discord, a bright competitive future too.

What are the competitive players' feelings about stats & customization?

I see reason to worry about min/maxing, expecially if future seasons unlock better gear than the current +2/-2 options. Some characters can already socre from the sides of the halfway line, and they're at less than 70% of the shooting cap. If that number gets pushed any higher, they may not even need the time to get a perfect shot of and will score with the barest window of opportunity.

Enjoyed my time with the trial! This isn’t exactly a game for me, especially without a single player experience, but I appreciated the chance to go hands on with it and am so happy fans of the series got a revival!

What are the competitive players' feelings about stats & customization?

I see reason to worry about min/maxing, expecially if future seasons unlock better gear than the current +2/-2 options. Some characters can already socre from the sides of the halfway line, and they're at less than 70% of the shooting cap. If that number gets pushed any higher, they may not even need the time to get a perfect shot of and will score with the barest window of opportunity.
Yeah they seem like they are a fan of the concept because of the added depth but they are still waiting for the full game to see what it really has to offer.

EDIT: Also a mention of how they can use their favourite characters while keeping them competitively viable.

Last edited:
Question before the next round of play. Can two players play together on the same switch?

So after my third session, this game has started to grow on me. I had one teammate that was really good and we won like 6 in a row before a disconnect. It does get easier once you get the mechanics down.

Gonna wait for a sale, but I am not writing this game off by any means.

I'm thinking I'm getting used to the flow of game, I did lose terribly once but in later matches it felt like I was being more consistent, and my last two matches were relatively safe wins. Auto-switching made it more manageable, I didn't know I was just delegating control to the cpu when it was manual xD I thought it was just the other player receiving the pass

I'll probably get it day one tbh, I'm curious about the reviews for the whole package and interested in how the equipment (which are not present in the demo) will affect the game's balance, but I can see myself sinking quite some time in matches like these

Manual means you stick to controlling one character until you manually switch with the L button. Auto means it switches the character you control when you pass, provided that the character you're passing to is controlled by a CPU player. My personal recommendation is using Auto.

The numbers seem to dictate the actual character order as opposed to player. My recommendation is switching on the visual aid because that'll put a circle around it to show more overtly which one you're controlling.

You're able to swap between all characters in the team except the one your partner player is currently controlling. These same stipulations apply to your partner player.

The Captain role decides the stadium and jerseys. Outside of that, the only game play effect captains have is deciding who starts with the ball during kick-off, and maybe who has to mash during Hyper Strike defenses.

Gear isn't really available in the demo. In the full game it affects not only the visuals but also the stats.

Thank you so much! So what does 2v2 or 4v4 mean?

Thank you so much! So what does 2v2 or 4v4 mean?
So right now in the test kick, if you queue for a game solo on your Switch you (likely) get matched with one other person on your team (will come back to this bit later).

You both control one Striker/character on your team of four and you can both swap between the Strikers that are currently AI controlled.

Or, if you choose the auto setting (instead of manual) before a match, it will swap control for you when you make a pass (provided the Striker you pass to isn't being currently controlled by the other person on your team).

However, if you queue as two people on one Switch you can actually play with 3 people on your team (if the other person queued solo on their Switch) or as 4 if you match with someone who also queued as 2 on the same Switch.

After the test kick you should also be able to specifically queue for 1v1 or 4v4 - where 4v4 is guaranteed to have each specific striker controlled by one person e.g. you join the game as Donkey Kong and you stay as Donkey Kong.

I think that's right anyway.. haha.

The way I understand it's the number of human players on a team. So 2 human players and 2 bots per team for 2v2 and all human players for 4v4

So right now in the test kick, if you queue for a game solo on your Switch you (likely) get matched with one other person on your team (will come back to this bit later).

You both control one Striker/character on your team of four and you can both swap between the Strikers that are currently AI controlled.

Or, if you choose the auto setting (instead of manual) before a match, it will swap control for you when you make a pass (provided the Striker you pass to isn't being currently controlled by the other person on your team).

However, if you queue as two people on one Switch you can actually play with 3 people on your team (if the other person queued solo on their Switch) or as 4 if you match with someone who also queued as 2 on the same Switch.

After the test kick you should also be able to specifically queue for 1v1 or 4v4 - where 4v4 is guaranteed to have each specific striker controlled by one person e.g. you join the game as Donkey Kong and you stay as Donkey Kong.

I think that's right anyway.. haha.

It's a bit of a lot to wrap my head around as someone who knows 0 about football. But I want to know how it all comes together, since the tutorial, with its isolated challenges, was a lot of fun.

It's a bit of a lot to wrap my head around as someone who knows 0 about football. But I want to know how it all comes together, since the tutorial, with its isolated challenges, was a lot of fun.
Yeah there's loads going on. It's hugely entertaining but simultaneously kind of a lot.

I think when the full game releases there'll be the option to play vs AI only to practice some of the mechanics in a full game at a slower pace.

I'll definitely be doing that before rejoining the chaos/madness.

I got to play by myself after my team mate disconnected and that was the most fun match I've had. Knowing where the ball is going and passing is great. Why they made the 2v2 demo only, I will never understand.

Back
Top Bottom