• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Strikers: Battle League |ST| So much hurt, it's fun!

Have some of the gameplay mechanics been removed from the Wii game? You don’t seem to build up a combo from successfully passing the ball that increases your shots chance of getting into the back of the net? Have they also removed players individual skills? I.e toad would flip over opposition players heads while keeping the ball?
Character specific dekes are gone, as the dodges now tie into the perfect dodge mechanics that give you character boosts. Passing is generally overhauled; you don't store and build up charges the way it worked in Charged but you can still chain charged passes into a charged shot through perfect timing. It's basically changed to be more execution based.

This feels so fucking good to play

I haven't delved into modes yet, just done the tutorial and played a training match, but purely from a gameplay/feel perspective, this is the best one

When will the download be available to play 12EST

Finished the basic cup mode Vs CPUs this morning - found it quite straightforward after doing the First Kick demo a bunch of times but still really enjoyed it.

Bought some gear with the coin rewards from the cup and ready to go online this eve after work.

Got a friend picking it up physical later in the day too. Excited for some 2v2

Is there any specific reward for successfully completing all tutorials? The one that includes team-tackling is giving me huge trouble because during the practice match I never seem to have enough opportunities to perform the 3 team tackles that are required.

I skipped that and went for the offline cups. I like how this entry seems to have far more gameplay depth than the others.

Is there any specific reward for successfully completing all tutorials? The one that includes team-tackling is giving me huge trouble because during the practice match I never seem to have enough opportunities to perform the 3 team tackles that are required.

I skipped that and went for the offline cups. I like how this entry seems to have far more gameplay depth than the others.
After the 'Advanced: Expert Skills' tutorial, there's another one to do - but I imagine this is still available even if you don't fully complete the others.

After completing the last tutorial exercise I got a bunch of coins but as above, not sure if this is locked behind full completion or not.

After the 'Advanced: Expert Skills' tutorial, there's another one to do - but I imagine this is still available even if you don't fully complete the others.

After completing the last tutorial exercise I got a bunch of coins but as above, not sure if this is locked behind full completion or not.
Yeah, I got those coins from the final tutorial match. I guess there is no specific reward for doing everything then! Thanks!

Impressions so far of those of you who are playing?
It’s just “FUN” seriously that’s my main takeaways. Even when you are losing and things are chaotic I’m have “FUN.”

I feel like it's going to take a long time to get a total handle on perfect-passing. Not that I am complaining.

Cross posting my thoughts on the game from another thread.

In a unfortunate plot twist for almost everyone.

Mario Strikers Battle League has less content then both Launch Mario Golf and Mario Tennis Aces. Wonder if folks will either go lighter on Camelot or harsher on Nintendo’s direction for sport titles.

I bought the game and it’s pretty much at the level of Charged. With less Characters, which is the worst part since you get repeat teams, losing sidekicks and repeating main characters makes it annoying cup battles. Also cup battles are knockout rounds and so far seem to lack the season table format from the original. No text describing the tournament either like in charged. It’s pretty much online or GameCube levels of just play matches, which is what I did but a shame that it very light on the content. Stadiums are also very few, the Orignal even had a couple unlockable.

Overall. If you like just playing matches, game will have longevity, the mechanics are decent and provide high level play. It’s also much slower then the previous games which is why the Fields are smaller. The slowness is actually unfortunate for me as I enjoyed the more faster paced of the GameCube and Charged. Especially the GameCube where it was more simplistic but had tighter controls and feels better to play. The skill set is different, everyone has the same techniques so less of a chance of being absolutely broken like Charges. But the game feels rather sterile. Menus are ugly, the stadiums are few and not unique looking, (neither were the GameCube ones really), music is same style and lacks the variety of Charged and the lack of a “goooooool” announcement like the original just sucks. It’s doesn’t feel as exciting when you score as I feel you should, hopfully they patch in some generic crowd noise, I think that’ll help.

I had express a feeling that too many folks were way to excited for NLG handling this and expecting more. I played hundreds of hours of the first 2 strikers game and I knew what to expect. No, it’s really not a lot here So I can’t really offer a recommendation. It’s one of those, find a way to try it out and you’ll have to decide for yourself. Personally, strikers is my favorite sport games and I’ll probably be playing this every now and then. Even just against AI, the 2 other strikers games were still fun against them.

All in all, it’s Mario Strikers without Daisy. (Still weird)

Playing a new Strikers game feels so good, man.

I might have my misgivings on the state it released in and I certainly would want for the reception and word-of-mouth to be nothing but positive for this series, but I'm glad they nailed the core and feel of this. This was always a series I loved picking up and playing, even just to scrap with the brutal CPU players (I haven't tried the Hard Mode/Cups yet but I recall reading that the AI pulls no punches). I agree with the post above that I'm kind of used to this series being pretty content bare so it's not a big deal for me personally as I find ways to make my own fun through its solid tight core game play. Also giggling like a little kid dressing up the Mario cast in all these wacky gear outfits. Strikers was already so unique in how it was the first major Mario sports game that allowed the Mario cast to sport different attire than their defaults, so leave it to the series to step it up further when the rest of the sports games are only now catching up.

Maybe this won't offer much for people who feel they need more palpable progression, at least until we see how the Strikers Clubs work. Hopefully the content will start rolling in before the season begins proper (and that we'll hopefully get a Direct next week where we hear about it!), but I'm confident that a year from now when content wraps up for this one, we'll be looking at one of the finest Mario sports games. Unlike Tennis and Golf, I think even simple things like adding more characters is going to improve the feel for this game tremendously as the amount of permutations grow.

Last edited:
In a way, it's Mario Tennis Aces all over again. Brilliant mechanics: the best in the series. But the game leaves a lot to be desired in content.

It's a fun package, sure, but ideally Nintendo should change the way they have been approaching these sports games. I doubt that will happen, though.

Yeah this game is fun as hell to play but single player content wise it needs more adding which I hope we see. I want more characters, gear and stadiums. Trying to think what sort of modes we could see, a league would be fun, maybe some mini games?

Question about online, can you not do a mode with 8 people where you just play a single character?

Yeah this game is fun as hell to play but single player content wise it needs more adding which I hope we see. I want more characters, gear and stadiums. Trying to think what sort of modes we could see, a league would be fun, maybe some mini games?

Question about online, can you not do a mode with 8 people where you just play a single character?
Yeah you can't do that unfortunately. There were some unverified reports that it was possible in Clubs but that wound up being debunked.

I wouldn't be surprised if they genuinely tried getting it to work but couldn't do it. The game seems to chug at its most just keeping four consoles in sync during 2v2.

Finished hard CPU cup (Galactic). Some intense moments. Really love the core mechanics.

Was going to play some online but might be time for a break. I've been toaded a few too many times tonight

This game is solid mechanically and has some nice animations, but it's not exactly improving on arcade soccer games that are generations old at this point from a mechanical standpoint.

I've said it elsewhere, but this game shipping with that anemic cup mode and online play only is woeful. It's embarrassing that Switch has games from companies that, when independent, had far more feature-rich outputs. Put this next to Super Mega Baseball 3, and it's shameful that this is the bset Nintendo could do at launch. Heck, put this up against 2, which IIRC is also on Switch - same thing.

When the devs of, IDK, Super Blood Hockey (who had less to do on the animations and graphics side, but who also had less money along with smaller scope) have thoroughly outclassed your game in terms of modes and player development, IDK what to say. I like the game, but it's not worth sixty bucks. Maybe half that. I'd suggest waiting until BF for a deep discount that gets it to fewer than thirty dollars in price.

I'm having a surprisingly hard time beating even the first cup but I'm getting better.

Is there going to be a Striker club for Famiboards? Should I just make one? I'm not looking to be super competitive or anything, but I want to make use of the main component of the game (the online club mode).

Is there going to be a Striker club for Famiboards? Should I just make one? I'm not looking to be super competitive or anything, but I want to make use of the main component of the game (the online club mode).
Idk if anybody else is making one, you can go ahead and make it, post it here and I'll threadmark it :)

I’ve enjoyed the game. I just wanted more of the same, but my god Boom Boom sucks. I feel like in past games the goalkeeping was not this poor.
They probably need to tweak and patch Boom Boom's line of sight. It is very easy for him to lose sight of the ball if a defender is even remotely in his line of sight.

I'm having a surprisingly hard time beating even the first cup but I'm getting better.

Good. I was going to offer the same, send us the club code or whatever needed so we can join the Official Famiboards™ Football Strikers Club. BTW I do not promise to be great at the game, or good, but I hope we all can have some fun :).

Loving the gameplay man. They really hit the nail on the head for arcade soccer.

Last edited:
Do CPU players hold their position? My impression in the test kick was they don't. But it may be different in 1v1?
Good question - I'm not sure

So, after watching a couple 1v1 streams today: They do.

Manually taking control of a player will obviously mess it up a bit, but generally the CPU teammates will try to have one up top, one in the middle and one on the bottom, and one staying further back centrally. And they'll default to the position they started out at on kick-off, unless it's taken up by the player-controlled character.

That means sweeper Waluigi is back on the table. The winger roles aren't quite as differentiated as the defender one, since they play as high up as a striker would, but they probably can still make better use of speed than the CF. My most pressing unanswered question now is whether there's any room for playmakers with a high passing stat. Given how small the pitch is and how easy it is to score from the halfway-line, pumping points into Strength/Speed + Shooting seems the most efficent approach.

Good. I was going to offer the same, send us the club code or whatever needed so we can join the Official Famiboards™ Football Strikers Club. BTW I do not promise to be great at the game, or good, but I hope we all can have some fun :).
You go ahead, I'm kind of busy with some things at the moment, so you you can make it.

Ok, I have tried online for the first time and things have been smooth and very fun. I played 4 close matches so far and came out of them with a 2-2 record.

But there's one thing I don't understand: why are available characters randomized when playing online? The only one that is sure to be available to be selected is the one I chose as my club's "Striker", which is Bowser. But the other three are always random.

What's the logic behind this limitation? Am I missing something?

This game better be good almost got sneezed right in the face by the cashier lmao

Famiboards Strikers Club!
Idk if anybody else is making one, you can go ahead and make it, post it here and I'll threadmark it :)
The code is
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.
if anything need changed in the club let me hear your opinions. I've put it for anyone with the code to be able to join.
Btw it is possible to give the club ownership to another player if needed.

Ok, I have tried online for the first time and things have been smooth and very fun. I played 4 close matches so far and came out of them with a 2-2 record.

But there's one thing I don't understand: why are available characters randomized when playing online? The only one that is sure to be available to be selected is the one I chose as my club's "Striker", which is Bowser. But the other three are always random.

What's the logic behind this limitation? Am I missing something?
In Club mode, you're limited to the selection of characters that are part of the Club's roster. That limitation doesn't exist in Quick Play, where you're free to select your own team with your own preferred gear. If you're in a Club that lacks four members, it'll randomize the team differential to compensate.

The logic, the way I see it, is to encourage a Club that's actually populated with people, to co-operate in building a balanced Club roster, and to discourage people from creating their own solo walled garden to play ranked.

The Galactic Cups are kicking my butt. I have been able to squeeze in a few victories, but not enough to win any of the trophies. I appreciate the difficulty. I guess I need to get good.

In Club mode, you're limited to the selection of characters that are part of the Club's roster. That limitation doesn't exist in Quick Play, where you're free to select your own team with your own preferred gear. If you're in a Club that lacks four members, it'll randomize the team differential to compensate.

The logic, the way I see it, is to encourage a Club that's actually populated with people, to co-operate in building a balanced Club roster, and to discourage people from creating their own solo walled garden to play ranked.
Oh, I get it. I am not sure I like the limitation, because I sure would love to use my offline dream squad to play ranked, but it is what it is.

I’m missing the 2 tackles option we’ve had before.

Here it’s just one. While before you could either slide tackle or do a body slam. Tho it’s probably be broken with the small congested space in Battle League

What's with the horrible lag in some online matches? The last one I played was completely unplayable, it dropped into single digits a few times. Wtf.

Finished the cups with 0 losses xD though the first and last matches were close
but there's a new difficulty setting unlocked after that

Btw seems like I can't choose the other characters in my club when I'm playing solo 🤔 I tweaked a few characters with the cup coins but it seems like I can only customize the team on quick-play and cup matches

Last edited:
I’ve only done the tutorial and a few CPU matches so far, but I’m having fun. Tried Manual mode and that was a disaster with one player so I’ll stick with Auto. The animations are great. I doubt we’ll ever get this answer, but I wonder if that weird Waluigi pose originated in this game first or if the developers saw it and were like we need to make the animation that leads into this lol.

Probably busy tonight so I hope I have more time tomorrow.

It’s just a fun game. My wife and daughter played with me today and we had a good time. My wife was so excited when she scored her first goal.

Something I've realized based on cursory observation of the AI partner behavior is that characters positioned as Defender usually try to stay in the back field while the Captain and mid-fielders try to stay up front. This could be incidental and obviously any character can end up front when under your control but it seems to me that the game does try to steer your companions into maintaining designated positions. That means you're probably going to want to consider how you line up your characters.

I’m missing the 2 tackles option we’ve had before.

Here it’s just one. While before you could either slide tackle or do a body slam. Tho it’s probably be broken with the small congested space in Battle League
Technically tackles and slides are both still in the game, they just rolled the slide into the Perfect Tackle. It still results in a stolen ball rather than a dropped one, and it travels a longer distance.

Last edited:
So, after watching a couple 1v1 streams today: They do.

Manually taking control of a player will obviously mess it up a bit, but generally the CPU teammates will try to have one up top, one in the middle and one on the bottom, and one staying further back centrally. And they'll default to the position they started out at on kick-off, unless it's taken up by the player-controlled character.

That means sweeper Waluigi is back on the table. The winger roles aren't quite as differentiated as the defender one, since they play as high up as a striker would, but they probably can still make better use of speed than the CF. My most pressing unanswered question now is whether there's any room for playmakers with a high passing stat. Given how small the pitch is and how easy it is to score from the halfway-line, pumping points into Strength/Speed + Shooting seems the most efficent approach.
That's great intel. Thanks for the update.

Away this weekend so going to have limited time to play online but when I finished the two CPU cups yesterday, I did notice that the post game stats from the hard AI teams had super low passes made but were still really tough to beat. Might indicate passing is a weaker approach.

If it is, I think it's because while a perfect pass can't be intercepted, you can still preemptively tackle the recipient.

I do think that's harder to do for a human player than a bot though, so maybe a team focused on juggling the ball around into a perfect shot when Boom Boom is out of position will still be good.

Excited to find out.

Finally won a couple of Galactic Cups. I think what gave me the edge to do so was buying gear to tweak the stats of the characters I was using.

I love the level of challenge here. Props to NLG.
Something I've realized based on cursory observation of the AI partner behavior is that characters positioned as Defender usually try to stay in the back field while the Captain and mid-fielders try to stay up front. This could be incidental and obviously any character can end up front when under your control but it seems to me that the game does try to steer your companions into maintaining designated positions. That means you're probably going to want to consider how you line up your characters.
Yeah, I am glad the game does that. I think it is a bit weird because it basically forces you to choose offensive-minded characters as the captain, since that will the one who will stay in the most advanced spot in the field. Because of that, maybe there could be an option to manually set everyone's positions. However, in the end, who is captain is not exactly important from a gameplay perspective, so overall I think it's an awesome feature that adds to the game's strategic component.

Btw seems like I can't choose the other characters in my club when I'm playing solo 🤔 I tweaked a few characters with the cup coins but it seems like I can only customize the team on quick-play and cup matches
I think what you are referring to is the same thing I was complaining about a few posts above. According to what Decoyman said, when you play "Club Mode" the characters that are available to be selected are the ones picked by people who are in your club. So if you are the only person who is signed up to your club, you will only get to pick one character, with the others being randomized. It's one of the ways the game uses to try to incentivize people to join clubs rather than create one for themselves.

Personally, I don't like it. I mean, you spend time assembling your team and tweaking character stats via gear, and when you go play a competitive match online you can only pick one character... It comes off as counterintuitive to the whole process.

That's great intel. Thanks for the update.

Away this weekend so going to have limited time to play online but when I finished the two CPU cups yesterday, I did notice that the post game stats from the hard AI teams had super low passes made but were still really tough to beat. Might indicate passing is a weaker approach.

If it is, I think it's because while a perfect pass can't be intercepted, you can still preemptively tackle the recipient.

I do think that's harder to do for a human player than a bot though, so maybe a team focused on juggling the ball around into a perfect shot when Boom Boom is out of position will still be good.

Excited to find out.
I haven't gotten to see the Hard Mode CPUs with short passes yet, but I think the strength of the passing attribute on the whole is going to really depend on the character. With Donkey Kong for example, I think the passing attribute is what arguably pushes him into being the best big body character since he's really good at just handing the ball over to one of your front characters without having to regain lost space. It also makes him less of a liability when it comes to dealing with item play while he has ball possession.

First thing my wife asked when putting on her makeup… you want to play some strikers? 😂

I haven’t been able to find a copy yet in my city outside of one overpriced retailer :(
I will have to go digital this time

What's with the horrible lag in some online matches? The last one I played was completely unplayable, it dropped into single digits a few times. Wtf.
If whoever you’re playing has bad connection, your match is pretty much screwed.

I haven't gotten to see the Hard Mode CPUs with short passes yet, but I think the strength of the passing attribute on the whole is going to really depend on the character. With Donkey Kong for example, I think the passing attribute is what arguably pushes him into being the best big body character since he's really good at just handing the ball over to one of your front characters without having to regain lost space. It also makes him less of a liability when it comes to dealing with item play while he has ball possession.
When I did the cups I ran DK (with some + speed/strength, - tech/shoot gear) and passing out of defence is really strong with his natural high pass stat for sure.

Also, his tackle animations are so good

Back
Top Bottom