• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Strikers: Battle League |ST| So much hurt, it's fun!

I also have a complaint with tackles, although it may be just me. I've had some matches where my opponent is very liberal with usage of tackles and it honestly feels like a pretty overpowered tactic. Sure, if you tackle a lot you'll give your opponent a lot of items, but does it matter if all their team members are knocked down on the floor?

I feel they could tone down a bit the time to recover from a tackle or something like that.

I also have a complaint with tackles, although it may be just me. I've had some matches where my opponent is very liberal with usage of tackles and it honestly feels like a pretty overpowered tactic. Sure, if you tackle a lot you'll give your opponent a lot of items, but does it matter if all their team members are knocked down on the floor?

I feel they could tone down a bit the time to recover from a tackle or something like that.
I have really only found this to be a problem when playing 1v2. In a 1v1, I can counter that pretty easily with perfect dodges (and if they are playing off the ball, then I can counter with charged shots from an ace). In a 1v2…yeah. Shit sucks.

I have really only found this to be a problem when playing 1v2. In a 1v1, I can counter that pretty easily with perfect dodges (and if they are playing off the ball, then I can counter with charged shots from an ace). In a 1v2…yeah. Shit sucks.
I guess you’re right, the match that caused my rant was a 1v2 in fact.

Being put in a 1v2, 1v3 or 1v4 kinda winds me up a bit :ROFLMAO:. But I did end up winning a 1v4 somehow, was stressful af though and I had to play basically perfectly and exploit each and every weakness of the other team.

Is that confirmed?

Also quit surprised by the pace, expected them to act faster on it.
No, i'm just pessimistic
I really hope to see a new update in the coming weeks especially since the new online season started earlier than usual.
Maybe they're preparing for the first update next Friday and they anticipated the season for that. At least that's what I hope

I'll forever be disappointed at the lack of Monty Mole in this game.
That new Daisy artwork is awesome though, I hope they release that in full somewhere.

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

A little underwhelming…

Two more updates later this year. So they might grow the character selection from 10 (12 after 22/07) to 16, if they decide to release 2 characters each update.

I’m glad I didn’t get the game, because by the looks of it, I’ll still feel it’s shallow even after the updates.

Daisy's hyper strike being a rabona is all kinds of awesome.

Feels like the game needs more content than this to save it, should have had 16 characters at launch and added from there.

This is nice but the game desperately needs actual modes to play, it’s so bare bones that adding characters and gear isn’t enough! I do hope they plan to support it past 2022 or this will be really weak if they just lump a few more characters in and call it a day

This game is all kinds of fun and I can't wait to see what else they add. Shy Guy being in the game now makes me very happy and it's nice to have Daisy back.

A little underwhelming…

Two more updates later this year. So they might grow the character selection from 10 (12 after 22/07) to 16, if they decide to release 2 characters each update.

I’m glad I didn’t get the game, because by the looks of it, I’ll still feel it’s shallow even after the updates.
So if the game was exactly the same, but had 64 characters, would it magically not be shallow? I feel like adding more characters in Mario sport/kart games doesn't meaningfully add much to the overall experience.

If this really never gets single player content that is really lame. I'm wondering if this is lacking due to covid or because Next Level Games had two concurrent projects in the works.

So if the game was exactly the same, but had 64 characters, would it magically not be shallow? I feel like adding more characters in Mario sport/kart games doesn't meaningfully add much to the overall experience.
It gives diversity to the team compositions and usually each characters plays differently and has unique moves

A little underwhelming…

I'm not a fan of this type of game, so I'm not defending it, but what is expected of this type of game? I mean it's a soccer game, which is what you're getting. More characters doesn't necessarily improve the game. I feel like you either like to play these kinds of games or you don't.

Dont have Strikers, so this announcement is indifferent for me, but can i just say how in awe i still am about the animations of this game?

It's literally next-level.

If this really never gets single player content that is really lame. I'm wondering if this is lacking due to covid or because Next Level Games had two concurrent projects in the works.
Is probably that it was never intended to be something more than a cool fun arcade style game to play with other people.

There's a balance I feel. The Wii game saw you have pick a captain from a similar pool of 16 odd big names, with the rest of your team being made from a pool of team players. Consequently there were some great combinations that you could come up with and it made gameplay a lot more varied.

In this game they've prioritised the concept of 4 players on the same team, which is good and all, but with such a small pool of characters to choose from you generally see the same ones (and consequently the same animations) over and over again, so fatigue sets in.

I get why Next Level went this way with Battle League, and the game plays well, but honestly, they really should have had a bigger starting roster in this instance.

Edit: Just checked, 12 captains and 8 sidekicks, so 20 playable characters in total in the Wii game. So even at the end of these free updates the Switch game will have fewer characters than its Wii predecessor.

I'm quite happy to see Daisy and Shy Guy being added. Considering the base roster only had 10 characters for 4x4 matches, many games felt you were playing mirror/dittos.

Still, from a gameplay perspective, none of these add too much to the game. With the flexibility of the gear system and the lack of unique dribbles, all characters end up feeling quite samey.

If two characters have somewhat similar stats (which is not terribly difficult considering the amount of customizatiom from gears), the only non-cosmetic differences between them are hurtbox and hyperstrike.

It gives diversity to the team compositions and usually each characters plays differently and has unique moves
But if you don't find the core gameplay engaging to stick with it, why would having a team of like Monty Mole, Lakitu, Para Koopa Troopa, and Chargin Chuck magically make the game go from "dropped within a week" to "play it every day online". Having slightly different animations on your super shot doesn't really matter when the gear will largely cancel out anyone's default stats anyways. Heck as a game like MK8D shows, having a ton of characters and kart combinations means little because gamers will largely stock to the top tier builds with minimal divergence.

If this doesn't end up getting more game modes and online options then I'm not going to bother and get it used or at a discount. These characters, stadiums and gear should have been there from the start, and if the free updates stop after this year, then it's still not enough content imo.

Presumably content complete: “why isn’t this thing getting dlc”

Presumably less than or equal 1yr of updates: “this should have been in the game”

At some point Nintendo should probably just make their sport titles long running gaas helmed by Camelot.

I'm not a fan of this type of game, so I'm not defending it, but what is expected of this type of game? I mean it's a soccer game, which is what you're getting. More characters doesn't necessarily improve the game. I feel like you either like to play these kinds of games or you don't.
The GB/GBA Mario Sports games cast a permanent shadow over the series’ single player modes. The RPG modes are pretty much always brought up when a new game is announced, and then they get cited as rationale for disappointment when the games ship with minimal solo content.

Strikers doesn’t get this as much since Golf/Tennis were the GB/GBA games, but I think the stigma still carries over a bit. It is a little odd, though, because it’s not like the previous games were much different and/or better.

Personally I just want a fun game that plays well and has matchmaking so I can play it even when my friends aren’t around. I didn’t like the SP content in Super Rush or Aces, either, so I think Strikers is better for not even bothering.

I wasn't expecting 2 characters in the update so that's neat. On the other hand the pace of updates isn't that quick so I hope they add at least 2 characters per update.

I hope there are also some balance changes in the update, some strategies are a little overpowered currently.

EDIT: On another note, I'm so tired of the "no content" complaints about this game. Regardless of them being true or not, seeing the same complaint all the time gets really tiring.

Daisy going so hard on the shove, both her feet don't touch the floor for a moment.

The electric fence is quite there. She didn't have to put in quite that much effort to do damage, but Daisy and NLG animators can't do any less than 100%.

Genuinely confused about the folks that seem to have some kind of "This Soccer game needed a single player story mode" kinda stances. It's Mario Strikers, play with CPU or play with other people was always the appeal, I assure you that a single player campaign you'd finish in a weekend at a leisure pace won't net you a solid playtime. At best they should be adding some kind of challenge or achivement system for single player, but anything else I think wouldn't really affect the game the way people seem to want it to.

Which is why I want features that enchance the multiplayer like Lobbies and Gear Load Outs.

Genuinely confused about the folks that seem to have some kind of "This Soccer game needed a single player story mode" kinda stances. It's Mario Strikers, play with CPU or play with other people was always the appeal, I assure you that a single player campaign you'd finish in a weekend at a leisure pace won't net you a solid playtime. At best they should be adding some kind of challenge or achivement system for single player, but anything else I think wouldn't really affect the game the way people seem to want it to.

Which is why I want features that enchance the multiplayer like Lobbies and Gear Load Outs.
Nintendo communities have a problem accepting that Ninty makes games they may not really want to play.

Anyways, yes, lobbies! I would like gear transmog, too, since I find some of the armor to be hideous.

I'm very pleased that Daisy is added! I guess Shy Guy is cool also, and I presume that like Toad and Yoshi, they can have multiple in the same team. I know it may be for consistency purposes, but I wish you can choose the same individual characters, like you can choose the same character of a species (Toad, Yoshi, and likely Shy Guy). The sight of a team of Waluigis would be great to behold.

The fact that DLC is announced by waves is interesting, because it's unlike Mario Golf, which is updated like as if it has a road map but the information is not conveyed. Mario Tennis did not need that because every month comes with a new character so the updates were more consistent. Two characters seem like the expectation, but I am actually hoping that the other two each comes with three characters, because there are just many species characters but not enough currently. So like Koopa Troopas, Monty Moles, or Birdos would be nice to see.

Thank you for reading.

The Wii Mario Strikers had a pretty lengthy and challenging league mode which provided a sizeable and enjoyable experience for those wanting a singleplayer focused experience, one which featured unlockable characters and much more variety in the team compositions and arenas. I don't think its unfair to compare this new game to what was being offered back then and ask for something similar, as opposed to the barebones 'three round knock out tournie' we got this time around. There's not much here for those of us who enjoyed playing Strikers solo, and just expecting us to play against CPU and to like it doesn't cut the mustard.

Mario Sports games this gen have clearly been trying to follow the Splatoon route in their updates, but they've all been fairly stingy in their day 1 content and I don't think the post-launch content has been exciting enough to revitalise them. I do think it's an approach that Nintendo need to re-evaluate for the series going forward.

The only single player content I can really imagine for a game like this is some sort of challenge mode kind of like those extra modes in the original Wii Sports.

The GB/GBA Mario Sports games cast a permanent shadow over the series’ single player modes. The RPG modes are pretty much always brought up when a new game is announced, and then they get cited as rationale for disappointment when the games ship with minimal solo content.

Strikers doesn’t get this as much since Golf/Tennis were the GB/GBA games, but I think the stigma still carries over a bit. It is a little odd, though, because it’s not like the previous games were much different and/or better.

Personally I just want a fun game that plays well and has matchmaking so I can play it even when my friends aren’t around. I didn’t like the SP content in Super Rush or Aces, either, so I think Strikers is better for not even bothering.
I mean people have to accept that games nowadays take longer and are more intensive to make. As we saw with Super Rush and Brawl, too a lesser degree Ultimate. Either the campaign takes away from other content or the other content takes away from the campaign.

The either should ignore the campaign and bolster other single player content or make the campaign as an expansion that comes like 2yrs after the main game.

I’ll take something over nothing. This is EASILY the best local multiplayer game on switch right now in my opinion. 4 people can each have a controller, play and have fun. None of this having to pass controllers around and take turns in order to enjoy a game. Hopefully this game sells well enough where they will keep the support up even into next year.

I wasn't expecting 2 characters so that's a neat surprise for me. Shy Guy's animations look hilarious, I think he'll be my new chosen striker.

I hope the 2 extra updates for 2022 aren't everything that's left for the game.

I wasn't expecting 2 characters so that's a neat surprise for me. Shy Guy's animations look hilarious, I think he'll be my new chosen striker.

I hope the 2 extra updates for 2022 aren't everything that's left for the game.
Considering they specified 2022, rather than just saying here are the rest of the updates coming to the game, it implies more for 2023.

Back
Top Bottom