• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Strikers: Battle League |ST| So much hurt, it's fun!

Considering they specified 2022, rather than just saying here are the rest of the updates coming to the game, it implies more for 2023.
I think you can read it both ways. Like, if they had a full year of updates planned then why not announce it now? They would get more goodwill that way.

So if the game was exactly the same, but had 64 characters, would it magically not be shallow? I feel like adding more characters in Mario sport/kart games doesn't meaningfully add much to the overall experience.
That’s not what I said. I just mentioned the quantity, I didn’t say it was because of it. Maybe I should’ve worded it better.

I'm not a fan of this type of game, so I'm not defending it, but what is expected of this type of game? I mean it's a soccer game, which is what you're getting. More characters doesn't necessarily improve the game. I feel like you either like to play these kinds of games or you don't.
I wanted more game modes, and that are not only focused on online. If I want to play offline, it’s just with friends or simple matches against the CPU…

I just wish there was more to it.

EDIT: some others in the thread already gave some ideas of content (challenge mode, league mode) I would welcome. But the people that are happy just playing normal matches with friends like they did on GameCube are very defensive about the game being barebones, so I just won’t bother anymore.

I haven't had the chance to play any matches in the current season, hope to get some time in tonight.

The update is nice. But I just don't see the addition of new characters, stage reskins, and gear being enough to keep me playing long-term. I really hope they have some new modes and/or gameplay changes planned for the future.

Sounds not even on as I watch the video and as soon as I see daisy launch through the portal with her mouth set to full scream open I reached for mute on my phone.....

Add field obstacles instead of the field being totally blank. Meteors, trenches, spikes, etc.
I think the reason why they removed the obstacles is because of the shrunken field size with the game being way more hectic than before. Also, back when charged released, the obstacles were a common criticism of the game.

I think the reason why they removed the obstacles is because of the shrunken field size with the game being way more hectic than before. Also, back when charged released, the obstacles were a common criticism of the game.
Make them a separate mode then. It's better than not having them at all.

Pretty much waiting for all the updates to come out before I look at this game.

I really enjoyed the previous Strikers game, so hopefully this one can get close with updates.

Happy to see these two as the first characters to be added. Daisy's animations are especially looking great.

Kongs, kremlings, pauline, wario ware characters please.

Diddy kong in a mobile game before 8 is a blemish that should never be repeated.

Genuinely confused about the folks that seem to have some kind of "This Soccer game needed a single player story mode" kinda stances. It's Mario Strikers, play with CPU or play with other people was always the appeal, I assure you that a single player campaign you'd finish in a weekend at a leisure pace won't net you a solid playtime. At best they should be adding some kind of challenge or achivement system for single player, but anything else I think wouldn't really affect the game the way people seem to want it to.

Which is why I want features that enchance the multiplayer like Lobbies and Gear Load Outs.

Nintendo communities have a problem accepting that Ninty makes games they may not really want to play.

Anyways, yes, lobbies! I would like gear transmog, too, since I find some of the armor to be hideous.

This is me reading through posts asking for ARMS 2 to suddenly have a 40 hour long platforming campaign.

I'd welcome more single player content, but really, what are you actually gonna add to a soccer game? More offline cups you'll get through equally fast? Minigames you'll play once before dropping them?

EDIT: some others in the thread already gave some ideas of content (challenge mode, league mode) I would welcome. But the people that are happy just playing normal matches with friends like they did on GameCube are very defensive about the game being barebones, so I just won’t bother anymore.

How is league mode, or challenge mode, different from what's already in the game? Seriously confused here.

Yeah I need some single player content to buy the game. New characters are nice but this looks like a game I’d play for a single evening and then never again.

At least have a campaign like tennis and golf had.

Make them a separate mode then. It's better than not having them at all.
The orignal Mario Strikers actually had no hazard in courses. It was just fields and wasn’t criticism of the games, only thing was bowser would jump in and make a scene, but obviously he was the hazard, not the course. I think based off the choices they made, they would need to re-balance a couple things if they added them again, the fields are way too small to just add hazards again.

They’ll have to make them bigger. You already get hit way easier then ever before. Adding hazards right now would make the game way worst honestly. But I doubt they’ll consider making the fields bigger. Thus I doubt any hazards will be added.

I was wondering if they would do a 'jack of all trades' character, and I am glad they picked Shy Guy for it, he is a good choice for that shtick.

Shy Guy is always welcome, and I like that the desert stage has the shifting sand textures from Super Mario 2. That game is usually overlooked past Shy Guys, Snifits Ninjis, and Bomb-Ombs popping up as general enemies, so it's nice to see more elements show up. Hopefully Birdo will be a playable character too, since she isn't in the audience, and was also a sidekick in the older games.

The orignal Mario Strikers actually had no hazard in courses. It was just fields and wasn’t criticism of the games, only thing was bowser would jump in and make a scene, but obviously he was the hazard, not the course. I think based off the choices they made, they would need to re-balance a couple things if they added them again, the fields are way too small to just add hazards again.

They’ll have to make them bigger. You already get hit way easier then ever before. Adding hazards right now would make the game way worst honestly. But I doubt they’ll consider making the fields bigger. Thus I doubt any hazards will be added.
I agree with your point about field size but a good alternative might be to have hazards replace items in a new game mode.

The hazards could drop-in/appear like the hyper strike orbs and move around with the action.

They could also have a higher chance of appearing on the leading players' side of the pitch etc.

Last edited:

I think that if what people want is 'more mayhem' then something akin to Bowser (a non-stage-specific hazard factor) could may be it. Like someone in the audience could throw a goomba that causes havoc or whatever. Anything tied to the stage themselves would create a weird stage-meta where some stages are picked due to their hazards.

Hoping for King K. Rool in one of the next two updates.
Yeah they brought him back for smash they need to use him in more

Tho with this pack being thematic (SMB2, a good guy and a bad guy), I wonder if we could see Diddy(or Dixie) and K Rool with say a pirate ship stage?

Yeah they brought him back for smash they need to use him in more

Tho with this pack being thematic (SMB2, a good guy and a bad guy), I wonder if we could see Diddy(or Dixie) and K Rool with say a pirate ship stage?

That would be great!

I find the update pretty neat and I have a blast with the game in couch co-op as it is.

I think a bit more variety in the item could add a bit of spice. Maybe something like temporary stationary hasard. Like a piranha-plant which would stay on the field for 10-15 seconds or a Pow-Block, which would throw everybody on the ground except the player who activates it (3 time use). Or a portable Stomp? An Ice Flower? you could put somes ice patch on the field (a big one or 3-5 small one).
A Mega Mushroom (giant for 5-7 seconds) could be fun, but a bit samey with the super star?

Very glad to see so many of the first week complaints were directly addressed in the new update's patch. Hope this means the staff is paying attention to fan requests and will add things like Lobbies.

It is definitely making it clearer to me. Both where the ball is and where you are is clearer even if you're in a 2v2. The ball also seems to have a little aura underneath it when not in use by other players.

v1.1.0 patch notes

Additional Content​

• Added “Daisy” as a playable character.
  • Added “Shy Guy” as a playable character.
  • Added the “Desert Ruin” stadium.
  • Added the “Knight” gear set.

Added Features​

• Increased how many items can be displayed in the Notifications ticker in Strikers Club.
  • When choosing "Random" on the Character Selection screen, the geared version of the Character will be selected (if one exists).

General​

• Reduced the probability of scoring on a weak shot from far away.
  • Reduced the probability of Stars appearing when you are losing by a 1 or 2 point difference.
  • Revised the CPU behavior and opposing team composition in Cup Battles.
  • Added visible trail to the ball when it’s not in active possession, making it easier to see.
  • Made player numbers easier to see when playing online.
  • Fixed an issue when playing as Waluigi and using a hyper strike in which the ball could hit a goal post and not go in.
  • Made several other adjustments to game balance and fixed several other issues to improve the gameplay experience.

Great to see some new content and balance changes. Star probability change very welcome.

Would also love to see:
  • Option to choose player positions manually e.g. select DK as captain but as a defender, rather than up front by default
  • Different gear profiles for each striker so you can have multiple loadouts
  • Field hazards that replace items in a new game mode/style
  • 4 v 4 online (feels unlikely)

I haven't been playing Strikers, so if there's anyone who would like to join Fami Strikers (our club), let me know because I am willing resign for now to open a spot for someone who's active.

Did everyone a solid and added a Daisy to the club. Too bad I’m terrible at building characters…but I won as her, so how bad can she be?

Boom Boom buffs have had a pretty huge impact from my experience, he's definitely more reliable at blocking shots now and the score/shots at goal ratio has been nowhere near as close as it used to be, at least when playing it the way I used to. Technique might not be as dominant with these changes now, I feel other stats like Shooting and Strength may matter more. It's a shame the game didn't launch in this current state but it definitely makes for a much more polished experience and I hope they continue building upon what they have.

Boom Boom buffs have had a pretty huge impact from my experience, he's definitely more reliable at blocking shots now and the score/shots at goal ratio has been nowhere near as close as it used to be, at least when playing it the way I used to. Technique might not be as dominant with these changes now, I feel other stats like Shooting and Strength may matter more. It's a shame the game didn't launch in this current state but it definitely makes for a much more polished experience and I hope they continue building upon what they have.

Fully agree, gameplay seems a lot more balanced now, you need to properly be in good positions to score.

I also love the yellow sand field, a shame the other battlefields are grass heavy, Luigi's Mansion would be beautiful in a dark violet.

Item changes are welcome, although I still feel it's too heavily centered on being a comeback mechanic as opposed to a countercheck to excessive tackling.

Hyperstrikers remain too common for my tastes, they should be a 1-2 per match event, more so than as common as they are now. Glad there is a degree of counterplay there, but still would prefer the time to conclude the QTE to be higher and the frequency to be lower.

Currently working my way through the cups and then I will be joining y'all online. All I needed to hear was the update helped some of the issues, had the buy it.

Played a ton of matches today and had a great streak, 16-3 or so. I played more patient today and it really helped beating tackle spammers.

I dunno if it's a placebo or just me naturally getting better or really a tweak from the Patch, but it feels to me like the CPU partners are standing where I need them to be more often. Before they would kind of take a while to adjust themselves on the map where I needed/wanted them.

Decided to do some galactic mode matches to get some more coins (since I already beat it) and this new patch definitely makes it feel easier but it is still tough, or maybe I have improved as a player? Anyway, I find it cool that the new content appears in the cup battles now as you can go against a team using stuff like the Desert Ruin stadium, Knight gear, and Daisy and Shy Guy.

I'm having a lot of fun after getting back into this game since I am no longer as busy as I used to be since school has finished for the academic year but it's back in September. I am happy this game exists because some people thought NLG will be stuck with Luigi's Mansion but it shows that they won't forever only be doing Luigi's Mansion but also doing smaller stuff like an arcade style sports game.

I'm having a lot of fun after getting back into this game since I am no longer as busy as I used to be since school has finished for the academic year but it's back in September. I am happy this game exists because some people thought NLG will be stuck with Luigi's Mansion but it shows that they won't forever only be doing Luigi's Mansion but also doing smaller stuff like an arcade style sports game.
I actually legit hope they let them take another stab at what they wanted to do with Federation Force now that the Metroid series is in a healthier place.

I've been trying to get back into the game and realizing that I'm quite bad at it, and I'm not entirely sure why. I feel i have trouble getting the ball back from the other team and actually positioning myself well for scoring, but I'm still not sure how to work on that.

I’m having a lot of fun getting back into the game. This is free lob pass into goal is broken though and even more so than the Mario/Rosalina midfield shot they just neutered:

Hopefully NLG doesn’t wait until character updates to make fixes.

I’m having a lot of fun getting back into the game. This is free lob pass into goal is broken though and even more so than the Mario/Rosalina midfield shot they just neutered:

Hopefully NLG doesn’t wait until character updates to make fixes.

Yikes, they need to fix that asap.

Back
Top Bottom