• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Hollow Knight: Silksong — Pre-release Discussion Thread

As much as I love Hollow Knight and am super hyped for Silksong, I do have one major reservation (that will likely be unpopular): the difficulty. I found it satisfying and the right level of hard through the majority of the game but towards the end it really pushed the limits of what I am capable of achieving and a lot of the later DLC just came off as masochistic to me. My worry is Team Cherry doubles down on this for the Silksong as it's extreme difficulty seems to be a large part of it's appeal and popularity with a large portion of the fanbase.
I doubt they'd make anything that level of difficult without it being side content/completely optional. I'm with you, I liked the difficulty of most of the game but I never really touched the God stuff, that's just too much.

Nightmare King Grimm may be my favorite boss fight ever but I don't think that should be the standard across the game. Honestly though I'm slightly more worried Silksong will be easier than HK rather than harder, seems like we have a lot more tools this time around. But not terribly worried about balance either way

Also yeah didn't do anything beyond the second Pantheon since boss rushes aren't my thing

Yeah I'm confident Team Cherry know and fully intended the Godmaster dlc to be for hardcore players, and if there's anything of similar or close difficulty in Silksong, it'll be completely optional.

I barely bothered with Godmaster myself until my 3rd playthrough when I had the time and motivation to just keep practising. Finishing the Pantheon of Hallownest might be the hardest video game challenge I've ever completed. But Sisters of Battle & Pure Vessel in particular were incredibly satisfying and fun to master. Only Nightmare King Grimm compares imo.

I do wonder if there'll be anything like the White Palace, I know that was pretty divisive.

Last edited:
As much as I love Hollow Knight and am super hyped for Silksong, I do have one major reservation (that will likely be unpopular): the difficulty. I found it satisfying and the right level of hard through the majority of the game but towards the end it really pushed the limits of what I am capable of achieving and a lot of the later DLC just came off as masochistic to me. My worry is Team Cherry doubles down on this for the Silksong as it's extreme difficulty seems to be a large part of it's appeal and popularity with a large portion of the fanbase.
As far as I know they discussed difficulty in either the Edge Magazine interview or a blog post, and they stated that they want to make Silksong as accessible as possible in that regard. The game will probably be the same difficulty as Hollow Knight in the early game and will start cranking it up in the late game, with very difficult optional bosses similar to NGK and Absrad

An easy mode would go a long way, although I'm not sure how you can make areas like White Palace easier.
I feel like the game assumes a level of skill and coordination that I simply don't possess, but the game still has so much more to offer outside of the challenge.
But the final boss(es) took me somewhere between three and four hours. That's just not a good use of my time, and I would have totally bounced had I not already come so far.
Truthfully, I think I'd pick an easy mode even if I was good at games, simply because the enemies are senselessly tanky imo. Those big guards with the shields in the city especially. They're not even hard to fight, just painfully slow to kill without spells!

As someone who beat all bosses on Radiant in the Hall of Gods, I think you guys need to git gud...

...Jk Doing that probably took years off my life and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm all for accessibility options as well. I kind of wish HK had some too as I know the difficulty turned some people off. I don't want that with SS.

I'm all for accesibility options aswell. I don't really know how they could implement them in SS but it'd be super nice, I want as many people as possible to enjoy the game.

Pain.

I just have a feeling that by the time this rolls around I'll be too busy with other things to care. It really has to drop at the perfect time for me to invest in it like I did Hollow Knight.

Honestly, WTF is going on. I get it taking time, but since the e3 demo there wasnt that much, most was reiterating what was shown and anouncements for more platforms.
They are keeping this game mlre to their chest then nintendo does with zelda.

I watched the Treehouse demo on Silksong from 2019 for the first time the other day and audibly lolled when the presenters claimed the developers were hard at work "wrapping up the game"

It’ll make waves when it finally arrives - it’s more anticipated than the majority of triple-a releases.

I don’t think anyone expects anything less than a masterpiece, right?

Can’t wait… but we must. :(

Honestly, WTF is going on. I get it taking time, but since the e3 demo there wasnt that much, most was reiterating what was shown and anouncements for more platforms.
They are keeping this game mlre to their chest then nintendo does with zelda.
they’re making a game

we have a release window

and frankly a ton of info about the game too

they have a slow-burn strategy — one intended to not reveal too much too soon when so much of the game is discovery — that has kept organic interest bubbling in a big way. that is HARD to do and an actual asset for them.

once they are 100% ready to launch on every platform simultaneously, we’ll get a short and spicy release-date marketing wave

then ongoing marketing after

I get being impatient but I really do think we’re on track and it’s not unreasonable, even if it’s not how some of us want

Last edited:
I watched the Treehouse demo on Silksong from 2019 for the first time the other day and audibly lolled when the presenters claimed the developers were hard at work "wrapping up the game"

That whole thing is so strange -- just the way it's presented and the fact it has a Treehouse segment there at all leads me to believe Nintendo thought it actually was close to release. Here we are four years later...

Maybe they are working in the DLC together with the secuel. Maybe Silksong will be longer than the main game 🤷‍♂️ who knows.

As someone who got all the achievements in the mean game, everything related to HK (including all the imitators in the art style that spawned) is so annoying.

i don't expect dlc/post launch content for silksong at this point, i think they've crammed as much content as humanly possible into the game for launch.

Also, we got Hollow Knight content packs because they ran out of money to keep making the game and had to ship it at some point, if they'd had as much money for HK as they have for Silksong we would've gotten all the content packs on release. They might update something post launch but I don't expect anything big.

not likely of use but Team Cherry’s website appears to have technically updated six days ago

most likely boring security updates so don’t get excited

LOL JK it’s a Google error, it’s taking the date of the Silksong announcement post and not considering the year

I guess we’re only a couple days away from the HK anniversary. Maybe something then?

or June 12th, 2023 👉😎👉

we’re now in the zone of infinite plausibility, where it could happen anywhere between now and June, and it could be in an Indie World presentation anywhere between March and June, and it could technically even wait for a June Direct if there is one

but it also doesn’t need a presentation, and it not appearing in the February Direct means it really could be at any time

though that time is most likely within the next four months, so I’m pretty content

while the xbox account did confirm silksong being released within a year of their e3 show and then it was re-confirmed by someone close to team cherry on discord, i wouldn't be shocked if that just... doesn't happen. iirc starfield and forza were also confirmed for that window but it seems likely that they'll miss it, it wouldn't be super shocking if silksong also misses it.

while the xbox account did confirm silksong being released within a year of their e3 show and then it was re-confirmed by someone close to team cherry on discord, i wouldn't be shocked if that just... doesn't happen. iirc starfield and forza were also confirmed for that window but it seems likely that they'll miss it, it wouldn't be super shocking if silksong also misses it.

Yeah I am in the same boat, I am not convinced it's hitting H1 this year either.. it might, or it might not.. I'm not surprised either way :p
Afterall, we're soon 4 years out from this:

9PncWQ6.png

It'll be fantastic once it shows up though!

I was personally hoping for it to launch between December and mid-March just due to a lack of games I'm interested in during this time period. Since this won't be the case, it launching in the summer after Zelda would be perfect for me.

Imagine if it doesn’t, though. All the countdowns, drawing-a-days, etc. will have been for nothing lol. I would be disappointed, but I imagine many in the community will take it a lot worse. At least I have Zelda in May and FFXVI in June. If we get to the end of the summer and we still haven’t heard anything, then I might get a little frustrated, but for now I’m trying to just go with the flow.

Afterall, we're soon 4 years out from this:

9PncWQ6.png

It'll be fantastic once it shows up though!
to be fair Team Cherry had never used the phrase “coming soon” and was surprised that those were the words Nintendo chose

but yeah, it’ll be real once it’s real, and I won’t get caught up in a bunch before that!

I do truly think that if a release date hasn’t dropped by June, something in platform verification / testing has gone wrong — I believe that Team Cherry really truly intends to release it by June

to be fair Team Cherry had never used the phrase “coming soon” and was surprised that those were the words Nintendo chose

but yeah, it’ll be real once it’s real, and I won’t get caught up in a bunch before that!

I do truly think that if a release date hasn’t dropped by June, something in platform verification / testing has gone wrong — I believe that Team Cherry really truly intends to release it by June
Agreed. The radio silence from TC themselves, while at the same time allowing xbox and playtesters to give release windows makes me think:
1. That they were like 95% sure they'd make that time frame, but didn't want to give a direct, full-throated confirmation (since schedules slipped multiple times for HK and makes sense with their development style of a kind of controlled "content creep"),
2. That they really are just trying to wrap up, polish and test the game asap

In the meantime, I managed to convince my wife to play Hollow Knight, as she knew it's among my favourite games. She never played games much until the Switch where she got into Animal Crossing, Odyssey, Splatoon & BotW (but mostly exploring with majoras mask on so she didn't have to fight). But she's still very much on the casual side.

Hollow Knight is by far the most difficult game she's played. Watching her struggle early on with platforming, early enemies, dying over and over to Gruz Mother, I wasn't sure how long she would last. I've been playing difficult games since I was little and I still really struggled with HK on my first playthrough. She became frustrated and felt like giving up at a few points saying "this game isn't for me". But she persevered, slowly learned the movement, how to pogo enemies and up-slash. And she has now beaten Soul Master, Dung Defender, Broken Vessel and is currently up to the Kingdom's Edge Hornet fight! It's been really awesome to watch! She is really enjoying the game and while still finds it difficult, feels very satisfied when she learns and overcomes a boss she thought was near impossible at first.

Agreed. The radio silence from TC themselves, while at the same time allowing xbox and playtesters to give release windows makes me think:
1. That they were like 95% sure they'd make that time frame, but didn't want to give a direct, full-throated confirmation (since schedules slipped multiple times for HK and makes sense with their development style of a kind of controlled "content creep"),

In the meantime, I managed to convince my wife to play Hollow Knight, as she knew it's among my favourite games. She never played games much until the Switch where she got into Animal Crossing, Odyssey, Splatoon & BotW (but mostly exploring with majoras mask on so she didn't have to fight). But she's still very much on the casual side.

Hollow Knight is by far the most difficult game she's played. Watching her struggle early on with platforming, early enemies, dying over and over to Gruz Mother, I wasn't sure how long she would last. I've been playing difficult games since I was little and I still really struggled with HK on my first playthrough. She became frustrated and felt like giving up at a few points saying "this game isn't for me". But she persevered, slowly learned the movement, how to pogo enemies and up-slash. And she has now beaten Soul Master, Dung Defender, Broken Vessel and is currently up to the Kingdom's Edge Hornet fight! It's been really awesome to watch! She is really enjoying the game and while still finds it difficult, feels very satisfied when she learns and overcomes a boss she thought was near impossible at first.
Awesome to hear. My wife tried and had a great deal of difficulty as well. Eventually, instead of her giving up, we agreed that I would fight the bosses for her. She managed to do everything including the White Palace. I hope one day she'll try to do the bosses as well, but for now I'm just glad that she got to experience what she did.

I bought her a Hornet shirt for Xmas last year and she loves it. 😊

Yeah the word soon is always bad to use, because it can be read in different ways and leaves a lot to the imagination.

However Silksong was in the official 'games coming in 2020' email from Nintendo, which I doubt they would add TC to if they didnt allow it - so at some point it was definitely coming in 2020, much like at some point Silksong was 100% coming in this next 12 months at Xbox's summer presentation last year.

My point was just - I'm not going to bank on a release frame/time until Team Cherry themselves says something hah.

Stuff can happen in development be it pandemic, change of scope, troubles with development or what not, especially when it's a small team.

God I love stories like this, I'm glad your wife is enjoying the game <3

Awesome to hear. My wife tried and had a great deal of difficulty as well. Eventually, instead of her giving up, we agreed that I would fight the bosses for her. She managed to do everything including the White Palace. I hope one day she'll try to do the bosses as well, but for now I'm just glad that she got to experience what she did.

I bought her a Hornet shirt for Xmas last year and she loves it. 😊
Very nice! Funnily enough, the only parts my wife has asked me to do for her so far are some tricky platforming bits, so not sure how she'll find White Palace 😅
God I love stories like this, I'm glad your wife is enjoying the game <3
Thanks! I'm really glad she is too 🙂

Yeah the word soon is always bad to use, because it can be read in different ways and leaves a lot to the imagination.

However Silksong was in the official 'games coming in 2020' email from Nintendo, which I doubt they would add TC to if they didnt allow it - so at some point it was definitely coming in 2020, much like at some point Silksong was 100% coming in this next 12 months at Xbox's summer presentation last year.

My point was just - I'm not going to bank on a release frame/time until Team Cherry themselves says something hah.

Stuff can happen in development be it pandemic, change of scope, troubles with development or what not, especially when it's a small team.
I forget my exact sources on this but I’m confident that Team Cherry never planned on 2020

and I thought the email in question included it as a “maybe coming soon!” but I once again don’t recall

I have no doubt that Nintendo assumed that instead of having confirmation from Team Cherry, and that marketing emails can be all kinds of wrong with limited information. Believe me — I’ve DONE marketing emails that turned out wrong based on what a company said they thought was happening.

but yeah, I definitely don’t blame you for being cautious. we’ll see it when we see it and not a second sooner.

I forget my exact sources on this but I’m confident that Team Cherry never planned on 2020

and I thought the email in question included it as a “maybe coming soon!” but I once again don’t recall

I have no doubt that Nintendo assumed that instead of having confirmation from Team Cherry, and that marketing emails can be all kinds of wrong with limited information. Believe me — I’ve DONE marketing emails that turned out wrong based on what a company said they thought was happening.

but yeah, I definitely don’t blame you for being cautious. we’ll see it when we see it and not a second sooner.

Nope the the newsletter was pretty specific about it being games coming in 2020, nothing vague like coming soon - some were dated, some werent but all were according to the newsletter slated for 2020 and every single one outside of Silksong hit 2020 which is why I am certain of that 2020 was the original plan.

For the infographic, heres a picture of it: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...coming_to_switch_in_2020_with_new_infographic

But if there's a more reliablie source than Nintendo here claiming this was never the plan, I'll just take your word for it :>

Nope the the newsletter was pretty specific about it being games coming in 2020, nothing vague like coming soon - some were dated, some werent but all were according to the newsletter slated for 2020 and every single one outside of Silksong hit 2020 which is why I am certain of that 2020 was the original plan.

For the infographic, heres a picture of it: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...coming_to_switch_in_2020_with_new_infographic

But if there's a more reliablie source than Nintendo here claiming this was never the plan, I'll just take your word for it :>
no worries! I’m pretty sure someone from Team Cherry said it in Discord but it’s impossible to keep track of that stuff

my best bet here is that because Nintendo always has “coming soon” games set to the last day of the current year, it appeared to be “close enough” for marketing

it’s telling that the original placeholder date in Steam was June 2021 — which they picked arbitrarily as being exactly three years from their Switch release — so I don’t think they ever thought 2020 was on the table

but again, this is mostly conjecture and my memory is shit — so your understanding may turn out to be much closer than mine! mysteries we’ll someday know answers to…

for the record the new placeholder date is like 2027 / 2028 and they stated these were “very much only placeholders” and said something about the release window being true

idk now though, I’m questioning everything I thought I had a grip on

no worries! I’m pretty sure someone from Team Cherry said it in Discord but it’s impossible to keep track of that stuff

my best bet here is that because Nintendo always has “coming soon” games set to the last day of the current year, it appeared to be “close enough” for marketing

it’s telling that the original placeholder date in Steam was June 2021 — which they picked arbitrarily as being exactly three years from their Switch release — so I don’t think they ever thought 2020 was on the table

but again, this is mostly conjecture and my memory is shit — so your understanding may turn out to be much closer than mine! mysteries we’ll someday know answers to…

for the record the new placeholder date is like 2027 / 2028 and they stated these were “very much only placeholders” and said something about the release window being true

idk now though, I’m questioning everything I thought I had a grip on

Hopefully Team Cherry will spill some beans down the road, because game looked pretty damn good at treehouse in 2019. Another 4 years of dev time on top of that is kinda wild, wonder what they've been up to =)

I'm just super confident in the game turning out really really good so I'm just waiting for the good stuff to happen hehe

Hopefully Team Cherry will spill some beans down the road, because game looked pretty damn good at treehouse in 2019. Another 4 years of dev time on top of that is kinda wild, wonder what they've been up to =)

I'm just super confident in the game turning out really really good so I'm just waiting for the good stuff to happen hehe
firm agree, I’m boundlessly excited

Ya'know, Silksong being at the PS4 event today could explain the eShop metadata changes, not that I have my hopes up too high - I've been in the June camp pretty much since the xbox trailer

that being said, I'll probably still watch the event just in case ;‎)

February is probably off the table now, huh? I guess the most we can do is count down the days until June 12th and hope we'll get lucky and hear something before then.

I am tired.

February is probably off the table now, huh? I guess the most we can do is count down the days until June 12th and hope we'll get lucky and hear something before then.

I am tired.
Feb is out the table but we're getting cool games very soon and big announcements before the E3. Only 4 months folks, we can do this!

The communication from Team Cherry with Silksong has been absolutely terrible. Like I don't expect constant updates or anything, but some simple community engagement would be nice.

The communication from Team Cherry with Silksong has been absolutely terrible. Like I don't expect constant updates or anything, but some simple community engagement would be nice.
It’s kind of become taboo in the community to say this, but I don’t think you’re wrong. I don’t think a blog post every six months would’ve been too much to ask.

yeah, i don't think they owe anyone anything but not tweeting or making a blog post since dec 2019 is pretty weird. i don't get this strategy of complete radio silence from them.

I see Starfield launching in June with a blowout trailer in march

Back
Back
Top Bottom