• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

probably not of concern for the near future when it comes to Nintendo hardware but figured to follow up on this because of the potential implications of what third-party games could be on Nintendo hardware

I hate this whole "HDD vs SSD" binary framing, as if all SSDs are exactly the same offering the same overall bandwidth.

There is a massive throughput difference between even an older PCIE 3.0 NVME SSD and a SATA SSD. In fact, the total bandwidth differential between a SATA SSD (500 MB/s) and a PCIE 3.0 NVME SSD (~2.5 GB/s) is the same as the difference between a HDD (100 MB/s) and a SATA SSD (500 MB/s).

And then of course you have PCIE 4.0 NVME SSDs (now doing 7 GB/s) which are actually the standard now and offer double the throughput of the fastest PCIE 3.0 NVME drives.

I hate this whole "HDD vs SSD" binary framing, as if all SSDs are exactly the same offering the same overall bandwidth.

There is a massive throughput difference between even an older PCIE 3.0 NVME SSD and a SATA SSD. In fact, the total bandwidth differential between a SATA SSD (500 MB/s) and a PCIE 3.0 NVME SSD (~2.5 GB/s) is the same as the difference between a HDD (100 MB/s) and a SATA SSD (500 MB/s).

And then of course you have PCIE 4.0 NVME SSDs (now doing 7 GB/s) which are actually the standard now and offer double the throughput of the fastest PCIE 3.0 NVME drives.
the problem with SSD types is that practical tests show a smaller difference than the sequential speeds show. games aren't single large files but many small ones. but even then, theoretical speeds can be bottlenecked somewhere else

this is totally understandable. at least CD Projekt Red did specify what types of SSD will be required for each quality preset

afd5ed6b7573ee6133c8c31902323f4453ad15e5.jpg

I'm assuming for now that even SATA SSDs are okay for Starfield given that going from HDD to SATA SSD has been proven to at least improve game load times and maybe Bethesda will provide more clarity on that SSD requirement later.

One thing came to my mind yesterday, when we see that every July reach two years, Nintendo had announced a new switch iteration, is it possible that this July, it is the time for a Switch which only works connected to a TV? That way we would have Switch (TV and handheld) Switch lite (only handheld) and Switch box (only TV - name is not definitive).
All before the grand reveal of a new system for next year. What do you think?

the problem with SSD types is that practical tests show a smaller difference than the sequential speeds show. games aren't single large files but many small ones. but even then, theoretical speeds can be bottlenecked somewhere else
Yeah, the speed of a SSD is very much also depending on the free storage still available. Because the free space will be used as kind of cache, guaranteeing good speed, especially for low end SSDs. Sony did a good job in only approving certain SSDs which will not run into such performance issues. On a PC, you couldn't do this, so you will still have to face customer which have a MMC SSD, which are quite popular especially in Lower Tier Laptops. Of course these are usually not for gaming, but there will be customer doing exactly that.

One thing came to my mind yesterday, when we see that every July reach two years, Nintendo had announced a new switch iteration, is it possible that this July, it is the time for a Switch which only works connected to a TV? That way we would have Switch (TV and handheld) Switch lite (only handheld) and Switch box (only TV - name is not definitive).
All before the grand reveal of a new system for next year. What do you think?
I can't see that, as the TV Performance is really bad and would be imo a big fail. But I saw here a very good suggestion for a TV hardware iteration: A TV bounded, as much stripped down as possible and then including Ring Fit Adventure (maybe bundled with a Sequel). They could put all necessary tech into the yoga ring, which should be fairly cost efficient compared to proper Joycons.
They might even still offer the chance to play other Switch games, you just need to buy/have the controller. They could even have Famicom styled controller attached and make it a Mario Kart and Ring Fit console. They should be easily able to push the price down below 150USD then, I would see a market for this (even Ring Fit only) with a start price of 120USD and less. They could even use old refurbished Switch, as I am quite sure most of the time they get returned because of screen and battery issues.

I don't think this was discussed yet, but Microsoft Studios is no longer making any new games for Xbone, and now all their efforts will be on Gen 9/currrent gen. Current gen games will only be "cloud" versions on xbone consoles. I'm sure the same will happen with PS4 soon enough.

Drake will definitely be getting PS4/last gen ports. But the later Drake releases, the less likely they would get cross platform last gen support for certain games like Cod, assuming it's based off PS4, assuming that some current gen versions aren't possible on Drake.

I think I'm more worried though that the later Drake/Switch 2 releases, the less likely we'd get performance enhanced backwards compatibility for switch games on Drake.
Is that really being done dirty if that was never in doubt they would keep it JP exclusive
Who was doubting this would come to the west ? I sure as hell wasn't. Plus we got Japanese games like Panel de Pon on NSO in the states..

Last edited:
I can't see that, as the TV Performance is really bad and would be imo a big fail. But I saw here a very good suggestion for a TV hardware iteration: A TV bounded, as much stripped down as possible and then including Ring Fit Adventure (maybe bundled with a Sequel). They could put all necessary tech into the yoga ring, which should be fairly cost efficient compared to proper Joycons.
They might even still offer the chance to play other Switch games, you just need to buy/have the controller. They could even have Famicom styled controller attached and make it a Mario Kart and Ring Fit console. They should be easily able to push the price down below 150USD then, I would see a market for this (even Ring Fit only) with a start price of 120USD and less. They could even use old refurbished Switch, as I am quite sure most of the time they get returned because of screen and battery issues.
That does sound comically bad. Would make more sense to pack it in with a Pro Controller, which would be cheaper than Joy-Con (while the Ring-Con needs most of the Joy-Con tech in them anyway, so integrating it wouldn't be too effective).

I do think they'd want to get it closer to 99.99, maybe 119.99, 149.99 might not be worth it for anyone involved.

I don't think this was discussed yet, but Microsoft Studios is no longer making any new games for Xbone, and now all their efforts will be on Gen 9/currrent gen. Current gen games will only be "cloud" versions on xbone consoles.

Sorta kinda. You still won't be able to BUY cloud versions of Xbox Series X|S games, but since they put Xbox Game Pass Cloud Streaming support on Xbox and continue to work on it (and provide software support for the system software of Xbox One.), you can play them "on the cloud". They're not really "cloud" versions, since with few exceptions games don't really know they're running on "the cloud", since the server blades are Xbox Series X motherboards souped up. I think Forza Horizon 4 detects it, but only for licencing reasons (no licencing done for the in-game radio channels, so if you play it on cloud it just has one royalty free channel with a weird name. There's also some bugs exclusive to console that don't show up on the cloud version.)

It's sort of crazy to me that Xbox One X launched in late 2017, and not only is it replaced, it's no longer supported. Meanwhile, Nintendo Switch is even older, and will be supported likely for several years regardless of successor.

Sorta kinda. You still won't be able to BUY cloud versions of Xbox Series X|S games, but since they put Xbox Game Pass Cloud Streaming support on Xbox and continue to work on it (and provide software support for the system software of Xbox One.), you can play them "on the cloud". They're not really "cloud" versions, since with few exceptions games don't really know they're running on "the cloud", since the server blades are Xbox Series X motherboards souped up. I think Forza Horizon 4 detects it, but only for licencing reasons (no licencing done for the in-game radio channels, so if you play it on cloud it just has one royalty free channel with a weird name. There's also some bugs exclusive to console that don't show up on the cloud version.)

It's sort of crazy to me that Xbox One X launched in late 2017, and not only is it replaced, it's no longer supported. Meanwhile, Nintendo Switch is even older, and will be supported likely for several years regardless of successor.
I think the point is that MS has officially stopped supporting development for Xbox One and once Sony does the same then AAA third parties are likely going to stop making PS4 versions of games, which would drastically decrease the likelihood/amount of Switch 2 third party games. The longer nintendo sits on their hands when it comes to releasing a successor the less third party support it will get.

I think the point is that MS has officially stopped supporting development for Xbox One and once Sony does the same then AAA third parties are likely going to stop making PS4 versions of games, which would drastically decrease the likelihood/amount of Switch 2 third party games. The longer nintendo sits on their hands when it comes to releasing a successor the less third party support it will get.
"It's a handheld PS4" is such a pessimistic (and somewhat inaccurate) view.

It's really not. It's a handheld, yes, but it's a next gen system, bells whistles and all, it's just slow compared to home consoles. How do you make up for that slowness? You can cut framerate, you can cut resolution, but isn't this the console everyone expects to have, you know, DLSS, an upscaler meant to output high resolutions with lowered performance costs? I couldn't think of a better fit.

There are simple minimum clocks below which the SOC becomes less efficient. Even at those clocks, which presumably would be for a handheld mode targeting maybe 1080p, it's not exactly a slouch. Because it's targeting 1080p... After DLSS.

"It's a handheld PS4" is such a pessimistic (and somewhat inaccurate) view.

It's really not. It's a handheld, yes, but it's a next gen system, bells whistles and all, it's just slow compared to home consoles. How do you make up for that slowness? You can cut framerate, you can cut resolution, but isn't this the console everyone expects to have, you know, DLSS, an upscaler meant to output high resolutions with lowered performance costs? I couldn't think of a better fit.

There are simple minimum clocks below which the SOC becomes less efficient. Even at those clocks, which presumably would be for a handheld mode targeting maybe 1080p, it's not exactly a slouch. Because it's targeting 1080p... After DLSS.

I didn't say "it's a handheld PS4" what I said is that it's a lot easier for third parties to justify developing Switch 2 versions if there are platforms of similar performance that they are already making versions for. That's why the (nearly impossible) scenario of it having performance closer to Series S would be a big benefit for nintendo.

I didn't say "it's a handheld PS4" what I said is that it's a lot easier for third parties to justify developing Switch 2 versions if there are platforms of similar performance that they are already making versions for. That's why the (nearly impossible) scenario of it having performance closer to Series S would be a big benefit for nintendo.

CPU core count parity and total RAM (not memory bandwidth) available for games similar to PS5, Series X and S will be what allows developers to port their games much easier than the current Switch does...

Developers will be able to tailor settings more suitable for a portable device and the lower target rendering resolutions and scale up from there for docked mode, vs how it feels Microsoft uses Series X as the lead platform and scales down to the Series S.

To be fair, xbone is the LCD, and X is the "pro model" with no exclusive games, and the same CPU with not that much higher clocks..

But yeah this kind worries me about the Switch. leaves less room or time for multiplatform support for switch and switch 2. As soon as Switch reallt nose dives, Nintendo might cut off new new game support. Can we really expect a bunch of switch games to be patched on Switch 2? I dunno. It could go either way. But it save's them money and headache if they don't.. outside evergreen titles and the latest Zelda, Pokemon and Splatoon 3 games.

We'll get old(er) ports, but yeah..

There are a few games that are actually coming to Switch and current gen games, but missing out on xbone/PS4. I forgot if Mortal Kombat 1 was one of them. But I can't expect switch support to last that much longer. Comparing switch to PS5 is like wii vs 360. Lol

CPU core count parity and total RAM (not memory bandwidth) available for games similar to PS5, Series X and S will be what allows developers to port their games much easier than the current Switch does...

Developers will be able to tailor settings more suitable for a portable device and the lower target rendering resolutions and scale up from there for docked mode, vs how it feels Microsoft uses Series X as the lead platform and scales down to the Series S.
if there's anything I'm not worried about, it's the amount of RAM. I feel like at least 12GB is a shoe in. Will be interesting to see how much it helps vs series s games.

It would be really wild if we could get something as high as 2GHz CPU cores clocked for gaming (7/8 A78c CPU cores)..I remember Z0mbie feeling confident that would be possible, along with 1Ghz GPU (~3.4 TFLOPs?) on 4nm tsmc, but we'll see...I obviously want the full lppdr5x speed (133 GB/s), but if that's already taped out, then nope. I'd settle for 110ish.

Hmm if Switch 2 does release next year, there's also a good chance PS5 Pro and X Series Pro will also release then too. They'll likely focus on 4k 60fps gaming with better RT technology.. I guess it shouldn't affect development of games on Switch 2, unless devs really try to max lot CPU. 20-30 TFLOPs GPUs for the pro miles are likely happening tho, right?

Who was doubting this would come to the west ? I sure as hell wasn't. Plus we got Japanese games like Panel de Pon on NSO in the states..
And we also don’t get Japanese games like this latest FE NSO release. Considering Mother 3 is a mess of a game, not gonna be shocked when it remains a Japanese only release.

Quoted by: D36
The game is a legal mess due to a pretty big ruling around the time of Mother 3 being localized. It’s mostly due to the music which heavily lifts from very well known & popular music.

It was frequently assumed that this is what was holding back EarthBound back in the Wii days, but eventually it did show up with no notable evidence of any special music licensing situation and no one from Nintendo ever suggesting the music was an issue. If the rumors of a Mother 3 localization were true, it's far more likely that Nintendo just got spooked for political reasons.

It was frequently assumed that this is what was holding back EarthBound back in the Wii days, but eventually it did show up with no notable evidence of any special music licensing situation and no one from Nintendo ever suggesting the music was an issue. If the rumors of a Mother 3 localization were true, it's far more likely that Nintendo just got spooked for political reasons.
Nintendo sat down with their legal team and found no issues indeed with Mother’s soundtrack. The same cannot be said with Mother 3 and the fairly recent Marvin Gay case. While political reasons are part of it, the fact Nintendo releases it in JP due to more lax IP & Copyright laws should allude that legal issues are probably involved.

I genuinely don't know what they can do for better RT given where AMD is now. I don't see a major change in AMD RT until RDNA4.
They can't really do anything with imaging scaling like DLSS either, since the AMD version is just software based, right?
...handheld PS4 sounds optimistic to me tbh
I3 tflops in docked is not unreasonable to expect in docked mode for 5 or 4nm tsmc. We'll get 40-50% of that in handheld at the lowest handheld clockspeeds, but like switch, we can get a boosted mode.

Switch 2 doesn't need 1.8 tflops to match ps4's GPU. Important to note that the tx1 switch GPU hardware is more efficient per flop than PS4. Something like 1.2 tflops could match it on the GPU side, while making up the rest with a much more efficient and modern hardware+newer features/tools. Switch 2 will also have a lot more RAM and CPU power.

Last edited:
They don't have "special FSR hardware" they can add (well, unless FSR3 needs it for frame generation), but any GPU performance increase would effectively improve FSR2 as well.

I genuinely don't know what they can do for better RT given where AMD is now. I don't see a major change in AMD RT until RDNA4.

More Ray Accelerators to speed up RT performance as they will add in more RDNA3 cores

Does Switch 2 have a small edge in texture quality vs Xbox Series S if it has 2-3GB more memory to play with? Or does the bandwidth dictate the quality of textures assets?

Silly or realistic?
Conflating "pessimism" with "realism" is a little unwise. The pessimist's view might be that I don't wake up tomorrow at all, but the realist will say I probably will. They're different viewpoints. From the evidence we have, which is EXTENSIVE, below PS4 is not "realistic", it's purely pessimistic. To the point it's silly. Thus, silly is the answer.

Edit:

I woke up today. Realists keep winning.

Last edited:
More Ray Accelerators to speed up RT performance as they will add in more RDNA3 cores

Does Switch 2 have a small edge in texture quality vs Xbox Series S if it has 2-3GB more memory to play with? Or does the bandwidth dictate the quality of textures assets?
More RT cores doesn't mean better performance. It speeds up intersection testing, bvh traversal, and ray sorting (combinations of these depend on which brand you get), but the slowest part is still shading the pixels. RT performance scales more with more shader cores.

Drake can have better textures but it might come at the expense of loading them when they're needed

Nintendo sat down with their legal team and found no issues indeed with Mother’s soundtrack. The same cannot be said with Mother 3 and the fairly recent Marvin Gay case. While political reasons are part of it, the fact Nintendo releases it in JP due to more lax IP & Copyright laws should allude that legal issues are probably involved.
This is entirely speculation and may very well not be true, let's be clear. Personally I still very much doubt that music issues are holding back Mother 3 and actually think it's unwise to keep saying this because it's one of those self fulfilling prophecy type things where the more people say this like it's fact the more Nintendo takes notice of it and maybe actually does let it influence their future decisions regarding the game.

This is entirely speculation and may very well not be true, let's be clear. Personally I still very much doubt that music issues are holding back Mother 3 and actually think it's unwise to keep saying this because it's one of those self fulfilling prophecy type things where the more people say this like it's fact the more Nintendo takes notice of it and maybe actually does let it influence their future decisions regarding the game.
How in the world do you get a self filling prophecy when Nintendo would go to their legal team in the first place, much like they did with Mother’s localization. They are already being influenced with their lack of action bringing it westward for any type of release.

How in the world do you get a self filling prophecy when Nintendo would go to their legal team in the first place, much like they did with Mother’s localization. They are already being influenced with their lack of action bringing it westward for any type of release.
What is the source on them "going to the legal team" with Mother's localization. This is all speculation regarding the music stuff and much like with for example what just happened with Dolphin on Steam sometimes the bigger stink is made about something the more rights holders/lawyers are compelled to take action on it.

The lack of a localized release could be due to any number of factors including the game's content, the extremely weird situation of trying to market and release a localized GBA game as if it's brand new in the first place, and yes, the music stuff. But just because one youtube video says so does not make it some 100% confirmed deal. Nothing is theoretically stopping them from editing the ROM to avoid these issues either, as we just saw with the NES release of Tower of Babel/"Mystery Tower." It would be more work than in that case depending on what they deem to be the issues, but it could absolutely be done.

Isn't handheld Xbox One...what Tegra X1 essentially is?
no lol

handheld xbox one
That’s only 30% worse than the PS4, in practice.

But even if Drake was…. 1.6TFLOPs portable, it would be better than the PS4 and XB1 in real world.

Portable PS4 isn’t impossible. And doesn’t need to hit the 1.6TFLOPs to match it in practice.

That said, these comments about PS4 being this pinnacle target have me believing that Nintendo doesn’t need to try hard for the next system to sell another 100M if the bar is PS4 :p.

I just wish they’d go with 5X memory instead of 5 memory.

120-136GB/s would be nice to age more gracefully and would be comparable to the PS4, even with that having 176GB/s on paper. Due to Ampere being more efficient in terms of memory bandwidth than GCN of old.

I cannot keep up with that thread's pace 😭
Can anyone give a TL;DR on the Direct thread. I had a look myself, but there was a lot of noise and it took about 15 mins to find a secondary reference to next week being the threads consensus (which is my guess as well, so maybe just confirmation bias)?

What is the source on them "going to the legal team" with Mother's localization. This is all speculation regarding the music stuff and much like with for example what just happened with Dolphin on Steam sometimes the bigger stink is made about something the more rights holders/lawyers are compelled to take action on it.

The lack of a localized release could be due to any number of factors including the game's content, the extremely weird situation of trying to market and release a localized GBA game as if it's brand new in the first place, and yes, the music stuff. But just because one youtube video says so does not make it some 100% confirmed deal. Nothing is theoretically stopping them from editing the ROM to avoid these issues either, as we just saw with the NES release of Tower of Babel/"Mystery Tower." It would be more work than in that case depending on what they deem to be the issues, but it could absolutely be done.
“We did sit down with our legal department and we were pretty certain that there weren’t going to be any issues with a lot of this stuff because we were kind of protected to some degree by the parody clause you get,” Lindblom said.
I would assume Mother 2 & 3 got the same treatment because you can’t just assume this type of stuff. Its not just about being compelled to take action but opening yourself up to such scrutiny & action; this is more so true in the current music copyright climate & doubly so when your samples include, at times almost one to one, the likes of the Beatles & Michael Jackson.

Sure there are many reasons for why a game isn’t localized. I just think the legal issues are a bigger sticking point then the problematic content that needs to be tackled first. And, they very much were thinking of selling a localized port of a GBA game as a port so it’s not some far fetched idea. Theoretically nothing is stopping them; realistically they see devoted resources to just editing & it then becomes another project entirely.

Can anyone give a TL;DR on the Direct thread. I had a look myself, but there was a lot of noise and it took about 15 mins to find a secondary reference to next week being the threads consensus (which is my guess as well, so maybe just confirmation bias)?
NateDrake says there will be a June Direct and has seemingly, though not officially, implied the 21st

Jeff Grubb says there will be something in June

this coming week is more likely than the one after because Nintendo has a financials meeting on Friday that they likely want games dated before

afaik that's all

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom