• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

These are two perfect examples of games Nintendo can roll out as cross gen releases. They will play perfectly fine on Switch and will render at 4K on Redacted without a problem. The next 2D Mario is in the same boat, it will be easy for Nintendo to make it cross gen and look and play great on both the new and old hardware.

It seems like most people expect a lot of titles to be cross gen when Redacted comes out, but will it have any exclusives at launch? I do not feel like they need them in order to sell a lot of hardware during its first year on the market. There is plenty of pent up demand within the massive Switch userbase for a new more powerful Switch that specifically improves the docked experience. There is more criticism for Switch docked play compared to portable. Both Sony and Microsoft have established that there isn't a need for day one exclusives to sell new consoles, but at the same time Nintendo's big titles tend to be evergreen titles that sell for years and years. If the next 3D Mario were to be exclusive to Redacted for example, it would not sell as well as it could in its first year if it had been cross gen, but will that matter much to Nintendo seeing as how they expect it to sell for the next five years.

Xenoblade Chronicles X would be another title perfect for cross gen. People have been wondering why it hasn't been ported to Switch yet. It will look and run just fine on Switch, but with some extra work could really take advantage of better hardware and render at 4K on Redacted. Some of the titles we have been waiting for might have been pegged as cross gen releases for Nintendo.
Makes sense. We get a mix of past gen titles and current gen titles as a transition period

These are two perfect examples of games Nintendo can roll out as cross gen releases. They will play perfectly fine on Switch and will render at 4K on Redacted without a problem. The next 2D Mario is in the same boat, it will be easy for Nintendo to make it cross gen and look and play great on both the new and old hardware.

It seems like most people expect a lot of titles to be cross gen when Redacted comes out, but will it have any exclusives at launch? I do not feel like they need them in order to sell a lot of hardware during its first year on the market. There is plenty of pent up demand within the massive Switch userbase for a new more powerful Switch that specifically improves the docked experience. There is more criticism for Switch docked play compared to portable. Both Sony and Microsoft have established that there isn't a need for day one exclusives to sell new consoles, but at the same time Nintendo's big titles tend to be evergreen titles that sell for years and years. If the next 3D Mario were to be exclusive to Redacted for example, it would not sell as well as it could in its first year if it had been cross gen, but will that matter much to Nintendo seeing as how they expect it to sell for the next five years.

Xenoblade Chronicles X would be another title perfect for cross gen. People have been wondering why it hasn't been ported to Switch yet. It will look and run just fine on Switch, but with some extra work could really take advantage of better hardware and render at 4K on Redacted. Some of the titles we have been waiting for might have been pegged as cross gen releases for Nintendo.
Having no exclusives would be very dissapointing. I'm expecting games that simply cannot feasibly run on the Switch, not just Switch games but with better graphics.

Backwards compatibility would nullify the need for cross-generation games. They would just release on the Switch, and also be playable on the new system.

If being "railroaded" means telling a story to the player then I agree about that definition, and that is exactly why Wind Waker is such a wonderful game. What made BotW so, great and successful is a total freedom that is also a freedom to go around aimlessly. I think that sums up what there is to love but also potentially to find off-putting about what Zelda has become. Someone tell me a story! I don't mind it. Let the music delight me! I don't mind it. Maybe it will be more interesting and creative than baking apples or cutting logs.

If being "railroaded" means telling a story to the player then I agree about that definition, and that is exactly why Wind Waker is such a wonderful game. What made BotW so, great and successful is a total freedom that is also a freedom to go around aimlessly. I think that sums up what there is to love but also potentially to find off-putting about what Zelda has become. Someone tell me a story! I don't mind it. Let the music delight me! I don't mind it. Maybe it will be more interesting and creative than baking apples or cutting logs.
More overt, present music and open-world gameplay aren't mutually exclusive, though. The minimalist style of BotW's music wasn't because of the open world, it was a conscious decision. TotK could easily have a much more bombastic, traditional soundtrack if they want it to.

I love how we're heading even closer to 1000 pages, while going off topic 😂
Better than talking in circles about marketing for the system. Now we're just talking about a Sony handheld and marketing about the games instead. :ROFLMAO:

Off topic? Yes. A better discussion? ...Not necessarily, but I'd argue yes.

i just come in every so often to see what's going on, i don't find discussing what ifs with this kind of stuff as fun as it used to be, when i could just be playing a game or something. i put 350 hours into my Switch in the last Nintendo newsletter timeframe, the most I've put into it in a single month ever.

Breath of the Wild gave me a Zelda that was actually as explorable as it felt, for the first time since Adventure of Link. But it also gave me puzzles I could get wrong, and that I could get right not by understanding the developer, but by understanding the systems I was playing with.

there are lots of games you can solve puzzles with wrong solutions or by using something intended. that's not inherently new. i uhhhh end up doing it quite often, especially cause i'm stubborn.

i also don't think puzzles with more than one answer are inherently better. lots of real life puzzles have one answer, same for puzzle games like Layton.

though there are also tons of puzzle games with more than one answer: Tetris, Catherine, etc.

Sort of interesting that we've been hearing more about upcoming Sony hardware than Nintendo.
That has more to do with the prevalence and crappiness of Western leak outlets, and the credulity of their audiences, than what the companies are actually doing.

More overt, present music and open-world gameplay aren't mutually exclusive, though. The minimalist style of BotW's music wasn't because of the open world, it was a conscious decision. TotK could easily have a much more bombastic, traditional soundtrack if they want it to.
What's great is that you can't even say that music is not actually present in BotW. The sound design is not anecdotal, it is in fact crucial and it is as important as in the other Zelda games. On the other hand, it is entirely at the service of this strong bias to let us goof off. It can be a total joy or a pain in the ass, depending on your state of mind at the time. Personally I went from a huge rejection (an Animal Crossing new Horizons level of rejection) to an inconditionnal love for BotW. And overall, for exactly the same reasons. I understand that a goal is missing for whoever loved love The Wind Waker. I understand that freedom makes all the other Zelda games bland to whoever loved Botw.

I wonder if Scarlet/Violet's rushed release played a part in their departures.

more than likely is it was planned for a while, and now that SV is out, they can bring on new people rather than doing it before release.

What's great is that you can't even say that music is not actually present in BotW. The sound design is not anecdotal, it is in fact crucial and it is as important as in the other Zelda games. On the other hand, it is entirely at the service of this strong bias to let us goof off. It can be a total joy or a pain in the ass, depending on your state of mind at the time. Personally I went from a huge rejection (an Animal Crossing new Horizons level of rejection) to an inconditionnal love for BotW. And overall, for exactly the same reasons. I understand that a goal is missing for whoever loved love The Wind Waker. I understand that freedom makes all the other Zelda games bland to whoever loved Botw.

the dislike for the New Horizons music is something I'll never understand, i think it's probably the best soundtrack in the series after ACGC.

Forgive me, I don't quite get what you're saying in relation to what I was saying.

there are lots of games you can solve puzzles with wrong solutions or by using something intended. that's not inherently new. i uhhhh end up doing it quite often, especially cause i'm stubborn.
I didn't say it was original to Zelda, or that it was the "best" just that it's what I grew up with in the early games, and missed about some of the more recent ones. I know I am in the minority!

I see it as an alternative to phone + Backbone for people that want to play handheld at home with the addition of matching DualSense form factor and function. I play Switch mostly at home. This really isn’t that bad sounding of a product if it works well.
Before this place goes back to Nintendo, I just want to say, I don't think the Q Lite is a bad idea. Not at all, in fact. PS5 is swiftly becoming an ecosystem, and Sony wants people to stay in that ecosystem as much as possible. Whether that's room scale VR and social events with PSVR2, or just waking up and being able to grab your Q Lite and boot up PS5 from bed. You never have to stop playing PlayStation.
Yes, the Q Lite can be useful to some players. How the product would contribute to the PS business, on the other hand, is less clear.
  • Does Sony expect to expand into new market segments via Q Lite? The requirement of a PS5 makes that seems unlikely. Considering the combined cost, the potential buyers probably will choose a Steam Deck or ROG Ally.
  • Or is the Q Lite a premium accessory targeting current PS5 owners? Two possible obstacles here:
    • PS5 is marketed as an AAA cinematic "no limits" machine. Would enough of the install base be content with experiencing the PS5 titles on a handheld device? Not to mention the game UI in some cases won't scale well to a 8" display. The slice of the pie just might not be big enough.
    • To generate enough revenues to make this worthwhile, the Q Lite probably needs to be a premium product, not unlike those Sony gaming monitors and headsets. But if they price it too high, again, its value prop vis-à-vis Steam Deck would come into question. The DualSense Edge already costs $200.
  • One upside I can think of is using Q Lite to increase the PS Plus Premium subscriptions:
    • Presently, the Premium's "Classic Catalog" isn't getting a lot of love due to the AAA market positioning. A handheld is quite suitable for playing retro titles, however, and may recreate the PSP/Vita experience that many are fond of.
    • Henderson reported that Q Lite will mandate "constant connectivity to the internet". Yes, it is to enable the Remote Play everywhere, but could also mean built-in support for the Premium's cloud streaming.
I think the biggest update could be a Mario Kart Builder mode. Can you imagine infinite tracks? Make your own cup? They could even have a designer mode for the design of the cup! Would be really fun and really bring something new to the series. They could experiment with adding really whacky additions to the builder that might not otherwise make it to the series.
Cool concept. To build a good, fun, and balanced race track might be challenging for many though, not to mention time-consuming, which would go against MK's pick-up-and-play appeal. At the GDC, I saw a pre-release indie racer game that attempts to solve these problems by allowing the players to modify the tracks, instead of building them:

Sorry if the above is a bit off topic.

Xenoblade Chronicles X would be another title perfect for cross gen. People have been wondering why it hasn't been ported to Switch yet. It will look and run just fine on Switch, but with some extra work could really take advantage of better hardware and render at 4K on Redacted.
Xenoblade X in 4K could almost immediately be one of the most beautiful Nintendo games ever released.

Cool concept. To build a good, fun, and balanced race track might be challenging for many though, not to mention time-consuming, which would go against MK's pick-up-and-play appeal. At the GDC, I saw a pre-release indie racer game that attempts to solve these problems by allowing the players to modify the tracks, instead of building them:

Sorry if the above is a bit off totopic.

F-Zero X had a track builder on the 64DD, which was fairly intuitive from what I gather. Labo Variety Kit also had a track design feature, which I remember being limited, but simple.

I think, even if it's just a Link's Awakening style, "rearrange the prefabs" system, it would still be a decently fun feature, especially in conjunction with the ability to make custom grand prix.

I wonder if Scarlet/Violet's rushed release played a part in their departures.
more than likely is it was planned for a while, and now that SV is out, they can bring on new people rather than doing it before release.
Tsunekazu Ishihara stepping down makes sense to me. He's still president of the Pokemon Company, and he had already taken a reduced role at Creatures because of that. The weird corporate interconnect between Creatures/Pokemon Company/Nintendo always make my head ache, and this could effectively be more an effect of Ishihara taking more control of Pokemon going forward, rather than less.

What's weirder to me is Hip Tanaka apparently stepped down as President at the same time? Is he retiring?

Quoted by: D36
Nintendo Switch 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this info circulate last week and turned out to be untrustworthy? So many bad "leaks" that they start to blend together.
As a general rule of thumb, always store leaks and rumours in short-term memory. It's not worth remembering every leak, simply because most of them turn out to either be wrong, made up, or """correct""" but not really 100% accurate. The only ones worth remembering are the GTA6 leaks of the world. Stuff that's so damming that it's actually harder to disprove than to prove.

Tsunekazu Ishihara stepping down makes sense to me. He's still president of the Pokemon Company, and he had already taken a reduced role at Creatures because of that. The weird corporate interconnect between Creatures/Pokemon Company/Nintendo always make my head ache, and this could effectively be more an effect of Ishihara taking more control of Pokemon going forward, rather than less.

What's weirder to me is Hip Tanaka apparently stepped down as President at the same time? Is he retiring?
In regards to the highlighted, I hope not! The guy makes some great music; even released an album two years ago and the year before.

@NintendoPrime Has put a video up about that Hawk rumour today, wasn't that debunked as massively fake already?
People believe anything and not a lot of people lurk this form specifically. Of course people would report on it without scrutiny.
Of course it's being debated by r/gamingleaksandrumours mods as well after some people posted a link to this form so... yeah.

Don't be surprised when some idiot finds a leak and makes a huge deal out of it. That's how leaks get out of hand in the first place.

It may be unprecedented in the history of video games and may have no point whatsoever, but yeah, why not.

Every single third-party launch window game getting leaked over a series of months before the system itself is even announced will be something I guess.
Nintendo Switch's big software blowout was less than 3 months before launch. That isn't unprecedented, that's more time than their current system.

Last edited:
Literally nothing. A 4chan user made a list of fake info to see if it would circulate. It started to, the creator of the false info posted here that the info was fake, and now the fake info is once again hitting YT channels as a "rumor/leak", despite it being neither.
Oh i completely forgot about that one, ty

People believe anything and not a lot of people lurk this form specifically. Of course people would report on it without scrutiny.
Of course it's being debated by r/gamingleaksandrumours mods as well after some people posted a link to this form so... yeah.

Don't be surprised when some idiot finds a leak and makes a huge deal out of it. That's how leaks get out of hand in the first place.
It's more surprising to me that they come here, and have used tech info to make videos and stuff. Would have thought that they may have known Metro were chatting crap.

It's more surprising to me that they come here, and have used tech info to make videos and stuff. Would have thought that they may have known Metro were chatting crap.
On the plus side, Switch 2 hitting the mainstream news sites, even due to a fake leak, puts extra pressure on Nintendo to say something official to quell reports, while the media seeing it get clicks rapidly dive in, and maybe an actual journalist gets involved and does some digging.

Maybe it ends up nothing. Maybe it's a tipping point! Probably nothing.

On the plus side, Switch 2 hitting the mainstream news sites, even due to a fake leak, puts extra pressure on Nintendo to say something official to quell reports, while the media seeing it get clicks rapidly dive in, and maybe an actual journalist gets involved and does some digging.

I've been tempted from time to time. Make a few leaks, throw them out into the wild and see what might possibly get corroborated by any more reputable sources.

Unfortunately, all that would end up doing is making me depressed when something does or does not happen. So I think I'm best at just sticking to wishful thinking, like Holiday 2023 is definitely happening guys. Really really.

God, best case scenario is that everyone starts pestering the fuck out of Nintendo about the new system.

I can't be the only one who feels like the new system has already overshadowed TotK by virtue of it being such a big unknown. Its a case where, if I at least knew when we were going to get more info, I could mostly forget about it until then. However, because a 2023 release seems all but confirmed, yet with no official word, I can't help but ignore the $70 BotW romhack.

I'm sure TotK will be great, don't kill me

Holiday 2023 is definitely happening guys. Really really.
If it happens, then obviously that's great. If it doesn't happen...

...making backups of Switch games is easier than I thought, and Yuzu runs them like a dream, even on low-end hardware such as, oh, um, competitively-priced Portable PC's

🤷‍♂️

In regards to the highlighted, I hope not! The guy makes some great music; even released an album two years ago and the year before.

tbf, retiring from his businessy roles means he can just focus on his music more

God, best case scenario is that everyone starts pestering the fuck out of Nintendo about the new system.

I can't be the only one who feels like the new system has already overshadowed TotK by virtue of it being such a big unknown. Its a case where, if I at least knew when we were going to get more info, I could mostly forget about it until then. However, because a 2023 release seems all but confirmed, yet with no official word, I can't help but ignore the $70 BotW romhack.

I'm sure TotK will be great, don't kill me
Yeah, the longer they draw this out the longer it will get for them. Once we're in the period after TOTK and they have nothing announced, media will probably reach a fever pitch asking about Switch 2. Even Arlo knows the Switch is in its twilight years, the rest of the media landscape likely concurs. Tears of the Kingdom is, without a doubt in my mind, the last major title for Nintendo Switch. From here on out it's smaller titles like Pikmin 4, cross gen titles like Metroid Prime 4, and outright next gen exclusives.

With some pseudo-cross-gen-but-really-Switch1 remakes for Metroid Prime 2, 3, and Fire Emblem 4 (Genealogy).

I've been tempted from time to time. Make a few leaks, throw them out into the wild and see what might possibly get corroborated by any more reputable sources.

Unfortunately, all that would end up doing is making me depressed when something does or does not happen. So I think I'm best at just sticking to wishful thinking, like Holiday 2023 is definitely happening guys. Really really.
Honestly, holiday 2023 is almost an inevitability at this point. Still wanting to bet Famicoins on it, tho.

Hope this doesn't bite me in the ass in the event that I'm wrong.

Eh, I don't think they'll be swayed that easily. Now if this were the Wii U era, maybe, but I'm inclined to believe they'll be steadfast about how they handle their news.

Eh, I don't think they'll be swayed that easily. Now if this were the Wii U era, maybe, but I'm inclined to believe they'll be steadfast about how they handle their news.
Didn't Nintendo make that tweet to shut down the Pro rumors when the Bloomberg article started circulating? Deconfirming is a bit different than confirming something I suppose, but it's somewhat similar.

Didn't Nintendo make that tweet to shut down the Pro rumors when the Bloomberg article started circulating? Deconfirming is a bit different than confirming something I suppose, but it's somewhat similar.
True, though in this case, Bloomberg is a well known media outlet, so it makes sense that Nintendo spoke out.

True, though in this case, Bloomberg is a well known media outlet, so it makes sense that Nintendo spoke out.
Metro is better known here by the layperson than Bloomberg is! You never know!

Plus this could end up swirling up to the major publications one way or another.

All this talk about a Playstation handheld makes me think of the possibilities. Could this be possible?
- ~ 2 TFLOP GPU
-8 CPU Zen 3 cores at around 3Ghz each. OS only uses 1 core instead of 1.5 cores, while 7 would be for gaming on the handheld.. Since Zen has an IPC of 11% more than Zen 2, the ranges can be 2.7Ghz-3.1 GHz.
-12GB LPDDR5/X RAM at 102-133 GB/s with the same battery life as OG Switch?
-1080p screen
-NVNe storage or ufs 3.1

would all this be possible with similar battery life to OG Switch, and at an affordable price($400 Max) 🧐
Looking at the list of mobile Zen 3 chips on wikipedia, the R7 and R9 Cezanne SKUs are pretty close to what you're asking for, CPU & GPU-wise. For SKUs with a base clock in the ~3 ghz (or close enough) range, they're all in the 35W or above TDP categories. Not a precise method, but it is telling that to fit in to lower TDP categories, you have to drop in either base clock for CPU or something on the GPU side. Gonna need a big battery if you want decent longevity here (like... sized for laptops :p)

Aside: Ugh, I gotta admit, I don't actually know what base clock is in AMD's parlance.
In Intel speak, base clock = guaranteed minimum clock that all cores can maintain in a heavy, all-core, non-AVX workload. TDP = all cores can maintain exactly Base Clock rate with power draw no more than TDP watts. And typically the recommended PL1 is TDP's value, but mobo manufacturers like to override that or do crap like infinite duration with PL2.
Anyway, I don't know what AMD's definition is or how well my understanding of Intel's version would transfer.

Metro is better known here by the layperson than Bloomberg is! You never know!

Plus this could end up swirling up to the major publications one way or another.
By major publications, are you referring to stuff like Destructoid and Kotaku, or like mainstream? Because the latter sounds outrageous.

Looking at the list of mobile Zen 3 chips on wikipedia, the R7 and R9 Cezanne SKUs are pretty close to what you're asking for, CPU & GPU-wise. For SKUs with a base clock in the ~3 ghz (or close enough) range, they're all in the 35W or above TDP categories. Not a precise method, but it is telling that to fit in to lower TDP categories, you have to drop in either base clock for CPU or something on the GPU side. Gonna need a big battery if you want decent longevity here (like... sized for laptops :p)

Aside: Ugh, I gotta admit, I don't actually know what base clock is in AMD's parlance.
In Intel speak, base clock = guaranteed minimum clock that all cores can maintain in a heavy, all-core, non-AVX workload. TDP = all cores can maintain exactly Base Clock rate with power draw no more than TDP watts. And typically the recommended PL1 is TDP's value, but mobo manufacturers like to override that or do crap like infinite duration with PL2.
Anyway, I don't know what AMD's definition is or how well my understanding of Intel's version would transfer.
Now add memory and you have an additional 50w :p

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom