• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

No. I don't think there's a succinct way to describe what I'm thinking of.
Haha, I understand what you’re saying.

—————

Back on Switch 2: let’s have a less technical discussion: what will the logo’s main color be? Red again? Blue? A combination of Red and another one?

Haha, I understand what you’re saying.

—————

Back on Switch 2: let’s have a less technical discussion: what will the logo’s main color be? Red again? Blue? A combination of Red and another one?
It's possible they don't change the logo or branding at all.

If they do, I'd expect the logo change to be present only in the text portion that says "Nintendo Switch" at present.

In terms of colour, if they DO change:

Green and Blue are pleasant, but their competitors use them. They'll probably stick with red. I could see them going with crimson and black, rather than red and white, though. That said, they spent a lot of time deciding on that red and it's the same red as their company logo... So, perhaps the same red with black replacing white.

It's possible they don't change the logo or branding at all.

If they do, I'd expect the logo change to be present only in the text portion that says "Nintendo Switch" at present.

In terms of colour, if they DO change:

Green and Blue are pleasant, but their competitors use them. They'll probably stick with red. I could see them going with crimson and black, rather than red and white, though. That said, they spent a lot of time deciding on that red and it's the same red as their company logo... So, perhaps the same red with black replacing white.
My sentiments exactly. They’ll stay with red, as a continuation of the Switch brand. Maybe the “2” will have a different color.

—————

By the way, pages ago I saw a rumor of an open world Donkey Kong game for the Switch 2. Has there been a followup?

By the way, pages ago I saw a rumor of an open world Donkey Kong game for the Switch 2. Has there been a followup?

That game was in development for Switch 1 but it was scrapped. New rumors are that EPD Tokyo is working on Donkey Kong, unknown if it's 2D or 3D at the moment. Everything else is speculation, including if it's a Switch 2 game

That game was in development for Switch 1 but it was scrapped. New rumors are that EPD Tokyo is working on Donkey Kong, unknown if it's 2D or 3D at the moment. Everything else is speculation, including if it's a Switch 2 game
Thanks! So it could be a H2 Switch game or Switch 2 game 🧐

My sentiments exactly. They’ll stay with red, as a continuation of the Switch brand. Maybe the “2” will have a different color.

—————

Don't think the donkey kong game was specified for a new switch. Don't think there has been any relevant info on it for a year+

—————

Everything indicates that this rumor was nothing more than bullshit.

—————

Neon blue IS already part of the brand, but logos are REALLY better off being black or white and ONE colour, which is why you see so many doing it.

If there's a 2, I think it'll be a little more complicated than just being appended to the end of the name. Maybe in superscript (as in squared) or Latin number 2 (II) to give it character.

II also calls back to the ii in Wii and Mii (which represents two people coming together to play games), and to the Switch logo itself (two Joy-Con). That said, the two problems with that iconography is they may not WANT to call back to Wii, and it leaves future consoles in the lurch if II becomes so integral to the Switch Brand. Though I could see a path forward that doesn't move traditionally, like II, III, V, X, XV, M, etc.

III stylsied I[]I to represent the console between controllers. V stylised \/, X with the bottom right leg cut off, XV combining the above, M being stylised I\/I, etc.

Neon blue IS already part of the brand, but logos are REALLY better off being black or white and ONE colour, which is why you see so many doing it.

If there's a 2, I think it'll be a little more complicated than just being appended to the end of the name. Maybe in superscript (as in squared) or Latin number 2 (II) to give it character.

II also calls back to the ii in Wii and Mii (which represents two people coming together to play games), and to the Switch logo itself (two Joy-Con). That said, the two problems with that iconography is they may not WANT to call back to Wii, and it leaves future consoles in the lurch if II becomes so integral to the Switch Brand. Though I could see a path forward that doesn't move traditionally, like II, III, V, X, XV, M, etc.

III stylsied I[]I to represent the console between controllers. V stylised \/, X with the bottom right leg cut off, XV combining the above, M being stylised I\/I, etc.
I could definitely see them going the superscript route with the 2: Switch^2

—————

Another topic I’d like to touch is Joycons. I think Nintendo is gonna release the 2 with a newer model of Joycons. They’re gonna market them as better to get people to buy them, but the 2 will obviously be compatible with the older ones. That way they can capitalize on old and new Joycons

The original rumor was that Vicarious Visions was developing the "open-world 3D Donkey Kong" game by late 2017, that's why the assumption is that it was always intended to be a Switch 1 game

Ok. Then it's a rumor. Rumors are cheap and often die without a follow up, because most rumors are wrong.
With that being said, I'm sure we'll hear soon (<12 months) about a new DK, but not because of rumors 😬.

Weather in my area is nice today, did well on my design and analyze algorithms exam, and I just woke up feeling good today. If the world's as happy with me as it seems to be, then I'll get some REDACTED news today to round it out. 🙏

Weather in my area is nice today, did well on my design and analyze algorithms exam, and I just woke up feeling good today. If the world's as happy with me as it seems to be, then I'll get some REDACTED news today to round it out. 🙏
spreadint good vibes

Why in the world do you think this?

Refusing to announce in June when the system is coming out in November would make no sense at all, there's no benefit to doing so. There's nothing to overshadow, Switch sales will be so-so in June and July regardless, just no benefit to holding off after June.

If it's coming out in March 2024, then June is probably still the best time to announce as you can't announce in January, and announcing in October or November would probably do more harm to your holiday sales.

April is most likely as there's no real reason to go into the investor's meeting pretending you're not releasing hardware this year, just feels weird to do. A minor press release saying "stay tuned for this summer when we will reveal the Switch 2" is the type of announcement I would expect if it's announced in April.

As I posted earlier, a June announcement for a November release would still be the shortest announcement to release timeframe for a major video game console. 6 months (for the Xbox One) is the shortest time period currently. 3 months is completely unprecedented, would serve no point, would cause leaks everywhere, etc.

I thought clarifying those two different types of corporate information sharing could be helpful to the discussion. But if no one thinks so then ok…
I don't think you're wrong that it would be nice to have some consensus. I tried to do the same thing a while back

I think using the word "reveal" for "actually show me something" is good. The problem is "announcement" because there are a lot of fuzzy lines there.

I’m at the movie theater right now and dunno why this thread is quite down on Nintendo despite having a new Mario movie out.

Edit: What I mean to say is that there is a whole lot of skepticism with regards to releasing this year to saying Nintendo has absolutely NO plans coming second half.

Weather is amazing as well in South Portugal and I'll go enjoy the beach soon after work. With that being said, no news today I'm afraid. June is, was, and will be my guess for the first solid piece of info.

Everything indicates that this rumor was nothing more than bullshit.
Smelled like it from the very beginning. It just sounds exactly like the type of thing that someone outside of the Nintendo sphere would make up because they think it sounds cool.

If Nintendo figure out how to make an open-world 3D platformer, they would give the first honour to Mario, rather than condemning it to <10M sales by giving it to DK.

Weather is amazing as well in South Portugal and I'll go enjoy the beach soon after work. With that being said, no news today I'm afraid. June is, was, and will be my guess for the first solid piece of info.
I honestly wouldn't be all too shocked if some random leak happened in May after TotK releases, but that's relying on pure gut instinct.
Regardless, this is going to be a rather boring pair of months outside the big Zelda-shaped release that's happening.

Yeah June is my guess, maybe May if we're lucky. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Been pretty chilly and gloomy on the US East Coast lately. We got battered by a massive storm a few days ago, complete with some tornados! It's pretty cloudy today, so not a lot of sun, but the weather feels so good that I don't mind! Perfect time for me to get back into running.

Refusing to announce in June when the system is coming out in November would make no sense at all, there's no benefit to doing so. There's nothing to overshadow, Switch sales will be so-so in June and July regardless, just no benefit to holding off after June.

If it's coming out in March 2024, then June is probably still the best time to announce as you can't announce in January, and announcing in October or November would probably do more harm to your holiday sales.

April is most likely as there's no real reason to go into the investor's meeting pretending you're not releasing hardware this year, just feels weird to do. A minor press release saying "stay tuned for this summer when we will reveal the Switch 2" is the type of announcement I would expect if it's announced in April.

As I posted earlier, a June announcement for a November release would still be the shortest announcement to release timeframe for a major video game console. 6 months (for the Xbox One) is the shortest time period currently. 3 months is completely unprecedented, would serve no point, would cause leaks everywhere, etc.
There's plenty of reason for a short reveal to release, and it's already basically leaked everywhere, at least the SOC has. It's really not unprecedented, either, while there IS a precedent for periods longer than that being unsuccessful (Wii U).

Bored. Going insane. Decided to do some five minute edits to entertain this idea.

insp7eM.png
9WDLMc3.png
sjB4aOD.png

Yes, I know they're dumb and stupid and bad, thanks for asking.

I honestly wouldn't be all too shocked if some random leak happened in May after TotK releases, but that's relying on pure gut instinct.
Regardless, this is going to be a rather boring pair of months outside the big Zelda-shaped release that's happening.
Yes, that I can't discard though I have trust issues with "leaks", "rumors" and "inside info trust me bro plans have changed don't test us you'll lose". With that being said, the closer we get to the release date, the likelier it is that someone actually learns something relevant, which hasn't been the case so far.

In June, I expect something official, like Nintendo acknowledging that a new console generation is planned to release "within about 12 months, please be excited and don't stop buying the Switch. Have you heard of the 2D Mario we'll release on October 2023?".

Yes, that I can't discard though I have trust issues with "leaks", "rumors" and "inside info trust me bro plans have changed don't test us you'll lose". With that being said, the closer we get to the release date, the likelier it is that someone actually learns something relevant, which hasn't been the case so far.

In June, I expect something official, like Nintendo acknowledging that a new console generation is planned to release "within about 12 months, please be excited and don't stop buying the Switch. Have you heard of the 2D Mario we'll release on October 2023?".
I actually wouldn't be all too shocked if we'll get an official Nintendo direct with a tease about the new console, but I doubt it still.
Regardless, June is the month were things are going to start cooking.

The encouraging part about those Sony rumors is that it proves that as soon as there's something to leak from Nintendo it's probably going to happen to hell and back.
Oh god, I'm not looking forward for Sony fanboys on Twitter when both whatever Sony is developing and the Switch [REDACTED] are announced at different times. Good lord, Twitter is going to be insufferable.

Still, I look forward to it. The future for the Switch still looks reasonably bright all things considered.

There's plenty of reason for a short reveal to release, and it's already basically leaked everywhere, at least the SOC has. It's really not unprecedented, either, while there IS a precedent for periods longer than that being unsuccessful (Wii U).

At thig point there doesn't seem to be any changing minds on this one. You either believe in a short turnaround or you don't. Honestly we don't have long to find out. June could potentially bring some clarity on what Nintendo's plans are or give us nothing at all. A Nintendo Direct highlighting a bunch of Switch games for the second half with no mention of new hardware would move my expectations for new hardware into 2024, but the flip of that is a June with no Direct would increase my confidence in a late 2023 release. A short teaser reveal could come as early as June or as late as August. My opinion is Nintendo has nothing to gain by announcing sooner, but a few months sooner and its not going to kill them either. I'm very anxious for the Switch Redacted reveal to take place, for me, I would love for it to be today, but that's very different from what I believe is a good business strategy for Nintendo.

The encouraging part about those Sony rumors is that it proves that as soon as there's something to leak from Nintendo it's probably going to happen to hell and back.

Once a product enters full scale production it becomes more and more likely for leaks to happen. With a late 2023 release still on the table, that would mean manufacturing should start win June or July. I believe Switch started full scale manufacturing in October 2016, the same month it was revealed. Nintendo could very well have the same plan to ensure they are out in front of any potential leaks.

Last edited:
Looking at the Nintendo direct archives, Nintendo has been consistently dropping major directs in September. What makes people think there's going to be something in June-July or August? No E3? I don't see how that's any relevant. They could have a smaller third-party direct in June/July and a while later/before, an indie direct. There would be plenty of announcements to fill the gap until we reach September.

Looking at the Nintendo direct archives, Nintendo has been consistently dropping major directs in September. What makes people think there's going to be something in June-July or August? No E3? I don't see how that's any relevant. They could have a smaller third-party direct in June/July and a while later/before, an indie direct. There would be plenty of announcements to fill the gap until we reach September.
I don’t think anyone is saying there won’t be?

Well... that's the thing. We don't know. We don't exactly expect one thanks to Nintendo having no first or second party games without a release (with the exception of Prime 4). It's fair to assume they have something, but I genuinely don't know.

I kinda expect a Twitter direct with Xenoblade 3 DLC and maybe even Prime: Echoes remaster, but other than that... I just... don't.

I don't know about a direct. But I'm thinking that an announcement or at least an acknowledgement of the next console in June is likely.

I don't know about a direct. But I'm thinking that an announcement or at least an acknowledgement of the next console in June is likely.
This seems likely on paper, but idk for certain. I don't know when people expect the Switch 2 to launch, but I'm going to assume that it'll get released probably in November. June is a good month to announce a new console if that's the case.

I believe someone said something about getting info before we reach 1000. Hope for that is dwindling.

Although, I suppose by saying this, I have further damned that hope. Oh poo.
I suggested the opposite. Sorry for jinxing it, guys 😓
Good God, were halfway to 900 pages! We might even get to 1000 before the succ is even announced.

Maybe a teaser in June, confirming Holiday release and September Direct is full reveal?

Unless June is full reveal and September Direct is dedicated to normal Switch games.

Then again, they can skip on the September Direct.

—————

Edit:
The same day as TOTK or vefore
So when's this investor meeting supposed to be, then? I forgor
💀

Maybe a teaser in June, confirming Holiday release and September Direct is full reveal?

Unless June is full reveal and September Direct is dedicated to normal Switch games.

Then again, they can skip on the September Direct.
If we use this as a basis, may I propose a thing that Nintendo will almost certainly do.
Nintendo Switch Presentation 2023. Do a full blowout for the new console in September and show off it's hardware power, new third parties, new games and, of course, why you should give a shit.

Granted this is assuming Nintendo wants the same showmanship as 2017 Nintendo, but who knows.

If we use this as a basis, may I propose a thing that Nintendo will almost certainly do.
Nintendo Switch Presentation 2023. Do a full blowout for the new console in September and show off it's hardware power, new third parties, new games and, of course, why you should give a shit.

Granted this is assuming Nintendo wants the same showmanship as 2017 Nintendo, but who knows.
Possible. They could partly unveil it June, announcr Holiday 2023 and full presentation is in August/September, where you can pre-order

It depends, if new hardware is coming then a lack of announced Switch titles for the second half is expected. If new hardware isn't coming this year and June comes and goes with no Nintendo Direct, or at least the announcement of some new first party titles for the second H2, then its a really weird way of showing your customers that you are committed to the platform. If Pikmin 4 were to release and Nintendo still hadn't announced any first party titles, that would mean zero dated first party titles for Switch. Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt that will happen. Right now all the attention is on Zelda TotK and that is the right move, but it wont be long and people will be wondering what is next for Nintendo, regardless if its new hardware or H2 software for Switch.

Possible. They could partly unveil it June, announcr Holiday 2023 and full presentation is in August/September, where you can pre-order
That seems like a decent timeline on paper, and it'd give companies a fair amount of time to make a proper showcase to reveal why people should care about our favourite Toaster getting a hardware boost, but we'll have to wait and see.

June seems like a good enough time to do all of that. It would also be worth revealing some filler-games between August and October. The Zelda remasters come to mind, because good god it's barren.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom