• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I think I’ve lost the thread, so I might not have been responding to what you were actually saying.

We know Zelda was delayed, because they announced it. My only assertion has been that further delays to make it sync with future hardware is not a slam dunk win, and so Zelda’s launch timing is not a clear indicator of REDACTED’s launch timing.
My point was that Totk available day one in 4K/60fps would have been a console seller for the next hardware without having to be specifically developed for Drak.e. So I was mainly responding to the argument that it wouldn't have been a good launch title anyway.

Drake can launch with Knack 3 and still be sold out for months, this time Nintendo doesn't even need a big launch lineup.

I feel not enough people understand that "Smashifying" Mario Kart or other Nintendo IPs would lead to sterilisation and IP fatigue of the series, to a point where it could cannibalise other titles. Nintendo isn't Disney or Marvel. They don't need a "Nintendo Cinematic Universe", and it should be resisted, no matter how much some people think they want it. Mario Kart isn't like Sonic&ASRT, in that it doesn't need the All-Stars to elevate it because the main mascot isn't "cool" enough anymore, and hasn't been for quite a while. It can have the occasional "special guest", as we've seen Animal Crossing, The Legend Of Zelda, and Splatoon, but everybody really doesn't need to be there. That's before we get to the vast untapped potential of the Marioverse to draw from for creative inspiration. I do wish such calls would stop.

why now in this thread some people are talking about this alleged new portable PlayStation when it has nothing to do with Nintendo.

Well, comparison point to Nintendo's handheld device (which the Switch and Drake is), so it'll be semi-related. Same reasons we also bring up handheld/pocket PCs and stuff throughout the thread, usually for specs and stuff and how it relates to what we could expect from the manufacturing stand point and target specs.

I feel not enough people understand that "Smashifying" Mario Kart or other Nintendo IPs would lead to sterilisation and IP fatigue of the series, to a point where it could cannibalise other titles. Nintendo isn't Disney or Marvel. They don't need a "Nintendo Cinematic Universe", and it should be resisted, no matter how much some people think they want it. Mario Kart isn't like Sonic&ASRT, in that it doesn't need the All-Stars to elevate it because the main mascot isn't "cool" enough anymore, and hasn't been for quite a while. It can have the occasional "special guest", as we've seen Animal Crossing, The Legend Of Zelda, and Splatoon, but everybody really doesn't need to be there. That's before we get to the vast untapped potential of the Marioverse to draw from for creative inspiration. I do wish such calls would stop.
But it's sort of already done that with the considerable crossover section. Mario Kart has come to, maybe not a natural endpoint, but certainly a place impossible to top. A new game has to be better than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. 8 Deluxe has 104 courses. That's not feasible. Personally I think the best approach would be a sort of spiritual successor to Diddy Long Racing, large open drivable segments, maybe an open world like Forza Horizon, lots of mobility, and rather than lots of characters, lots of variety in characters in terms of where they come from.

I can't see Mario Kart really... Going forward at all. It's finished. It's perfected. Move on with the same basic movement and make something new, with a wider cast of fewer characters from each franchise, new movement, and an open world.

Though this is just me dreaming out loud.

The Q Lite!
What's the new leak/rumour that will stop us talking about it?!

so after killing the vita and swearing off handhelds forever, guess sony wanted to put one more nail in the grave
Could have carved out its only little market if it was supported and a actual system

What's the new leak/rumour that will stop us talking about it?!

That there is no Vita 2 / PSP 2 on the level of ReDraketed to give Nintendo some competition. It's a remote play device, more likely to Wii U's Gamepad than a handheld.

Thus, it's uninteresting for the thread.

That there is no Vita 2 / PSP 2 on the level of ReDraketed to give Nintendo some competition. It's a remote play device, more likely to Wii U's Gamepad than a handheld.

Thus, it's uninteresting for the thread.
Oh, yeah, I thought we knew that 😅

I was hoping it was a new leak about the [REDACTED].

But it's sort of already done that with the considerable crossover section. Mario Kart has come to, maybe not a natural endpoint, but certainly a place impossible to top. A new game has to be better than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. 8 Deluxe has 104 courses. That's not feasible. Personally I think the best approach would be a sort of spiritual successor to Diddy Long Racing, large open drivable segments, maybe an open world like Forza Horizon, lots of mobility, and rather than lots of characters, lots of variety in characters in terms of where they come from.

I can't see Mario Kart really... Going forward at all. It's finished. It's perfected. Move on with the same basic movement and make something new, with a wider cast of fewer characters from each franchise, new movement, and an open world.

Though this is just me dreaming out loud.
There's no way they'll just stop making traditional MKs because 8 is the maximum they can reach. And if 8 really is the peak, then make 9 as a continuation of the concept, all tracks and mechanics from 8 + 12 brand new cups, graphical improvements, mechanics and characters.

Oh, yeah, I thought we knew that 😅

I was hoping it was a new leak about the [REDACTED].

Given i'm based in Germany, and as a married man with three kids, am not around here during european night times, i'd be the last person to be aware of a new leak. Not the first.

;D

But it's sort of already done that with the considerable crossover section. Mario Kart has come to, maybe not a natural endpoint, but certainly a place impossible to top. A new game has to be better than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. 8 Deluxe has 104 courses. That's not feasible.

I can't see Mario Kart really... Going forward at all. It's finished. It's perfected.
⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️
How about everything that's missing from MK8D, plus all of the usual new stuff?

Good battle mode, custom Grand Prix, track builder, new characters, alternate character costumes or colours, mission mode, reverse mode, more in-depth kart customisation, 8-player split-screen, new subtle mechanics that add depth to the gameplay, photo mode - the list goes on.

Never mind the viability of any of those, the point is that there's ways to improve and add upon MK8 in a sequel. It'll be hard to conceptualise that until you've seen the new game.

You'll find that all throughout recent history people have always said that they, "don't understand how [game series] can get better than this!", and then they just do.

Mario Kart isn't like Sonic&ASRT, in that it doesn't need the All-Stars to elevate it because the main mascot isn't "cool" enough anymore, and hasn't been for quite a while
Are you implying that Sonic isn't cool?
I'll make you eat those words! 😤

(joking)

I expect much less tracks and characters, but a fleshed out story mode with missions and boss battles.
That could work, but recent Mario Sports story campaigns are a little on the short side.
I don't think there would be much added value if we loose a ton of characters and courses.
I would pay $70 for the new game, play the campaign for a couple of hours, then go back to 8 Deluxe.

This is a terrifyingly creatively bankrupt concept and I don't even want to entertain it.
I would give Mario Kart the BotW treatment instead, reinvent the formula.
Open-world similar to Forza Horizon, travel (or teleport) to specific spots to start a course, story campaign, side-missions, bounty chases through the whole map, co-op missions, destructible environments and vehicles, etc ...
THAT would be appealing!

There's no way they'll just stop making traditional MKs because 8 is the maximum they can reach. And if 8 really is the peak, then make 9 as a continuation of the concept, all tracks and mechanics from 8 + 12 brand new cups, graphical improvements, mechanics and characters.
If the franchise is not reinvented, this would be the way to go, IMO.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe +DLC +DLC2 = Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Ultimate Definitive Edition Let's-a-go!

I feel like we might have derailed the conversation a bit here - remember when this was a Future Nintendo Hardware Speculation Thread?

Maybe this never would have happened if you actually gave us something to talk about, Nintendo. Can't believe you'd be so neglectful smh 😒
6fLEvas.png

Oh damn, just realized how close we are to 1000 pages.

I'm so proud of us.

Will Nintendo reward hitting page 1000 with an announcement or a tease?

Will this post accelerate the pacing of this thread, making it hit page 1000 faster?

We will find out soon.

Oh damn, just realized how close we are to 1000 pages.

I'm so proud of us.
I believe someone said something about getting info before we reach 1000. Hope for that is dwindling.

Although, I suppose by saying this, I have further damned that hope. Oh poo.

That could work, but recent Mario Sports story campaigns are a little on the short side.
I don't think there would be much added value if we loose a ton of characters and courses.
I would pay $70 for the new game, play the campaign for a couple of hours, then go back to 8 Deluxe.

Open-world similar to Forza Horizon, travel (or teleport) to specific spots to start a course, story campaign, side-missions, bounty chases through the whole map, co-op missions, destructible environments and vehicles, etc ...
THAT would be appealing!

If the franchise is not reinvented, this would be the way to go, IMO.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe +DLC +DLC2 = Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Ultimate Definitive Edition Let's-a-go!

I think the biggest update could be a Mario Kart Builder mode. Can you imagine infinite tracks? Make your own cup? They could even have a designer mode for the design of the cup! Would be really fun and really bring something new to the series. They could experiment with adding really whacky additions to the builder that might not otherwise make it to the series.

I feel like we might have derailed the conversation a bit here - remember when this was a Future Nintendo Hardware Speculation Thread?

Maybe this never would have happened if you actually gave us something to talk about, Nintendo. Can't believe you'd be so neglectful smh 😒
6fLEvas.png
You said it. Nintendo ain’t talking so the thread goes where it goes

The Playstation Wii Q.
lol nice.
And now imagine trying to sell this as the PS6.

To be fair, if it works really well, sold less than 150$ and marketed as some sort of ultimate controller (as the WiiU should have been) it could be successful enough.
Most people are using their 'handled' switch at home.

Last edited:
Before this place goes back to Nintendo, I just want to say, I don't think the Q Lite is a bad idea. Not at all, in fact. PS5 is swiftly becoming an ecosystem, and Sony wants people to stay in that ecosystem as much as possible. Whether that's room scale VR and social events with PSVR2, or just waking up and being able to grab your Q Lite and boot up PS5 from bed. You never have to stop playing PlayStation.

It's not about whether one accessory fails or succeeds, it's about building out different ways to play around a single device. As long as that single device and its library are successful, the ecosystem succeeds. Sony only has one platform, it's in their best interests to diversify it and make it appeal to as many people as possible, keep people using it, keep people spending. Nintendo did this by making their console portable. Sony is determined to stay a home console but wants the benefits of flexibility. This allows a portion of that. Plus, since it works over any network and not just a signal put out by the console like Wii U, it should work in any room in the house, or even abroad, in theory.

When discussing the history of releasing consoles it might be best to define different terms:

Announce - I think should mean when a company actually says they are actively working on developing and releasing a next gen device. (Like when Nintendo first announced and discussed the NX).

Reveal - I think this is when a company first shows off the device and exposes a little bit about what the product is all about (like the October 2016 Switch reveal video).

Helpful?

Before this place goes back to Nintendo, I just want to say, I don't think the Q Lite is a bad idea. Not at all, in fact. PS5 is swiftly becoming an ecosystem, and Sony wants people to stay in that ecosystem as much as possible. Whether that's room scale VR and social events with PSVR2, or just waking up and being able to grab your Q Lite and boot up PS5 from bed. You never have to stop playing PlayStation.

It's not about whether one accessory fails or succeeds, it's about building out different ways to play around a single device. As long as that single device and its library are successful, the ecosystem succeeds. Sony only has one platform, it's in their best interests to diversify it and make it appeal to as many people as possible, keep people using it, keep people spending. Nintendo did this by making their console portable. Sony is determined to stay a home console but wants the benefits of flexibility. This allows a portion of that. Plus, since it works over any network and not just a signal put out by the console like Wii U, it should work in any room in the house, or even abroad, in theory.
Word. And if you’re the kine of gamer that doesn’t have a TV in your own, you can always leave the PS5 in the big TV in the living room, and if you wanna play on your bed, turn the Q on and game before falling asleep.

I think also, as much as I dislike cloud gaming, it's the best way for Sony to implement a handheld given their current branding and their situation. They already have the PSVR2 as their secondary project, which is underperforming. If I were a shareholder, I'd be calling for Jim Ryan's or whoever's head for doing another project and dividing up development resources, especially in a segment where they've historically made poor decisions, dropped support early, and generally been outperformed. A proper handheld is another SOC and by extension another target device for development. A cloud device just streams PS5 games. Shrug.

Word. And if you’re the kine of gamer that doesn’t have a TV in your own, you can always leave the PS5 in the big TV in the living room, and if you wanna play on your bed, turn the Q on and game before falling asleep.
Hahah, yeah, when I was living with my parents I left my Xbox and Switch Dock in the living room, and played tabletop in my room or played Xbox remote play on my laptop. A lot of people use their Switch inside their own home or in places with strong network connections like work or university, and the Q Lite fits perfectly into many of these people's lives, especially if they already have a PS5.

When discussing the history of releasing consoles it might be best to define different terms:

Announce - I think should mean when a company actually says they are actively working on developing and releasing a next gen device. (Like when Nintendo first announced and discussed the NX).

Reveal - I think this is when a company first shows off the device and exposes a little bit about what the product is all about (like the October 2016 Switch reveal video).

Helpful?
No 👍

Nintendo has said repeatedly they're working on new hardware but have nothing to announce. Because they are always working on new hardware. An announcement generally also has a release date and a name for the device.

I don't think Bowser's Fury is literally a fleshed-out prototype, but I do think it was made as a way to test the water for what might come next for 3D Mario.

Judging purely by the game's performance, I'd say that the decision to have it be a load of separate islands spaced out on a flat plane was not just a stylistic one. I don't think the Switch has the horsepower to deliver the full breadth of what Bowser's Fury could be, so they gave us a reserved tease, giving us a general idea as to what to expect for the next full 3D Mario game.

I'm not ruling that out, and it seems to be a common opinion, but it seems a bit strange to me that they would release what's effectively a prototype for their next 3D Mario before releasing the game itself. If the next 3D Mario resembles Bowser's Fury, then when it's revealed, instead of people saying "Wow, this is a completely new concept for a Mario game!", they'll be saying "Hey, that looks a lot like that Bowser's Fury mode they released a couple of years ago". They would be reducing the impact of their next game, potentially a flagship launch title for a next generation console, without gaining that much (all their other Wii U ports did just fine with much less new content).

That's not to say I don't expect that the next 3D Mario might lean more in the open-world direction. I could definitely see Nintendo, after the success of BoTW, and the improved reception of Odyssey over the more linear 3D World, thinking that a more open world 3D Mario game might be a good way to go and prototyping a few different options of how they could achieve that. Island-hopping and Bowser raining down fireballs occasionally could have been options Nintendo considered, and didn't think would work for a full scale game, but realised could be spun off into a smaller game included with 3D World. Presumably they would have had other, better ideas for integrating open world concepts into a 3D Mario which would be taken forward to a full game.

As an aside, I have always been hesitant of the idea of an open world 3D platformer. One of the key design considerations in an open world game is that it should be relatively quick and easy to get from one area of the map to another. This usually manifests as the ability to ride a horse (as in BoTW) or a vehicle of some kind. However in a 3D platformer the entire point of the game is that traversing the environment is interesting, so making the game world easy to traverse runs counter to that. Bowser's Fury tried to solve this by breaking the game world up into islands, and using Plessie to quickly navigate between them, however that leaves us with more of a Wind Waker than a Breath of the Wild. I'm a huge fan of the Wind Waker, but it's really a set of disconnected environments rather than an open world.

Another design consideration in open world games is making areas you've already visited interesting. BoTW does this later in the game by adding Yigas who can spawn almost anywhere, meaning even in beginner areas you can find enemies who are challenging in the late game. I feel as if the Fury part of Bowser's Fury is an attempt to deal with this, adding dynamic challenges even to areas the player has encountered before. I can see how this would get tiring in a full scale game, though.

Personally I've struggled to come up with solutions for these, particularly making the game interesting to traverse on a micro level (ie be a good platformer) while being relatively easy to traverse on a macro level (ie be a good open world game). You could just slap a bunch of roads over the map and give Mario a kart, but I'm sure are there are better options. Flying has been a common feature of Mario games in the past, so I wonder if they could give Mario a limited ability to fly, but somehow restrict it to areas that the player has already completed. In any case, Nintendo has a lot of people who are much better videogame designers than I am, so they can surely think of many solutions I can't, and if they do release an open world 3D Mario game I'm sure it's because they've found a way to make it work.

There was (and iirc you can still see it) the Isle Delfino is literally on the globe map in Odyssey and it was featured even on one of the japanese promo materials closer to launch, but that was probably just a DLC content that was scrapped.

The story with EPD Tokyo is not that simple as it seems but I for one also think that Bowser's Fury is just prototype that was turned into side thing. The team is also apparently switching to universal LunchPack engine, working also on 2D Project (confirmed via hirings), moved into different offices in 2020 and last but not least about full development on 3D Mario, they were hiring for 3D project in October 2019, very likely implying that was the time the game could begun development at earliest (altough hirings are not really good example for this), but it was at least sometime in 2019.

While Odyssey begun development right after 3D World in 2013 and was always intended for Switch, it's likely that the first stages of the game were designed around Wii U specs. They confirmed in 2014 interview that new Mario is already developing but they didn't say on which hardware and assuming they got Switch devkits in 2015 at most, they moved their Wii U work over to Switch (but they knew it won't release on Wii U from the beginning). The same situation probably happened here, if it's not cross gen.

Yeah, I'm sure EPD Tokyo are and have been working on other games as well. I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see them take over the 2D Mario games too. October 2019 is actually an interesting time point for them to be hiring for a 3D project if it is Mario, because from what we know it's around that time that Nintendo and Nvidia started work on T239.

And if you're the kind of gamer that has poor internet, or lives in a country with poor internet, get fvcked. :)

Hahah, yeah, when I was living with my parents I left my Xbox and Switch Dock in the living room, and played tabletop in my room or played Xbox remote play on my laptop. A lot of people use their Switch inside their own home or in places with strong network connections like work or university, and the Q Lite fits perfectly into many of these people's lives, especially if they already have a PS5.
Plus the reason Nintendo made the Lite was to increase the amount of Switches in a household. This could he Sony’s version of that strategy: artificially increase the amount of PS5s in a household by making a PS5-ish product.

No 👍

Nintendo has said repeatedly they're working on new hardware but have nothing to announce. Because they are always working on new hardware. An announcement generally also has a release date and a name for the device.
Ok that’s fine, there’s just a lot of disagreements on the history of announcements, reveals, and launches of consoles.

What do you call it when they share a code name and that they’re actively working towards a launch like the NX or Revolution? They didn’t reveal everything: like the hooks, what it looked like, a release date, or it’s name. What do you call that kind of announcement?

Some people say Switch was announced in October 2016 and some say it was announced earlier since Nintendo started sharing about it a bit under the code name NX.

Some people seem to think they’ll make a brief mention of their plans for Switch 2 in a fiscal report this summer and some people seem to think they’ll actually reveal and start full on marketing it.

I thought clarifying those two different types of corporate information sharing could be helpful to the discussion. But if no one thinks so then ok…

I might be completely misunderstanding things here, but I thought this Sony device requires a constant online connection.
We don't know if it does or doesn't, but streaming from your PS5 uses your local network if it can, so a strong internet connection is not required.

I think people need to understand that the Wii U, the path to the Switch and the Switch itself are unprecedented eras for Nintendo:
• The Wii U did so bad, that when Nintendo announced their partnership with DeNA, they HAD to confirm they weren’t leaving the hardware market by revealing they were working in their next gen product: the NX

• The Switch was doing so good (and Pandemic operational hurdles) that they repurposed their Switch Pro into a light refresh to extend the Switch’s life for probably two more years

We can’t use traditional reasoning for these two consoles because they don’t fall under traditional circumstances.

I doubt Nintendo is gonna tease the Switch 2 in their investors meeting. Nintendo didn’t care to damage the Wii U because they declared it dead. The Switch is more than alive. I think they’ll reveal the Switch 2 this June, make a Pikmin Direct in July and make a Switch 2 Direct in August

According to the Tom Henderson report, it does require a constant internet connection.
That would be extremely odd, but it wouldn't need anything like the connection actual streaming from another location takes.

I'm not ruling that out, and it seems to be a common opinion, but it seems a bit strange to me that they would release what's effectively a prototype for their next 3D Mario before releasing the game itself. If the next 3D Mario resembles Bowser's Fury, then when it's revealed, instead of people saying "Wow, this is a completely new concept for a Mario game!", they'll be saying "Hey, that looks a lot like that Bowser's Fury mode they released a couple of years ago". They would be reducing the impact of their next game, potentially a flagship launch title for a next generation console, without gaining that much (all their other Wii U ports did just fine with much less new content).

That's not to say I don't expect that the next 3D Mario might lean more in the open-world direction. I could definitely see Nintendo, after the success of BoTW, and the improved reception of Odyssey over the more linear 3D World, thinking that a more open world 3D Mario game might be a good way to go and prototyping a few different options of how they could achieve that. Island-hopping and Bowser raining down fireballs occasionally could have been options Nintendo considered, and didn't think would work for a full scale game, but realised could be spun off into a smaller game included with 3D World. Presumably they would have had other, better ideas for integrating open world concepts into a 3D Mario which would be taken forward to a full game.

As an aside, I have always been hesitant of the idea of an open world 3D platformer. One of the key design considerations in an open world game is that it should be relatively quick and easy to get from one area of the map to another. This usually manifests as the ability to ride a horse (as in BoTW) or a vehicle of some kind. However in a 3D platformer the entire point of the game is that traversing the environment is interesting, so making the game world easy to traverse runs counter to that. Bowser's Fury tried to solve this by breaking the game world up into islands, and using Plessie to quickly navigate between them, however that leaves us with more of a Wind Waker than a Breath of the Wild. I'm a huge fan of the Wind Waker, but it's really a set of disconnected environments rather than an open world.

Another design consideration in open world games is making areas you've already visited interesting. BoTW does this later in the game by adding Yigas who can spawn almost anywhere, meaning even in beginner areas you can find enemies who are challenging in the late game. I feel as if the Fury part of Bowser's Fury is an attempt to deal with this, adding dynamic challenges even to areas the player has encountered before. I can see how this would get tiring in a full scale game, though.

Personally I've struggled to come up with solutions for these, particularly making the game interesting to traverse on a micro level (ie be a good platformer) while being relatively easy to traverse on a macro level (ie be a good open world game). You could just slap a bunch of roads over the map and give Mario a kart, but I'm sure are there are better options. Flying has been a common feature of Mario games in the past, so I wonder if they could give Mario a limited ability to fly, but somehow restrict it to areas that the player has already completed. In any case, Nintendo has a lot of people who are much better videogame designers than I am, so they can surely think of many solutions I can't, and if they do release an open world 3D Mario game I'm sure it's because they've found a way to make it work.

Yeah, I'm sure EPD Tokyo are and have been working on other games as well. I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see them take over the 2D Mario games too. October 2019 is actually an interesting time point for them to be hiring for a 3D project if it is Mario, because from what we know it's around that time that Nintendo and Nvidia started work on T239.
I don't think the next 3D Mario game will really be too resemblant of Bowser's Fury - moreso that it will take its open and free style of gameplay.

I share your concern somewhat. I think an open-world 3D platformer is conceptually flawed, unless you just so happen to have a character that moves really fast ;).

I think, instead of "open-world" in the sense that "Mario is rolling through a grassy field for 15 minutes, omg Nintendo hire this man", it would essentially just be a load of levels all compiled into one, with various points of interconnection. I see no reason why the 'teleport to checkpoint' system couldn't just return from Odyssey, as a way to solve the problem of tedious traversal. Basically what I am envisioning is, rather than having a massive, empty world to explore, they instead provide a smaller, yet far more dense world. Perhaps it could be a collection of open, explorative levels connected via linear platforming sections.

I don't really know exactly what it could be, but I just can't shake the idea of a super dense sandbox of constant 3D platforming action, where everything is seamlessly sewn together - constantly opening up new ways to flow back and forth between old areas, new areas, and newly accessible parts of old areas. A world that develops as you progress, bringing forth new challenges as the game goes on. A game that applies that freedom found in Mario 64, but across the whole game instead of a segmented world.

Or maybe it'll just be 3D World 2, who knows. It'll be fun, though.

THAT would be appealing!

That's what I meant by fleshed out story mode, as I've explained in a previous post. MK8DX reached the pinnacle of what classic Mario Kart can be and Nintendo has the difficult task to reinvent a new formula. Diddy Kong racing gave a blueprint 25 years ago; with modern tools and influences, Nintendo can expand on that and won't need to resort to cheap (in my opinion) approaches such as more and more content/tracks/characters.

I don't think the next 3D Mario game will really be too resemblant of Bowser's Fury - moreso that it will take its open and free style of gameplay.

I share your concern somewhat. I think an open-world 3D platformer is conceptually flawed, unless you just so happen to have a character that moves really fast ;).

I think, instead of "open-world" in the sense that "Mario is rolling through a grassy field for 15 minutes, omg Nintendo hire this man", it would essentially just be a load of levels all compiled into one, with various points of interconnection. I see no reason why the 'teleport to checkpoint' system couldn't just return from Odyssey, as a way to solve the problem of tedious traversal. Basically what I am envisioning is, rather than having a massive, empty world to explore, they instead provide a smaller, yet far more dense world. Perhaps it could be a collection of open, explorative levels connected via linear platforming sections.

I don't really know exactly what it could be, but I just can't shake the idea of a super dense sandbox of constant 3D platforming action, where everything is seamlessly sewn together - constantly opening up new ways to flow back and forth between old areas, new areas, and newly accessible parts of old areas. A world that develops as you progress, bringing forth new challenges as the game goes on. A game that applies that freedom found in Mario 64, but across the whole game instead of a segmented world.

Or maybe it'll just be 3D World 2, who knows. It'll be fun, though.
So, more open-world Oddyssey?

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom