• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Insider Gaming - Sony’s next Playstation handheld (codenamed Q Lite, requires the PS5, used with Remote Play)

mazi

picross pundit
Following days of speculation, Insider Gaming can report that there’s a new PlayStation Handheld in development.

Codenamed the Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware that aims to be yet another piece of hardware that requires the PlayStation 5. Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5.
Sporting adaptive streaming up to 1080p and 60FPS, the new device will require constant connectivity to the internet.

As for the console’s physical features, early prototypes show the console will look a lot like a PlayStation 5 controller, but with a massive 8-inch LCD touchscreen in the center. The device sports adaptive triggers for haptic feedback and will include what you would come to expect from a handheld – Volume buttons, speakers, an audio input jack, etc.

edit: more hardware in the works
As previously mentioned by industry insider Jeff Grubb, Sony is planning to announce its “second phase of the PS5”, which was in reference to its future game slate. Ironically though, this “second phase” is very much true for Sony’s hardware offerings, with the new detachable disc drive PlayStation 5, Project Nomad (wireless earphones), Project Voyager (wireless headset), and Q Lite (handheld) all scheduled to release within a very short period. It’s understood that the PlayStation 5 Pro is aiming for a holiday 2024 release.

But why? I believe you can normally stream PS5 games into your Android device via Remote Play and can use Dualsense.

"Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is in its QA phase and is scheduled to release before the PlayStation 5 Pro and after the Detachable Disc Drive PS5. "

I believe the Switch Pro is in its QA phase and is scheduled to be released before the Switch 2 and after Metroid Prime 4 releases.

Companion device to the PS5? Dead on arrival.

I would actually be very interested, as was for the remote play for Vita
I really use the Switch A LOT in handheld mode at home, due to lifestyle behaviours (aka 3 kids)

of course...if a normal pad cost 80€, this "streaming-pad-with-8inchesscreen" will probably cost 250€
so, considering that a PS5 console costs 550€, that would mean spend 800€ to have an indoor-only more powerful switch without nintendo first party games

so yeah, DoA (as the PSVR2)

at the same time, exactly looking at the PSVR2, and at all the new rumored high-end accessories, I find this rumor totally reliable

early prototypes show the console will look a lot like a PlayStation 5 controller, but with a massive 8-inch LCD touchscreen in the center. The device sports adaptive triggers for haptic feedback and will include what you would come to expect from a handheld – Volume buttons, speakers, an audio input jack, etc.
So basically like their patent from 2017

sony-patent-1487345867104_610w.jpg

or even 2022

sony-playstation-patent.jpg

But 8" isn't really a handheld, that thing will be huge.

Kinda the same energy here. "In 2023, Sony creates a goddamn Gamepad."

Wondering if it has an on built-in UI, if you're to use it while outside/travelling, you gotta have some option to log into WiFi hotspots and so on.

I guess it's nice for someone to test the waters to see if there's a market for a streaming device, (again, rip stadia), but I doubt there is.

Making you have to own another entire console as the only (?) Option instead of allowing you to do both that and stream from a dedicated service is ... Bold.

I mean, the ps vita could already do this for the ps4 and that hardware died bloody fast, and it had a lot more going for it than a streaming only device.

Sony releasing in the same year a 600$ non-autonomous VR headset and a Wii U Gamepad makes me think that maybe they should hire some people to do market analysis for them

Last edited:
Wait... that doesn't sound enticing at all. Always online? Requires a PS5? What? I was sort of interested in a Sony handheld, too. But not anymore

Wait... that doesn't sound enticing at all. Always online? Requires a PS5? What? I was sort of interested in a Sony handheld, too. But not anymore

Don't think of it as a handheld, think of it as a Wii U like Gamepad that also works far away from the console. But that's basically the only difference.

Yeah, I don't see it. And this is coming from someone who bought a Vita mainly for remote play.

It's not just the fact that it'd be a niche device, it's that they're also pretty late to the game. The Logitech G Cloud goes on sale for under $300, and you can also use it to stream games from services other than PlayStation, some of which don't require additional hardware. They'd have to price this aggresively to make much sense, and even then, there's no shortage of devices that can do this decently enough for as low as $120 or so. Not to mention, y'know, phones.

With everything in the handheld scene that is available right now and in the future and with such steep prerequisites I doubt this will ever become succesful, this is solely for people who have an attachment to the Sony Playstation brand and are attached to the looks and feels of the Psp.

Last edited:
The only way this would work is if they can sell the handheld unit for a very cheap price. Considering I doubt they'll do that, this thing seems like a bad idea.

Finally, a combination of two of the greatest successes in recent gaming history: the Wii U and Stadia!

I love how internet was convinced it was a Vita 2 🤣🤣.

What accesory/companion thing has sony not sold yet? Socks?Snacks?

It would be something that would push me over to get a PS5 (if it has long range). It all depends on Switch 2. If Switch 2 is awesome and comes relatively soon, then I probably can live without a PS5 for the rest of the generation.

For whom was this product designed for? It only seems good for Remote Play and that seems incredibly niche. The 8-inch screen will make it unwieldy to hold. And the always online requirement makes sure you can’t even use it “on the go” as it were.

This Q Lite can only means one thing: Sony finally noticed the greatness of Persona Q and they want Q3 on the PS5 so much they're adding touchscreen to the system to meet Atlus requirements.

I don’t understand the point of this. Why is this needed when tablets and phones already exist? I use my galaxy tablet for my Xbox. And if/when I get a PlayStation I’d just do the same. What advantages would this device have over my tablet? Just the built in controller?

Sony adopting the mid 90s Sega approach and going for several expensive hardware add ons in a short space of time isn't what I was expecting.

But hey if it leads to a cult classic JRPG as good as Panzer Dragoon Saga then more power to them!

When you consider that the basic Dualsense costs $70, add screen to it as well as battery and other things, we are at like $200 at minimum. Not really appealing.

Typical Sony. Follow what Nintendo is doing but do it half-assed and with weird strings attached.

This thing is dead on arrival unless it’s dirt cheap and there’s a significantly cheaper PS5 launching alongside it.

Sigh…this is not the pain I was hoping for Sony to bring. Switch needs real competition man, not these pretenders to its throne.

Clony hits again.
Jokes aside, this is what xbox already does for years now without the need of a deticated hw.
What are they even thinking if this is true?

While they are copying the WiiU, they should make sure to look at the GameCube as well and give the PS5 a handle so you can carry it around alongside your Gamepad.

While they are copying the WiiU, they should make sure to look at the GameCube as well and give the PS5 a handle so you can carry it around alongside your Gamepad.

Man, you're literally asking for Sony Fit Adventure. Carrying the PS5 for a longer time is work-out!

Assuming this is real, it's either going to be 150/200 € with cheap materials and frail triggers or +300 € with premium materials. Whatever the case is, it's going to be undeservedly expensive.

I just hope it doesn't become the very best idea ever after how much shit the Wii U gamepad got.

Sounds like a terrible idea. I'm sure it will work for some folks, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the handheld.

I suppose this way they're treating it as an accessory though and likely won't be manufacturing a ton.

Do Sony really not have PS5-in-the-cloud? Huh.

They probably should figure that out before trying to sell this tbh.

Back
Top Bottom