• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Insider Gaming - Sony’s next Playstation handheld (codenamed Q Lite, requires the PS5, used with Remote Play)

SNJu2A2.png

I have no idea if this would have any sort of mass appeal lol but as a lifestyle accessory it would suit me perfectly. I don't play on the go at all but I do use my switch in handheld mode almost every evening so I can sit with my partner and watch tv, not be antisocial etc. The evening is really my prime time to make some progress in a game each day so it does make getting through games on other platforms more difficult, particularly if we're talking about lengthy rpgs. Depending on the price, I would definitely consider buying something like this for both the ps5 and xbox.

Really depends upon the price. If this is $250 for a premium ps5 remote streaming option it'll be uber niche. If they can loss lead this down to like $100 I could see myself getting one just for a premium ps5 remote experience while watching tv.

Companion device to the PS5? Dead on arrival.
Exactly. Like, why even bother when the PS5 hasn't even reached a well stablished user base yet? at least get to ~70-80mi units first. Let alone the fact that streaming to a smartphone from your PS5 is already a thing.
The PSVR2 on the other hand I can totally get behind. The sooner the release the better for developers to start looking at the platform to build their games on.

I don't know what's going on with Sony really. Like, we just saw a considerably smaller company (Valve) with no experience on the console market whatsoever release pretty compelling hardware (the steam deck) for a competitive price.

Why couldn't Sony just release a digital-only "PSP2" (forget the vita) with steam-deck specs that would run PS4 titles? the architecture is the same (64bit AMD x86), the only thing they would need to do really is assign a team to adapt shaders from the PS4 to run on the new hardware, test and deploy those ports with the proper settings already baked into the title.

Unlike the vita, a PSP2 with your PS4/PS5 library on the go at ~350-400$ would potentially be a success in a world where not everyone wants to deal with the intricacies of the steam deck's software.

I have no idea if this would have any sort of mass appeal lol but as a lifestyle accessory it would suit me perfectly. I don't play on the go at all but I do use my switch in handheld mode almost every evening so I can sit with my partner and watch tv, not be antisocial etc. The evening is really my prime time to make some progress in a game each day so it does make getting through games on other platforms more difficult, particularly if we're talking about lengthy rpgs. Depending on the price, I would definitely consider buying something like this for both the ps5 and xbox.
The thing is though, this already exists. You can use your phone, or a tablet and a dualshock 5.

The thing is though, this already exists. You can use your phone, or a tablet and a dualshock 5.

Sony saw the TotK Aonuma gameplay early and thought "Why don't we fuse your phone, or tablet and the dualsense into one, totally unnecessary device?!".

Oh for sure, I've tried a few times with my tablet even but trying to sit up on the bed or something and have my tablet somewhere comfy and the dualsense is just not as nice as an integrated unit. You're totally correct though, the actual mass market appeal of this device is not super up there haha it's a niche inside of one. There's still a part of me though that really responds to this though haha

Would have been interested in a PS4P, but this... who is this for?

Sony's engineers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they never stopped to ask if they should. At least the Q lite won't eat people.

This Q Lite can only means one thing: Sony finally noticed the greatness of Persona Q and they want Q3 on the PS5 so much they're adding touchscreen to the system to meet Atlus requirements.
You'd think that after the last decade in the US the letter Q would be toxic AF for branding purposes

What's the point of this?

If you're going to make this a Cloud Only device, why not just make a much cheaper clip-on controller device for my phone that I already own instead?

Would have been interested in a PS4P, but this... who is this for?

Sony's engineers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they never stopped to ask if they should. At least the Q lite won't eat people.
I mean, they haven't announced it officially yet, maybe it can eat people.

Otherwise this is basically to play the PS5 while in the bathroom or using the TV.

So, the more I think about it, depending on how much this is priced at, I could be interested.

I play mostly handhelds these days, if I could have a similar option I have with Switch where in I can play all my PS4/5 games on the TV or on this other device and it runs flawlessly then I could be tempted. Again, price factors massively, surely something like this could be priced around £150-200 max? If it’s just a streaming device?

If they can loss lead this down to like $100 I could see myself getting one just for a premium ps5 remote experience while watching tv.
This is the only angle I could see for using this thing. I already use my phone and a backbone controller for both playstation and xbox remote play, and when you have a solid connection, it works great. The biggest issue is screen size and resolution; a six inch phone screen just isn't big enough for most games. If this device had a larger screen and like, better buttons I guess (the backbone is fine and all, but it feels cheap compared to actual PS5 and Xbox controllers), and it was a reasonable price, I could see myself going for it.

This is the only angle I could see for using this thing. I already use my phone and a backbone controller for both playstation and xbox remote play, and when you have a solid connection, it works great. The biggest issue is screen size and resolution; a six inch phone screen just isn't big enough for most games. If this device had a larger screen and like, better buttons I guess (the backbone is fine and all, but it feels cheap compared to actual PS5 and Xbox controllers), and it was a reasonable price, I could see myself going for it.

The original model Switch's screen is 6.2 inches... (Coincidentally, the exact same size as the Wii U Gamepad's screen!)

I sleep.

PS5 Pro is the most interesting of the latest batch of Sony hardware rumors to me (as a non-PS5 owner). I just hope it’s not fugly like the current PS5 model.

The original model Switch's screen is 6.2 inches... (Coincidentally, the exact same size as the Wii U Gamepad's screen!)
i guess the issue is resolution and aspect ratio then. Phones aren't 16:9.

I sleep.

PS5 Pro is the most interesting of the latest batch of Sony hardware rumors to me (as a non-PS5 owner). I just hope it’s not fugly like the current PS5 model.

Looks at PS4 Pro and launch PS4

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell....

I sleep.

YVQXygO.jpg

Hooooooh man, wait until they find out how the Wii U party ended.
"No, no, no, you see, it makes sense! The Wii sold like gangbusters and then Nintendo launched an accessory for it, the Wii U. So now we..."

"THE FUCK YOU MEAN THE WII U WASN'T AN ACCESSORY!!??"

I feel like the more Jeff and Tom clarified about the details of this device the more it’s not as interesting imo. Was really excited for a new handheld for Sony, especially with it hopefully taking some market share away from Nintendo in the portable space. That happening now if these rumors are true tho lol.

"No, no, no, you see, it makes sense! The Wii sold like gangbusters and then Nintendo launched an accessory for it, the Wii U. So now we..."

"THE FUCK YOU MEAN THE WII U WASN'T AN ACCESSORY!!??"

Should've listened to Reggie: "It's not the same name, it's not the same console."

No oled display means no interest from me. Though even if it did have an oled display I’m not sure I’d care about it anyway.

For the use case of "sitting at home and freeing up the TV," it would make more sense to actually copy the GamePad and stream directly from the console instead of passing through a router. This thing sounds like a solution in search of a problem

really going all out for trying to keep engagement purely on Sony games/stuff.

Every competition is just trying to do that anyways. Let’s see how it plays out

Sony may have considered it at some point, like I sometimes consider the idea of living in a camper van. That doesn't make it a reality, nor a smart move.
I'm voting bullshit on this rumor.

So it’s a new Sony handheld but I can only play it at home and it requires me to have a PS5 first. Think I’ll stick with the Vita.

I feel like the more Jeff and Tom clarified about the details of this device the more it’s not as interesting imo. Was really excited for a new handheld for Sony, especially with it hopefully taking some market share away from Nintendo in the portable space. That happening now if these rumors are true tho lol.

What market share, even before the details, was it gonna take away? Cause Sony would have to care enough about the market to do that & they have repeatedly shown they haven’t.

This type of thing doesn't surprise me from them.

Curious to see how they market it in the future.

With today's mobile chip tech it should be possible to shrink the PS4 down to handheld size* so I can play Bloodborne on the go, but they just could not be arsed.

*Citation needed.

If Remove Play was not already available on Vita/Android this would at least make some sense.
Vita doesn’t support PS5 remote play, but I get what you’re saying.

I’m also not sure why anyone would expect Sony to jump back into the handheld market right now. PlayStation from 2012 is a totally different company from what they are in 2023, and they’re never going to get back the niche RPGs that made the Vita modest success in the JP market.

Sony may have considered it at some point, like I sometimes consider the idea of living in a camper van. That doesn't make it a reality, nor a smart move.
I'm voting bullshit on this rumor.
they have patents showing devices. and considering they endorsed Backbone, it's on the tip of their tongues. an official device to squeeze that money themselves isn't the most ridiculous idea

With today's mobile chip tech it should be possible to shrink the PS4 down to handheld size* so I can play Bloodborne on the go, but they just could not be arsed.

*Citation needed.
citation: steam deck. hell, Adrenos and Malis are theoretically at that level. we since been at that level, the issue is that all these devices lack the bespoke development of a console

If it’s priced well (like 129,99) I would buy it.
It’s just a controller with a huge screen.
Yeah, it sounds like an accessory. Not a console. It'd probably be pretty niche but I'm sure it'd be interesting to some so long as it isn't expensive, which I imagine it wouldn't be since it's a remote play device.

If it's really gonna be $300 or more at that point you should just buy a steam deck or an ayn odin or any of the other premium devices on the market that can do streaming and offline emulation gameplay.

they have patents showing devices. and considering they endorsed Backbone, it's on the tip of their tongues. an official device to squeeze that money themselves isn't the most ridiculous idea.

I have patents for things that will never see the light of the day.

What I'm saying is that of course, they possibly considered making such device. I would be surprised if Microsoft or even Nintendo didn't; few years back, it looked like the low hanging fruit. But I'm extremely doubtful that Sony would take the risk of hurting their playstation brand with another portable device failure.
We'll see, maybe they do have delusional executives who think that there's a marker for cloud devices in an age where everyone carries 6+ inches smartphone in their pocket.

I mean Sony charged 550 for a VR accessory that costs probably twice as much to make, so I don't imagine they would do anything much different for what is basically a controller with a screen on it.

This just feels like a $300 purchase if it ever comes out. Don’t know how big the market is for PS5 remote play but I guess we’ll see.

I dabble with remote play a lot on my phone. It's not reliable enough at home to play precise action games and it's definitely not stable enough to do so away from home.

What I like about remote play on my phone is that it's easy to just open the app and play a slower jrpg (like ff78/9 or chrono cross, or even DQXI) with touch controls and its serviceable. Yes it lags, but I'm just getting quick session in on my cell phone to kill time for a bit. That's a decent gaming experience considering I always have my phone on me.

I DO NOT see how a dedicated device that will cost hundreds of dollars makes any sense when this is something's phones will already do better, why carry another device around just for that?

Not sure if this is the best investment or market for Sony to get in to.

I have patents for things that will never see the light of the day.

What I'm saying is that of course, they possibly considered making such device. I would be surprised if Microsoft or even Nintendo didn't; few years back, it looked like the low hanging fruit. But I'm extremely doubtful that Sony would take the risk of hurting their playstation brand with another portable device failure.
We'll see, maybe they do have delusional executives who think that there's a marker for cloud devices in an age where everyone carries 6+ inches smartphone in their pocket.
that's the benefit of the device being what it is. if it fails, no one gives a shit. it's a remote play device first so it's meant to serve a small niche, not sell millions of units.

Back
Top Bottom