• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Insider Gaming - Sony’s next Playstation handheld (codenamed Q Lite, requires the PS5, used with Remote Play)

that's the benefit of the device being what it is. if it fails, no one gives a shit. it's a remote play device first so it's meant to serve a small niche, not sell millions of units.

Wouldn't that indirectly damage the PlayStation brand, which is otherwise doing good right now?

As it's being presented right now, this thing sounds kinda useless...?

A cloud based handeld would make a bit of sense, but according to this report it doesn't even support that natively.

That sounds extremely dumb given that Gamepass Cloud works without an Xbox, you only need your phone.

I feel like the more Jeff and Tom clarified about the details of this device the more it’s not as interesting imo. Was really excited for a new handheld for Sony, especially with it hopefully taking some market share away from Nintendo in the portable space. That happening now if these rumors are true tho lol.

Knowing Sony's past history with handhelds even if this was a traditional handheld they would have botched it somehow and abandon it to the wolves a year later.

I will always be disappointed with how badly Sony fumbled the Vita and it's the reason why I'm done with the Playstation platform.

Sounds interesting. Limiting. Maybe if it's priced correctly it'll be a worthwhile thing, but having to own a PS5 to use it is the real killer here.

I can't imagine this thing doing well if it's above $200. Especially on top of the bloody expensive as is PS5.

Snark aside, this is probably their best (in-house) option of offering a dedicated Switch-like experience without compromising on their vision for games (higher end, cinematic) and splitting resources without really being able to in today's game development landscape. It's not totally stupid from that perspective, but still screams "R&D money not too well spent" in my eyes.

Same thing I think when I hear about Xbox wanting to make a streaming stick: Why go to all the trouble when there are already popular devices that do that and more?

On the one hand, this would mean Sony has recognized that they've cultivated a very anti-handheld culture among their developers. However, this seems like it would have quite the niche audience.

If Sony are basically making a Wii U gamepad, then what mini games would people like to see in their inevitable release of Sonyland?

Some ideas:

- Joel and Ellie's Clicker Chase: the player with the gamepad has to navigate a maze, avoiding the other players on the TV all playing as hungry Clickers

- Kratos Karting

- Aloy's Bow Training

Sony shipping a more expensive Steam Deck that requires an online connection, a PS5, and can only play PS5 games is somehow a worse idea than the PSVR2. And the Vita bombed despite being good hardware.

Steam Deck has everyone acting out of character.
This has little to nothing to do with Steam Deck lol (and Steam Deck's own influence on the industry is limited, the bulk of the resurgence portables have been seeing is attributable to the Switch itself)

This won't sell much. Cloud play solutions, while nice as an additive feature to the current platform subscriptions, will not work in the current landscape as an appealing standalone hardware.
  1. Unlike digital games that are downloaded with an internet connection and then reside on the console to be played offline, cloud only means it has to always be connected to the internet to function.
  2. Cloud gaming is not at the point conducive to certain genres that are very dependent on input latency.
  3. Internet infrastructure around the globe is not yet to a standard where requiring a constant (good) connection is an appealing prospect outside of a couple of big cities and smaller countries.
Honestly just having access to PSNow and Xcloud on phones and computers is good enough.

This mock-up looks pretty cool actually

Depending on pricing, I could see myself buying one of these.

my problem with 1080p is that the data might be much. not a problem on decent internet at home, but the moment you leave the house, the device is gonna be encountering some spotty 5G/Wifi and a 1080p image is gonna chew through data

my problem with 1080p is that the data might be much. not a problem on decent internet at home, but the moment you leave the house, the device is gonna be encountering some spotty 5G/Wifi and a 1080p image is gonna chew through data
my use case would be almost 100% using it at home for off-TV play, like a Sony Switch. Using it anywhere else wouldn’t be a great experience, no doubt.

Seems like a waste of a product. I guess it's meant to target the.thin slice of gamer dads or mom who need to be untethered at home or give up the TV.

That said I do hope Nintendo announces Switch 2 soon.

Seems like a waste of a product. I guess it's meant to target the.thin slice of gamer dads or mom who need to be untethered at home or give up the TV.

That said I do hope Nintendo announces Switch 2 soon.
Nintendo needs to bring back the asymmetrical gameplay of the wiiu. Just invert and put the streaming chip on the dock, that way you can play Nintendo land and zombiu has it was meant to be played.

people are crapping on it, but are ignoring what market its going for, what sony is getting from this, and what strengths they have:

• there is a big market of "play my library on the go" and "streaming devices"
  • switch is not the same, but there are many buying specific indies or games on switch first and foremost because portable/handheld play
  • they have the numbers of "ps remote play", Its seemingly enough to be interesting.
  • people accepted big gaming devices, be it gamepads for smartphones, be it something like the steam deck

What sony brings to the table:

• good hardware division
  • gamepad hardware can stay mostly the same (depending on what size they are aiming for)
  • eco system (people that have a sizable library on PS and also want the remote play stuff either
  • have to move and rebuy stuff on PC or switch, or sony meets them halfway (remoteplay).
  • But with them not having full control over the devices you stream to, they can argue if you are playing a lot,
    this device has better battery life, and is simply better for sony remote play
  • they are way better at mass marketing such a device then most of its competitors in that space
  • they dont need to make a profit on the device, since it would lead people to buy games on their store instead of a different platform.
If the idea is to keep some people that want a dedicated streaming/portable gaming device away from
moving to other platforms it can be a win, since they then keep buying the games on sonys platform instead of steam.

Having a Hardware Unit in stores is less of a problem then having to argue for shelf space for physical games, especially if its positioned as an PS5 accessory.

This all hinges on 2 thing: them not expecting it to be a huge seller, but a solid selling accessory, and the price. If they get it <=199$, then this can work. higher, and the value proposition compared to the competitors is bad.
At 150 i could see people that are looking at the steamdeck or a switch and think: eh, ill just buy it, im only needing something for my lunch break or when i visit my girlfriend. thats better suited then my phone.

Is this realistic? YES. The gamepad is 80$, thats already with a margin. Add to that a solid 1080p screen (dosen't need to be the best),
a lightweight OS without much bloat (not an android device), 2GB of ram should be enough, basic storage (say 32GB) for screenshots, os, configuration, maybe some downloaded media), a basic soc that has the right media encoder for their exactly solution (dont know which off the shelf one would be good), and a battery.

Just look at the motorola G31, currently i can find it for 140€, and it has way more then they would need (but lacks the gamepads elements), si a price of 150-200$ seems realistic to me.

This shit is DOA if it's a cent over $100 USD, and knowing how Sony is these days, it's gonna be $400 or something batshit

This mock-up looks pretty cool actually

Depending on pricing, I could see myself buying one of these.

I’m not really following the new Nintendo hardware rumor mill that closely but it certainly looks like Sony is going to try and get this to market before Nintendo puts new hardware up for sale if they’re aiming at first half of 2024.

And that’s a bit of a problem for Sony because unless Nintendo absolutely drops the ball they’re going to crush the hype cycle for their new system. And that hype cycle could start as early as this summer if Nintendo wants it to.

the fact it's somehow online-only and only does streaming is especially jarring when you consider that the Logitech G Cloud is actually fairly decent at running native Android applications despite the marketing. i'd assume they'd be using a modified Android OS here as well.

they still need to deprioritize cloud streaming regardless, the fact PS3 games are still cloud-only is a major problem.

You mean before or after the 700+ PS5 Pro next year? (According to the article in OP)
to be fair, Microsoft is probably also planning their own "pro model" around the same time. going by how last gen went.
the only issue is that it might be difficult to shift the Series X into being part of the same price tier the S currently is at.

the fact it's somehow online-only and only does streaming is especially jarring when you consider that the Logitech G Cloud is actually fairly decent at running native Android applications despite the marketing. i'd assume they'd be using a modified Android OS here as well.

they still need to deprioritize cloud streaming regardless, the fact PS3 games are still cloud-only is a major problem.
I expect this device to run android apps too, but that's not how it's gonna be sold. people who buy this won't give a shit about android games (nor do they with the G Cloud)

This shit is DOA if it's a cent over $100 USD, and knowing how Sony is these days, it's gonna be $400 or something batshit
i expect this to land at like 300 and for them to treat it as a poor man's PS5. phase in the PS5 pro as the main model and if someone complains about it's 800 dollar price point they can point at this thing as the affordable PS5.

Could be a portable that plays ps5 games at lower resolution, maybe will use the disc drive just install games on it..

In theory I wouldn't mind a way to play PS5 games remotely as I prefer handheld gaming nowadays, but it's probably gonna cost a lot and instead of a direct connection like the Wii U it's gonna rely on a dicey internet connection? Not so good. Steam Deck for me!

Back
Top Bottom