• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I feel like I'd just be leaving myself open to people saying "Um, actually, if you push the Zen 2 cores to their absolute limit..." if I used these comparisons. (Though that applies more to the Series S comparison than the Steam Deck comparison. In this day and age, how many games can't make use of 6-8 cores?)
Actually that's an interesting thing to compare, because the successor will almost certainly have MORE cores than the Steam Deck, but also very likely have worse performance per core. My understanding is that it's relatively comparable, but either is a huge jump over the PS4's CPU.

Series S significantly outperforms either in CPU performance, it's really really overserved in the CPU department and the fact so many "CPU" limited games have ended up playable on Steam Deck or ended up being 60FPS on console indicates to me that it's unlikely the CPU of the successor will pose a significant issue, even before considering specific optimisations.

It's important to note that while pure 9th gen games have been in the works since 2020 with the launch of UE5, there are still tons of games that actually debuted at the end of the 8th gen and then got next gen upgrades up until 2022, so there aren't as many true 9th gen games as people think.

Back to switch2, I think switch2 is really positioned to make 9th gen games with 8th gen performance.That means it's highly streamlined around 9th gen game development, but that technical standard is more of a look at what first party games can achieve technically, and we can fully expect them to achieve 9th gen graphical quality standards with Lumen and Virtual Geometry, but that doesn't mean that all third parties will be able to port it just right for this console.

The main reason drake is "8th gen" performance is because it's physically spec'd as a gpu for a portable console so it's definitely limited, I remember Reddread having an argument with someone about this topic and I was trying to make a similar point,The clock frequency and core count of the drake is not as good as the ps4pro, so claiming the switch2 has "9th gen performance" is irresponsible.

Last edited:
bb3701c0-9bbd-45e8-989f-7c94dc5c825f_text.gif

Ray Recontruction, in UE5!

doctor-weird.gif

There isn't a good comparison, simply because Nintendo is the only significant device that we could compare it to not based on AMD hardware. It's also the only hybrid. The sheer number of qualifications at any comparison is massive.

Not that long ago I saw a well liked YouTube comment by someone who said he didn't believe it would be Series S levels of power (a four teraflops machine), closer to One X (a six teraflops machine). How do you succinctly explain to a person who thinks that way what level of performance to expect?

If you had to pick between current gen, last gen, and the Steam Deck, which device do you pick as the closest point of comparison? What's the least number of caveats you have to write after? How do you give someone an impression that won't be knocked down by pedants measuring by a totally different yard stick?

I don't have a good answer, and if your answer is multiple paragraphs long, you also don't have a good answer ;) That's because there isn't a good answer, just least bad.

I think the Steam Deck is a bad comparison, simply because so few gamers have encountered it, and don't have a set of visuals in their head associated with it, unlike a console with headlining exclusives that sold 10s of millions of units. I also think that most gamers intuitively understand scaling down to fit in your hand, instead of scaling up to get stretched on a 50 inch television.

I think few people understand RT, and most people experience it either as a "high quality" or a "low quality" lighting setting. I'd rather not explain to a layman the subtle differences between an upscaled low resolution RTGI solution over higher native res, pixely upscaled baked lighting plus SDF reflections :rolleyes: And most people immediately take the comparisons and see them as a floor, not a ceiling. I'm not trying to communicate what absolute killer ports would look like, but the "Forever Entertainment level" ports.

The PS4 remains the best option I've got, until Nintendo does the reveal and ends my need to explain anything

Both game sadly were hurt by exclusivity, since the Era of making an console exclusive is slowly coming to an end, we're now seeing Sony putting a game for the Switch to maximise profts and appeal to an larger audience.

I genuinely believe once the Switch 2 hits the market majority of developers will port their games on it, even NG games, which might be 900p, but with DLSS we might get 1440p at the minimum.

I'm genuinely curios how the Switch 2 will affect game development, since @oldpuck made a mini comment saying there's a high probability that the one who'll benefit the most from the Switch 2, will be Xbox and PC gamers, mostly because of optimisation.

Considering how well the Switch has been successful, I'd like to think that developers will keep the successor in mind even when chasing lofty AAA goals. Ultimately, there comes a point where fidelity and complexity is working against you if it means you can't properly port your game to the most popular system on the market.

I think few people understand RT, and most people experience it either as a "high quality" or a "low quality" lighting setting. I'd rather not explain to a layman the subtle differences between an upscaled low resolution RTGI solution over higher native res, pixely upscaled baked lighting plus SDF reflections :rolleyes: And most people immediately take the comparisons and see them as a floor, not a ceiling. I'm not trying to communicate what absolute killer ports would look like, but the "Forever Entertainment level" ports.
lol I tested RTGI on medium settings in dlss performance mode on some game I can't mention and it's amazing, while I didn't think the original was bad, once RR was turned on the whole look and feel of the screen became very good and the specular reflection resolution became very high and clear.

Please note that the "medium" RT setting is the lowest setting in this game.

Not that long ago I saw a well liked YouTube comment by someone who said he didn't believe it would be Series S levels of power (a four teraflops machine), closer to One X (a six teraflops machine). How do you succinctly explain to a person who thinks that way what level of performance to expect?
My mind was blown to realise that the Series S has lower Teraflops and ram, than the Xbox One X.

But the Series S showcases an interesting point of, despite the device having less ram and teraflops, it new architecture and CPU, make the Series S a extremely capable device for NG games, heck it's capable of hellblade 2.

The same thing will happen to the Switch 2, in which it's mature CPU and architecture will make most NG games and especially PS4 games run nicely on it, it doesn't even count DLSS and ray reconstruction.

One thing the Switch 2 will beat the Series S and SD, would be it's using more modern and capable ram. (from what i know of)

Switch 2's handheld mode are PS4 power & tv mode are PS4 Pro power is more than enough for me as a long time Nintendo fan since bought GameBoy Pocket >20 years ago. 10 years old big console PS4 (200 watt) inside a small handheld console (10 watt) + latest technologies are amazing

Off topic.

Even if Nintendo reveals the Switch 2, they most likely won't talk about the hardware features.

I know it's a bit obvious, but it's better to remind people about this.
Me once GTA 6 is showed case in 2 seconds in the Switch 2 trailer.

sigma.gif

But one thing the reveal trailer can do, is showcase which games we'll be getting, if it's either PS4 ports or NG ports.

It's important to note that while pure 9th gen games have been in the works since 2020 with the launch of UE5, there are still tons of games that actually debuted at the end of the 8th gen and then got next gen upgrades up until 2022, so there aren't as many true 9th gen games as people think.

Back to switch2, I think switch2 is really positioned to make 9th gen games with 8th gen performance.That means it's highly streamlined around 9th gen game development, but that technical standard is more of a look at what first party games can achieve technically, and we can fully expect them to achieve 9th gen graphical quality standards with Lumen and Virtual Geometry, but that doesn't mean that all third parties will be able to port it just right for this console.

The main reason drake is "8th gen" performance is because it's physically spec'd as a gpu for a portable console so it's definitely limited, I remember Reddread having an argument with someone about this topic and I was trying to make a similar point,The clock frequency and core count of the drake is not as good as the ps4pro, so claiming the switch2 has "9th gen performance" is irresponsible.
As a handheld, considering raw number crunching, more or less, but remember that it seems the TV mode performance is far closer to Series S than Xbox One. I wouldn't hesitate to call it a Gen 9 console, even in performance. Before we consider upscaling, even!

I feel the need to keep banging the drum of "Gen 9, not 8" when people keep bringing up PS4 Pro, when the Series S exists as an example of that level of raw performance with modern bells and whistles. It's not a machine for just playing cheap and dirty ports from PS4, it's a system for playing games from 2025, 2026 and so on.

As a handheld, considering raw number crunching, more or less, but remember that it seems the TV mode performance is far closer to Series S than Xbox One. I wouldn't hesitate to call it a Gen 9 console, even in performance. Before we consider upscaling, even!

I feel the need to keep banging the drum of "Gen 9, not 8" when people keep bringing up PS4 Pro, when the Series S exists as an example of that level of raw performance with modern bells and whistles. It's not a machine for just playing cheap and dirty ports from PS4, it's a system for playing games from 2025, 2026 and so on.
I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact you're right, but I think it's a complicated process to explain this to a more mass-impressionist audience, there's no way the switch2 can compete with the xss in terms of physical specs of the gpu to handle traditional graphics, but they have what could be basically the same experience or even better RT performance when it comes to 9th gen games, and the two "contradictory" points of view you need to spend a lot of time on technical explanations rather than any 1:1 comparison.

I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact you're right, but I think it's a complicated process to explain this to a more mass-impressionist audience, there's no way the switch2 can compete with the xss in terms of physical specs of the gpu to handle traditional graphics, but they have what could be basically the same experience or even better RT performance when it comes to 9th gen games, and the two "contradictory" points of view you need to spend a lot of time on technical explanations rather than any 1:1 comparison.These are two "contradictory" points of view that you need to spend a lot of time on technical explanations rather than any 1:1 comparisons.
You're right, the fact is there is no easy shorthand, but I stand by the idea that if we are to use them, we should use modern hardware, and not last generation hardware to make that comparison. Again, a simplification, but I think of it something like, a Steam Deck with better RT and upscaling in handheld mode, a Series S with better RT and upscaling in TV mode, plus or minus a few degrees. We can't be totally accurate with a yet-to-be-revealed hybrid system at the end of the day.

I still believe Switch to be a "9th-gen portable", even if I use it docked 95% of the time, simply because it has the necessary things to play it portably. Screen, speakers, battery, etc. Even if Nintendo called it a home console, I feel it was only to not have those folks feel left out. So I'd considered the Switch 2 a "10th-gen portable".

100%. All the bells and whistles of a 9th gen platform -- extremely fast loading times, modern CPU's, AI upscaling techniques like DLSS, ray-tracing, techniques like mesh shading -- are all going to be available on the Switch 2. It's going to be far closer to a PS5 than the Switch 1 was to a PS4.

There's such a huge disparity between the 8th and 9th generation and, as others have said, there's no reason to assume Nintendo would consciously target 8th-gen performance and they clearly haven't by everything exposed so far. The Matrix Awakens demo is the clincher: if the PS4 can't run it competently (or at all), it's safe to say the Switch 2 dwarfs it completely. They wouldn't show it to developers if it was slugging the whole time in both docked and portable - because what would be the point if it was only decent in one mode and not the other. Even if Unreal helped create an optimized demo for them, VGC reported that the visuals were "comparable to current-gen consoles" which neither the PS4 or PS4 Pro are...

Here's where I'm going with this: previously I've made comments like "docked mode will be on par with Series S" and "portable mode is like PS4/PS4 Pro", but I think that disparity is too great. It's not like portable mode won't still benefit from DLSS and all those bells and whistles. I think it might be more accurate to say "docked mode is in the ballpark of Series S" and "portable mode is....a slightly worse Series S".

Last edited:
Not that long ago I saw a well liked YouTube comment by someone who said he didn't believe it would be Series S levels of power (a four teraflops machine), closer to One X (a six teraflops machine).
It's possible that the commenter might have specifically had the One X's Jaguar CPU in mind, as pessimistic as that would be. But that just proves your point that there isn't a good comparison.

Off topic.

Even if Nintendo reveals the Switch 2, they most likely won't talk about the hardware features.

Pretty much this. Which is why I think they are gonna highlights the new experiences of gaming in Switch 2 in crossgen games instead of just showing that you can play the games in certain numbers of resolution and FPS. I don't think Nintendo wants their fans to be graphic clout chasers.

Apex on Switch finally got a fov slider in the latest update. They caveated that it may impact performance. Could this be a future proof feature for switch 2 backwards compat?

I was wondering if NVIDIA has a real-time global illumination solution similar to Lumen?
RTXGI. It’s engine-agnostic, and my understanding is that it’s primarily used in UE4 games, where Lumen isn’t available, or in path tracing where it has some specific features to enhance performance.

I believe Lumen is considered better at noisy detail and faster, because it combined RT and screen space effects for slightly less accurate results

Off topic.

Of course not, but we still would‘ve the advantage of seeing games running on actual hardware, and by analyzing which features are used, pixel counting, framerate and comparing games with other consoles editions (if there’re third party ports) we‘d get a much better ballpark of Switch 2 performance.

Sorry, Ceramic Pigeon, I really don’t appreciate being called a troll when I have spoken numerous times on here about my learning disability, anxieties and struggles with expression, and when I try my best to give as thoughtful, considered responses as possible. Nobody has to agree with me, but if you’re going to tell me that each time I post, you think I’m a troll, THEN expect me to take that in good faith, I can’t. Feel free to use the Ignore Button and please don’t ever reply to or quote me. Not here, not anywhere. In fact, I’ll make it easier for you personally to enjoy what’s left of the speculation thread - You can have it, and I can leave.

RTXGI. It’s engine-agnostic, and my understanding is that it’s primarily used in UE4 games, where Lumen isn’t available, or in path tracing where it has some specific features to enhance performance.

I believe Lumen is considered better at noisy detail and faster, because it combined RT and screen space effects for slightly less accurate results
Can we guess whether Nintendo will use a combination with RTXGI for real-time global illumination on the next-gen engine or a Lumen-like sort of solution?

Actually that's an interesting thing to compare, because the successor will almost certainly have MORE cores than the Steam Deck, but also very likely have worse performance per core. My understanding is that it's relatively comparable, but either is a huge jump over the PS4's CPU.

Series S significantly outperforms either in CPU performance, it's really really overserved in the CPU department and the fact so many "CPU" limited games have ended up playable on Steam Deck or ended up being 60FPS on console indicates to me that it's unlikely the CPU of the successor will pose a significant issue, even before considering specific optimisations.

The Steam Deck CPU is technically capable of boosting to 3.5GHz per core, but normally I think it would be much lower, I've heard around 2GHz. Is there much chance the Switch 2 CPU could match that?

Unfortunately, path tracing's still very computationally expensive. So I don't think path tracing's going to see major use for a long while. (I'm very aware Intel's published research papers on making path tracing viable for mid-range and integrated GPUs.)

It is expensive, but I was thinking about it being a thing on PS6 and the next Xbox (and maybe Switch 3). A current PC with a 7800x3D+4090 is fully capable of handling path-traced AAA games like Alan Wake 2, and my hope is that the next-gen consoles will be slightly above that in power (after all, a 4090 is only about 4 times as strong as the PS5 GPU). Also, path-tracing methods will likely continue to improve in efficiency, as they have since Quake 2 RTX released. My hope is that it could become standard for next-gen games - they'd likely have to forgo visual improvements in other areas, but I think that would be worth it, and would stop budgets from continuing to spiral out of control.

The Steam Deck CPU is technically capable of boosting to 3.5GHz per core, but normally I think it would be much lower, I've heard around 2GHz. Is there much chance the Switch 2 CPU could match that?
Roughly around 2.4Ghz max when GPU is maxed at 1.6Ghz because of the 15W limit on the chip, but SD uses a 4-core, 8-thread x86 CPU whereas Switch 2 uses an 8-core, 8-thread ARM CPU. Being at 2.4Ghz with 8 threads via SMT (Simultaneous Multithreading) does not mean it will effectively act like 8 cores at 2.4Ghz in real world terms. The average benefit is around a 25% increase in performance on the raw core count because each pair of threads have to share one set of resources per core. When a thread is using a resource, and the other thread needs it, it has to wait until it is released, and they go back and forth with sharing. Having an equal core-to-thread count doesn't have to do such sharing. This isn't even including that SMT increases power requirements and thermals, so it's very possible that 2.4Ghz with SMT is not possible when the GPU is at max on SD. Can someone confirm that?

For the sake of discussion, let's say the number is dropped to 2Ghz with SMT. In inaccurate terms, that could be equivalent to 2.5Ghz on those 4 cores, which could translate to 1.25Ghz on 8 threads. Discussions of the T239's CPU in terms of power envelop to match the Switch CPU's power consumption had designated around 1.7Ghz (minimum?) for all 8 cores active. This is definitely greater than what Steam Deck would provide on a maxed GPU. Then there's info that suggests that the IPC (Instructions per cycle) of the Cortex A78C is greater than Zen2 of the SD, though I don't recall that percentage.

So simply put, it won't just match. It will exceed. Even if 2.4Ghz was maintained with SMT, that would still be equivalent to 3Ghz on 4 cores, translating to 1.5Ghz on 8 threads. Still less than what Switch 2 could offer. The advantage that SD would have is in cases of single-core performance without SMT, though not by much in the 2Ghz example. In a 2.4Ghz example with SMT, it could include a scenario where one thread is heavily dominant over the other as opposed to being equal. But in multi-core performance numbers, Switch easily exceeds it.

Can we guess whether Nintendo will use a combination with RTXGI for real-time global illumination on the next-gen engine or a Lumen-like sort of solution?
Probably a probe-based solution, which seems to be getting popular. It's lighter weight than a per-pixel solution.

They could use a surface cache-like solution, but I don't see as much uptick on that as probes. Plus Nintendo is already using probes in Zelda.

I like to think that a good way to describe Switch 2 power is:

Better than ps4 and steam deck on portable, close to Rog Ally with some diferences.
Better than ps4 pro on docked, very close to Xbox Series S with some diferences.

The problem with most of these comparisons to the Ps4 is that they imply that the Switch 2 should be like it, while the only thing both have close is the FLOP numbers when NS2 is on portable mode.

Better than ps4 and steam deck on portable, close to Rog Ally with some diferences.
Better than ps4 pro on docked, very close to Xbox Series S with some diferences.
Still, please don't make any 1:1 comparisons, again ps4 performance is only advertised for the more general public because portable is its core mode, you can't lie to the general public and say it really has 9th gen power.

Of course not, but we still would‘ve the advantage of seeing games running on actual hardware, and by analyzing which features are used, pixel counting, framerate and comparing games with other consoles editions (if there’re third party ports) we‘d get a much better ballpark of Switch 2 performance.
For me it is useless to analyze the games shown in the trailer, they could be better or worse once released.
But if you want to analyze them anyway, that's fine.

Random thought: The next insult people make about Switch 2 will be something like this "Switch 2 needs to use fake 4K to match the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X with their native 4K."

I know it's a bit stupid and they are a niche, but these people insult the Switch for not being as powerful as the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series.

I like to think that a good way to describe Switch 2 power is:

The problem with most of these comparisons to the Ps4 is that they imply that the Switch 2 should be like it, while the only thing both have close is the FLOP numbers when NS2 is on portable mode.
I think a good way to describe it, is that it compares to ps4 in a similar way Switch compared to a 360.

Similiar raw power level, but worlds apart in gpu features, enabling it to get more advanced ports.

I think a good way to describe it, is that it compares to ps4 in a similar way Switch compared to a 360.

Similiar raw power level, but worlds apart in gpu features, enabling it to get more advanced ports.
If there's any difference, it's that this time there's dlss that can make up for the resolution deficiencies.

Random thought: The next insult people make about Switch 2 will be something like this "Switch 2 needs to use fake 4K to match the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X with their native 4K."

I know it's a bit stupid and they are a niche, but these people insult the Switch for not being as powerful as the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series.
Ps5 and Series X don't even hit 4K on their own most of the time

The whole 4K on consoles has been a joke for years. Like you said, most games hit between 1440 and 1800.

I don't mind because they still look stunning, but the marketing is as ridiculous as the chip node shrinks.

Off topic.

I think you meant hardware specs, no? Nintendo will definitely showcase hardware features as in what the new device can do and what new ways of playing you can expect. But yeah, when it comes to specs all Nintendo will say is "Custom Tegra Processor" or something along those lines. We will only get the actual specs of the device until it is released and people take it apart.

Imho as of now we know enough about the specs. CPU+GPU clockrates would be nice i guess, but just knowing it will support all modern features (apart from DLSS 3 Framegen) and easily surpass PS4 Pro when docked is still great news for a hybrid handheld if you ask me.

One advice, try not to imagine random groups of people who may say something in the corner of the WWW.
IMO: It's best to just center the discussion with people in the thread instead of pulling in and generalise just to form a basis of a discussion point. Like you said they're niche and I bet a niche in a niche into idk handful of commenters that you'd rarely encounter unless you search for it. Like a 0.001% Shiny.

\^o^/

I think you meant hardware specs, no?
Yes the hardware specs.
I know, but people obviously don't know this.
One advice, try not to imagine random groups of people who may say something in the corner of the WWW.
IMO: It's best to just center the discussion with people in the thread instead of pulling in and generalise just to form a basis of a discussion point. Like you said they're niche and I bet a niche in a niche into idk handful of commenters that you'd rarely encounter unless you search for it. Like a 0.001% Shiny.

\^o^/
You're right, I better not imagine them, they are a big nuisance even if they are a niche of the niche.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom