• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Bayonetta 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if there are going to be any Nintendo costumes in this like in Bayo 1 and 2? I’ve been avoiding pre-release footage for the most part so I’m not sure if this has been confirmed yet.

Do we know if there are going to be any Nintendo costumes in this like in Bayo 1 and 2? I’ve been avoiding pre-release footage for the most part so I’m not sure if this has been confirmed yet.
I don't think we know, but I hope there are some neat ones.
It's a thought I've entertained previously, but the idea of a Lappy costume as a humorous nod to Platinum's other work and their relationship with Nintendo could be neat. Similarly and more likely, a costume of the Astral Chain protagonist would allow much the same -- especially with the unlikely option of turning demons into Legions.
Another costume harking to Platinum's history (and still their history with Nintendo) could be for The Wonderful 101 -- I'm thinking Wonder Pink could be fitting.
And then there's the question of more typical Nintendo costumes

Any idea when the review embargo drops this week?
Tuesday, the 25th, isn't it? Three days before release.

Surprised the prologue leaked and then just… nothing
We got the weapon leaks which is about all I wanted from early leaks (though they're gone now so that's a bit of a shame)

Maybe a look into how much content there is in the game would be nice

mini review ?
warring spoiler i think

Good look at the game from a more casual action fan (like me, tbh, he even shared my opinion of initially being vaguely upset at the Astral Chain tease in the 2021 re-reveal trailer)

I'm more worried about the game's reception among hard-core action fans honestly, but since I don't count myself in that group I'm pretty happy to see this

mini review ?
warring spoiler i think

I just watched this. I'd say it's about 90% non-spoiler and the other 10% is a couple of parts relating to weapons/demon masquerade?

Either way got me more excited, need that review embargo up on Tuesday asap!

Wouldn’t a Wonder Bayo costume be more fitting for a W101 nod?
I was figuring something like that is in a different sort of line from the costumes Bayonetta has already received, being a costume of herself; it would be interesting if they actually did something along those lines, though, especially if they went all out with it so it looks very much distinct from normal Bayonetta.

I'm thinking it could be fitting because of stuff like this:
latestcb2013092120221sofzt.png

Though it wouldn't be out of place to use a character that doesn't have these elements.

But more general Nintendo costumes, not necessarily related to Platinum, would definitely be good. There are certainly options. Palutena would be a humorous bit of irony.

You know, I seem to recall seeing quite a bit of dislike for the new look back when the big reveal was shown, but it really seems to work.

Hellena has tweeted further:

She now claims she was offered $10k not 4k.

She confirms everything on the article, but still doubles down on the 450M. At this point I think she's beyond the benefit of the doubt, she's constructed a narrative through omissions and misinterpretations to fit her interests.

Not gonna comment any more on the Taylor stuff.

Cant believe Bayo 3 is getting released this week, still very much remember the reveal at TGA. That came from absolute nowhere, one of the coolest ones the show ever had tbh. Reggie being all sneaky.

Yeah I just posted the update but I also want to move on, she has proven generally untrustworthy (VAs still need better treatment though)

I've been replaying Bayo 2 and I am SO rusty, died on Chapter 2 on Normal.

Yeah I just posted the update but I also want to move on, she has proven generally untrustworthy (VAs still need better treatment though)

I've been replaying Bayo 2 and I am SO rusty, died on Chapter 2 on Normal.
I've been replaying Bayo1 on hard and getting Stone awards left and right. I'm actually not doing that bad, beating most verses with PP/Platinum or Gold, but suddenly I mess up on a QTE or rust kicks in and I get obliterated in a moment. Also, Alfheims are seriously kicking my butt, it's taking me like 2 hours to beat a chapter and 1:45 of them are spent inside Alfheims 😝

Bayonetta 1's combat system is still incredible. I didn't like Metal Gear Rising much because the combos were meaningless: There's no reason to use one combo instead of another as you can't juggle or down enemies and there's no style meter incentivizing variety, so there's an objective "best" combo which is the optimal way to use always. But when you play Bayo, almost every combo with every weapon has a reason to be used in the right circumstances. You have combos to quickly get a WW, launchers, strong launchers, long combos to build more magic, sweeps, crowd control...

In a lot of games, as you play more you develop an optimal strategy: You discard many options so that you only use the best ones that can solve any problem you find. You min-max the game and it often ends up being more boring than it was when you were untangling the chaos of all the available choices you had. But in Bayo as you play more you start to use more variety of combos and weapons, not only to boost your score, but because they're really useful! Using Shuraba's wide WWs to control many enemies from a distance, or getting in there and thinning up the herd with some Durgha bombs, or keeping a dangerous foe away with Kilgore's missiles, or infinitely extending air combos by snatching enemies with Kulshedra...

This is one big reason why Bayo1's combat is better than 2's: In 1, your choices of combos and weapons allow you to shape the battlefield and play like you like. But in 2, most enemies will just tank your hits or break out of your combos unless you're in Umbran Climax...but in Umbran Climax it doesn't really matter much what you do as you just steamroll them with anything. So you end up playing like the game wants you to, which is mainly trying to constantly build up enough magic meter to fire UC. And the combos you use don't really matter much because most enemies just tank through them, so you end up in a place similar to MGR :/ This is in part due to Bayo2 using too many "big" enemies instead of normal sized ones: In Bayo1 you could easily launch 90% of the Angels roster, but in Bayo2, between big enemies and those who can combo break out of everything, it's not as easy to style anymore.

I hope Bayo3 doesn't rely that much in huge and tanky enemies, or gives us an easy way to launch/sweep/down them without making the basic combo system useless...

I made it to Chapter 10 of Bayonetta 2 last night. This game is seriously a rollercoaster ride that just keeps going up. Amazing honestly

I am expecting a 87-88. IF and only IF mega bayo fans review it, I could see 90+ but thats not gonna happen.

I’m so detach from these type of games that I can’t even guess what scores it’ll get.

Based off the older games. High 85 to 90
Is the range I guess.

I’ll go with 88. To cap off 8 years since the last Bayo title.

Maybe it was already answered, but did Platinum abandoned the two weapons mechanics (i.e. guns for the arms/swords for the legs) in favor of summons and transformations?

Maybe it was already answered, but did Platinum abandoned the two weapons mechanics (i.e. guns for the arms/swords for the legs) in favor of summons and transformations?
Yep, only one weapon can be equipped at a time, which affects your transformation (Maquerade form, which is mostly just revamped Wicked Weaves + Panther/Bat within). You still have an A and B loadout that can be swapped between

You can have three summons at a time that can be swapped between using the D-pad

I worry there will be some reviewers who deep down still sympathize with Helena and give a bad review (like a 6).

I doubt it. I think most mainstream reviewers just want to review the game and move on. Knocking down the game because of the Hellena situation would resort in people digging up and scrutinizing their old reviews of games attached to controversial topics like Ubisoft games for example. I don't think your typical review wants to deal with that can of worms.

Bayo 1 and 2 are amazing. I hope 3 is able to take the best of both. 1 had better combat but the QTEs were the worst I've seen in a game. Single handedly stop me from playing Bayo 1 again.

A good look at some unfiltered, undocked gameplay.

It was cool to see the level of destructible environments, like Gomorrah destroy the side of the building. It’s not much but an interactive touch I appreciate.

Also seems to run really well undocked!

The video is private =/

Sorry, it wasn’t private like…15 minutes ago. Must have been taken down.

I’m not going to lie I keep YouTube searching for bayonetta 3 gameplay and setting the search perimeters to last 24 hours lol

Take my word for it, that video was awesome and confirmed three things:
-environmental destruction (even up the side of buildings)
-fast load times
-solid performance in undocked (didn’t see any slowdown)

Friday baby!

kinda funny how something that started as a boycott will end up probably making Bayonetta 3 platinum's biggest success since nier automata

Is the 89 curse even real?
Animal Crossing landed on 90.
Metroid Dread actually landed on 88.
Astral Chain is 87.
Splatoon is 83.
I can only think of FE3H and Xenoblade 3 that got an 89.
Look the 89 curse is more of an "around 89" curse (though didn't realize Dread had dropped to 88, it was at 89 for a while after release)

And I'm still over here, mostly looking forward to Slant's review of the game.
anticipation-disney.gif

(I really should have a look at how they rated Bayonetta 1 and 2, if they did...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom