• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Bayonetta 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, after checking out Taylor’s Twitter after all the speculation of Bayonetta being recast and discovering that she seems to be, surprisingly, very Christian (not sure if that’s, like, a recent development with her or if she’s always been like that), I’ve started to think that maybe it’s for the best that they recast her anyway, given the role… I wouldn’t even be surprised if the “schedule conflict” (which seems suspect given Taylor’s tweets after the first trailer reveal and all) was really a disagreement between her and Nintendo/PlatinumGames regarding the content of the game or lines she’d have to voice being “blasphemous” or something like that, though that’s obviously pure speculation on my part and we have no real evidence to suggest that.

Sad to hear that Taylor really is gone, and a schedule conflict was apparently the only reason why.

But on the other hand, Hale (aka Prime!Samus) is a very good pick.

We might not have to wait long to hear Hale in another nintendo game :sneaky:. Winks at Metroid (I hope lol)

Honestly, after checking out Taylor’s Twitter after all the speculation of Bayonetta being recast and discovering that she seems to be, surprisingly, very Christian (not sure if that’s, like, a recent development with her or if she’s always been like that), I’ve started to think that maybe it’s for the best that they recast her anyway, given the role… I wouldn’t even be surprised if the “schedule conflict” (which seems suspect given Taylor’s tweets after the first trailer reveal and all) was really a disagreement between her and Nintendo/PlatinumGames regarding the content of the game or lines she’d have to voice being “blasphemous” or something like that, though that’s obviously pure speculation on my part and we have no real evidence to suggest that.
I don't think that's the issue, if that were the case she probably would've had an issue with the nun thing. My honest thoughts on the change is simply that Jennifer Hale has more range and can convincingly voice more than one version of the character since we already know there will be multiple Bayos in the story.That or it's some union thing.

I don't think that's the issue, if that were the case she probably would've had an issue with the nun thing. My honest thoughts on the change is simply that Jennifer Hale has more range and can convincingly voice more than one version of the character since we already know there will be multiple Bayos in the story.That or it's some union thing.
Well like I said, I don’t know if Taylor only recently became super religious like that sometime after her roles in the first two games or what, ‘cause if so that could explain it, but yeah, it may very well be entirely unrelated to that as well.

Hellena Taylor felt some type of way about in the past year or so when she was tweeting about clauses where she couldn't explicitly say "I'm not Bayonetta's voice in the third game"

Here replies to folks on twitter were....interesting to say the least.

but overall, I've liked what I've heard of Jennifer Hale so far in Bayo 3.

it's sad that they couldn't work out hellena working on the game, but the new VA sounds great too.

I saw one of the NOA employees quote retweet by saying this is the first time they nabbed the GI cover treatment since BOTW!
2019-06-cover-800h.jpg

????

Always disappointing to lose the original VA. There's definitely something off about her voice in the couple trailers I've seen, but I'm sure Jennifer will do a great job overall. I'll get used to it...

So any interesting details from the article yet?

• Reiterates that the reason for the wait was because they crammed in even more content compared to previous games
  • Kamiya states story kicks off not too long after the events of Bayo2
  • Demo GI was shown picks up soon after the game's prologue, with Cereza, Jeanne and Enzo at Rodin's place
    [*]Something "big" is going down, Rodin insures the Gates of Hell can hold up for a "little while"
    [*]Viola then busts in, knows our two resident witches who, of course, don't know her; prompts explanation of the multiverse by Rodin
  • There's more story/lore snippets to be had, but you can hunt down the article yourself if you want to peep
  • Demon Masquerade was implemented to show how much Bayonetta's powers have grown, which is why they've wholly replaced Beast Within
  • Demon Slaves have additional effects that can be triggered through Witch Time; for example, Madama Butterfly can blow kisses that can "charm" enemies to fight for you
  • Demons, for all their power, also carry a risk; as they take damage, their "anger gauge" increases
  • At Max Anger, Bayonetta loses control of her summon to a "Demon Rampage", where they will attack any and everything in their way
  • Demons can also be "killed" in battle, rendering them inoperable for a time
  • Main currency this time is Embryos, acquired from Homunculi
  • Halos are now acquired through "special means" (my guess, through special verses, where Angels are located, if that post-Direct vid is anything to go by)
  • No more running back and forth to Rodin's every time you want to upgrade! We now have Skill Trees we can access from the pause menu at any time, to spend Embryos!
  • Demons have their OWN Skill Trees, as well, to unlock and enhance Slave and Masquerade abilities
  • As a result, this game has a LOT more abilities to unlock compared to the previous games
  • Unfortunately, in effort to not overwhelm newbies, this also means things like Torture Attacks are not unlocked by default
  • They insure vets that they won't have to wait long to unlock Torture Attacks and other things we're used to
  • Umbra Tears are BACK; this time, it's not just crows, as you can find cats and frogs, too
  • Finding all Tears in a stage unlocks a secret, challenging "bonus level", where "familiar faces" appear and "mystery items" are the reward
  • At the edges of each stage is a fog called "Eraser", representing the instability of the multiverse; touching it damages Bayo
  • Viola doesn't blow a kiss when she clears an area, like Bayo, she throws up devil horns!
  • But despite her edginess, Viola is still portrayed as an upstart, compared to Bayo
  • Apparently, Viola will mainly (only?) use her katana and throwing darts
  • However, her overall playstyle emphasizes more raw power compared to Bayo's
  • Holding the attack buttons will charge up her swings
  • Throwing darts are infinite, but require a bit more finesse compared to Bayo's guns
  • Cheshire, Viola's Demon, utilizes her katana to summon; Viola loses it while Cheshire is in play
  • Cheshire can NOT be controlled, but you still have full control of Viola
  • Viola will fight bare-handed in the meanwhile!
  • Viola triggers Witch Time by blocking in the nick of time, instead of dodging.
  • You have to press R to use a block, she can still dodge, though
  • As a result, Witch Time timing is bit more forgiving for Viola
  • No Wicked Weaves for Viola
  • Has a Skill Tree of her own, of course
  • Kamiya says the initial teaser from 2017 will be fun for players to revisit after playing the game

Does anyone have any tips for a first-time Bayonetta player? Currently playing through the original on Switch and loving it - just made it to Chapter VIII - but I'm stuck between being too good for Easy mode, but not quite good enough for Normal in the "later" stages. On Easy, it kind of feels like the game plays itself, and combos aren't nearly as satisfying to execute, but I'm enjoying the pace overall.

Also, is it just me, or is the Bat ability (press ZR after being injured) nearly impossible to execute? I haven't purchased it yet only because I haven't gotten it to work a single time during practice mode.

• Reiterates that the reason for the wait was because they crammed in even more content compared to previous games
  • Demo GI was shown picks up soon after the game's prologue, with Cereza, Jeanne and Enzo at Rodin's place
    [*]Something "big" is going down, Rodin insures the Gates of Hell can hold up for a "little while"
    [*]Viola then busts in, knows our two resident witches who, of course, don't know her; prompts explanation of the multiverse by Rodin
  • There's more story/lore snippets to be had, but you can hunt down the article yourself if you want to peep
  • Demon Masquerade was implemented to show how much Bayonetta's powers have grown, which is why they've wholly replaced Beast Within
  • Demon Slaves have additional effects that can be triggered through Witch Time; for example, Madama Butterfly can blow kisses that can "charm" enemies to fight for you
  • Demons, for all their power, also carry a risk; as they take damage, their "anger gauge" increases
  • At Max Anger, Bayonetta loses control of her summon to a "Demon Rampage", where they will attack any and everything in their way
  • Halos are now acquired through "special means" (my guess, through special verses, where Angels are located, if that post-Direct vid is anything to go by)
  • No more running back and forth to Rodin's every time you want to upgrade! We now have Skill Trees we can access from the pause menu at any time, to spend Embryos!
  • Demons have their OWN Skill Trees, as well, to unlock and enhance Slave and Masquerade abilities
  • As a result, this game has a LOT more abilities to unlock compared to the previous games
  • Unfortunately, in effort to not overwhelm newbies, this also means things like Torture Attacks are not unlocked by default
  • They insure vets that they won't have to wait long to unlock Torture Attacks and other things we're used to
  • Umbra Tears are BACK; this time, it's not just crows, as you can find cats and frogs, too
  • Finding all Tears in a stage unlocks a secret, challenging "bonus level", where "familiar faces" appear and "mystery items" are the reward
  • At the edges of each stage is a fog called "Eraser", representing the instability of the multiverse; touching it damages Bayo
  • Viola doesn't blow a kiss when she clears an area, like Bayo, she throws up devil horns!
  • But despite her edginess, Viola is still portrayed as an upstart, compared to Bayo
  • Throwing darts are infinite, but require a bit more finesse compared to Bayo's guns
  • Cheshire, Viola's Demon, utilizes her katana to summon; Viola loses it while Cheshire is in play
  • Viola triggers Witch Time by blocking in the nick of time, instead of dodging.
  • Kamiya says the initial teaser from 2017 will be fun for players to revisit after playing the game

A few additions:

• levels are now bigger and more involved, with more secrets, paths to take and interactions through Infernal Demon/Demon Masquerade usage
  • there is a hub island valled 'Thule' that acts as a junction point used for travelling between multiverses
  • more than 10 times the amount of skills compared to previous games
  • performance seemed solid in the demo
  • only problem the person previewing the game had was constant camera adjustment while summoning demons

Lots of new info here and it all sounds amazing. This is a much, much bigger jump and change-up compared to 2 as a sequel and I'm so glad it is.

And it's coming this month!

Last edited:
A few additions:

• levels are now bigger and more involved, with more secrets, paths to take and interactions through Infernal Demon/Demon Masquerade usage
  • there is a hub island valled 'Thule' that acts as a junction point used for travelling between multiverses
  • only problem the person previewing the game had was constant camera adjustment while summoning demons

Lots of new info here and it all sounds amazing. This is a much, much bigger jump and change-up compared to 2 as a sequel and I'm so glad it is.

Interesting, so there’s a hub instead of chapter select?

All this sounds great!!

Thanks a bunch.

This all sounds quite good.

Last edited:

A few additions:

Excitement rising...really looking forward to the exploring of the areas a bit more and finding angels and demons to fight.

Does anyone have any tips for a first-time Bayonetta player? Currently playing through the original on Switch and loving it - just made it to Chapter VIII - but I'm stuck between being too good for Easy mode, but not quite good enough for Normal in the "later" stages. On Easy, it kind of feels like the game plays itself, and combos aren't nearly as satisfying to execute, but I'm enjoying the pace overall.

Also, is it just me, or is the Bat ability (press ZR after being injured) nearly impossible to execute? I haven't purchased it yet only because I haven't gotten it to work a single time during practice mode.
Normal on those games can be hard for a first-timer.
Those games are VERY replayable and are not unlike old NES games in that way: short and designed to be so you get better the more you play. Even sub-consiously you learn enemies and their patterns, what each chapter has to offer, and so on.

I would recommend sticking to Normal, but I'm not one of those "you can't summon during souls games" type of people. Just go with whatever feels better. Don't worry if half the awards you get are Enzo falling on his ass.

I think Normal also has more content? I don't recall if some secret battles can be encountered on Easy.

I'm not a pro. Personally, I'm still struggling with switching to Hard (I can beat most things, but Jeanne encounters are hell to me for some reason), so it's your call.

Just wanted to highlight a weird thing with how this game handles difficulties that can be easy (😉) to miss. Starting the game on Easy has “automatic” switched on by default, which indeed does string together moves for you. You can turn that off by going to your accessories screen and removing the marionette accessory!

Just wanted to highlight a weird thing with how this game handles difficulties that can be easy (😉) to miss. Starting the game on Easy has “automatic” switched on by default, which indeed does string together moves for you. You can turn that off by going to your accessories screen and removing the marionette accessory!
Yes!! I figured this out yesterday and am having a much better time overall. It's still too easy, but I'd prefer to get silver, gold, or platinum each encounter and breeze through the game now so I can properly appreciate it with a Normal replay later :) Thanks for the heads up!

Even though I have a more positive outlook on my hand situation, I have cancelled my pre order for this game till I make good progress on the hand therapy once I get that appointment made. This game will be the first one ll buy once it’s fully recovered

Started up Bayo 2 and good god do I need a plot refresher or something. Fuck time travel and alternate realities and all that jazz.
I played Bayo 2 three times in a row, with Bayo 1 still fresh in my mind, and I still don't understand the story of either. 😅

I played Bayo 2 three times in a row, with Bayo 1 still fresh in my mind, and I still don't understand the story of either. 😅
I'm just waiting for Enzo to basically break the fourth wall by doing a recap and telling the audience to "fuhgeddaboutit and enjoy your fucking self"

f-bombs in a Nintendo published game is even weirder than seeing Nintendo and Sega logos sequentially in the intro

Bayo 1's is pretty simple and straightforward, up until Bayonetta takes Cereza back to the past. Where a number seem to get it twisted, and what Kamiya had to clarify himself in his own playthrough some time ago, is that the Cereza taken back to the past, with all the memories adventuring with her adult self intact, causes a brand new timeline that we saw play out in brief. This different timeline be caused is what causes "our" Bayonetta, aka the one we've been playing this entire game, to awaken her Left Eye.

How Balder got the idea for that, let alone the notion it would even work? I chalk that up to him being possessed by Loptr/Aesir, as per Bayo 2's ending. Being possessed by a literal dark god, who himself was half of the universe's original creator-god, is the only thing that BEGINS to remotely explain how a dude could get the idea of causing several layers of paradox and creating a new timeline as a means of waking up the powers of another, while also helping to get over their personal traumas.

Bayo 1's is pretty simple and straightforward, up until Bayonetta takes Cereza back to the past. Where a number seem to get it twisted, and what Kamiya had to clarify himself in his own playthrough some time ago, is that the Cereza taken back to the past, with all the memories adventuring with her adult self intact, causes a brand new timeline that we saw play out in brief. This different timeline be caused is what causes "our" Bayonetta, aka the one we've been playing this entire game, to awaken her Left Eye.

How Balder got the idea for that, let alone the notion it would even work? I chalk that up to him being possessed by Loptr/Aesir, as per Bayo 2's ending. Being possessed by a literal dark god, who himself was half of the universe's original creator-god, is the only thing that BEGINS to remotely explain how a dude could get the idea of causing several layers of paradox and creating a new timeline as a means of waking up the powers of another, while also helping to get over their personal traumas.
giphy.webp

I feel like Bayo 1's story is better, because while Bayo 2's is much more simple, it also spends a lot more time explaining itself. Bayo 1 just assalts you with cutscenes that are related to the plot but are usually really funny. Bayo 2 makes you actively slow down and listen to characters talk within levels which feels insanely weird in a game like that.
While I understand story of Bayo 2 much more, I couldn't recount what happened in its cutscenes because most of the jokes in the game are just callbacks.
Bayo 1 had the graveyard scene, followed by Enzo's shitty car, jet crashing, "cap in yo' ass", Luka's intro, small Cereza encounter, first boss... Any cutscene I can remember from it has at least one really solid gag in it, while 2 had like... I mean, I remember the intro and the end...

hyped to the max. can't wait.

Well, I'm through the first chapter in Bayo 2 on Normal difficulty. Feels like riding a bike again, and I feel like I’ve got a better grip on how to play although I still think I play more aggressively than I should (thanks 80s belt scroller design!). It does feel like this one does a better job of easing you into the systems than the first game at least.

Also this is the most AA of AA releases I’ve played in a while. You can tell the budget went only into the set piece and encounter design and to hell with everything else 😂

Last edited:
Yeah I was like, I never even see a Game Informer magazine in my life. How's that big, lol.
You must be young. Back when we had to buy games in stores like GameStop, they'd be forced hard onto us like parents used to insist drugs would be.

GI was one of the biggest gaming magazines. if you were around when gaming rags were a thing, then you most definitely have seen one (if you lived in NA)
I do live in NA lol. Gaming magazines have never been a thing in my generation at all except maybe when I was kid. The only time I see some gaming magazines is when I'm in a pawn shop.

Either way, in 2022 that's definitely not a big deal.

Btw was this posted?

I don't think so.

I can see Nintendo getting a stake in that company soon. Not a full acquisition, though I do feel like Platinum is actually a company that can benefit from one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom