• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, by the time Advance Wars released, there had already been Famicom Wars, Super Famicom Wars, and Game Boy Wars, all made by IS, and then three more Game Boy Wars titles developed by Hudson when the series was licensed out to them.

Also important to note, I believe Advance Wars was the first entry that had actual characters and a story.

Yeah, it's funny that the franchise is technically 'Wars' and it's just 'Advance Wars' so being on the Game Boy Advance -- so the DS game should've been DS Wars, this should be Switch Wars, etc. But 'Advance Wars' just stuck as the franchise name.

I'm still not super on board about the artstyle but my excitement for this existing at all outweighs it by far :D

I keep going to pre-order this, and keep backing out when I see it's $60. I really want to support Advance Wars as a series, but if a remaster as complex as Metroid Prime Remastered was $40, then a remake of two 2d GBA games that rely on pretty simple tiled maps feels like it should be in that same area, you know?

If it was a new game I'd be happy to pay $60. But as it is I'll wait for reviews / impressions on here.

I keep going to pre-order this, and keep backing out when I see it's $60. I really want to support Advance Wars as a series, but if a remaster as complex as Metroid Prime Remastered was $40, then a remake of two 2d GBA games that rely on pretty simple tiled maps feels like it should be in that same area, you know?

If it was a new game I'd be happy to pay $60. But as it is I'll wait for reviews / impressions on here.
Do vouchers

Did they delete the new tweet and video for some reason?

Found a reupload:

Wonder why they did that. I do feel some of those CO stat bullet points are a bit off, but that doesn't feel like enough reason to delete the tweet.

Excited because I never played the original. What should I expect? Anything I should know to make my play time more enjoyable?
You're gonna experience the perfection in turn based strategy form! I wish I could relive the stories of the games for the first time...

Here's one advice from me: Don't spam tanks, even if that looks like the best option. Artillery matters a lot, even better if they outnumber your tanks. Have them come behind your tanks, cover up as much area as possible.

Excited because I never played the original. What should I expect? Anything I should know to make my play time more enjoyable?

You should expect a killer soundtrack and top notch gameplay, plus lots of charm.

The game does a good job of introducing its mechanics through incremental gameplay, don't worry about anything, just enjoy.

I keep forgetting this is finally coming out this week. It feels so surreal after all the delays and the long time completely MIA.

I'm just happy the game, as expected, didn't get silently cancelled, didn't get quietly shadowdropped and shoved to the side, had the proper month of marketing and it's releasing both physical and digital after like a year of a lot of people doomposting about it.

I'm just happy the game, as expected, didn't get silently cancelled, didn't get quietly shadowdropped and shoved to the side, had the proper month of marketing and it's releasing both physical and digital after like a year of a lot of people doomposting about it.
Oh wow, I remember that. Someone on here was insistent that the game was going to be silently canceled.

Excited to get my physical copy in, love the boxart. Glad they kept it like the gba version.

Nintendo was never going to cancel this game outright given it was not only done, but had copies printed. It was just finding the right window in the release schedule, while also being an appropriate time given world events.

Plus I think there's an element of the internet that has now decided for itself that Advance Wars is a failure of a series that Nintendo despises, despite evidence of support for it from higher ups, particularly at NOA.

Looking forward to playing this as a a change of pace between the Octopath game and Zelda. I’ve always liked the primary colours of Advance Wars, it makes the battlefield easy to read.

When people make snide comments about Advance Wars' bright colours and aesthetic, they don't actually realise this is what makes it such fun to play as a strategy game. It makes the game crisp and clear and easy on the eyes, which is important when you're looking at the same map and icons for 45 minutes at a time. It's actually good art design.

We had an Advance Wars that threw away the bright colour palette in Days of Ruin, and while that game probably has the best gameplay in the series, it's the game I've replayed the least, becuase lordy it is ugly, to the point it makes it difficult to play.

When people make snide comments about Advance Wars' bright colours and aesthetic, they don't actually realise this is what makes it such fun to play as a strategy game. It makes the game crisp and clear and easy on the eyes, which is important when you're looking at the same map and icons for 45 minutes at a time. It's actually good art design.

We had an Advance Wars that threw away the bright colour palette in Days of Ruin, and while that game probably has the best gameplay in the series, it's the game I've replayed the least, becuase lordy it is ugly, to the point it makes it difficult to play.
Agree entirely. I kinda see AW, and the older FE games, as more like a strategy board game, where if all the pieces were in natural shades of brown and grey and khaki and muted greens, it would be way less easy to read than pieces in strong colours. It’s the reason why the older Fire Emblem games had player units all unified in a blue palette and enemy ones in a red one too, it’s just easier to read which of your units are isolated and where the flash points are. Especially when there’s zero relationship in scale between infantry, vehicles/cavalry and cities/villages/factories/forts/woods too- they all fit in one square regardless.

I prefer the bright and distinct colours of Advance Wars to anything else. Likewise, XCOM to XCOM 2 was a huge clean-up from a lot of the awfully designed grim-dark enemies of the original.

That said: the colours are not what people are taking issue with here.
  • The CO animations have gone slightly too far in their whimsicality.
  • Andy has gone from 'quietly confident college undergrad, studies engineering'-vibes to being a literal ten year old.
  • Olaf has transitioned from stoic, grizzled commander to dopey, "you God damn kids".
  • The voices are genuinely really unsuitable.
  • The infantry being identical on the battle-map stands out as pretty egregious.
I actually think the tabletop and battlefield animations are pretty good: but overall the CO designs are very regressive from the absolutely impeccable Dual Strike designs.

Olaf has transitioned from stoic, grizzled commander to dopey, "you God damn kids".

Christmas must have been wild in your household growing up. I don't think I've ever seen a person designed to look like Santa Claus described as "stoic and grizzled" before.

Andy was also always either a goddamn idiot or a child, lol.

mGBA_S6T2gi3ZVe-1024x683.png

I prefer the bright and distinct colours of Advance Wars to anything else. Likewise, XCOM to XCOM 2 was a huge clean-up from a lot of the awfully designed grim-dark enemies of the original.

• Andy has gone from 'quietly confident college undergrad, studies engineering'-vibes to being a literal ten year old.
  • Olaf has transitioned from stoic, grizzled commander to dopey, "you God damn kids".
  • The infantry being identical on the battle-map stands out as pretty egregious.
I actually think the tabletop and battlefield animations are pretty good: but overall the CO designs are very regressive from the absolutely impeccable Dual Strike designs.
...I mean my comment was more directed at people who are sniffy about Advance Wars artstyle in general rather than these specific remakes. But as you've brought it up, well I'm not going to knock people's personal preferences, but personally I really don't have an issue with the updated CO art and animations. I think they look clean and striking in the WayForward artstyle actually. Also, I think it's a bit premature to critique the character depictions and voices when the game isn't out yet and we've only seen snippets.

I'm sorry, what? Have you played the original games recently, or are you forming your opinion exclusively through nostalgia glasses?

Advance Wars was always like this. Even when trying to do more serious stuff, the heaviest you got was absolutely not beyond your average Saturday Morning Cartoon. Like, this isn't something you can argue for, at any point.

I never expected it to get cancelled, but I am pleasantly surprised that Nintendo is giving the game this much love in terms of marketing.

Now ship my pre-order Target!

I was initially baffled by your post but then I remembered that Dual Strike did have a more mature looking artstyle, and in those depictions the characters do look less cartoony then in the remake, and they also play more of a experienced veteran role in the campaign.

However, they're not remaking DS, they're remaking 1+2, and in those games both Andy and Olaf are as goofy as they come. It wouldn't make any sense to disregard the games they are remaking to depict the characters as they were in another game which is a sequel and happens years later in that universe. So it's still a weird thing to complain about.

Also we've barely heard any voices, it feels very soon to conclude they're unsuitable.

TLDR;
  • Great presentation in cutscenes, though in-game a bit bland
  • Unity Engine
  • 1080p (I take it's 720p for portable)
  • 30fps in map view with frame pacing issues
  • unlocked 60fps in battle view, however it runs anywhere between 30 and 60, though it doesn't affect the gameplay
  • map has up to four zoom levels
Guess that's the most important stuff.

Argh.

We can see when Nintendo does not care about their first party stuff when they let licensed developers to use 3rd party middleware, just like that Yoshi game.

Weird Middleware Fanboyism is one of the wildest things of current day gaming fandom.

What's so bad about it? Game runs fine, this is a turn based strategy game where moment to moment performance doesn't matter. Developers will use the tools that let them make the game they want with the time and resources they are given. We don't need every single project to use Nintendo's internal engines; especially the ones licensed out like this.

Honestly, I'd almost be tempted to play this, but like

I really, really dislike the art style, everything about it. At best, some characters look as good as they did in the originals, but a lot do not look great. And the whole board game motif does not work for me at all. They should have just done enhanced ports of the four AWs, make the online legitimately good, and called it a day (but do not charge $60 for it).

Why did Unity become a dirty word?
DUSK is one of the GOATs and it was made with it.

Any early copies escaped into the wild and had the full soundtrack ripped and uploaded to YouTube?

Hankering to hear those tasty remixes.

Waking up every day hoping for this.

I have in fact found some gameplay clips from random people on YouTube, though:

Weird Middleware Fanboyism is one of the wildest things of current day gaming fandom.

What's so bad about it? Game runs fine, this is a turn based strategy game where moment to moment performance doesn't matter. Developers will use the tools that let them make the game they want with the time and resources they are given. We don't need every single project to use Nintendo's internal engines; especially the ones licensed out like this.

Why are you being rude calling me a fanboy?
I have experience porting a game for the Switch, so unlike you, I know very well what I am talking about.

And it is a fact, that using 3rd party middlewares - because of their generalist nature - you will never reach 100% of the power of your closed console.

Try to argue like an adult next time, please.

Why are you being rude calling me a fanboy?
I have experience porting a game for the Switch, so unlike you, I know very well what I am talking about.

And it is a fact, that using 3rd party middlewares - because of their generalist nature - you will never reach 100% of the power of your closed console.

Try to argue like an adult next time, please.

This is utterly ridiculous. Since apparently you have experience in the field, you'd know instantly how completely absurd it is to even suggest foregoing industry standard middleware entirely for every use case when no sane person would ever suggest that.

I don't have an artist build a piano every time I want them to play a new song.

And in any case, it's not like Nintendo has been sitting on some secret internal perfect for a turn based strategy engine. Fire emblem engage was done with unity, and three houses was made with the Warriors game engine from Koei tecmo, which is emphatically not getting great performance out of any platform.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom