• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazi

picross pundit

Retailers have started to update their listings for Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp, and pre-orders are open.

Thanks to Amazon Canada, we now have the official boxart. You can see the packaging image above.

Those looking for Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp pre-orders in the US have a few options to choose from. It’s currently up on Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop.

advance-wars-1-2-rebikj05.jpeg

Last edited:
That is a beautiful box art!

I have played through half of 1 a few times but I don't think I ever made it to the end. I am looking forward to playing through both games come December.

It is nice to see Nintendo giving smaller franchises the spotlight!

I like the boxart a lot, very nice art. I do hope we see a trailer for extra modes outside of the campaigns at some point

Love that boxart.

I heard somewhere that this isn't currently planned for Japan and is a NoA endeavour. Is that true??

Interesting. Would be pretty wild if it never releases there. Maybe just a late localization. Wasn't the original Advance Wars released pretty late there? (Or was it the DS Advance Wars game?)
All of them. 1&2 was a double pack 2 years after western release. Days of ruin released on 3ds

Always high quality threads from the OP..
I had actually forgotten about this game....my poor wallet

Box Art looks amazing, I wish they went with that artstyle though but hey ...it's a "new" Advance War , it'll have to do

Say have we seen this multiplayer info before:
When you aren’t busy keeping the peace in one of the two campaign stories, flex your army-commanding chops in Versus Mode*. Up to four players can battle on dozens of maps. Each player chooses a CO from either campaign and can strategically use their CO Powers to turn the tides of battle. Customize your combat with options like funds per allied base and fog of war.

This is a great throwback to the original, and in fact is even more pleasing to look at. Nintendo box arts continue to be among the best.

As someone who hasn’t played the series, anyone wanna sell me on why people love it? Gameplay music story characters, how is everything?

Phenomenal box art. Literally could not be better imo. I am so excited for this.

As someone who hasn’t played the series, anyone wanna sell me on why people love it? Gameplay music story characters, how is everything?

For me it's all about the gameplay. The cool & cute characters are a plus.

Wargroove is the closest thing to Advance Wars on the Switch. Advance Wars is basically a simple tactics game that's really well balanced. Wargroove nailed the vibe but they didn't quite get the balance right.

So excited for this game; it's been forever since I've pIayed through these.

I wish this game had an asynchronous multiplayer mode; but I'm glad it at least has 4 player online support.

Love the boxart. One of my favorite Nintendo boxarts in a while. I also really liked the look of the game when they first showed it, but I know most people weren’t too fond of it so I’m curious of they changed anything.

I hope Nintendo releases a 3-4 minute informational video soon showing us some new features with this game. I'm really eager to see more of stuff like the War Room and Map Editor. I'm holding out hope that some improvements were made to the editor over the original games.

It was super disappinting not seeing this show up in the Direct last week.

The boxart is beautiful, hope the Switch icon is the same!

I've never played the series before, if I like Fire Emblem, will I like it? Is it similar in some ways?

That boxart is a throwback. I'm really looking forward to this game. Maybe Wayforward can take over make more of these games if this one is successful.

The boxart is beautiful, hope the Switch icon is the same!

I've never played the series before, if I like Fire Emblem, will I like it? Is it similar in some ways?
I mean if your troops are faceless and only the CO’s with battlefield powers(who aren’t on the battlefield)

I’m still not sure if this one’s worth the asking price for me. I’ve never played an Advance Wars game, but I do like Fire Emblem and strategy games in general - should I give it a shot?

I hope Nintendo releases a 3-4 minute informational video soon showing us some new features with this game. I'm really eager to see more of stuff like the War Room and Map Editor. I'm holding out hope that some improvements were made to the editor over the original games.

It was super disappinting not seeing this show up in the Direct last week.
I am expecting more news this month. I figure right now they are 100% on Metroid with a sprinkling of Mario Party news. After we hit mid-October I'm expecting more news and marketing for this game.

I agree that it was a bummer not being in the direct There could have been a nice little reminder that the game was coming out in December.

I've also never played an Advanced Wars game. Closest I suppose is Into The Breach? Dunno. Is there a good tutorial?

That is a beautiful box art!

I have played through half of 1 a few times but I don't think I ever made it to the end. I am looking forward to playing through both games come December.

It is nice to see Nintendo giving smaller franchises the spotlight!
I got to the final boss but could never ever beat him. I have the cart somewhere so I should dig it out and have another go

I'm massively excited for this and love the boxart so much I'm genuinely tempted to swap to a physical copy. I'll have to keep an eye on physical bonuses for UK preorders - if they come with a poster with this art (HINT HINT), I might have to swap from voucher to physical copy.

That'll leave an NSO voucher to use by late April, but whatever.

Sentimental story: Advance Wars is the case of 12 year old me buying a game based entirely on how much I loved the boxart. It just spoke to my brain and I 100% needed to get it. I bought it at a supermarket without realising that the issue of Gamesmaster I was also buying had a review of the game where they awarded it 95%. So this boxart being such a gorgeous reinterpretation of the original art means I need it.

Really hope we end seeing more news on this when dread releases because I would love to see what they did with AW 2

Has there been any mention of War Room? It might just be me, as an old, decrepit, semi-functioning crank, but I haven't seen any mention of that. Campaign and Versus have been mentioned, as has online. What about Map Maker and War Room, though?

Also interested to see if Reboot Camp is just a clever name or if this takes the story in a new direction.

Man that box art really takes me back, they did a great job keeping the overall classic look while adjusting the details for the remake. I am very excited to pick up a copy when this releases, the Advance wars series was always one of my favourite of Nintendo's B tier franchises ( Talking about fame/success not quality ). I didn't love the new look of the in game models when this was first revealed ( I agreed with many that it had a kinda cheap overly plastic looking finish ) but overall looking at it again they did a pretty decent job with the actual vehicles and backgrounds, it is just the infantry and soldiers popping out of tanks etc. that still look pretty bad to me.

However unlike some others I don't mind the new CO art and redesigns, I'd be hard pressed to say they are as good or better than the originals, they have a different feel than the originals of course. But I feel they do a good job conveying the personality at a glance and I really like the little animation flourishes.

I really, really hope this remake does well enough to continue the series, hopefully WayForwrad and Intelligent Systems can collaborate more closely ( and get a bit more of a budget ) in the future.

I’ve only played Intelligent Systems Fire Emblem games but Advanced Wars has always interested me so I’ll probably will pick this up. Gameplay looks right up my alley

I've also never played an Advanced Wars game. Closest I suppose is Into The Breach? Dunno. Is there a good tutorial?
If the game is a full, straight remake, then there should be a tutorial in both games actually. The one in 2 feels more natural, but it's kind of a pain when you already know what you're doing.

I’ve only played Intelligent Systems Fire Emblem games but Advanced Wars has always interested me so I’ll probably will pick this up. Gameplay looks right up my alley
They are pretty different gameplay loops. Fire Emblem is far more focused on character progression and unit by unit tactics and resource management over a long campaign. Advance Wars is much more about the entire battlefield, balancing multiple objectives and maintaining a resource and unit lead over your opponent. Both are good in their own ways, with AW being way more analogous to a chess board whereas FE is more like a tabletop RPG

I love everything about Advance Wars, the only problem is I hate SRPGs. Put in a solid 30+ into Dual Strike and Days of Ruin, but simply couldn't get into the gameplay too much.

Hope fans enjoy this one, in comparison to what they got in previous years, I'm sure this + Wargroove should be exciting. I wonder if Nintendo is using this is a way to "check for interest" into a possible new entry in the franchise.

With its odd omission in the last Nintendo Direct, I suppose random Twitter drops are going to be the only kind of marketing this game will receive leading up to December.

What do you guys think about those "leaks" that were floating around a few weeks ago? Mangs even made a video about them. They're not super dramatic which makes them more believable for me (Except that VA list lol)

1) There will be partial voice acting for things like CO Powers and certain key lines in the Campaign. Some names listed are Veronica Tyler as Andy, Aaron Hanson as Max, Matthew Mercer as Grit, and Laura Bailey as Colin.

2) In War Room, you’ll have the option to play by AW1 or AW2 rules. AW1 rules disable Super CO Powers and Neotanks. It’s unclear if AW2 COs will have an “AW1” version in Vs Mode.

3) Online Multiplayer will be present, but has yet to tested. Most of the development has gone to fixing bugs for Singleplayer and Local Co-Op.

4) You will be able to create and share custom maps, but will not be able to play them online.

5) The topic of heavy debate, the game is expected to receive some light balance changes. At the very least, Max is nerfed down to his AW2 D2D, and Eagle will work kinda like he does in DS; Lightning Drive will let him command his non-Soldier units again but nerf them, and Lightning Strike will let him command his non-Soldier units and buff his Air Units.

6) There will be three difficulties: Casual, Classic, and Challenging. The AI has also been updated such that it gets more intelligent as the campaigns go on. This may lead to Challenging being even harder than the Advanced Campaign.

7) The CO themes have been remastered. In addition, whenever a CO activates a CO Power, a more upbeat, aggressive version of their theme will play for the turn. The video was unclear if there is a third theme for Super CO Powers.

8) Clone Andy will be his own character. Mechanically he will be the same, but he’ll have blue eyes and Orange Star troops with Blue Skin. He has actual character and he has a unique CO Power animation. You can play him in Vs Mode.

9) Many COs have been redesigned from the Original Trilogy. Sami has been changed to be more like a Commando since launched, Sonja will have glasses and be pretty cocky, Flak will be absurdly muscular, Lash will be a “sexy goth”, Adder will be much scarier, and Sturm will be kinda like AW2 meets Darth Vader. Also Sturm blows smoke out of his mask when he uses his CO Power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom