• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you being rude calling me a fanboy?
I have experience porting a game for the Switch, so unlike you, I know very well what I am talking about.

And it is a fact, that using 3rd party middlewares - because of their generalist nature - you will never reach 100% of the power of your closed console.

Try to argue like an adult next time, please.
Unity isn't something to be angry about it itself. Fire Emblem Engage was made in Unity. Not every game needs to strive to push the limits of the hardware.

I have experience porting a game for the Switch, so unlike you, I know very well what I am talking about.

And it is a fact, that using 3rd party middlewares - because of their generalist nature - you will never reach 100% of the power of your closed console.

Okay, let's argue like "adults", then.

You're asking Nintendo to lend one of their internal engines to a third party studio. Not even going into how many different layers of bureaucracy that would imply, since it is an internal middleware not meant for outside use and there'd be thousands of non disclosure agreements and overseeing to be had there; they'd basically have to learn how to use a completely new tool that they might as well not use ever again, for a single game, which also very likely has no documentation ever intended to be read by anyone outside of the company.

This, for a game that has been outsourced very likely because Nintendo doesn't feel they have the internal resources to develop in-house, in which keeping cost and dev time down is absolutely vital; and the most reasonable scenario is just letting the third party studio use whatever tools they have more experience with, in this case Unity.

And they need to do this so a turn based strategy game with stylized cartoon visuals uses "100% of the power of the console", because in this situation that makes absolute sense. Which is some hazy unexplainable concept that makes your argument sound, in the entire context of the situation, like a complete emotional preference based in no way in hard facts. Thus, yes, fanboyism.

I have no reason to doubt you have experience porting games to the Switch, but forgive me if I have serious doubts on the "knowing what you're talking about" part.

No you see Nintendo games using Unity is like Goku using Kaio-Ken, Nintendo games using LunchPack is like Goku going Super Saiyan

How dare way forward not use the RAW POWER of the switch to its full extent for their mid budget gba remake! I'm the adult here for being angry about this!

isn't this basically all they were getting at? it's a low priority project
Again though, engine choice isn't a reflection of Nintendo's priorities. Fire Emblem Engage was made in Unity, which was a choice made by Intelligent Systems, just like Three Houses was made using KT's internal Musou engine.

Okay, let's argue like "adults", then.

You're asking Nintendo to lend one of their internal engines to a third party studio. Not even going into how many different layers of bureaucracy that would imply, since it is an internal middleware not meant for outside use and there'd be thousands of non disclosure agreements and overseeing to be had there; they'd basically have to learn how to use a completely new tool that they might as well not use ever again, for a single game, which also very likely has no documentation ever intended to be read by anyone outside of the company.

This, for a game that has been outsourced very likely because Nintendo doesn't feel they have the internal resources to develop in-house, in which keeping cost and dev time down is absolutely vital; and the most reasonable scenario is just letting the third party studio use whatever tools they have more experience with, in this case Unity.

And they need to do this so a turn based strategy game with stylized cartoon visuals uses "100% of the power of the console", because in this situation that makes absolute sense. Which is some hazy unexplainable concept that makes your argument sound, in the entire context of the situation, like a complete emotional preference based in no way in hard facts. Thus, yes, fanboyism.

I have no reason to doubt you have experience porting games to the Switch, but forgive me if I have serious doubts on the "knowing what you're talking about" part.
All of this. Why would Nintendo give WayForward their own engine when the reason they outsourced it is likely WayForward’s pitch of what they could do with their own expertise, including what they were familiar with. Nintendo doesn’t go ‘make our game! And you must use our engine to unleash the full power of the Switch!’.
I think it's that they said “We can see when Nintendo does not care about their first party stuff when they let licensed developers to use 3rd party middleware, just like that Yoshi game.”

As in an argument about it only being made with Unity due to Nintendo ‘not caring’ rather than WayForward doing it to a budget with the tools they were familiar with due to their expertise in taking on other licensed small projects. WayForward having to relearn a new engine for a one-off contract might well have made it not worth doing for them.

Last edited:

It's a low priority project that has been done with the tools the entire situation demanded. That doesn't mean "Nintendo doesn't care". If they didn't care they wouldn't even have made the game, lol

Could be talking about that sick Lash remix but Unity this and Nintendo that

sighs heavily

I never thought of myself as someone capable of appreciating the simple things in life until I've become familiarized with gaming online discourse.

I think Petaya Berry is behaving like a mid-tier troll. Have a look at their other posts elsewhere. It's difficult to do so as they have hidden their profile but they just seem to enjoy being the contrarian.

I apologise if saying this breaks a rule but it is annoying when positive threads get derailed like this.

One day to go! Arghhhhhhh I'm excited.

Gutted I wasn't able to finish Dust: An Elysian Tale in time for launch so unfortunately it will have to go on a temporary back burner.

Unity is an odd choice for Wayforward, considering that they already have their own in-house engine tech anyway (Engine Black). But it's fine. It's not the most performant game in the world, but it's a turn-based strategy game; it doesn't need to be. It just needs to be clear and legible.

Funny thing, I have a physical copy of the game and tried to collect the gold points for it, only to be given an error message that the timeframe to claim the gold points has expired. (For those who don't know, if you buy physical you only have one year from the game's release date to claim gold points from it.)

It's been over a year since the game's original release date, so I guess they either forgot or are unable to update the timeframe to claim gold points from the physical version. Oops!

Funny thing, I have a physical copy of the game and tried to collect the gold points for it, only to be given an error message that the timeframe to claim the gold points has expired. (For those who don't know, if you buy physical you only have one year from the game's release date to claim gold points from it.)

It's been over a year since the game's original release date, so I guess they either forgot or are unable to update the timeframe to claim gold points from the physical version. Oops!

Oops indeed! Might be worth messaging customer service? Hopefully something that can be easily fixed. I know it's only 1% but every little helps, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom