• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not an ideal time, coming so close to Zelda. Earlier in April would've been much better - at least give people a month...
Not everyone plays every game that Nintendo puts out on day 1, I suspect the crossover of players buying both at launch will be fairly small, just like any other two games in different genres. If anything, I think Advance Wars is lucky in a way to have escaped the crush of Diofield, Tactics Ogre, Front Mission and Fire Emblem all launching within 4 months of each other.

Even as someone who is likely to pick up both AW and Zelda at launch, it’s easy enough to get through an AW campaign of two dozen missions in a month. The campaigns just aren’t that long, it’s not like an rpg where you can easily string it out for an extra 30 hours depending on your play style. I’ll likely play an AW campaign or two, then Zelda, then go back to the War Room and online play afterwards.

Thinking of doing the same, I just need to let go of that beautiful cover art.

Yeah I had kind of wanted the physical because I still have the physical of the first four games, but this is one of those games I want to always have accessible at the press of a button without having to fiddle around with cartridges.

And Zelda is a no brainer with the extra $10 savings.

previews

Hoping to see a bit more marketing from Nintendo. I feel like nobody is talking about the game.

The rearrenged soundtrack sounds incredible. AW has a legendary soundtrack, some of the best pieces of game music out there, so it was really important that they got it right. I think the instrumentation is on point, and I love how they made it more dynamic, changing when in battle scenes, CO Power active etc.

I'm not a fun of muting some instruments when a menu is open, it's a neat idea but I think it interrupts the flow of the music too much. It's also made without any kind of transition and sounds jarring when you're opening and closing the menu in a short lapse.

They also fixed the loading time between map and battle scene, it's now more or less the same time it was on the GBA and the sped up option is basically instant.

Last edited:
The wegotthiscovered.com preview has some side-by-side comparasion shots between the original GBA games and the remakes. I'm by no means a "OLD THING GOOD, NEW THING BAD!!" kinda guy, but I definitely prefer the GBA aesthetic.

The wegotthiscovered.com preview has some side-by-side comparasion shots between the original GBA games and the remakes. I'm by no means a "OLD THING GOOD, NEW THING BAD!!" kinda guy, but I definitely prefer the GBA aesthetic.

Yeah, I'm excited for the game, but I can't say it looks great. Like, I'm trying my best to be positive about it and just accept that it's different, but it just continues to bother me. I think the battle scenes look fine now, but the map looks very cheap. It does not have great art direction like the GBA games had, the originals do look much better. Still, it looks serviceable, and I'm trying to focus on other positives like the updated soundtrack, online play, availability on modern hardware etc.

It's hard to believe that this is the month! But it's almost here...

I like the artstyle by the way. Also the battle closeups make it super obvious they used the Japanese box art/promo art for inspiration

D7kVDa4WkAAhgLm.jpg

Music sounds lovely. Does this have matchmaking with randoms or asynchronous multiplayer?

From the previews, it sounds like online is 1v1 with Friends Only and Real-time only (no asyncronous multi).

Local multiplayer is the same as the original. Up to 4 players on same console and via Local Wireless.

This means that the GBA NSO releases will actually have a more fully featured online suite when they eventually come to the service, lol.

From the previews, it sounds like online is 1v1 with Friends Only and Real-time only (no asyncronous multi).

Local multiplayer is the same as the original. Up to 4 players on same console and via Local Wireless.

This means that the GBA NSO releases will actually have a more fully featured online suite when they eventually come to the service, lol.
I remember playing multiplayer Dual Strike and it was...not fun.

When are the forums going back to normal? It was fun for April Fools but is very difficult to tell the updated threads from the already read ones.

Anyway, previews seem positive so far.

Click the bottom left of the web page to change the theme.

When are the forums going back to normal? It was fun for April Fools but is very difficult to tell the updated threads from the already read ones.

Anyway, previews seem positive so far.
If you look at the bottom of the page you’ll see your current theme with a paintbrush icon next to it, just click to change it

Segaboards for life

Only multiplayer deets we have is up to 4 players same system/local wireless and online is 1v1 with an emblem/record system

Thank you both.

Did they change the name of Yellow Comet or is this some America vs EU naming thing again? Other than that I'm happy the game is returning

Did they change the name of Yellow Comet or is this some America vs EU naming thing again? Other than that I'm happy the game is returning

Nope, they have indeed changed the name in both US and EU regions (it was always Yellow Comet in both EU and US versions, but is now Gold Comet for some strange reason).

No I have no idea why they changed the name.

Now, the real question is what will they do with the Black Hole Cos in AW2? Will they use the US region names everywhere like I suspect they will? (Hawke and Flak), or will they reintroduce those awful NOE names that nobody likes? (Maverick and Helmut).

I'm not at all surprised by the previews since it's not like they would've changed the game at all, but the ingame aesthetic (not so much the Wayforward artsyle...) is definitely growing on me. A little disappointed by the MP options, but I'm still excited for this. We should try and get some sort of a league going

Last edited:
I wished for asynchronous online multiplayer, but I'm happy we are getting any at all.

I'll probably include something about multiplayer organization in the StarTopic.

They also fixed the loading time between map and battle scene, it's now more or less the same time it was on the GBA and the sped up option is basically instant.
I noticed that improvement too watching the NL video, but I do wish it was a better transition than just a black screen, albeit one that is displayed for only a brief period now.

Overall though I think having watched one preview it looks great! 😍

Have not played the first game game since 2003, so it'll be kinda like an anniversary release for me.

I'm so sad about, it looks amazing and they're 2 of my favourites gba games ever, but it's coming out in a bad period for me and I don't think I can spend 60€ for it.
Which is a shame because if it came out last april I would have been all over it.

I've bit the bullet and put my digital pre-order in. I used a 5% off (sadly used to be 10%) discount code provided by YouTube channel I watch to purchase an eShop voucher and then bought the 2 for £84 Membership Game Voucher, snagging the Famicom Detective Club games in the process.

The icon doesn't appear on the home screen but maybe it will closer to release to tease me?

I've only ever preordered one other game on the eShop and that was Link's Awakening.

I'm so sad about, it looks amazing and they're 2 of my favourites gba games ever, but it's coming out in a bad period for me and I don't think I can spend 60€ for it.
Which is a shame because if it came out last april I would have been all over it.
They'll always be there and who knows you might hit a sale along the road in a few months.

Soundtrack's so good I need it now. Can't wait for Sami, Eagle, Lash and Jess music.

Eagerly waiting for Lash and Jess music too.

I'm also liking a lot the little dynamic music touches here and there, like the added drums during the battle cutscenes and the sort of sparklier music during CO powers.

Wondering if they actually kept the CO power specific music when playing the AW2 campaign or they will just use the new style for both.

Not a fan of the art style, also surprised they've not made at any attempt of diversifying the unit models.
What kind of diversifying are we talking about? Because, yeah, we have different soldier models with different ethnicities and features that are very different from one faction to the other.

But they did, we can see soldier of different ethnicities in the battle scenes.

What kind of diversifying are we talking about? Because, yeah, we have different soldier models with different ethnicities and features that are very different from one faction to the other.

Do you know of any videos/timestamps where I can see this? I can see that the, for example, infantry models have different looks between different factions, I'm talking about diversity within those factions.

I don't know how much time I will get in before Zelda, but I am really looking forward to playing this. The hype seems to be building for Advance Wars.

Got the preorder reminder email today, I'm pumped! My first Advance Wars game. I only started trying out and playing tactics games in the last few years but I've really been enjoying them so can't wait to dive into these games that people love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom