• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the preorder reminder email today, I'm pumped! My first Advance Wars game. I only started trying out and playing tactics games in the last few years but I've really been enjoying them so can't wait to dive into these games that people love.
You're in for a treat, these games are pure strategy and you'll have a blast. So glad a new generation of gamers get to play these amazing games.

A friendly reminder to those on the fence, these games are amazing, coming from someone who spengt an obscene amount of time playing them the first time around. I'm truly envious of those who get to experience them for the first time

This game looks really awesome. I have never played an Advance Wars game before, and I have two vouchers (one is reserved for TotK). I'm trying to decide if I will use it on this game or on Pikmin 4.

See, they were right. They shadowdropped Advance Wars 1+2... overview trailer.

EDIT:

ksqEXCF.png

Did they remove one-turn capture from Sami's CO Power?

Last edited:

Alright, okay, the game looks great, I'm finally convinced about the graphics. We have a new Advance Wars coming, folks, this is so fucking hype!

There are still little details that I don't like, like Lash's design or how the Black Hole infantry looks, but the game is looking like a great way to revitalize Advance Wars. It's heart is in the right place and it's clear Wayforward love and respect the franchise, I really really hope this does well enough to warrant more games.

Buy the game, everyone!

Got the preorder reminder email today, I'm pumped! My first Advance Wars game. I only started trying out and playing tactics games in the last few years but I've really been enjoying them so can't wait to dive into these games that people love.

This game looks really awesome. I have never played an Advance Wars game before, and I have two vouchers (one is reserved for TotK). I'm trying to decide if I will use it on this game or on Pikmin 4.

Advance Wars is single handedly the best thing I've ever played when it comes to grid based strategy games. It's fun, it's addictive, it looks and sounds exciting and uplifting, and just has a lot of soul put into it.

I've seen once that they have the highest discrenpancy between critics reception and sales in all of Nintendo franchises. All of them have excellent scores on metacritic, and I've honestly never seen anyone online saying they played the games and didn't like them.

You won't regret playing this.

Last edited:
IIRC this is her AW2 CO power, all the infantry under her command always capture at 1.5 rate in 2

Okay, so I might be misremembering how Sami worked. Correct me if I'm wrong:
  • Her infantry always has 1.5 capture rate in both games
  • In AW1, her CO power gives her 1-turn capture with any amount of HP.
  • In AW2, her CO power was just infantry buffs, and 1-turn capture with any amount of HP is a SCO power feature
Now the thing is... that screencap is from the AW1 campaign in Reboot Camp (You can tell because they use different CO power meters in the trailer for AW1 and AW2 "rulesets", like in the original games). Does this mean they just made everyone's CO power in AW1 "rules" be their AW2 CO power?

Like, it would make sense if they are rebalancing and streamlining stuff across campaigns, honestly. It's just gonna be weird to go through the entire AW1 campaign without one turn capture.

EDIT: OKAY NEVERMIND apparently Sami never had one turn capture in AW1??

I've been hesitant to jump into Fire Emblem, which I know little about, due to the repeated delays of the Advance Wars remakes, and I'm glad I waited, as WayForward's modernization looks excellent. I can't wait to play it.

Okay, so I might be misremembering how Sami worked. Correct me if I'm wrong:
  • Her infantry always has 1.5 capture rate in both games
  • In AW1, her CO power gives her 1-turn capture with any amount of HP.
  • In AW2, her CO power was just infantry buffs, and 1-turn capture with any amount of HP is a SCO power feature
Now the thing is... that screencap is from the AW1 campaign in Reboot Camp (You can tell because they use different CO power meters in the trailer for AW1 and AW2 "rulesets", like in the original games). Does this mean they just made everyone's CO power in AW1 "rules" be their AW2 CO power?

Like, it would make sense if they are rebalancing and streamlining stuff across campaigns, honestly. It's just gonna be weird to go through the entire AW1 campaign without one turn I

It's been a long time since I played so went directly to gamefaqs and all of her units capture at 1.5, in both games, and only her Super CO power in 2 is the one that captures bases in 1 day regarding of HP

It's been a long time since I played so went directly to gamefaqs and all of her units capture at 1.5, in both games, and only her Super CO power in 2 is the one that captures bases in 1 day regarding of HP

Yeah don't mind me, I absolutely forgot how she worked in AW1 lol

Yeah don't mind me, I absolutely forgot how she worked in AW1 lol
Yeah I was doubting myself too since the last time I played the games where when they launched originally. With that said looking at the faqs the did modify the bonus. In 1 she got 28% of firepower gain, since the games round up that's 150% fire power when activated. The description here says she gains + 35 firepower, so assuming her infantry still has 20% of bonus, that's 55%

Having played AW1 (and only parts of AW2), if you are a campain type of player, and if the campain of pikmin 4 is not much longer then P3D, then AW1+2 will be a way better value.
If you include side modes its a toss up, nobody knows how expansive P4s whole package will be.

Gameplay: for AW (if they did not mess it up), its just really fun if you like turn and grid based strategy games. P4 is probably more of the "same" you presumably already know.

the price of AW1+2 will probably fall faster with retailers then P4, but thats pure speculation.
I would at least wait for reviews.
i would say, see how your finances and time is, and if its fine currently and you have the time might as well give AW a try.

Will this eventually get a Japanese localisation? I was surprised to read it is skipping Japan, and yeah I'm aware previous entries didn't exactly fly off the shelves over there because of delays and all that, but still...

I wonder if they'll bring it across if it meets expectations elsewhere? And what are those expectations? I'm sure we're all hoping for a brand new entry in the future.

I think this is going to whet my appetite to dust off my DSi XL and play through Dual Strike and Days of Ruin. 🙂

Really digging the redesigned Black Hole warships - makes them look appropriately unlike the other nations. Haven't watched with the sound on yet, so I'll have to rewatch so I can vicariously sample some of the remixed OST.

Also gonna have to really push ahead with Chained Echoes before this releases, so I can aim to get at least the first campaign done before Zelda.

Looks amazing. I skipped fire emblem for this and it looks much better.
Just waiting for the scores to use my voucher.

Will this eventually get a Japanese localisation? I was surprised to read it is skipping Japan, and yeah I'm aware previous entries didn't exactly fly off the shelves over there because of delays and all that, but still...

I wonder if they'll bring it across if it meets expectations elsewhere? And what are those expectations? I'm sure we're all hoping for a brand new entry in the future.

I think this is going to whet my appetite to dust off my DSi XL and play through Dual Strike and Days of Ruin. 🙂
Maybe if it sold better than expected, NCL might convinced to make a Japanese version. But they'll face one problem that is the original character designs for AW1 were quite different in Japan compared to the west, which is what the remake based on. (basically the Japanese version have more of a stereotypes design, while the west scale it down to make it more realistic military design)

I don't think it's a showstopper though, they could change it based on the Japanese version, or kept the designs as is.

Maybe if it sold better than expected, NCL might convinced to make a Japanese version. But they'll face one problem that is the original character designs for AW1 were quite different in Japan compared to the west, which is what the remake based on. (basically the Japanese version have more of a stereotypes design, while the west scale it down to make it more realistic military design)

I don't think it's a showstopper though, they could change it based on the Japanese version, or kept the designs as is.

The remake already is a mix of both japanese and western designs, so I doubt that's a problem.

I know I'm being a bit picky here, but It's the other way around, the west didn't scale anything down, advance wars 1/2 came way earlier in NA/EU than Japan and they pushed a bunch of more stereotypical things in to the Japanese release for some reason.

Last edited:
I know I'm being a bit picky here, but It's the other way around, the west didn't scale anything down, advance wars 1/2 came way earlier in NA/EU than Japan and they pushed a bunch of more stereotypical things in to the Japanese release for some reason.
No, the designs like Samurai Kanbei were the original versions created by Ryo Hirota for the game, NoA had the designs changed for the western release.
D5Xv7MWVUAEAMZD

Could always be a Japan only expansion pack bonus in a year or two

It was always mistfying to me why AW isn't popular in Japan. It's a grid turn based strategy game with quirky colorful anime characters, if anything it should have struggled to be popular on the west, not in Japan.

The only reason the Japanese release was so much later was because it was given an indefinite delay due to real world events.

It was always mistfying to me why AW isn't popular in Japan. It's a grid turn based strategy game with quirky colorful anime characters, if anything it should have struggled to be popular on the west, not in Japan.

For the US, it was the first game in the series. For Japan, it was, what, the 7th? There was just less novelty to the franchise by then, even if the release itself is/was regarded as better than the previous games in the long running franchise.

For the US, it was the first game in the series. For Japan, it was, what, the 7th? There was just less novelty to the franchise by then, even if the release itself is/was regarded as better than the previous games in the long running franchise.
Yeah, by the time Advance Wars released, there had already been Famicom Wars, Super Famicom Wars, and Game Boy Wars, all made by IS, and then three more Game Boy Wars titles developed by Hudson when the series was licensed out to them.

Also important to note, I believe Advance Wars was the first entry that had actual characters and a story.

This is a very complete product right ? Both full campaigns, war room, create and design your maps, etc.
Yes it is feature complete to both previous games with the addition of: fast forward for animations, reset turn, streamlined tutorial(original was a drag), a ton of new animations, VA and online multiplayer. Local and same system multiplayer with up to 4 players is intact as well

Bill still works at NOA doesn't he? It's encouraging to see enthusiasm for the series from one of their higher ups. Gives hope that if NOA take initiative for the series and can produce them in a cost effective way, the series may still have a future. Think the push is definitely going to have to come from the American arm as opposed to the Japanese one.

Bill still works at NOA doesn't he? It's encouraging to see enthusiasm for the series from one of their higher ups. Gives hope that if NOA take initiative for the series and can produce them in a cost effective way, the series may still have a future. Think the push is definitely going to have to come from the American arm as opposed to the Japanese one.
Oh yes, he does. He was promoted very recently to higher position.

Oh yes, he does. He was promoted very recently to higher position.
Thought so, but I lost track of the comings and goings at NOA a while ago. Still, a vote of confidence in Advance Wars from one of their bigwigs, even in an unofficial capacity, is encouraging.

God I hope this game sells

I was thinking that reboot camp was a familiarization litmus test for Wayforward like Samus returns was for Mercury steam and dread. Tho with the delays I do wonder if an original game is already in production or what the thresholds would be

Yeah, by the time Advance Wars released, there had already been Famicom Wars, Super Famicom Wars, and Game Boy Wars, all made by IS, and then three more Game Boy Wars titles developed by Hudson when the series was licensed out to them.

Also important to note, I believe Advance Wars was the first entry that had actual characters and a story.
Important to note that R&D1 heavily co developed the NES and Game Boy Wars titles. They did the all design, art, and music, IS only did the programming.

The game concept itself came from Satoru Okada. It’s arguable that R&D1 created the game with IS becoming the lead developer much later on.

I was thinking that reboot camp was a familiarization litmus test for Wayforward like Samus returns was for Mercury steam and dread. Tho with the delays I do wonder if an original game is already in production or what the thresholds would be
I think that's definitely the plan, if WayForward are happy to take the franchise on long term and it's well received. I just think that with everything that's happened those at the top of the chain may need a bit more convincing to take a punt on footing the bill for another. Good to solid sales somewhere between 500k to 1 million should be enough I reckon.

Are there any details about what Casual Mode changes? I haven't had a ton of luck finding a breakdown in my brief googling, and the only way I could see myself playing these games in the future is if I can tone down the difficulty to be rather forgiving.

Important to note that R&D1 heavily co developed the NES and Game Boy Wars titles. They did the all design, art, and music, IS only did the programming.

The game concept itself came from Satoru Okada. It’s arguable that R&D1 created the game with IS becoming the lead developer much later on.

I thought they were only involved in the first GB Wars. Weren't the others (along with the cancelled 64 Wars) completely handled by Hudson Soft?

I think slotting AW close to Zelda was actually a smart move. A lot of people will buy Zelda with vouchers since it's 70 dollars, and they will be looking for another game to spend the other voucher on. I know I will be doing that, although I would be buying AW either way.

I think that I will buy only for the War Room, and if I understood the last trailer right, there is some sorte of online rankings. I want a new game (or at least launch the NES and SNES versions in the NSO).

Too bad that there is not online against randoms. But Days of Ruin had and a lot of people rage quit after 10 or more minutes and it seems that Nintendo does not want this anymore (same way that Shadow Dragon had online PvP and never again).

Wouldn't surprise me, WayForward is a very busy / productive studio putting out multiple games every year and with Lunark out now and this Advance Wars having been finished development for over a year, they don't actually have any announced projects right now. They're obviously working on something they can't talk about.

StarTopic will be up this weekend! Unfortunately, it was a busier week than anticipated and I couldn't finish it by today.

My payment has been taken (my voucher redeemed at least). Excited to see the icon on my home screen when I got back from work. I'm wondering if it's downloading as I type.

7 days.

I think that I will buy only for the War Room, and if I understood the last trailer right, there is some sorte of online rankings. I want a new game (or at least launch the NES and SNES versions in the NSO).

Too bad that there is not online against randoms. But Days of Ruin had and a lot of people rage quit after 10 or more minutes and it seems that Nintendo does not want this anymore (same way that Shadow Dragon had online PvP and never again).
Fire Emblem Engage has some good ideas on how to do multiplayer. It's just that it's all asynchronous and not live head to head.

Me voucher's been pinched, innit!*

Gonna check my Switch and see if it's downloaded.

*redeemed by Nintendo for my Advance Wars preorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom