• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic YAKUZA / LIKE A DRAGON COMMUNITY |ST| A FAMIBOARDS CLAN SUBSIDIARY

Speaking of reused maps: I do know that the Sotenbori featured in 7 is a direct asset flip of Kiwami 2's Sotenbori, which would normally be understandable, only there's a whole 13 years that have passed in-universe! At least change the ads and signs, RGGS. I'm hoping for an era appropriate version in Gaiden.
So I’m the kinda freak who loves just holding that “role-play slow walk” button and wandering around the streets of these games, and LAD just copy-paste reusing the K2 Sotenbori map was such a huge bummer. I really do hope it gets a fresh coat of paint for Gaiden, continuity with the 2006-era Sotenbori in LAD be damned

you know I had to
IMG-0314.png

Hope they confirm an English dub soon, they've been so good.

The Castle is also the coolest looking location in any RGG game yet, absolutely stunning.

I'm still not very on board with playing our man Kiryu again, but of course this is a day one buy for me, it looks so good and hopefully they'll find a good story for his return!

Love the gadget combat style with "Agent mode", looks like a lot of fun!
Though yeah, it is a bit weird playing Kiryu again.

Can’t imagine ever wanting to play a LAD game without the original voices
That was my initial first thought at too (even played Judgment in Japanese when I first played it) but I tried out the dub in 7 and never looked back. Fantastic voice acting on both sides.

Speaking of reused maps: I do know that the Sotenbori featured in 7 is a direct asset flip of Kiwami 2's Sotenbori, which would normally be understandable, only there's a whole 13 years that have passed in-universe! At least change the ads and signs, RGGS.
that was actually my first thought when i saw the leaked screenshots.
Like-a-Dragon-Gaiden-The-Man-Who-Erased-His-Name_2023_06-08-23_006.jpg

depending on how much of the timeline they're covering. SEGA is still promoting Virtua Fighter 5 as late as 2023.

Bummer for physical collectors. Maybe they can sell a poster of that art for those who want it

I’ll still get it regardless, but darn both Alan Wake II and Like A Dragon Gaiden this year skipping physical really stinks! Don’t care if it is limited run, make it happen :/

If they’re not doing physical in the US, I can kiss a physical version goodbye in the EU.

Still looking good!

I assume there’ll be an Asian physical edition, maybe a Japanese one as well, so there’s still hope for you physical collectors

DID NOT HAVE ICHIBAN ASS ON MY BINGO CARD
When looking for the trailer on Twitter the first tweet that popped was you being surprised that he was naked – and I don't even follow you on Twitter lmao

Assuming that it is indeed Hawaii in the trailer, I 100% expect immigration to be one of the big concepts this game tackles, which would be really cool.

They never should have dropped the numbers. It was always obvious we’d have confusion from this.

Yes, it’s dumb and I really hope it won’t hurt the sales of the game. I don’t get what they didn’t went with « Like a Dragon 2 », if they really feel that LaD is a new start for the franchise in the west.

Like A Dragon 2 would just enter a Final Fantasy 3 confusion level, since "Like A Dragon 2" would just be Yakuza 2 in Japanese and not Yakuza 8.

If they wanted to rebrand, they should just had done the Final Fantasy way an continued with "Like A Dragon 8" to align it with the Japanese name.

It's dumb but I feel like most western fans will just continue to call it Yakuza 8 anyway.

If they're so insistent on the subtitle just go with Like A Dragon 8: Infinite Wealth over here...

If they're so insistent on the subtitle just go with Like A Dragon 8: Infinite Wealth over here...
To be fair, the average pundit won't understand the play order of games like Yakuka Zero, Yakuza Kiwami, Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Like a Dragon Ishin, Judgment, and Lost Judgement without interrogating the internet anyway.

I think the name is fine. There’s going to be confusion no matter what, going with a subtitle helps differentiate it from the Kiryu saga while also making it quite a bit less intimidating for those who’ve only played Like a Dragon 7.

At the very least, dropping LAD8 as the title was a smart move. That was never gonna work.

I'm just happy that RGG Studio is wearing a pride flag on their profile picture.
Apparently SEGA as a whole is a strong supporter of LGBTQ+ rights and a great place to work as an LGBTQ+!

I think the name is fine. There’s going to be confusion no matter what, going with a subtitle helps differentiate it from the Kiryu saga while also making it quite a bit less intimidating for those who’ve only played Like a Dragon 7.

At the very least, dropping LAD8 as the title was a smart move. That was never gonna work.
I can't wait until they go full circle in LAD10 and call it Like A Dragon: Yakuza

Changing the western series name from Yakuza to Like a Dragon was a stupid choice that needless complicates things
(also it makes my digital libraries messier)

Changing the western series name from Yakuza to Like a Dragon was a stupid choice that needless complicates things
(also it makes my digital libraries messier)
I do agree with the digital library problem (more reason console makers should let us sort our games how we want!) but also it’s weird to have a series called Yakuza where the characters are less and less involved with the Yakuza.

to the point where the yakuza no longer exist

the other thing about the original series name is that it's a holdover from the time period the first game launched in.

the early 2000s were a place where countless developers were making gritty crime titles to compete with Grand Theft Auto. usually following the same template of open worlds and hiring actors that don't typically appear in video games.

SEGA's localization team at the time was trying to slot the series into that genre. so changing the name to the "harder" term Yakuza (expecting the audience to recognize the word as = Japanese gangsters, kind of like the Mafia series.) was one of the simpler options. they also did go the route of making an english dub featuring somewhat known actors and tons of swearing alongside it.

needless to say, they quickly realized that was a terrible idea. but remenants of it lasted for quite a while. such as this infamous Yakuza 4 trailer that describes the protagonists as "nasty bad bad people"

I do agree with the digital library problem (more reason console makers should let us sort our games how we want!) but also it’s weird to have a series called Yakuza where the characters are less and less involved with the Yakuza.

to the point where the yakuza no longer exist
Eh, it'd be like if Capcom changed Resident Evil to Biohazard after RE7. Like, yeah it's the Japanese name, but it's incredibly fucking stupid to change the name this late into the series, especially after you finally became popular in the west, canon reasoning be damned.

To be fair, renaming it to Like A Dragon after 7+ entries also kind of signaled a jumping on point for new players. Also it neatly divides the traditional punch&kick games from the ones with turn based combat.

To be fair, renaming it to Like A Dragon after 7+ entries also kind of signaled a jumping on point for new players. Also it neatly divides the traditional punch&kick games from the ones with turn based combat.
This. Though to be honest I think positioning Y:LaD as a jumping on point was a terrible idea in retrospect considering that 8/Infinite Wealth has seemingly deep plot hooks into 6, which in itself opens on 5's ending and needs 0-5 as context to make the story hit as hard as intended. They really should've called it Like A Dragon 2

I don’t think the plot ties to 6 will be all that strong. They seem to be ditching Onomichi and Okinawa pretty much entirely.

As long as you understand that Kiryu is supposed to be in hiding, you should probably be fine. Playing the Kiryu saga obviously would help, but I don’t think it’s gonna be necessary.

Oh man, this audio mixing is dreadful. Can’t hear the translators at all.

Hope they keep that logo intro though, that was fire.

Back
Top Bottom